Jörg Farewell Tour

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
The Enigma
Jörg Farewell Tour

Post by The Enigma » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Newsflah released today less than an hour ago in the Finnish media:

Stratovarius say farewell to drummer Jörg Michael

Jörg Michael who last year was treated for thyroid cancer has decided to leave Stratovarius for personal reasons.

Stratovarius who have sold over 2.5 million records worldwide will say farewell to their drummer on the upcoming Finnish tour Nov. 18 - 26 2011. The tour is called "Jörg Farewell Tour"

Jörg Michael from Germany joined the band in 1995 and his first Stratovarius-album was Episode in 1996. He has played in the band over 15 years on nine CDs and on more than a thousand gigs.

- We can't but accept Jörg's decicion which from our view is unfortunate, and wish him all the best in the future. I can assure that the band will keep moving on says Timo Kotipelto, the singer of the band.

Jörg Michael will remain in the band's organization where he will keep working in Twisted Talent agency like he has done for years besides his job as a drummer.

Currently the band is touring in Russia with Helloween. They will play in Moscow and in St Peterburg in this weekend
Dates for Jörg Farewell Tour:
18.11. Mikkeli, Mikaeli
19.11. Tampere, Pakkahuone
23.11. Jyväskylä, Lutakko
25.11. Oulu, Club Teatria
26.11. Helsinki, Tavastia

Sources:
http://www.iltasanomat.fi/viihde/strato ... 10884.html
http://www.v2.fi/uutiset/viihde/11850/S ... sa-kanssa/

The 1st rock thrown again
Welcome to hell, little Saint
Mother Gaia in slaughter
Welcome to paradise, Soldier

Elz

Re: Jörg Farewell Tour

Post by Elz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:40 pm

:shock: Noooo :cry: omg no Jörg, no TT, no Jari = no stratovarius

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:57 pm

I just heard a few minutes ago about this.. so its true. :cry:

Koskenkorvasieni

Post by Koskenkorvasieni » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:02 pm

His recent cancer-episode probably forced him to reconsider his personal priorities in life. I wish him well in the future and hope that Stratovarius will find a good replacement. Of course it's always hard to accept change, but life goes on...

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:13 pm

This is SHIT. Damn, now another problem... I whish the best to Jörg and at least he will be in the band, in another way, but he will be in the band.

Let's see who will the replacement be, cause Alex is in Symfonia now.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:28 pm

I personally think Jörg played on Elysium better than ever. The drum sound was perfect and drumming amazing as usual with a tiny bit of extra.

I would be sad but Of course they have to let him go. Maybe Stratovarius will do a full change of generation in the future.

Now would be a perfect time for a live DvD on the Farewell tour.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:37 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:I personally think Jörg played on Elysium better than ever. The drum sound was perfect and drumming amazing as usual with a tiny bit of extra.

I would be sad but Of course they have to let him go. Maybe Stratovarius will do a full change of generation in the future.

Now would be a perfect time for a live DvD on the Farewell tour.
I don't want farewell DVD, that makes you feel bad. There is just 1 dvd from Stratovarius and there has been a lot of options to create a lot more dvds and it has to be NOW¿? No please, but well is the band who should decide that.

And about the best performance in an album, is true. In Elysium Jörg reached another level, but now we have this. Shit.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Maybe they should.. bring Tuomo Lassila back again!!!
I would be sooo happy. nää^^
*dreaming*

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Sad day, sad day indeed.

Jörgi served the band well and to me was a key member.
Hopefully they'll find someone good.

The Enigma

Post by The Enigma » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:01 pm

It's sad to see Jörg stepping aside, as he has been such a "cornerstone" along the band's turbulent path. But if he sees fit to call it a day, I'm sure they have found a skinbeater to match the band and their music.

Just to avoid any confusion about his "retirement plan":

"Jörg Michael has announced his plans to leave the Finnish melodic metal band STRATOVARUS for personal reasons. Jörg, who has been in the group for sixteen years, will play all the remaining tour dates until the end of January."

