New album 2012-2013?????????

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
hiro23
Re: New album 2012-2013?????????

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:03 am

I will definitely listen to the new album when it comes out, this has been posted previously but I don't see how the band is going to change that much with Jorg leaving.

Now the feel of the drums may be slightly different however remember that all the composers of the last album are still there, so I think it's going to have a similar feel to it.

The only way I would say that they should call it quits is if Jens or Koti left.
metal feeds the beast

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:04 pm

mocobhc wrote:Get what you mean, but I wouldn't totally agree.
Each of these lineup changes have a reason, mainly musical or/and personal ones. Both lead a band into disorder and block their musical progress.
A lineup change isn't necessarily a bad decision, but the question is on how you react or feel about it. If you look a the positive effects of it - if the direction they take after the change and the passion and performance they show afterwards still manage to satisfy you - you don't mind the lineup change but get to the conclusion that it's been a good decision after all. If just one of these parts doesn't fit for you, you'll always blame the change. That's ok cause no one can control such a reaction. But it's not the only possible way to react to it :)
Agree 100%, but also it is true that you can't expect people to react the same way that they did with the classic line up, this Stratovarius should trust MORE in their recent albums, leave behind some songs that are becoming like cover songs, like for me, distant skies, will the sun rise, SPEED OF LIGHT, KISS of JUDAS and so on, I mean there are songs of PLRS and EYSM extremely good, Lifetime in a moment, Elysium, The game never ends, EVENT HORIZON, Blind, Forever is today.
This is a different band, they should trust more in their capabilities as songwriters

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:35 pm

I agree completely with the comment above mine. :)
They should definitely get rid of songs like The Kiss of Judas, Speed of Light, Paradise, Eagleheart, etc.

They've got beautiful, powerful songs on the latest albums wich would be great for liveshows.

Hope the guys know this and will do this in the coming shows. :)

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:45 pm

Well I think they start to do exactly that. In Karlsruhe 4 out of 9 songs were from the two latest albums, I think that's a good share. Let them put together another album and there you go.

But I don't want them to kick out A Kiss Of Judas!

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:33 am

that is like asking guns and roses not to play sweet child of mine or pink floyd not doing the wall...come on guys those songs put the band (and I think finland) in the map (power map that is)
A9

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:07 am

Only classics they should (And have to) play
for festival setlists

Black Diamond
Speed of Light
Hunting High and Low
(And one of the following: Eagleheart, Father Time (Shut up Mormegiel) or Phoenix)
for the rest, from Polaris and Elysium

For full shows, throw in 2 or 3 more old songs.
They let us have signatures on this forum???

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:39 am

Yeah but the fact still remains that Timo Kotipelto sang all of those, That to me would be like asking Ozzy to quit singing paranoid(which he sings in both black sabbath and with his solo band).
metal feeds the beast

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm totally agree with hiro.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:15 pm

I like the post about how Tolkki, the main composer of the band, left, yet the band continued on and has released some stellar material. Jorg is/was an incredible drummer, but he did not write any lyrics or music. A much more devastating blow to the band at this point would be if any of the other guys left -- particularly Lauri or (for whatever reason) Matias, the two guys who have played a major part in shifting the sound of the band to something new and refreshing.

Honestly I'd be more worried about Timo Kotipelto's voice shitting the bed further and the band having to find a new vocalist more than a new drummer. His voice is shot and he struggles live, you can hear it in his voice. It is a very unique voice and irreplaceable, but he just sounds so tired live that, while I know Stratovarius will continue to go on, it makes me wonder just how long Timo can go on.

Febo

Post by Febo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:24 pm

hiro23 wrote:Yeah but the fact still remains that Timo Kotipelto sang all of those, That to me would be like asking Ozzy to quit singing paranoid(which he sings in both black sabbath and with his solo band).
It is a fact that most of times one as a fan first tends to associate a song to the singer first. As long as Koti is in Strato, classics will be there to be played, and I doubt we will ever see a set list conformed by less than 50% of the Tolkki era songs. And I do not think those sound like covers live. It would have sounded more like a cover if Tolkki would have made Matos sing HHAL or The Kiss Of Judas despite the songs composer and original bass player being there. Like Paranoid sounded more like a cover once despite Dio being 100000 times better singer than Ozzy. Anyway, I believe not many would dislike Strato playing more stuff from Elysium, which does have songs that shuld become classics and remain untouchable from their set lists.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:34 pm

It has nothing to do with the fact that Timo Tolkki left, though that does help. What's more important is that the band is struggling with reestablishing credibility, Tolkki did them a big favor by destroying his, but they've released two albums in a "New era" and if the band wants to be taken seriously, they need to put their faith in the quality of those albums and play them live.

