Sumerian's Review of "In Paradisum"

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
AGAG
Re: Sumerian's Review of "In Paradisum"

Post by AGAG » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Robocop: I pissed myself.. :cry:
---...---

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:13 pm

Sumerian, if you do want to do something for the world, kill yourself :)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:52 pm

It's not always about you
metal feeds the beast

Sumerian

Post by Sumerian » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:58 pm

eternity_strato wrote:Sumerian, if you do want to do something for the world, kill yourself :)
It is not even something to joke of, because it happened to someone very close to me many years ago. Fuck off.

Febo

Post by Febo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:32 pm

Sumerian wrote:
eternity_strato wrote:Sumerian, if you do want to do something for the world, kill yourself :)
It is not even something to joke of, because it happened to someone very close to me many years ago. Fuck off.
About Symfonia :) Is Uli getting any better? Or is it that he is actually not injured and just did himself a big favour by running away as far as he could even before the debut gig? :)

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:14 pm

LOL!

Raynold Layne

AAAAAA

Post by AAAAAA » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:28 pm

robocop656 wrote:LOL!

Raynold Layne
Raynold Z. Layne :D

Sumerian

Post by Sumerian » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:35 pm

Febo wrote:
Sumerian wrote:
About Symfonia :) Is Uli getting any better? Or is it that he is actually not injured and just did himself a big favour by running away as far as he could even before the debut gig? :)
Uli is basically fine. He is just waiting for surgery, for a very rare nerve damage in his left hand. All the guys in the band are supporting him through this and he will not be left alone.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:25 am

That's annoying
metal feeds the beast

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:56 am

Sumerian wrote:
Febo wrote:
Sumerian wrote:
Uli is basically fine. He is just waiting for surgery, for a very rare nerve damage in his left hand. All the guys in the band are supporting him through this and he will not be left alone.
So you copypasted Tolkkis comment just to troll us more?

Thats it you're ignored.

Sumerian

Post by Sumerian » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:49 am

Here is something else I will copy paste, just for you: FUCK YOU!

Sumerian

Post by Sumerian » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:50 am

hiro23 wrote:That's annoying
In this case it is an annoying glass of shit.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:24 am

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3204RxCeZZA?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3204RxCeZZA?fs=1&amp;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

There. Problem solved.

J- &#12373;&

Post by J- &#12373;& » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:00 am

HinatAArcticA wrote:<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3204RxCeZZA?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3204RxCeZZA?fs=1&amp;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

There. Problem solved.
That's nice.... :omg:

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:38 pm

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TEhSeaYTXm8?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TEhSeaYTXm8?fs=1&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Febo

Post by Febo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Sumerian wrote:
Febo wrote:
Sumerian wrote:
Oh, that's so nice to hear, he's a hell of a drummer. I thought he was hiding somewhere after he listened to what he wasted his skills, talent and time to produce :)

Have you read this?:

In Paradisum

Shit. - 30%

Right from the cover art you can tell this won’t be any good. I mean, there are more pinks and purples on there than on most Disney princess artworks! Don’t you people have any testicles at all? Fuck. Symfonia is the newest Timo Tolkki project and In Paradisum is their debut. Being that Tolkki has pretty much released worse and worse versions of the same old generic power metal for more than a decade now, it’s easy to assume this is a huge pile of monkey droppings and just skip it altogether. But it’s more than that! It’s a huge pile of monkey droppings made by a bunch of guys who have been playing this music for a long time! Oh the joys. Let’s make this a quick one.

Andre Matos is on vocals and his performance once again makes me think he’s had too much helium for breakfast. Uli Kusch on drums…well, won’t be long until he’s out, as he never stays in any band for very long anymore. The other members, assembled from random components of Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica, do competently, too, but it’s all just so piecemeal, so uninspiring. Haven’t we heard this a hundred times before? The production is excellent on this, but the songwriting is tepid and the opposite of anything remotely exciting. Nothing here is done in a way that makes me want to hear those old ideas again, either.

And it all succumbs so violently to the usual Tolkki clichés that will make anyone familiar with them want to vomit excessively. They’re like bad acne: overlong songs, repetitive, slow riffing, an influx of sappy, overly sentimental bathos and a lack of any balls. Songs like the woeful title track or the pointless, overly hyperactive “Santiago” underscore all the problems with this by themselves: directionless crap with too many parts that have nothing to do with one another. More fecal matter like “Rhapsody in Black” and “I Walk in Neon” starts cropping up especially toward the end of the album. Could be worse, though; we could have another “Mother Gaia” on our hands…eugh.

This is a very listenable album for the most part, but after a listen or two, it will start to offend you just by way of how shitty the songwriting is, and how lacking in any modicum of passion this all is. In Paradisum is moribund, uncreative hack work by a man who hasn’t had a good songwriting idea in a long, long time, and you should be ashamed if you actually buy into it. Fraudulent, meaningless junk for lobotomy patients and chimpanzees. One more for the incinerator.

Originally written for http://www.metalcrypt.com

The reviewer is nice. He has written many of those and it's one of the those few I almost always pretty much agree with :)

cheers, Timo

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:40 pm

LOL!

Raynold Z. Layne

AAAAAA

Post by AAAAAA » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:09 pm

robocop656 wrote:LOL!

Raynold Z. Layne
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sumerian

Post by Sumerian » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Febo wrote: Have you read this?:
When Tolkki releases AGE OF AQUARIUS, fans bitch about it because it is too different. When he releases IN PARADISUM, they have heard it before. As usual, he cannot do anything right for the fans. Fucking hell.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Sumerian wrote:
When Tolkki releases AGE OF AQUARIUS, fans bitch about it because it is too different. When he releases IN PARADISUM, they have heard it before. As usual, he cannot do anything right for the fans. Fucking hell.
Sanaa was good. Maybe Tolkki should always hire a pretty woman to do the singing. :wink: I hear Shirley Manson is available. 8)

One like this should do the trick. When she's not doing tricks...... :wink:

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Sumerian wrote:
Don't worry. Maybe you can tap into the 2010 conspiracy theory fans with the ancient alens theory in EGYPT and make 1,000 US dollars.

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Timo, the main problem is with you, not with your music. You have to keep in mind that you are posting on a forum where people were basically worshipping you. Visions album is still my number one of all times and Destiny is by far the best song I've ever heard. After writing/composing so many good songs you have nothing more to prove to the fans and the music industry. You shouldn't be let down by negative comments and low ratings.

So the problem is: people looked up on you. You were a music god to all of us, and it was really hard to take that you are just a human just like anyone of us. I believe that deep inside you are still the nice guy that you were back in the times when you were 100% healthy. What you have now is nothing to joke about, and I'm sure it's you who laughs the least on this situation.

You used to be a nice guy that always had good wishes to everyone he had met. Your music spread the message to love each other releasing our inner hate. Everyone thought that you took your own words seriously and I'm sure you did until the point things racked up and you got overloaded by all the stress input. Now we see you hate messaging people, going on forums trolling and flaming, saying "Fuck you" and "Fuck off" many times. It's not the Timo we used to know, it's not the Timo we used to love and look up to.

I think you'd be better off leaving the past and the Stratovarius fans behind. You have a new band now, a very strong line-up and a good new album. I'm sure it will be successful and if you keep on rocking, then the upcoming material will be even better to listen to.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:00 am

Beast_Pete wrote:Timo, the main problem is with you, not with your music. You have to keep in mind that you are posting on a forum where people were basically worshipping you. Visions album is still my number one of all times and Destiny is by far the best song I've ever heard. After writing/composing so many good songs you have nothing more to prove to the fans and the music industry. You shouldn't be let down by negative comments and low ratings.

So the problem is: people looked up on you. You were a music god to all of us, and it was really hard to take that you are just a human just like anyone of us. I believe that deep inside you are still the nice guy that you were back in the times when you were 100% healthy. What you have now is nothing to joke about, and I'm sure it's you who laughs the least on this situation.

You used to be a nice guy that always had good wishes to everyone he had met. Your music spread the message to love each other releasing our inner hate. Everyone thought that you took your own words seriously and I'm sure you did until the point things racked up and you got overloaded by all the stress input. Now we see you hate messaging people, going on forums trolling and flaming, saying "Fuck you" and "Fuck off" many times. It's not the Timo we used to know, it's not the Timo we used to love and look up to.

I think you'd be better off leaving the past and the Stratovarius fans behind. You have a new band now, a very strong line-up and a good new album. I'm sure it will be successful and if you keep on rocking, then the upcoming material will be even better to listen to.
Sumerian is not Timo Tolkki, Timo Tolkki is not reading your message.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:33 am

Rebel wrote:
Beast_Pete wrote:Timo, the main problem is with you, not with your music. You have to keep in mind that you are posting on a forum where people were basically worshipping you. Visions album is still my number one of all times and Destiny is by far the best song I've ever heard. After writing/composing so many good songs you have nothing more to prove to the fans and the music industry. You shouldn't be let down by negative comments and low ratings.

Sumerian is not Timo Tolkki, Timo Tolkki is not reading your message.
I hope he read this because is exactly what I think so+1
A9

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:44 am

Like I said before, the timeline is off. It seems like it is someone who is maybe trying to seem in ways like TT, but he isn't TT.

raindancer

Post by raindancer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Like I said before, the timeline is off. It seems like it is someone who is maybe trying to seem in ways like TT, but he isn't TT.
Yes, like I say it cannot be Tolkki. He has better things to do, than wasting his time in a forum of fools. The guys are already working on next Symfonia album, for release later this year which will contain epic 30-minute track. There is no room for games here.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:29 am

It works both ways Sumerian, I've seen people give Stratovarius bad reviews just because they don't have Tolkki anymore.

Either you like the music or you don't, personal problems should be left out.
metal feeds the beast

J- &#12373;&

Post by J- &#12373;& » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:29 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Depends on people's taste, I'd say.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:39 am

Many of you seem to say that he is not the same anymore. Yet I think he would have acted and responded pretty similarily if people would have commented on him this way in the 90s.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:12 am

Ok, let me go a little bit serious now :lol:
I'll post my review...

I love Tolkki and his music. Many of his songs have helped me on hard times, but let's try to do this as objective as possible.

The first thing I'd like to point out, is that this reminds me of Cain's Offering's Gather the Faithfull, and that is, a generic Power Metal album that adds nothing to the mix of today's power metal, and sounds SO hard like Avantasia's two metal operas. But where Gather the Faithfull felt a little pretentious, this one I think is just Tolkki being Tolkki... I mean, after more than 20 years, it's I think it's just natural to expect, and to me, sounds better than RR's last album, Trinity that was just a mess.

Fields of Avalon: This is what you get if you mixed Angra with Stratovarius. The song is fast and powerfull, and it's Tolkki writing fast melodic stuff. Nothing new, as making a safe move. I liked it. The chorus sounds so much like Avantasia's Shelter From the Rain.

Come by the Hills: This one reminds me of tracks like Last Night on Earth or I did it my way. I kindda like it, but again. Nothing impresive or new. It's a solid track.

Santiago: Another ok track. But I don't really like Matos's voice in this particular chorus. The song has a stronger feel of Heavy Metal than the opener track. Just ok I think. The acoustic break was a nice touch.

Alayana: I liked Angel in New Era. This one is a cute song, but didn't really hoked me as the RR song.

Forever More: This one joins Malmsteen's Forever is a Long Time, Sonata Arctica's 8th Commandment, SOAD's BYOB, RR's Heroes and Stratovarius's Forever is Today in the list of songs that start with the guitar making a riff on the E string, but half a step lower on Eb. Weaker than Fields of Avalon or Santiago.

Pilgrim Road: This one has a "celtic" feel to it, simmilar to RR's Into the Future, from
Age of Aquarius
. The song feels fresh at this point in the album, but the chrous isn't really that memorable.

In Paradisum: Ok, after listening to Strato's Elysium and as I've never liked Tolkki's epics, I wasn't expecting to really like this song.
And... I didn't :). I think it goes to slow and it changes very little through the whole song, being Mikko's solo the best part I think. This one is better than some Tolkki's epics in Strato, but I think is not strong enough to be the track that gives the album it's name, and doesn't really make want to return to it as Elisium, and witht those female choruses, I feel it again too simmilar to Avantasia, this time to the song The Tower which is a better song I think.

Rhapsody in Black: At this point, I'm starting to get bored. The song is not bad, but at this point, and after In Paradisum it's just hard to really go anywhere. Not a bad song though, just didn't really cared for it.

I Walk the Neon: Better than the previous song, has a feel simmilar to Hunting High and Low and Eagleheart... so that makes it again nothing new, and is not as memorable as the mentioned Stratovarius songs. If this had been like the opener for a second Symfonia album, I would care more for it, but here, just feels like filler.

Don't let me Go: These acoustic guitar based songs like Forever and The Land of Ice and Snow are, I think, antoher type of music Tolkki knows to do well. It's a good closer to the album, but only makes me wish it had came right after In Paradisum, because at this point I was just wating for this closer song. I just got bored with the past two songs.

Overall, the albumn is not really terrible, nor amazing. Is a good new Tolkki album, but there's no Revolution to it. The music feels like an Avantasian+Strato thing with Matos on the vocals. Some tracks are powerfull and beautifull, others just feel like filler. It's a good starting album, but if Symfonia is supossed to last, I think Tolkki will have to try something else, or the band will feel too repetitive like these guys right here:

I liked In Paradisum, but won't be enough for a second album.