New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by RazielSR » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:41 pm

...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

TwilightEagle
Sr. Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by TwilightEagle » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:22 pm

RazielSR wrote:This is a really cool performance.

http://www.nelonen.fi/ohjelmat/maria/et ... ndre-matos
Yes it is. :) Andre's voice in that songs reminds me a bit like Lead Us Into The Light and in the good way.

AAAAAAAAAA
Sr. Member
Posts: 3301
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:12 pm

TwilightEagle wrote:
RazielSR wrote:This is a really cool performance.

http://www.nelonen.fi/ohjelmat/maria/et ... ndre-matos
Yes it is. :) Andre's voice in that songs reminds me a bit like Lead Us Into The Light and in the good way.
So hear I stand.............allll alooooooone.......... :lol:

User avatar
crostrato
Member
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:35 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by crostrato » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:21 pm

RazielSR wrote:This is a really cool performance.

http://www.nelonen.fi/ohjelmat/maria/et ... ndre-matos
This is so great, so great.

User avatar
robocop656
Sr. Member
Posts: 2312
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: pæniš
Contact:

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by robocop656 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:43 pm

Are you kidding me? A melodica? Blow me. I'm done with this jizz mess.

User avatar
Susie
Sr. Member
Posts: 604
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:05 am
Location: Santiago / Chile

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by Susie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:40 am

Great video quality :) Mr Matos is working it... "Carry on"

Image

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by RazielSR » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:09 pm

On the Symfonia's site, theres a sample of Don't let me go too: http://www.symfonia.fi/
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by RazielSR » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Somre reviews posted in Symfonia's forum about In Paradisum album:
Have you ever had Spam? No, not those pesky e-mails telling you that you’ve inherited millions of dollars from random Nigerian dudes, but the canned luncheon meat. It’s a portmanteau for “spiced ham”, though whether or not its contents are even real meat slices is debatable. There’s something a bit unsettling about eating Spam – it tastes like ham, but something feels a bit “Off” all the same. If you can manage to convince yourself that you’re eating a completely original and legitimate meat product, however, it can be enjoyable. This is a bit like Timo Tolkki’s latest project, Symfonia. The project’s debut album In Paradisum sounds almost EXACTLY like standard Stratovarius on first listen, whether it be melodies, riffs, or even guitar tone and keyboard effects. The sheer number of indisputable similarities is downright weird. Yet if you dig a bit deeper you’ll discover a few unique twists that help In Paradisum to almost stand on its own regardless of its Stratovarius-isms. But to do this, you still have to push the instinctual thought from your mind that you’re listening to a Stratovarius release.

In Paradisum raises several questions from me. Why did Tolkki sign the Stratovarius name over to the rest of the band if he was going to keep making music that is undoubtedly rooted in the band’s style? Was this his plan all along, or did he become jealous of Stratovarius’ success with its comeback album Elysium and decide to make his own resurrection of the band’s classic sound? In all honestly, it’s pretty damn odd that Symfonia exists in this form, especially when considering the high publicized Tolkki vs. Strato conflict. Yet exist it does, and Tolkki has recruited Andre Matos (Angra) on vocals, fellow ex-Strato member Jari Kainulainen on bass, Mikko Harkin (Sonata Arctica) on keyboards, and Uli Kusch (Helloween) on drums. All musicians do an admirable job; this is handsomely performed melodic power metal, filled with solid musicianship. Andre Matos, unfortunately, is barely a shadow of his former self. I cringe whenever he strains to reach a high note, and his vibrato is practically non-existent. His voice is hardly recognizable, and although he fairs well on the not-so-intense tracks, I have to question his validity as a metal vocalist at this point.

For the first half the album, things sound almost strictly like Stratovarius; there’s fast songs, a mid-paced song, and a totally mediocre ballad, and they all might as well have been ripped straight from Infinite. At the same time, however, several melodies convey styles reminiscent of more traditional power metal bands like Keepers II-era Helloween or early Avantasia, which really ups the appeal of these first few songs. But this is still nothing special… at least until the second half of the album comes on. And then things get interesting. Pilgrim Road instantly grabbed my attention with its folky style; the title track In Paradisum makes for a very catchy “long” song at over nine minutes; Rhapsody in Black sports a very cool central riff and chorus; and the closing ballad Don’t Let Me Go is surpringly good, and a track that would’ve fit in well on Angra’s Holy Land album. There are some genuinely memorable moments throughout the album, and In Paradisum truly did away with my expectation that it would be yet another forgettable Timo Tolkki project.

Despite the uniqueness of some of the songs, it still feels like Symfonia is the product of an alternate history where Tolkki stuck with Stratovarius after the self-titled album and turned the band around for the better. As enjoyable as In Paradisum is, I can’t really give it a higher score than I’m awarding it due to the fact that at its core it’s still a Strato album. Some may call this a poor review because I compared Symfonia to Stratovarius in every paragraph, but the truth is that it’s nearly impossible not to. Listen to the album yourself and you’ll instantly hear what I mean. And listen to it you should - In Paradisum is a very solid power metal release packed with memorable songwriting. It may not stand the test of time with the best Stratovarius albums, but it’s a very safe purchase for melodic power metal fans.

Pros: Great songwriting, solid musicianship, album grows better and more varied as it goes along

Cons: Basically a Stratovarius album under a different band name, Andre’s vocals are awful at times


Killing Songs : Fields of Avalon, Forevermore, Pilgrim Road, In Paradisum, Rhapsody in Black

http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/detail.php3?id=7020


[6.5/10] If this were 1997, Symfonia would be the biggest since like...ever. But it's not, rather, a dreaded "supergroup" consisting of once-viable power metal cast-offs, most notably ex-Stratovarius guitarist Timo Tolkki and former Angra frontman Andre Matos. Rounding the out the lineup are former members of Helloween/Masterplan (drummer Uli Kusch), Stratovarius/Evergrey (bassist Jari Kainulainen) and Sonata Arctica (keyboardist Mikko Harkin). Basically, this is like the Island of Misfit toys, power metal-style.

In Paradisum is essentially a Stratovarius album, just with a dried-out Matos on the microphone. The man's once stratospheric voice no longer has the same finesse to it, and he's always been better suited to sing over more flamboyant and ethnic material, as proven by his nearly unbeatable output in Angra's early days (i.e. "Carolina IV," "Never Understand"). Matos does have some peppy moments on "Forevermore," a song that does its best Keeper-era Helloween impression, but Tolkki's rather straight and unexciting compositions don't allow Matos to flex his vocal muscle. It's either that, or he simply can't do it anymore. Would be a shame - the Brazilian once possessed the mightiest yelp in the Southern Hemisphere.

Tolkki has dipped back into his neo-classical power metal bag of tricks on opener "Fields of Avalon" and the goofy "Santiago," and yeah, the Finn can still shred, his compositions sound incredibly dated. This was the kind of stuff that everyone was totally enamored with during Strato's glory days (basically Visions through Infinite), but here, it fails to cut through. The ballad "Pilgrim Road" is boring, while the title track and "I Walk In Neon" (really? who walks in "neon?") is simply filler.

In Paradisum is going to be a tough sell, for Stratovarius are back on track with Elysium, Angra continues to truck along, and Helloween and Sonata Arctica have long cemented their respective legacies. Whether each group is better with or without the involved parties in Symfonia is unclear, but in what should have been a fierce, testy power metal showcase, turned into a tepid and flat effort.
http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/fpen ... x/4/link/1


There’s a band I’m not going mention in this review. In fact there’s a box with their name on it, and every time I do I have to put a quid in for the Thrash Hits Christmas party. It’s the band Timo Tolkki used to be in, and I don’t want anyone comparing Symfonia to them in any way. Why? Because Symfonia’s first album In Paradisum stands up on its own without needing the association. New band, new members, new bundle of joy. Clear? Good.

Joining the legendary axeman for this wondrous uplifting venture are ex-Angra vocal gymnast Andre Matos, ex-Helloween drummer Uli Kusch, ex-Sonata Arctica keyboard athlete Mikko Harkin and Tolkki’s long-time bandmate Jari Kainulainen on bass. With that pedigree, it shouldn’t really surprise anyone to learn that A) they’re playing power metal and B) it’s bloody fantastic.

The general feel and lyrical themes – hope when everything seems hopeless, friendship, fidelity and optimism – are both precisely what you expect and exactly what you want. Everyone involved sounds utterly delighted to be part of this new project, and the result is is the kind of record that only the most miserable of bastards can listen to without a sizeable smile on their faces.

Over and above the sheer pleasurable feel of In Paradisum is the gargantuan, infectious nature of the music. The choruses are so hook-laden that there are songs you can sing along to right from the first play, from pacey opener ‘Fields Of Avalon‘ and it’s more gentle follow-up ‘Come By The Hills‘ through the epic title track to wistful closer ‘Don’t Let Me Go‘. The quality is utterly relentless – even the sodding ballads are top drawer.

Obviously given the importance of the signature Tolkki riffage and shred on power metal – and the Finnish variety specifically – it is perhaps unsurprising that, in many ways In Paradisum sounds rather distinctively Finnish itself. However, the presence of Andre Matos does subtly but significantly affect the sound to the extent that the predictable comparison is rather wide of the mark. Symfonia feels more than just the sum of the members’ prior bands- it feels like a new breath of fresh air into the movement.

In Paradisum is a total triumph, a cracking array of memorable songs and positivity that is gleefully OTT. Symfonia sound like a project with vast amounts to offer, both now in the shape of this slab of bliss, and hopefully for years to come. All the pieces may have been in place for this to work brilliantly, but that the effort has come off as splendidly as this seems to speak volumes about how invigorated the ensemble is with what they’re doing- and how working with their new bandmates has stimulated them creatively.

We’ve got the real Timo Tolkki back, and how we’ve missed him.

4.5/6

Sounds like: Helloween, Thunderstone… fuck it, and Stratovarius
Top tracks: Come By The Hills, In Paradisum, Don’t Let Me Go.

http://www.thrashhits.com/2011/03/album ... paradisum/
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

User avatar
stratodan1990
Member
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:29 pm
Location: UK

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by stratodan1990 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:34 pm

RazielSR wrote:Somre reviews posted in Symfonia's forum about In Paradisum album:
Have you ever had Spam? No, not those pesky e-mails telling you that you’ve inherited millions of dollars from random Nigerian dudes, but the canned luncheon meat. It’s a portmanteau for “spiced ham”, though whether or not its contents are even real meat slices is debatable. There’s something a bit unsettling about eating Spam – it tastes like ham, but something feels a bit “Off” all the same. If you can manage to convince yourself that you’re eating a completely original and legitimate meat product, however, it can be enjoyable. This is a bit like Timo Tolkki’s latest project, Symfonia. The project’s debut album In Paradisum sounds almost EXACTLY like standard Stratovarius on first listen, whether it be melodies, riffs, or even guitar tone and keyboard effects. The sheer number of indisputable similarities is downright weird. Yet if you dig a bit deeper you’ll discover a few unique twists that help In Paradisum to almost stand on its own regardless of its Stratovarius-isms. But to do this, you still have to push the instinctual thought from your mind that you’re listening to a Stratovarius release.

In Paradisum raises several questions from me. Why did Tolkki sign the Stratovarius name over to the rest of the band if he was going to keep making music that is undoubtedly rooted in the band’s style? Was this his plan all along, or did he become jealous of Stratovarius’ success with its comeback album Elysium and decide to make his own resurrection of the band’s classic sound? In all honestly, it’s pretty damn odd that Symfonia exists in this form, especially when considering the high publicized Tolkki vs. Strato conflict. Yet exist it does, and Tolkki has recruited Andre Matos (Angra) on vocals, fellow ex-Strato member Jari Kainulainen on bass, Mikko Harkin (Sonata Arctica) on keyboards, and Uli Kusch (Helloween) on drums. All musicians do an admirable job; this is handsomely performed melodic power metal, filled with solid musicianship. Andre Matos, unfortunately, is barely a shadow of his former self. I cringe whenever he strains to reach a high note, and his vibrato is practically non-existent. His voice is hardly recognizable, and although he fairs well on the not-so-intense tracks, I have to question his validity as a metal vocalist at this point.

For the first half the album, things sound almost strictly like Stratovarius; there’s fast songs, a mid-paced song, and a totally mediocre ballad, and they all might as well have been ripped straight from Infinite. At the same time, however, several melodies convey styles reminiscent of more traditional power metal bands like Keepers II-era Helloween or early Avantasia, which really ups the appeal of these first few songs. But this is still nothing special… at least until the second half of the album comes on. And then things get interesting. Pilgrim Road instantly grabbed my attention with its folky style; the title track In Paradisum makes for a very catchy “long” song at over nine minutes; Rhapsody in Black sports a very cool central riff and chorus; and the closing ballad Don’t Let Me Go is surpringly good, and a track that would’ve fit in well on Angra’s Holy Land album. There are some genuinely memorable moments throughout the album, and In Paradisum truly did away with my expectation that it would be yet another forgettable Timo Tolkki project.

