Comparison

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
eternity_strato
Comparison

Post by eternity_strato » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:53 pm

I've made a comparison of Tolkki playing his own solos vs Matias playing Tolkki solos.

And, actually, Matias plays better Tolkki solos than Tolkki! Check it on youtube!

Also, no more return to dreamspace. Better return to learn guitar. It will be better, Timo.

Matias for the win, Timo for the tripolar hell (elysiumskies, sumerian, twilighteagle).

HinatAArcticA

Re: Comparison

Post by HinatAArcticA » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:04 am

Matias played an Elysium extract yesterday when playing the Distant Skies solo :) :) :) :) :) :)
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:06 am

steve vai plays jimi hendrix solos "better" than jimi, now the legendary solos are the ones COMPOSED by jimi.
A9

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:48 am

totally agree with eternity and adrian as well

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:29 am

I think Mike Portnoy said this before. He's a douchebag but anyway, "Anybody can play Stairway to Heaven, but almost nobody can compose it."

GondolaGuy99

Post by GondolaGuy99 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:31 am

robocop656 wrote:I think Mike Portnoy said this before. He's a douchebag
+1

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:35 am

Matias

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:07 am

matius is the better guitar player. timo is the more important guitar player so far.

conunez

Post by conunez » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:21 pm

eternity_strato wrote:I've made a comparison of Timo for the tripolar hell
robocop656 wrote:He's a douchebag
+1

... OK just kidding

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:21 am

icecab21 wrote:matius is the better guitar player. timo is the more important guitar player so far.
Tony Kakko

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:36 pm

MAtias IS better guitarist, and He has much to prove as a composer, in wich Timo, I believe WAS better

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:40 pm

Verdades Parias wrote:MAtias IS better guitarist, and He has much to prove as a composer, in wich Timo, I believe WAS better
A9

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:54 pm

Timo is really limited as a composer. He has the same chord progressions over and over and his lack of skill for soloing is very noticeable.

Matias is really good. Too bad Matias was not in the original line up (despite the age break) and not the fattie McBabies.

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 pm

Timo repeated himself so many times, it's hard to say he's an amazing composer. As has already been said, he's rehashed the same ideas over and over, which I'll admit worked pretty well since he came up with some great melodies to go with them, but even the melodies sound similar. Forever Free and Tomorrow, anyone?!

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:10 pm

Not only that.

Hunting high and low and I walk to my own song?

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm sorry, but I don't see Tolkki composing anything in the lever of Elysium (The Song).
Tony Kakko

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:29 pm

What? Do you want him to use jazz chord progressions, or what? Jesus...it is power metal, you know? The genre that is known for fucking dragons and shit.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 am

robocop656 wrote:fucking dragons and shit.
My mental image... :luv2:

Empathica1928

Post by Empathica1928 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:01 am

robocop656 wrote:What? Do you want him to use jazz chord progressions, or what? Jesus...it is power metal, you know? The genre that is known for fucking dragons and shit.
Given the numerous other power metal bands who have done amazing, radically different things throughout their history (Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, etc.) that argument fucking sucks.

Chord progressions aren't that big a deal because of what you can do with the melody, but when you end up creating extremely similar melodies and solos (there's a song on Elements that sounds just like half of Mother Gaia, for another example)... that's just lazy.

Now on the other hand, the songs still rock (most of them), but Tolkki blew his load on Infinite and used the scraps on Elements and after that he went to shit with compositions. In Paradisum was a slight return to form but songs like Alayna fucking blow and even though it proved that he can still shred and write some awesome melodies, it's not enough to bring him back to the spotlight because it isn't original enough to warrant the attention.

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:53 am

robocop656 wrote:What? Do you want him to use jazz chord progressions, or what? Jesus...it is power metal, you know? The genre that is known for fucking dragons and shit.
Just because Blind Guardian write uninspired shit about fucking dragons doesn't mean that every Power Metal band does.

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:12 am

HinatAArcticA wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't see Tolkki composing anything in the lever of Elysium (The Song).
Exactly!

Tolkki, not even in his best years, could even dream of composing something as perfect as Elysium.

And he cannot play it even practising for a thousand years.