So, those attending to "70 000 Tons of Metal" cruise can sleep their nights, as Jörg will be playing the gigs on the ship until he will bow out of the band.

The 1st rock thrown again
Welcome to hell, little Saint
Mother Gaia in slaughter
Welcome to paradise, Soldier

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:52 pm

It's sad that Stratovarius is losing another active member, and one that won't be replaced so easily. Thankfully, Jorg is doing well, and is remaining connected to the band, and keeping the metal spirit by maintaining his connection to music. We all will miss him not being in the band but he will continue to be an influence in the metal genre for many years to come. Good Luck, Jorg in every thing you attempt, and congrats on all your future accomplishments which surely will be many!!!! Rock on! \m/ :headbang:

Skyggeboy

Post by Skyggeboy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Oh shit. :( Jörg has always been one of the best drummers Imo. Strato is playing in my home city at 23.11 so I must to get there to see Jörgie last time.

Sad day indeed..

ClauVille

Post by ClauVille » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:04 pm

I havent words today, i cant believe it but i understand him,,I will miss him badly because hes a great person. Im feeling sad now because i never expected this new :(
Anyway I wish the best to Jörg and i hope his healt is going well.

I will miss Jörg :(

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:18 pm

I just hope that, as he will be an active member but in another let's say "department", I hope to see him in future gigs or something.
He could, maybe, travel sometimes with the band and he could continue having fun by sharing moments with the fans, etc, etc

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:55 pm

I agree with Koskenkorvasieni here--It's totally understandable, given everything that has happened, but I'm still so sorry to hear that. :( I wish Jörg the very best for his future...
Tams

flyingdistantskies

Post by flyingdistantskies » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:23 pm

It's So sad. Hope it is not for health problems again. It seems that there are only Jens and Timo left from the episode Line-up.
I wish you the best for the future and a good health
Thanks for the good times. Your the best Jorgie

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:34 pm

I'm sad to hear this, I really hope it's not for health reasons.

Thanks for all the rocking and all the metal, Jorg.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:39 pm

After hearing about this, I needed to be sure and read it with my own eyes from here, and after all it is true...Shit man! Only thing I can say is that I'm glad I've seen this marvelous drumming machine behind the kit live 3 times, and I'm sure nobody will ever forget all the work he has done for the band. Now it's definitelly gonna be hard to find a replacement for him, wish him the best of lucks, he may have his reasons and we should all accept that

Long live Jörg Michael, you'll always be the best drummer Stratovarius has ever had
|StratoFan Forever|

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:50 pm

How sad. I don't really know what to say, I'll terribly miss him. This lineup was heaven to me :cry:
I very much hope that his decision has nothing to do with a deteriorating health.

Jörg, thank you so much for all the effort, passion and strength you added to this band throughout the years! I doubt if the rest of the band would have had the will to resurrect from the dead without you. And I really hope this decision helps you keeping your health, enjoying your family and friends and life as much and as long as one can imagine. I'm glad I'll be able to see you live with the band one last time in Karlsruhe, but I hope it won't be the last time we all hear from you. Take care!

I still can't believe it. Jörg :cry:

eagledreamr

Post by eagledreamr » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:01 pm

This is so sad :(

But we have to understand, accept and respect his decision, I guess it has been a diffucult one to take.

I wish him all the best for the future.
Life's to short to cry
Long enough to try

Shogakat

Post by Shogakat » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:44 pm

What Can I say? All has been said in this post.

All this situation is very sad... Stratovarius had had a large amount of problems during the last decade and when all was on the good way appears another wall.

Years ago I wasn't able to imagine Stratovarius without Jari Kainulainen, and appeared Lauri Porra, a great musician, great bass player and very active on the stage.
After that, Tolkki left the band. Who was sure that there could appear a guitarist that could replace Tolkki as good as Matias Kupiainen? I think that no one.

This was not the same Stratovarius, but there was still the essence, the power of that mythic band that years ago played over the world with opener bands as Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, HammerFall,Angra,... And all it evolved to Stratovarius, the band of the Falling Star, a new fresh band. It was not the same, and it was not necessary to be the same, it was our new Stratovarius, at the same level that, for example, 2000. The difference remains that in 2000 it was an emergent band (well known, but still trying to reach the relevance that they had in 2003), and now it's a well known band that is returning to what a lot of people expect from them.

Stratovarius during two years has achieved excellent marks with that new line-up. They reached the #1 in Finnish Charts ( 11 years after Infinite!)and, for example, to put a figure (irrelevant but still it's a good example) this band has more than 450.000 fans in the social network 'Facebook'. The good work or hard working always has a good reward, so I hope that Jörg will have his reward from now on.

When everything seemed ended, Stratovarius rose from the ashes. I hope that the new drummer and the whole band will continue making music for themselves and for their fans. Still I know that this will never be the same, but for sure will be, will continue. Without Tolkki, without Jari, without the Borussia Dortmund supporter Jorg Michael, there is still Stratovarius, there is still Jens (oh! please don't leave the band >.>) Kotipelto, Lauri and Matias.

So I'm sure that everything will be right after 2011.

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:07 pm

well, for me this is the end....This is "Kotipelto plays Stratovarius"...There's no reason to continue under that moniker. Really weird...very sad story, I hope that they can pull togheter a great new album, whatever the name of the band is

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:24 pm

Very sad day. I'm glad I met him on the US tour in 2009. Very nice guy, I even got his only drumstick from the Chicago show.

Now it's just Timo and Jens from the 'classic' lineup... I wonder who they'll get to be the new drummer.

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Oulu...

Amorphis recorded their DVD there...

Guys if you plan something like this, LET US KNOW ASAP! Please :(

Strato4Ever!

Post by Strato4Ever! » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Posting in an epic thread.

Bad notice, but Tolkki said that a few attitudes from Jörg Michael to the band wasn't so good. I don't know if there was still that attitudes, but i'm sure it will bring new airs to Stratovarius.

Strato never dies.

Sry for my English. Good Luck
Stratovarius Rulez!

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:32 pm

mocobhc wrote:Oulu...
Amorphis recorded their DVD there...
And Sonata Arctica...
I have to agree that a DVD with Jörg should be a "must be"... even if it had a small production, I'd love to have like a long setlist and a live DVD with Jörg there...

:( If I had known last April that that was going to be my last time watching Jörg...

Change is allways hard, but I'm sure Jörg's career in Strato reached a pinacle with Elysium, and his cycle in the band is more than complete. I'm sure he's very satisfied with how has his career in the band being. And to have Elysium as his last album, which I think is the best Strato album ever, I think is just a true metal warrior's greatest achievement. I think that if he really has decided this, we must all accept it... and as sad as it is, I'm sure he'll continue to be great in the future, and those last concerts won't be the last we hear from Jörg Michael, I know. <3

:)

And about the replacement... I think that Jörg's place is unique, but as the old saying says: "The Show Must Go On" what about Anders?... I see that very unlikely. :)
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Will never forget after the Galaxy show in Santa Ana, CA when Jorg came out to greet the fans with a six pack of beer and handed them out to everyone...thanks for all the great music and memories, Jorg. You're one cool guy and bad ass drummer! Sincere best wishes and much love for whatever you decide to do!

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:21 pm

Damn. :cry: Thanks Jorg for bringing us your best.

brian Levendoski

Post by brian Levendoski » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:27 pm

At least i will be able to see him twice on the 70000 tons of metal cruise and buy him a drink and say farewell.

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:48 pm

brian Levendoski wrote:At least i will be able to see him twice on the 70000 tons of metal cruise and buy him a drink and say farewell.
I wish I could be there for that, too... :cry:
Tams