10 years in stratoforum

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
brought2ubyletterC
Re: 10 years in stratoforum

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:42 am

I didn't think you were rude at all, so don't worry about it. :)

Of course I would be at the Nightwish gig; I even interviewed Tuomas before the show! :D

From what he said during our interview, they should be back here sometime in the fall. So maybe we can meet up at the next show in L.A. Did you go to the "secret show" too?

Hopefully Strato will come back soon too, but at least at the Nightwish show we can have that drink in the forseeable future. :lol:

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:46 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
brought2ubyletterC wrote:
You could have phrased that better.
...our whole family became StratoFans, in Sweet Home Alabama! :D
You're in Alabama? SWEET! We're in neighboring states! I was WONDERING if anyone here was anywhere near me...:)
Tams

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 am

tpocain wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
brought2ubyletterC wrote:
You could have phrased that better.
...our whole family became StratoFans, in Sweet Home Alabama! :D
You're in Alabama? SWEET! We're in neighboring states! I was WONDERING if anyone here was anywhere near me...:)
So you are a member of the GRITS* Club,too! :D Congratulations!!!!! :)

*Girls Raised In The South(if anyone gives a shit, lol).

There are a few people here from Southern USA: miditek, a girl from Nashville used to post here, and quite a few from Florida. StratoFans are very diverse. :wink: Image
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:14 am

Holy shit! I'm from Alabama too.

:red: :bounce1: :bounce1: :red:

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Well, I'm originally from Connecticut but moved to Texas when I was 8--ended up here in FL later on. Too bad I don't live in Alabama 'cause then I could call myself Tamma the Alabama Slamma! :D
Tams

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:31 pm

tpocain wrote:Well, I'm originally from Connecticut but moved to Texas when I was 8--ended up here in FL later on. Too bad I don't live in Alabama 'cause then I could call myself Tamma the Alabama Slamma! :D
:lol: Cool! 8)

Alabama is a diverse state in itself. The Southern Alabamians are the intellectuals, the Mid-Alabamians are the big city dwellers(Birmingham, Montgomery, etc) and us Northern Alabamians are the Farmers, and hicks
:lol: but, we don't do so bad ourselves even though country living does have it's ups, and downs. :) We have NASA, and Redstone Arsenal to brag about though, until there is a nuclear war after all, Huntsville is one of the main targets, supposedly. :err:

Courtney Cox did well from here, so did Jim Nabors, Robert Patrick, Gary Sinise, and Matthew McConanghey, among others.

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:39 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
tpocain wrote:Well, I'm originally from Connecticut but moved to Texas when I was 8--ended up here in FL later on. Too bad I don't live in Alabama 'cause then I could call myself Tamma the Alabama Slamma! :D
:lol: Cool! 8)

Alabama is a diverse state in itself. The Southern Alabamians are the intellectuals, the Mid-Alabamians are the big city dwellers(Birmingham, Montgomery, etc) and us Northern Alabamians are the Farmers, and hicks
:lol: but, we don't do so bad ourselves even though country living does have it's ups, and downs. :) We have NASA, and Redstone Arsenal to brag about though, until there is a nuclear war after all, Huntsville is one of the main targets, supposedly. :err:

Courtney Cox did well from here, so did Jim Nabors, Robert Patrick, Gary Sinise, and Matthew McConanghey, among others.
Sweet! My first figure skating competition was in Huntsville! It was in '94 and it was a 15 hour drive from Sarasota, FL, if I remember right. So I skated on a Sunday morning, and the Super Bowl was that very same night. My husband and I watched it at the bar next to the motel we stayed in, ate Buffalo wings, and yes--I drank an Alabama Slammer! :beer: What a hell of a night THAT was! :D And I remember the Space and Rocket Center there...

It's kinda funny that you mentioned Matthew McConaughey--I was just watching one of his movies, Sahara, last night!
Tams

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:32 am

Matthew is from Georgia, as is Robert Patrick, both Southern boys! :D Close enough to Alabama. :wink:

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:30 pm

Since Jens closed the other topic I'll reply to it here...if you ever get around to digging up all the old EzBoard stuff, I'd love to see it!

In fact, I think during most of the late '90s, early '00s, most of the forums were hosted on EzBoard. I know that I visited at least 3 or 4 different forums at that time which were all on that server.

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:40 am

brought2ubyletterC wrote:Since Jens closed the other topic I'll reply to it here...if you ever get around to digging up all the old EzBoard stuff, I'd love to see it!

In fact, I think during most of the late '90s, early '00s, most of the forums were hosted on EzBoard. I know that I visited at least 3 or 4 different forums at that time which were all on that server.
I didn't really look again yet, but I do know I recently saw the filenames for the dumps I took at the time, somewhere on my Giant Server Of Old Shit.

Actually, looking at old music posting stuff can be a bit depressing. Very often people are devoting a lot of energy bashing each other because of music taste.

Of course, given some of the stuff that has gone on in this place sometimes, maybe some good-old "your music sucks and so do you" discussions would be a sign of health! :lol:

I wonder if you count the EZboard days, how this forum ranks in the longevity of metal band forums than can be said to be in any way "continuous" because it was under the stratovarius.com umbrella.

I mean, I'm sure there were Metallica boards (or whatever they were called) on AOL and compuserve back in the 1940s.

And of course I imagine the usenet group alt.rock-n-roll.metal.metallica was newgrouped in the 17th century.

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:53 am

^Oh yeah, the AOL newsgroups...I forgot about those. :lol: I don't remember much about how forums worked in the early days of the internet; I never even visited a forum until a friend of mine started hers in '99 (also on EzBoard at the time), which changed to another server in '04 or '05; where I still visit to this day.

For some reason, I remember the music-related discussion here being a lot more pro-active; I was exposed to a lot of great bands through the discussions at this forum. It always seemed that whenever other music was mentioned, people were happy to share who their other favorite bands were and interested in checking out bands recommended by other people this way. I singlehandedly credit the Stratoforum for getting me into all these other Finnish-metal bands (especially Nightwish; I never fail to mention this forum whenever someone asks me how I got into that band), so maybe reading those old discussions won't be as painful as it might seem. :lol:

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:32 pm

JensJohansson wrote: ...but I do know I recently saw the filenames for the dumps I took at the time, somewhere on my Giant Server Of Old Shit.
Huh-huh...NICE...:roll: :lol:
JensJohansson wrote:Actually, looking at old music posting stuff can be a bit depressing.
:cry:Oh I know--I KNOW...:cry:
JensJohansson wrote:Very often people are devoting a lot of energy bashing each other because of music taste.
Why can't we all GET ALOOOONNNNG?!:x
JensJohansson wrote:Of course, given some of the stuff that has gone on in this place sometimes, maybe some good-old "your music sucks and so do you" discussions would be a sign of health! :lol:
Oh god, that really wouldn't be saying much!:lol:

I remember back in 2000--before there was Facebook, of course--being with a couple of these e-mail groups for another one of my favorite bands. That, to me, acted as sort of a cross between FB and a forum/message board. Had a lot of fun with that for a while...:) And Jens, I have a surprise for you, if you haven't found it on FB already...:D
Tams

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:43 am

does this ring a bell? :)

Does anyone have the web address for the EzBoard?

http://web.archive.org/web/200102010858 ... arius.com/

http://web.archive.org/web/200107110738 ... arius.com/

Darn it, it says the URL for the ezBoard has been deleted from the archive. :cry:

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:40 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Image

Darn it, it says the URL for the ezBoard has been deleted from the archive. :cry:
my god is that old :lol: i dont even remember it :oops:
A9

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:06 pm

adrian9 wrote:

About eleven years ago! :) How time flies!!!*The song "Father Time" insert here.* :wink:

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:33 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
adrian9 wrote:

About eleven years ago! :) How time flies!!!*The song "Father Time" insert here.* :wink:
Wow, that looks cool! I like the dolphins...:) I didn't even REMOTELY know about the band 11 years ago! :oops:
Tams

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Browneyed: The EzBoard usually had a number code after the web address for each forum, so unless anyone from the olden days can remember the number code (i.e., "ezboard.com/28349835", or whatever), I don't think we'll have any luck finding it on Wayback. :(

Yes, I remember when the home page looked like that! :lol:

Stratoviking

Post by Stratoviking » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:35 pm

I also remember this
Cool stuff

Stratoviking

Post by Stratoviking » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:43 pm

I really miss the old Stratovarius and
The old forum
I think strato was a totally different band
In these days hungry and so great melodies
All the great hits was made then
But life goes on......

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:02 pm

I think the forum is in the best shape it's ever been. There's a perfect balance of pretty high-brow discussion, borderline paranoid-schizophrenic insanity, hilarious shit, people who have no idea what's going on, evil puppet masters *coughAAAAAAAAAAcough* and, occasionally, Jari posts.

I don't know how good all this is for new Stratovarius fans, but this forum has taken on a life of its own.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:05 am

I think this community has always been full of awesome people, whatever their quirky idiosyncracies. :lol:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:42 pm

http://pub49.ezboard.com/fstratoboardfrm

Was the web address from the above Stratopage links, but the Wayback Archive does not have that page archived. :~(

Is there someway to find it? I have Googled "Finding old/lost webpages" to no avail. A few years ago the ezboard was directly accessible, you could see the topics and read some of them, but now it's gone. :(

Maybe Jens could post the EzBoard stuff on a little website of it's own, or something. Just to read the stuff from years ago. :)
I like the dolphins...
So do I. :) I love dolphins anyway, they are such beautiful ocean creatures.
They became sort of a "mascot" after the Infinite album. I think some members of the band had a fondness for them.

Stratoviking

Post by Stratoviking » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:47 pm

That would be fun!!

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 am

Browneyed: Yes, that addy looks familiar, but it looks like we'll have to wait and see what Jens uncovers out of the vault... ;)

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Maybe Jens could post the EzBoard stuff on a little website of it's own, or something. Just to read the stuff from years ago. :)
He's got that panix.com website--I don't think he's updated it in about 9 years but there's some really crazy funny stuff on there!
browneyedgirl wrote:So do I. :) I love dolphins anyway, they are such beautiful ocean creatures.
They became sort of a "mascot" after the Infinite album. I think some members of the band had a fondness for them.
I totally agree--Jens strikes me as an animal lover, 'cause he's just so SWEET and COMPASSIONATE!:) :luv2: