Bad Review about the performance of Stratovarius live....

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Lord_ZX
Bad Review about the performance of Stratovarius live....

Post by Lord_ZX » Thu May 05, 2011 12:09 am

Stratovarius plays this 29 of april in Chile... here is the review: (its in spanish)...

http://www.rockaxis.com/live_reviewxs_v ... ts_id=6956

They not sound good, so sad :cry:
Im Hunting High and Low,
Sometimes I may win,
sometimes I´ll lose It´s just a game that I play

Ilsekena

Re: Bad Review about the performance of Stratovarius live....

Post by Ilsekena » Thu May 05, 2011 1:12 am

Can you translate it plz?

Susie

Post by Susie » Thu May 05, 2011 2:05 am

Clearly the guy who wrote the review, Jaime Contreras, is jealous of Strato's boogie!!! :lol:

I'd translate it but it's really long and I don't have time now :oops:

Sorry Image

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Thu May 05, 2011 2:50 am

Let me do it:
Some asshole wrote: Stratovarius - The Strength of the Good Songs

Let's not rush things. The pumpking (Helloween...) had a very special guest to their dinner. The Finnish guys from Stratovarius came out to prove they are not outdated, and to try to forget Timo Tolkki's ghost and to keep high their very well earned prestige, collected with so many years of career. The band, under Kotipelto's lead, left a lot, and I mean A LOT to be desired, in what I thought was their lowest presentation they've ever had in our country.

It was clear that they were not the main dish, but that gave them the chance to make a more round show, to condese in 60 minutes, the best of their career, to give a compact show, and they were not able to do it. For several reasons: First, execution. There were very manifest mistakes when performing the themes, very disorganized at times. They had to start "Eagleheart" twice, since the first time it just didn't start. As a matter of fact, with one of their good themes from the new album "Elysium", Infernal Maze, offered a point of view, and potholes were there. It's just that Stratovarius's presentation was all over the place too much, and that's unforgivable for a band of their category. This is not the time, but we could argue with loosley how much they lost with Tolkki's departure, since Stratovarius today -at least on the stage- is not even the shadow of what they were 10 years ago. Now, as an excuse, we could say that Jörg Michael is comming out of a terrible disease, and not anybody can step out on stage on their instrument on such a strenous and long gig, and do it with a smile. Good for the german.

What saved their show, and made the people plased of having bought the ticket, were the songs. People was there to listen to classic themes, that have marked them, and Stratovarius has many. How not to bang our heads to "Phoenix", how not to sing "Kiss of Judas", or "Paradise". How not to get emocionated with "Forever", essential themes in the discography of any love of the style. But even having less time and with the chanse of making a round show, there was one song, "Winter Skies", a dull song that was not good on the album, and was not good live either.

Nother big responsable of the show not being of the required quality, was Kotipelto's poor performance. It's true that he excused with health motives, it' already been a long time without signing on how he has us used to. It's clear that age is heavy, and today he salvages it with a very well vocal technique, that makes some out of tune notes, and the incapability of reaching high notes, are not as bad as could be without that technique.

Anyway, as has been said, the strong part of Stratovarius were the gons, as well as Lauri Porra and Maitas Kupiainen printing a new fresh view to the band's musical propose. We'll see how this line up works when they are the main dish of a gig. Tonight, Stratovaris qualifyed with just the fair.
The review was VERY bad written (grammatically I mean...), but I tried to fix it as best as I could. The guy was obviously in that gig for Helloween, and I don't know how bad it really was. I mean, the band was great in México. Sure Kotipelto is not in his best shape, but the band was very secure and with a very strong performance. All, from Matias, through Jens, Lauri and Jörg played with perfection. And the fact that he says the band "lost so much with Tolkki's departure", I think just shows that the guy doesn't really know the new Stratovarius at all. That's why I don't like to compare Tolkki Strato, with Post-Tolkki Strato. Elysium is my favorite Stratovarius album ever, but that's from a musical point of view. Also, the last years with Tolkki live were MUCH worse than today, and Wacken 2007 is the stongest proof.

I think is a very... subjective review, not that fair. The fact that he enjoyed some of the songs he mentioned, is because they obviously played them well. But well, whatever xD

To Jens:
Do you honestly feel that gig in Chile had some REAL bad technicall mistakes when playing? Because the guy writtes it as if you guys were DragonForce :?
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:27 am

a bad review....?!!? what the fuck are people thinking this days.
A9

TheLegendaryDreamer

Post by TheLegendaryDreamer » Thu May 05, 2011 4:31 am

Sumerian is probably the one who wrote that.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Thu May 05, 2011 4:53 am

TheLegendaryDreamer wrote:Sumerian is probably the one who wrote that.

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Thu May 05, 2011 10:09 am

HinatAArcticA wrote:Let me do it:
Some asshole wrote: Stratovarius - The Strength of the Good Songs

Let's not rush things. The pumpking (Helloween...) had a very special guest to their dinner. The Finnish guys from Stratovarius came out to prove they are not outdated, and to try to forget Timo Tolkki's ghost and to keep high their very well earned prestige, collected with so many years of career. The band, under Kotipelto's lead, left a lot, and I mean A LOT to be desired, in what I thought was their lowest presentation they've ever had in our country.

It was clear that they were not the main dish, but that gave them the chance to make a more round show, to condese in 60 minutes, the best of their career, to give a compact show, and they were not able to do it. For several reasons: First, execution. There were very manifest mistakes when performing the themes, very disorganized at times. They had to start "Eagleheart" twice, since the first time it just didn't start. As a matter of fact, with one of their good themes from the new album "Elysium", Infernal Maze, offered a point of view, and potholes were there. It's just that Stratovarius's presentation was all over the place too much, and that's unforgivable for a band of their category. This is not the time, but we could argue with loosley how much they lost with Tolkki's departure, since Stratovarius today -at least on the stage- is not even the shadow of what they were 10 years ago. Now, as an excuse, we could say that Jörg Michael is comming out of a terrible disease, and not anybody can step out on stage on their instrument on such a strenous and long gig, and do it with a smile. Good for the german.

What saved their show, and made the people plased of having bought the ticket, were the songs. People was there to listen to classic themes, that have marked them, and Stratovarius has many. How not to bang our heads to "Phoenix", how not to sing "Kiss of Judas", or "Paradise". How not to get emocionated with "Forever", essential themes in the discography of any love of the style. But even having less time and with the chanse of making a round show, there was one song, "Winter Skies", a dull song that was not good on the album, and was not good live either.

Nother big responsable of the show not being of the required quality, was Kotipelto's poor performance. It's true that he excused with health motives, it' already been a long time without signing on how he has us used to. It's clear that age is heavy, and today he salvages it with a very well vocal technique, that makes some out of tune notes, and the incapability of reaching high notes, are not as bad as could be without that technique.

Anyway, as has been said, the strong part of Stratovarius were the gons, as well as Lauri Porra and Maitas Kupiainen printing a new fresh view to the band's musical propose. We'll see how this line up works when they are the main dish of a gig. Tonight, Stratovaris qualifyed with just the fair.
The review was VERY bad written (grammatically I mean...), but I tried to fix it as best as I could. The guy was obviously in that gig for Helloween, and I don't know how bad it really was. I mean, the band was great in México. Sure Kotipelto is not in his best shape, but the band was very secure and with a very strong performance. All, from Matias, through Jens, Lauri and Jörg played with perfection. And the fact that he says the band "lost so much with Tolkki's departure", I think just shows that the guy doesn't really know the new Stratovarius at all. That's why I don't like to compare Tolkki Strato, with Post-Tolkki Strato. Elysium is my favorite Stratovarius album ever, but that's from a musical point of view. Also, the last years with Tolkki live were MUCH worse than today, and Wacken 2007 is the stongest proof.