Despite the uniqueness of some of the songs, it still feels like Symfonia is the product of an alternate history where Tolkki stuck with Stratovarius after the self-titled album and turned the band around for the better. As enjoyable as In Paradisum is, I can’t really give it a higher score than I’m awarding it due to the fact that at its core it’s still a Strato album. Some may call this a poor review because I compared Symfonia to Stratovarius in every paragraph, but the truth is that it’s nearly impossible not to. Listen to the album yourself and you’ll instantly hear what I mean. And listen to it you should - In Paradisum is a very solid power metal release packed with memorable songwriting. It may not stand the test of time with the best Stratovarius albums, but it’s a very safe purchase for melodic power metal fans.

Pros: Great songwriting, solid musicianship, album grows better and more varied as it goes along

Cons: Basically a Stratovarius album under a different band name, Andre’s vocals are awful at times


Killing Songs : Fields of Avalon, Forevermore, Pilgrim Road, In Paradisum, Rhapsody in Black

http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/detail.php3?id=7020


[6.5/10] If this were 1997, Symfonia would be the biggest since like...ever. But it's not, rather, a dreaded "supergroup" consisting of once-viable power metal cast-offs, most notably ex-Stratovarius guitarist Timo Tolkki and former Angra frontman Andre Matos. Rounding the out the lineup are former members of Helloween/Masterplan (drummer Uli Kusch), Stratovarius/Evergrey (bassist Jari Kainulainen) and Sonata Arctica (keyboardist Mikko Harkin). Basically, this is like the Island of Misfit toys, power metal-style.

In Paradisum is essentially a Stratovarius album, just with a dried-out Matos on the microphone. The man's once stratospheric voice no longer has the same finesse to it, and he's always been better suited to sing over more flamboyant and ethnic material, as proven by his nearly unbeatable output in Angra's early days (i.e. "Carolina IV," "Never Understand"). Matos does have some peppy moments on "Forevermore," a song that does its best Keeper-era Helloween impression, but Tolkki's rather straight and unexciting compositions don't allow Matos to flex his vocal muscle. It's either that, or he simply can't do it anymore. Would be a shame - the Brazilian once possessed the mightiest yelp in the Southern Hemisphere.

Tolkki has dipped back into his neo-classical power metal bag of tricks on opener "Fields of Avalon" and the goofy "Santiago," and yeah, the Finn can still shred, his compositions sound incredibly dated. This was the kind of stuff that everyone was totally enamored with during Strato's glory days (basically Visions through Infinite), but here, it fails to cut through. The ballad "Pilgrim Road" is boring, while the title track and "I Walk In Neon" (really? who walks in "neon?") is simply filler.

In Paradisum is going to be a tough sell, for Stratovarius are back on track with Elysium, Angra continues to truck along, and Helloween and Sonata Arctica have long cemented their respective legacies. Whether each group is better with or without the involved parties in Symfonia is unclear, but in what should have been a fierce, testy power metal showcase, turned into a tepid and flat effort.
http://www.blistering.com/fastpage/fpen ... x/4/link/1


There’s a band I’m not going mention in this review. In fact there’s a box with their name on it, and every time I do I have to put a quid in for the Thrash Hits Christmas party. It’s the band Timo Tolkki used to be in, and I don’t want anyone comparing Symfonia to them in any way. Why? Because Symfonia’s first album In Paradisum stands up on its own without needing the association. New band, new members, new bundle of joy. Clear? Good.

Joining the legendary axeman for this wondrous uplifting venture are ex-Angra vocal gymnast Andre Matos, ex-Helloween drummer Uli Kusch, ex-Sonata Arctica keyboard athlete Mikko Harkin and Tolkki’s long-time bandmate Jari Kainulainen on bass. With that pedigree, it shouldn’t really surprise anyone to learn that A) they’re playing power metal and B) it’s bloody fantastic.

The general feel and lyrical themes – hope when everything seems hopeless, friendship, fidelity and optimism – are both precisely what you expect and exactly what you want. Everyone involved sounds utterly delighted to be part of this new project, and the result is is the kind of record that only the most miserable of bastards can listen to without a sizeable smile on their faces.

Over and above the sheer pleasurable feel of In Paradisum is the gargantuan, infectious nature of the music. The choruses are so hook-laden that there are songs you can sing along to right from the first play, from pacey opener ‘Fields Of Avalon‘ and it’s more gentle follow-up ‘Come By The Hills‘ through the epic title track to wistful closer ‘Don’t Let Me Go‘. The quality is utterly relentless – even the sodding ballads are top drawer.

Obviously given the importance of the signature Tolkki riffage and shred on power metal – and the Finnish variety specifically – it is perhaps unsurprising that, in many ways In Paradisum sounds rather distinctively Finnish itself. However, the presence of Andre Matos does subtly but significantly affect the sound to the extent that the predictable comparison is rather wide of the mark. Symfonia feels more than just the sum of the members’ prior bands- it feels like a new breath of fresh air into the movement.

In Paradisum is a total triumph, a cracking array of memorable songs and positivity that is gleefully OTT. Symfonia sound like a project with vast amounts to offer, both now in the shape of this slab of bliss, and hopefully for years to come. All the pieces may have been in place for this to work brilliantly, but that the effort has come off as splendidly as this seems to speak volumes about how invigorated the ensemble is with what they’re doing- and how working with their new bandmates has stimulated them creatively.

We’ve got the real Timo Tolkki back, and how we’ve missed him.

4.5/6

Sounds like: Helloween, Thunderstone… fuck it, and Stratovarius
Top tracks: Come By The Hills, In Paradisum, Don’t Let Me Go.

http://www.thrashhits.com/2011/03/album ... paradisum/
Thanks for the posts! The first review is pretty much EXACTLY how I see all these new Symfonia songs.

User avatar
robocop656
Sr. Member
Posts: 2312
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: pæniš
Contact:

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by robocop656 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:50 pm

tolkki god!!! symfonia best group ever!!! \m/


^^^^^*taken from youtube comment*^^^^

User avatar
Febo
Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 pm
Location: Maassluis, Netherlands

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by Febo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 pm

robocop656 wrote:tolkki god!!! symfonia best group ever!!! \m/


^^^^^*taken from youtube comment*^^^^
:lol:

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by Rebel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:53 pm

robocop656 wrote:tolkki god!!! symfonia best group ever!!! \m/


^^^^^*taken from youtube comment*^^^^
inb4 Eternity Strato ruins another thread.

eternity_strato
Sr. Member
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:02 pm

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by eternity_strato » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:05 pm

No, I'll stop. :)

I don't understand how really people can compare the masterpiece Elysium is (totally fresh and now but still holding the essence of Stratovarius) to this copycat (that sounds more to clones of stratovarius than stratovarius itself) with those non-innovative at all songs. They had not made a song worthy. Everything is full of clichés and "the same over and over again". While Elysium has its own life and breath but still sounding fresh and now and, italics and caps, ORIGINAL.

I really appreciated Tolkki composing in Strato (man, even in his worst days in the band, he made songs that I love! Maniac Dance, Fight, Back to Madness (one day I'll explain everything about this one and why it is one of the top 10 songs Strato will ever have), United... And Elements 2, I love it as well! What I don't like is Tolkki making this "i say it will be something new but sounds like a 14-year-old composing in his garage copying everything Tolkki does". Really, does he not realize that he sounds totally like a charade of himself? Maybe the guy should try something new, or be innovative like Stratovarius have been with Matias on guitar.

Elz
Member
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:23 pm

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by Elz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:16 pm

eternity_strato wrote:No, I'll stop. :)

I don't understand how really people can compare the masterpiece Elysium is (totally fresh and now but still holding the essence of Stratovarius) to this copycat (that sounds more to clones of stratovarius than stratovarius itself) with those non-innovative at all songs. They had not made a song worthy. Everything is full of clichés and "the same over and over again". While Elysium has its own life and breath but still sounding fresh and now and, italics and caps, ORIGINAL.

I really appreciated Tolkki composing in Strato (man, even in his worst days in the band, he made songs that I love! Maniac Dance, Fight, Back to Madness (one day I'll explain everything about this one and why it is one of the top 10 songs Strato will ever have), United... And Elements 2, I love it as well! What I don't like is Tolkki making this "i say it will be something new but sounds like a 14-year-old composing in his garage copying everything Tolkki does". Really, does he not realize that he sounds totally like a charade of himself? Maybe the guy should try something new, or be innovative like Stratovarius have been with Matias on guitar.
I don't understand why you always compare Elysium and In Paradisum. Elysium has nothing to do with IP. And how can you say all that, when you haven't even heard the whole album (in paradisum) ?

eternity_strato
Sr. Member
Posts: 1019
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:02 pm

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by eternity_strato » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:47 am

I didn't like a bit any of the stuff I've heard from Symfonia. And if I compare it to Elysium, it is very clear why.

Don't make me start on Pilgrim Road, which is possibly the worst "metal" song I've heard in AGES.

User avatar
valo_666
Sr. Member
Posts: 642
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:19 pm

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by valo_666 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:23 am

eternity_strato wrote:No, I'll stop. :)

I don't understand how really people can compare the masterpiece Elysium is (totally fresh and now but still holding the essence of Stratovarius) to this copycat (that sounds more to clones of stratovarius than stratovarius itself) with those non-innovative at all songs. They had not made a song worthy. Everything is full of clichés and "the same over and over again". While Elysium has its own life and breath but still sounding fresh and now and, italics and caps, ORIGINAL.

I really appreciated Tolkki composing in Strato (man, even in his worst days in the band, he made songs that I love! Maniac Dance, Fight, Back to Madness (one day I'll explain everything about this one and why it is one of the top 10 songs Strato will ever have), United... And Elements 2, I love it as well! What I don't like is Tolkki making this "i say it will be something new but sounds like a 14-year-old composing in his garage copying everything Tolkki does". Really, does he not realize that he sounds totally like a charade of himself? Maybe the guy should try something new, or be innovative like Stratovarius have been with Matias on guitar.
+1

It seems to me that this is a guy's attempt to get into the metal scene again at any cost, still sounding uninspired, uninspiring, extremely forced, on purpose and precooked.

User avatar
robocop656
Sr. Member
Posts: 2312
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: pæniš
Contact:

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by robocop656 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:40 am

My opinion isn't worth a damn but I do agree on that point. The stuff so far sounds forced. There's a thing all people can notice about anything. If somebody is faking or not. Natural instinct, I guess. =P

User avatar
BBBBBBBBB
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:56 am
Location: Loonyland, pancakehouse

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by BBBBBBBBB » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:32 am

robocop656 wrote:My opinion isn't worth a damn but I do agree on that point. The stuff so far sounds forced. There's a thing all people can notice about anything. If somebody is faking or not. Natural instinct, I guess. =P
I always fake it... :oops: :( :oops:

TwilightEagle
Sr. Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by TwilightEagle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:40 pm

eternity_strato wrote:No, I'll stop. :)

I don't understand how really people can compare the masterpiece Elysium is (totally fresh and now but still holding the essence of Stratovarius) to this copycat (that sounds more to clones of stratovarius than stratovarius itself) with those non-innovative at all songs. They had not made a song worthy. Everything is full of clichés and "the same over and over again". While Elysium has its own life and breath but still sounding fresh and now and, italics and caps, ORIGINAL.

I really appreciated Tolkki composing in Strato (man, even in his worst days in the band, he made songs that I love! Maniac Dance, Fight, Back to Madness (one day I'll explain everything about this one and why it is one of the top 10 songs Strato will ever have), United... And Elements 2, I love it as well! What I don't like is Tolkki making this "i say it will be something new but sounds like a 14-year-old composing in his garage copying everything Tolkki does". Really, does he not realize that he sounds totally like a charade of himself? Maybe the guy should try something new, or be innovative like Stratovarius have been with Matias on guitar.
There's no reason to compare Elysium and In Paradisum. Tolkki's trademark is Stratovarius like Power Metal, because he wrote most of Strato songs, so I don't understand why you complain about sounding like Stratovarius. Actually Tolkki tried to make different music with AoA, which I personally love, but I still think, that Stratovarius like Power Metal is his trademark. It's funny, that when AoA was released, some persons complained about "sounding too much different, than Statovarius" and when he makes Stratovarius like music they complain about "repeating the old ideas". Matias has his own trademark too, which really like.

User avatar
robocop656
Sr. Member
Posts: 2312
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: pæniš
Contact:

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by robocop656 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:35 pm

I GUESS YOU COULD SAY SOME PEOPLE LIKE THEIR MUSIC TO BE PROGRESSING TOWARDS SOMETHING NEW, AND THE REST OF THE PEOPLE LIKE EVERYTHING TO STAY THE SAME. HA HA! GOODBYE.

TwilightEagle
Sr. Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by TwilightEagle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:07 pm

If Tolkki would have stayed in Stratovarius and record New Era and In Paradisum with Strato you'd like them, but when they aren't Stratovarius songs you don't like them. If they would be Stratovarius songs you'd say, that "they sounds like good old Strato", but when they're RR or Symfonia songs you're saying, that "they repeats the old things". That's a funny thing to understand.

User avatar
Febo
Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 pm
Location: Maassluis, Netherlands

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by Febo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:59 pm

TwilightEagle wrote:If Tolkki would have stayed in Stratovarius and record New Era and In Paradisum with Strato you'd like them, but when they aren't Stratovarius songs you don't like them. If they would be Stratovarius songs you'd say, that "they sounds like good old Strato", but when they're RR or Symfonia songs you're saying, that "they repeats the old things". That's a funny thing to understand.
I do not believe that's the point, or at least in my case it's not like that.
Tolkki's songs do not surprise anymore, Tolkki's skills as a guitarist do not impress anymore, if that ever did...
Matos is a talented dude, but his voice is a love it or hate it. I don't like him. But that's a personal taste so let it not count, still knowing how most of people that love him are here in Latin America because of what he has done for metal in the area.
You know what's actually funny? Tolkki claiming how Koti sounded forced in Polaris and "like shit" in Elysium...
Well, doesn't Matos sound forced in his own record? A record Tolkki himself mixed and produced. C'mon, just listen to that "Just follow meeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah" in "Fields of Avalon". Sorry, but that hurt my ears.
If this In Paradisum would have been released in 1996 then you're right, perhaps I would still have liked songs like "Fiels of Avalon" a lot. Under the name of Symfonia or Stratovarius.
Time and fans will say if Tolkki is here to stay, but I decided to let him go a long time ago.

User avatar
robocop656
Sr. Member
Posts: 2312
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: pæniš
Contact:

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by robocop656 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:18 pm

TwilightEagle wrote:If Tolkki would have stayed in Stratovarius and record New Era and In Paradisum with Strato you'd like them, but when they aren't Stratovarius songs you don't like them. If they would be Stratovarius songs you'd say, that "they sounds like good old Strato", but when they're RR or Symfonia songs you're saying, that "they repeats the old things". That's a funny thing to understand.

It sounds like Icecar. It looks like icecar. It must be icecar.

For the final fucking record, I don't give 2 testicles about anything. It's pretty simple actually. Either people will hate it or not. THE END. Take your armchair philosophy and download some REAL music. Like George Michael. And then give your Dad a back massage.

TwilightEagle
Sr. Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by TwilightEagle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:44 pm

Febo wrote:
TwilightEagle wrote:If Tolkki would have stayed in Stratovarius and record New Era and In Paradisum with Strato you'd like them, but when they aren't Stratovarius songs you don't like them. If they would be Stratovarius songs you'd say, that "they sounds like good old Strato", but when they're RR or Symfonia songs you're saying, that "they repeats the old things". That's a funny thing to understand.
I do not believe that's the point, or at least in my case it's not like that.
Tolkki's songs do not surprise anymore, Tolkki's skills as a guitarist do not impress anymore, if that ever did...
Matos is a talented dude, but his voice is a love it or hate it. I don't like him. But that's a personal taste so let it not count, still knowing how most of people that love him are here in Latin America because of what he has done for metal in the area.
You know what's actually funny? Tolkki claiming how Koti sounded forced in Polaris and "like shit" in Elysium...
Well, doesn't Matos sound forced in his own record? A record Tolkki himself mixed and produced. C'mon, just listen to that "Just follow meeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah" in "Fields of Avalon". Sorry, but that hurt my ears.
If this In Paradisum would have been released in 1996 then you're right, perhaps I would still have liked songs like "Fiels of Avalon" a lot. Under the name of Symfonia or Stratovarius.
Time and fans will say if Tolkki is here to stay, but I decided to let him go a long time ago.
Maybe not in your case, but sure there's persons who thinks like I said. This happens because some of Stratovarius fans are still offended at Tolkki, because of the happenings in 2004-2008. But they (and you too) should remember, that he was the guy who wrote all of the Stratovarius hits and without him there wouldn't be Polaris or Elysium exist (there's lot of TT influence in those both albums). Some of Strato fans has forgotten this. And you said that "Tolkki's guitar skills never impressed you". That's just a stupid sentence, because TT's and Matias guitar skills aren't very different.

User avatar
Febo
Member
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 pm
Location: Maassluis, Netherlands

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by Febo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:51 pm

TwilightEagle wrote:
Febo wrote:
TwilightEagle wrote:If Tolkki would have stayed in Stratovarius and record New Era and In Paradisum with Strato you'd like them, but when they aren't Stratovarius songs you don't like them. If they would be Stratovarius songs you'd say, that "they sounds like good old Strato", but when they're RR or Symfonia songs you're saying, that "they repeats the old things". That's a funny thing to understand.
I do not believe that's the point, or at least in my case it's not like that.
Tolkki's songs do not surprise anymore, Tolkki's skills as a guitarist do not impress anymore, if that ever did...
Matos is a talented dude, but his voice is a love it or hate it. I don't like him. But that's a personal taste so let it not count, still knowing how most of people that love him are here in Latin America because of what he has done for metal in the area.
You know what's actually funny? Tolkki claiming how Koti sounded forced in Polaris and "like shit" in Elysium...
Well, doesn't Matos sound forced in his own record? A record Tolkki himself mixed and produced. C'mon, just listen to that "Just follow meeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah" in "Fields of Avalon". Sorry, but that hurt my ears.
If this In Paradisum would have been released in 1996 then you're right, perhaps I would still have liked songs like "Fiels of Avalon" a lot. Under the name of Symfonia or Stratovarius.
Time and fans will say if Tolkki is here to stay, but I decided to let him go a long time ago.
Maybe not in your case, but sure there's persons who thinks like I said. This happens because some of Stratovarius fans are still offended at Tolkki, because of the happenings in 2004-2008. But they (and you too) should remember, that he was the guy who wrote all of the Stratovarius hits and without him there wouldn't be Polaris or Elysium exist (there's lot of TT influence in those both albums). Some of Strato fans has forgotten this. And you said that "Tolkki's guitar skills never impressed you". That's just a stupid sentence, because TT's and Matias guitar skills aren't very different.


O.O
If you say so...

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2123
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by Rebel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:59 pm

TwilightEagle wrote: because TT's and Matias guitar skills aren't very different.
I'd say I'm pretty even minded on the affair, Tolkki and Matias are COMPLETELY different guitar players. Radically different styles. I don't think is icecar, he'd never make a statement like that.

User avatar
robocop656
Sr. Member
Posts: 2312
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: pæniš
Contact:

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by robocop656 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh gawd. Eh!! I love making 10 pages of nothingness. All we need now is Ragehead to come back to own us with his Germany and TT to actually make an appearance under another new name. Wait...... :twak:

TwilightEagle
Sr. Member
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by TwilightEagle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Rebel wrote:
TwilightEagle wrote: because TT's and Matias guitar skills aren't very different.
I'd say I'm pretty even minded on the affair, Tolkki and Matias are COMPLETELY different guitar players. Radically different styles. I don't think is icecar, he'd never make a statement like that.
I don't think, that they're that much different. In Polaris Matias sounds like Tolkki more or less. Of course they're different, but in the live shows Matias plays the old songs like Tolkki. This is what I meant. I didn't mean, that they're completely similar. Febo's sentence "Tolkki's guitar skills never impressed" was something, what I can't understand. He totally forgot, that Tolkki was the guy who played the guitar parts of Episode and Visions, which Matias now plays.

User avatar
valo_666
Sr. Member
Posts: 642
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:19 pm

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by valo_666 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:27 pm

TwilightEagle wrote:
eternity_strato wrote:No, I'll stop. :)

I don't understand how really people can compare the masterpiece Elysium is (totally fresh and now but still holding the essence of Stratovarius) to this copycat (that sounds more to clones of stratovarius than stratovarius itself) with those non-innovative at all songs. They had not made a song worthy. Everything is full of clichés and "the same over and over again". While Elysium has its own life and breath but still sounding fresh and now and, italics and caps, ORIGINAL.

I really appreciated Tolkki composing in Strato (man, even in his worst days in the band, he made songs that I love! Maniac Dance, Fight, Back to Madness (one day I'll explain everything about this one and why it is one of the top 10 songs Strato will ever have), United... And Elements 2, I love it as well! What I don't like is Tolkki making this "i say it will be something new but sounds like a 14-year-old composing in his garage copying everything Tolkki does". Really, does he not realize that he sounds totally like a charade of himself? Maybe the guy should try something new, or be innovative like Stratovarius have been with Matias on guitar.
There's no reason to compare Elysium and In Paradisum. Tolkki's trademark is Stratovarius like Power Metal, because he wrote most of Strato songs, so I don't understand why you complain about sounding like Stratovarius. Actually Tolkki tried to make different music with AoA, which I personally love, but I still think, that Stratovarius like Power Metal is his trademark. It's funny, that when AoA was released, some persons complained about "sounding too much different, than Statovarius" and when he makes Stratovarius like music they complain about "repeating the old ideas". Matias has his own trademark too, which really like.
He'd WISH that Symfonia sounded like 2% similar to Stratovarius. Repeating the same 4 chord progressions over and over and over it is not repeating the Stratovarius formula, it is called compose an album in 3 days and make a good promotion campaign out of it.

User avatar
robocop656
Sr. Member
Posts: 2312
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: pæniš
Contact:

Re: New Symfonia song on YouTube 'In Paradisum'

Post by robocop656 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:24 am

Image

Post Reply