Matias is better than Tolkki.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:00 am

You mean in your opinion.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:07 am

Krigo wrote:
Just because Blind Guardian write uninspired shit about fucking dragons doesn't mean that every Power Metal band does.
On the other hand, Blind Guardian is just the one major PM band that does a lot to stray from conventional (power) metal structures and chord progressions.
Krigo wrote:Blind Guardian ... uninspired
0/10 I'm not even mad.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:56 pm

robocop656 wrote:You mean in your opinion.
that statement is a waste of space on the internet, of course its his opinion, who else's could it be?
They let us have signatures on this forum???

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:33 pm

You mean in your opinion? You guys can cry all you want. It doesn't change the fact that TT composed a ton of songs that made the band what it is. No matter if his guitar playing is or isn't what it used to be.

That guy saying about Sonata, why do you think they started playing power metal to begin with? And Blind guardian isn't the only band talking about dragons. Not like I give a damn about it. It was just an observation.

gnurt_gp

Post by gnurt_gp » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:41 pm

HinatAArcticA wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't see Tolkki composing anything in the lever of Elysium (The Song).
I have to oppose this. no matter how bad the things TT have done recently, one fact cannot be deny is that he is a great composer. Despite Elysium (the song) is good, it cannot be compared with the masterpieces from the Episode - Vision era. And let's see if Lauri and Matias can retain the creative in composing after one album (Polaris for Lauri & Elysium for Matias), or they will lost it after one album. That's the important point. Be objective, people. I don't deny that I totally hate the bad things TT has done,but bashing every aspect of him like that is childish. He's good at composing. Even the songs from In Paradisum show some of his sparks from the old time (I'm not necessarily saying that the songs from this album are good).

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:50 am

gnurt_gp wrote:
I have to oppose this. no matter how bad the things TT have done recently, one fact cannot be deny is that he is a great composer. Despite Elysium (the song) is good, it cannot be compared with the masterpieces from the Episode - Vision era. And let's see if Lauri and Matias can retain the creative in composing after one album (Polaris for Lauri & Elysium for Matias), or they will lost it after one album. That's the important point. Be objective, people. I don't deny that I totally hate the bad things TT has done,but bashing every aspect of him like that is childish. He's good at composing. Even the songs from In Paradisum show some of his sparks from the old time (I'm not necessarily saying that the songs from this album are good).
It's not about how bad he has been doing lately. It's not like I'm a Tolkki hater (like some Eternal guy arround here), but to my ears (and I think musically too), Elysium is pretty much above all Tolkki's songs as a whole. I don't bash Tolkki, it's not about that. I'm one of the few active members in the Symfonia forum, and I still like his music. I'm just saying that Matias, to me, has provided with a very particular form of power metal, that is more interesting than another Tolkki song. If you want to see my favorite Tolkki era songs, I made a topic on that, and I also love those songs. I'm just saying that Matias (I think) is a better musician, but this is only my opinion. But again, I don't like bashing on anybody :lol: I get nothing out of it.

lol a kindda serious topic :D
Tony Kakko

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:12 am

Matias is pound-for-pound the better guitarist. Butt Tolkki is the heavyweight champion. :)

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:44 pm

I don't know what In Paradisum is. I can recall a Shitfonia album called In Crapadisum if that's what you're talking about, with 100% cliché power metal ideas.

gnurt_gp

Post by gnurt_gp » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:03 am

HinatAArcticA wrote:
It's not about how bad he has been doing lately. It's not like I'm a Tolkki hater (like some Eternal guy arround here), but to my ears (and I think musically too), Elysium is pretty much above all Tolkki's songs as a whole. I don't bash Tolkki, it's not about that. I'm one of the few active members in the Symfonia forum, and I still like his music.

lol a kindda serious topic :D
I know that. no worrry :wink: what I said about bashing TT was not directed to you but to the general behaviour in this forum. I do find it funny with some jokes (Jari is fired etc...) :D I know TT deserves to be bashed on many aspects, but when it comes to TT's composing skill, it becomes baseless and childish bashing him 8)

PS: I also like Elysium the song but IMO it is kind of incoherent, sounds like 2 or 3 songs joined into one. It lacks the integrity that long & epic songs from TT have. Just my opinion :D