I think is a very... subjective review, not that fair. The fact that he enjoyed some of the songs he mentioned, is because they obviously played them well. But well, whatever xD

To Jens:
Do you honestly feel that gig in Chile had some REAL bad technicall mistakes when playing? Because the guy writtes it as if you guys were DragonForce :?
Thank you a lot!:wink:

Very brütal guy though :D

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu May 05, 2011 10:39 am

Well, after listening the tongue twister the guy wrote...I don't understand cause the band instrumentally is better than it was and that is something a lot of people says when they see them playing live. The problem is that TK is having problems singing live, but now its a lot better than it was when the bacteria infection happened. When I saw them in 2010 with Matias they were really good while playing and this past January they were a lot better than in 2010. So I dont understand what he says about technical mistakes...maybe the guy was drunk or stoned? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll:
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Thu May 05, 2011 10:44 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: A guy with a big mouth, but NO fucking ears. At all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Thu May 05, 2011 3:20 pm

Look what a horrible performance!! Because a simple mistake means the band sucks and NO BAND HAS EVER MADE A MISTAKE LIKE THIS BUT STRATOVARIUS!!!

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-nNjGZGSYAE?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-nNjGZGSYAE?fs=1&amp;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

What the fuck is that guy's problem?!
Kotipelto sounds better than in Wacken 2007

Oh! But let's see more horrible performances!!
Like Infernal Maze!!

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8qzGaYEsYWo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8qzGaYEsYWo?fs=1&amp;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Where were the VERY CLEAR technical mistakes he talked about?

Oh and look, THE DULL WINTER SKIES!!! THAT NEVER PICKED UP!!!

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qR8BOjE7vNg?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qR8BOjE7vNg?fs=1&amp;hl=es_MX" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I guess he was drunk NOT TO HEAR THE CROWD enjoying the DULL SONG!!
Oh, and Kotipelto's great performance on that song doesn't count?

What an asshole :)
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu May 05, 2011 3:26 pm

TheLegendaryDreamer wrote:Sumerian is probably the one who wrote that.
:lol: Image :lol:

Elz

Post by Elz » Thu May 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Hah in that eagleheart sounded like everybody except matis were going to play phoenix

Beauty_has_come

Post by Beauty_has_come » Thu May 05, 2011 7:41 pm

I heard them in El Salvador about two weeks ago, and they were nothing short of awesome. What the hell is wrong with that guy?

(Well, one of the biggest newspapers in El Salvador called them "the Irish band Estratovarius", so :lol: )

Winter Skies.

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Fst7FEp2_sU?f ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Fst7FEp2_sU?f ... &amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
------------------------

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Thu May 05, 2011 7:42 pm

Good example for the "people mostly hear what they want to hear" saying :)

Susie

Post by Susie » Fri May 06, 2011 2:11 am

"the Irish band Estratovarius" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What the f**** is happening to my colleagues in El Salvador????

Beauty_has_come

Post by Beauty_has_come » Fri May 06, 2011 4:02 am

Susie wrote:"the Irish band Estratovarius" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What the f**** is happening to my colleagues in El Salvador????
:lol:
They couldn't get right the date of the concert, either. It was in the 19th of April, but...
Read it by yourself xD
http://www.laprensagrafica.com/componen ... /4235.html

And there are no pictures of Stratovarius in the gallery :(
------------------------

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Fri May 06, 2011 9:42 am

RazielSR wrote:Well, after listening the tongue twister the guy wrote...
How bad was the Spanish spelling and grammar?

I think during that gig Jörg started the wrong song at some point :lol: Hey, shit happens. the set list that day was this... printed thing and then hand drawn arrow with a marker saying, why dont we play that song before this song.