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 pm

I wonder whether Stratovarius are free to choose to play what they want, or whether the management has a say too?

'Cos some time ago I read a Michael Weikath interview, in which he said something like he's sick and tired of playing "Dr. Stein" and "I Want Out", but the band is under pressure from the management to keep the songs in the set list.
OMG, they fired Jari! Bastards!

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:20 am

I'm sure there is a bit of record label pressure to do that and keep some of the songs that are associated with the band in the set list.

However I also have no problem with the set list as is because as I said Timo Kotipelto sang on all of them.
I would only be concerned and say that they didn't have faith in their stuff if they were playing stuff from the first three albums on which none of them played.

I also look at it this way, there will be another album out and once that is delivered we will have even more new stuff in the set list, I figure this time it will be more 50% Tolkki stuff and 50% new era Strato stuff. So in the end to me it's win/win
metal feeds the beast

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:37 pm

hiro23 wrote: I also look at it this way, there will be another album out and once that is delivered we will have even more new stuff in the set list, I figure this time it will be more 50% Tolkki stuff and 50% new era Strato stuff. So in the end to me it's win/win
You would think that, but they already chopped "Forever is Today" and "King of Nothing" from the setlist, and they're not even playing "Infernal Maze" at festivals. I'm still disappointed that "Blind" never made an appearance, tbh, Forever is Today, Winter Skies, Deep Unknown, and King of Nothing should be staples from Polaris, and Infernal Maze, Darkest Hours, Under Flaming Skies, and Event Horizon or The Game Never Ends should be staples from Elysium (In full setlists). Seriously, play 4-5 classics, and 3-4 songs from all the "New" albums. If you have space leftover, throw in something from Intermission or Fourth Dimension

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:05 am

I really wish they would cut out some classics and play a lot more new material. When I saw them in 2009 they only played two new songs, Winter Skies and Deep Unknown - no Higher We Go, King of Nothing, or Forever Is Today.

They could get away with chopping off Father Time these days, for one. They could keep Speed of Light because of how short it is, but some songs definitely should go by the wayside just for Timo's voice, like Will the Sun Rise? etc. Would love for them to add in Event Horizon or Move the Mountain as a ballad, come on...

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:52 am

What I'd love with this album or with another release in general would be to get the current line-up of Stratovarius and have them re-record all of their classic songs (decided by fans or by them) and other songs that inspired them as musicians. It could tie in as a second disc on the new album or a new release in general.

It could also allow newer fans to discover tracks that they haven't even heard, plus it'd be amazing to hear the older songs with the new line-up and with the better quality mastering, mixing and recording that is around today.

Just look at Scorpions' Comeblack or KISS' second disc with Sonic Boom to have an idea of what I mean. :)
Empathica1928 wrote:I know Stratovarius will continue to go on, it makes me wonder just how long Timo can go on.
And for Timo's voice, just look at Scorpions' Klaus Meine, he's into his early sixties and he's still playing 1-2 hour shows live with an amazing voice that has improved with age. I don't think Stratovarius will have any problems with age :D

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:35 am

As long as they continue writing for his voice the way they have with the past couple albums sure, but if they continue to play songs like Will The Sun Rise or Father Time that severely task his voice, and don't let him perform well... :(

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:29 am

I still think as more and more time goes by we will hear a lot more new stuff in the set lists, however in all honesty I have no problem with the set lists they've been doing, as I said they were songs that Timo Kotipelto sang on.

I would only say they should stop playing them if they started playing songs from Fright night,Twilight time or Dreamspace.

Other then that I don't have a problem
metal feeds the beast

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:32 am

I think it's true that they should play a lot more songs from Polaris and Elysium. Seems incredible to see that there are fantastic songs from the new Stratovarius and they are not playing that songs live. The fans are sick to see them playing the same stuff over and over again.

Blind, Forever is today, Falling Star, King of Nothing, Emancipation, Infernal Maze, Lifetime in a moment, The game never ends, Event Horizon, Elysium...

That songs should be played live.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:13 pm

I agree! The Game Never Ends would be a great singalong live!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:27 pm

they should just make their live show as if they were a new band with one album and only play their latest album. it would be tragic if they acted like they had a history.

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:43 pm

... which leads us back to the awesome idea of a special Polaris&Elysium only - live show, I'd so be there :luv1:

No seriously, I don't want them to give up the old stuff in regular shows. For me they are Stratovarius :x and I still want them to play songs from every era :x Hearing Coming Home live pleased my ears as much as Elysium would have. So, if they continue refreshing the setlist from time to time with an increasing amount of new stuff, just like they do now, I'm totally satisfied :)

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Was thinking what I would like to hear.

Intro
Forever Free
Falling Star
Event Horizon
Distant Skies
Emancipation Suites Pt. I & II
Under Flaming Skies
Solo's or something
Elysium
Fight!!!
When Mountains Fall
Black Diamond
--
The Game Never Ends
Legions

Something like that would be awesome!

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:15 am

:lol: Ok ok... There's mine:
Intro
Against the wind
Blind
King of Nothing
Fairness justified
Eternity
Twilight symphony
Guitar/bass/keyboard/whatever's solo
Elysium
Medley (from the first 3 albums ass well)
Lifetime in a moment
Keep the flame (instead of Forever)
Under flaming skies
S.O.S
~ ~ ~
Infernal maze
The game never ends
Destiny

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:04 am

I present this question, I am not trying to be a douche, I'm merely just curious.

At the end of the day are any of us going to be satisfied with the complete live set?
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:06 am

if they play the whole discography that would be a start

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:44 am

Some realism for these setlists. They're not going to play ANYTHING from the self titled. Most fans didn't buy it, and most of those that did, didn't like it. Even if some of them were good songs, the band has no purpose in playing them.

Secondly, They're going to go for mass appeal, so expect the most famous songs from each "Classic" album. I have suggested, for the sake of simplicity, One from Episode (Speed of Light), Visions (Black Diamond) and two from Infinite (Phoenix, and Hunting High and Low, possibly A Million Lightyears away as well). Destiny is left off, as the most famous song is 10 minutes long and takes up a big part of the setlist. Songs on setlists should be well suited for live environments (Doesn't rely heavily on massive layers, orchestrations, or things not easily replicated in a live environment).

As for the newer songs, we're still dealing mostly with the "Single" type songs, choruses are huge, so Deep Unknown, Winter Skies, Forever is Today from Polaris, and Under Flaming Skies, Darkest Hours, and Infernal Maze from Elysium. That right there is 10 songs, a good festival setlist. For the headlining slot, I think then you can put Visions or Destiny in, Eagleheart and another song from either Elements album (Soul of a Vagabond, I walk to my own song), something from Fourth Dimension (Against the Wind+Distant Skies, or Twilight Symphony), and potentially something a bit crazier from the newer albums, like King of Nothing, or Event Horizon.

Even with this mostly idealized setlist, I've only allowed for one ballad, and when Stratovarius insists on doing 2 per album, that's pretty low for a live setlist, especially when ballads tend to do better in a live environment, but the biggest thing I'd do (Staying reasonable to the bands need to please all the fans) is play the essentials from the old albums, the essentials from the new, and then instead of doing lesser heard old songs, do lesser heard new songs.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:48 pm

hiro23 wrote:I present this question, I am not trying to be a douche, I'm merely just curious.

At the end of the day are any of us going to be satisfied with the complete live set?
I would be if they left out HuntingHaL, Speed of Light, Eagleheart & The Kiss of Judas and replaced them with newer songs. :lol:

Everybody's always like 'they have to play all the classics all the time'. I don't think they should. Fans should be openminded to hear new stuff live, and newer fans don't care what they play anyway. 1 or 2 classics is definitely enough for me. Then some rarely played songs from old albums. And for the biggest part new songs. Their sound is evolving, so I think the setlist should also evole. :)

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 am

the vast majority of fans are only going to see the band once a year or even longer. i don't see how someone could get tired of hearing a song once a year. it seems people are complaining about set lists to shows they aren't even going to or even thinking about attending. since 2005, the band has been to my area 2 times and I've seen them two times, it was not a problem for me that a few songs were the same

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:58 am

I'll just be happy to see them once, if they played a set list similar to the last one, I wouldn't mind at all.
metal feeds the beast