I'm sorry i don't remember more but in general what i can say about the Santiago, it was an absolutely fantastic gig from how we felt on stage. Incredible energy back from the audience, incredible feedback, and the band on fire. Of course everything in life is subjective :lol:

If this stuff was easy, then everyone would be doing it. And if it was really easy, then the people who now only get to write bad reviews, also would be doing it. In the real world this is not the case. It's not easy, we are actually out there doing it, and then some other people get to write about it. Which is totally OK, I just have a different opinion about the general mood and quality of the gig.

Oh -- I'm also fairly certain nobody in the band is Irish, but I'll check tomorrow. :lol:

claudiodxe

Post by claudiodxe » Fri May 06, 2011 9:55 am

Hmm, the review is not professional at all, I mean the style and writing. I really can't say about the concert, but it does offer some grammar mistakes and its poorly written (lots of out of place words and stuff)... Anyways, there will be always bad reviews, people who that day just didn't like it. Also there can be some bad concerts as well, I mean, bands are not always perfect, specially as they play 200 shows a year or so...

Either the case, we support Stratovarius anytime, that's what fans do hehe... And being objective, I really liked "Winter Skies"... I think its a great song, but everybody has different tastes...

Cheers all.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri May 06, 2011 11:54 am

JensJohansson wrote:
RazielSR wrote:Well, after listening the tongue twister the guy wrote...
How bad was the Spanish spelling and grammar?
In some parts like some redneck trying to write like Cervantes, and in other parts just like a gangsta :lol:
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

J- &#12373;&

Post by J- &#12373;& » Fri May 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Maybe the reviewer is a Tolkkiholic or a troll. :lol:

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:39 pm

J- &#12373;&#1241 wrote:Maybe the reviewer is a Tolkkiholic or a troll. :lol:
I think is a guy who thinks is a musician turned to news reporter in a reality show about drag queens living in new jersey.
A9

foerg

Post by foerg » Fri May 06, 2011 9:42 pm

who doesn´t know them?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Estratovarius are:

Lauri McPorra: E-Bass
Matthew McKupiainen: E-Guitar
Jens McJohansson: E-Piano
George McMichael: E-Drums
Timo McKotipelto: E-Sharp

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri May 06, 2011 9:49 pm

lol needs more beer.

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Fri May 06, 2011 10:20 pm

:lol:

you forgot Lauri's belly fluff :oops:

foerg

Post by foerg » Fri May 06, 2011 10:22 pm

mocobhc wrote::lol:

you forgot Lauri's belly fluff :oops:
damn, you saw it...!
what about joergs pits?!?

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Fri May 06, 2011 10:29 pm

You do know I know every single Lauri pic on earth from A to Z, of course I noticed :p

And Jörg's shaving sometimes, as far as I remember :lol:

Aarrgh no one's gonna take me seriously again after that. Thank you :lol:

Susie

Post by Susie » Sat May 07, 2011 2:13 am

Beauty_has_come wrote: They couldn't get right the date of the concert, either. It was in the 19th of April, but...
Read it by yourself xD
http://www.laprensagrafica.com/componen ... /4235.html

And there are no pictures of Stratovarius in the gallery :(
That is just WRONG... as a reader and as a journalist that website ofends me... :lol: LOL clearly, they did 0 research!!! And no Strato pics.. so, :shake: poorly made!!!

And as far as the other review, I can't recall any spelling mistakes greater that using a thousand ¿¿¿??? and this "Dvd" and it wasn't fair to the readers... it was like "I love Hellow. and f*** Strato"... I have nothing against that band but I would have catfighted him for making bitchy comments during the show :lol:

------------

@ foerg: :D Oh...! :lol:

Beauty_has_come

Post by Beauty_has_come » Sat May 07, 2011 6:31 am

foerg wrote:
who doesn´t know them?

Estratovarius are:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
------------------------

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Sat May 07, 2011 9:58 pm

foerg wrote:
who doesn´t know them?

Estratovarius are:

FUNNY :lol: :lol: :lol: