Beyond Elysium...." Let The Discussion Begin"

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Texidor
Beyond Elysium...." Let The Discussion Begin"

Post by Texidor » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Now that the band has their new and I must say, " very talented" drummer, whats next? Elysium really proved to be a great new beginning for the band. My hope is they continue to grow that epic sound again but still retain what has come to be known as the "Strato" sound. What do you guys think ?
SHINE ON!

Empathica1928

Re: Beyond Elysium...." Let The Discussion Begin"

Post by Empathica1928 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Elysium is still the best album of 2011 to me. Matias wrote a fucking masterpiece with the title track and I can only pray they'll release a live DVD again in the near future WITH THAT TRACK ON THE SETLIST. It's the best song they've ever written as far as I'm concerned. If Elysium was a hint of what's to come, I'm just going to sdhfbhsjdbhakjjhg

Seriously, I really hope the next album sounds like Elysium. Move the Mountain was the perfect ballad, Darkest Hours a great single, Elysium an incredible 18 minutes of music (those last 6 minutes... oh my GOD), and some amazing throwback tracks to the speedy glory days of the band, like Event Horizon.

Bring it on. I'm sure Rolf can handle anything these guys throw at him and I hope he contributes a lot, too. Lauri, Matias, Jens, and Timo make a FANTASTIC songwriting team and having the new guy join and pitch in ideas would be awesome.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:58 pm

I think elysium was good, things are getting better for the band, Hope they do more power metal , straigh foward things, a la hunting high and low,eagleheart and stuff, that kind of material was missing in the last two records in order to bring more "prog-like" riffs, that really doesnt make any sense in this context.
but I should also say that chances are high they would come up with something even more prog. :x you know, "new drummer"
A9

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:57 pm

More Lauri songs for sure!!!....his fast tunes are awesome. I believe that it will be an evolution of Elysium, I think the only thing that is missing from my point of view, is that huge melodic lines that strato used to have. Lauri for me is the key to reach that...Lifetime in a moment, Forever is today. Less Kotipelto songs who are more like "not-so good" songs, His songs are quiet ok, but extremely far from fenomenal, also Jens has to put his songs on fire, metal to the pedal!!, the last two albums has to many mid-tempo moments. Is time to put the new kid to fucking work :lol:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:39 am

For me, more prog would be appreciated. As we have talked a lot of times, this band is now a prog-power metal band, not just power metal. They are evolving a lot and it is the only way to continue creating NEW music and do not copy/paste the past.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Southern_Stratofan

Post by Southern_Stratofan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:50 pm

I enjoyed Elysium a lot. I agree that Strato has grown into a prog-power metal band, which IMO is a good thing.

However, looking to the past isnt always a bad thing. I feel more higher tempo power songs are in order. Im not saying the whole album of course, but songs like Event Horizon were always a very refreshing addition.

I really am looking forward to their next album, the signature Strato sound is a modern miracle. Continually sounding new without any hint of monotony, whilst still retaining that unique presence.

One of the many reason why the boys are my favourite band of all time.

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:40 pm

I'd love more Prog stuff

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:07 am

Verdades Parias wrote:Less Kotipelto songs who are more like "not-so good" songs, His songs are quiet ok, but extremely far from fenomenal,
about koti songs,this is a current matter not only recently, I think he writes in a different direction of stratovarius, Im guess he got his songs done and then those are translated into strato-language, something gets missing in the middle and you get half hearted or..ok songs.
im just guessin over here,but that could be a logical explanation.
A9

mocobhc

Post by mocobhc » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:09 pm

I loved the obvious differences and perspectives Polaris offered in contrast to the earlier work, and the progression Elysium took in songwriting matters and shaping an actual album despite the very different kinds of songs in it. It's going to be interesting enough to see if they manage to keep the balance between the Lauri/Matias proggy direction - to which Rolf will add his lot, I guess - and the straightforward power metal uptempo pieces Strato mainly got its name for. I expect the next albums to underline the different songwriting styles of them all even more - which at the same time will make it harder for them to shape a consistent album, so I'm quite curious what they're gonna do about it :lol: More prog will eventually divide the fans into lovers and haters... but hey, I guess the band is used to that :lol: So, as long as they don't try to sound like 15 years ago, they won't be able to disappoint me.

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:12 pm

adrian9 wrote:
Verdades Parias wrote:Less Kotipelto songs who are more like "not-so good" songs, His songs are quiet ok, but extremely far from fenomenal,
about koti songs,this is a current matter not only recently, I think he writes in a different direction of stratovarius, Im guess he got his songs done and then those are translated into strato-language, something gets missing in the middle and you get half hearted or..ok songs.
im just guessin over here,but that could be a logical explanation.
Totally agree!!! :)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:58 am

I think the new direction is awesome and I hope they continue in this direction.
I'll probably get slammed for this opinion but I think they should keep moving forward, yes of course keep in key elements which make them Stratovarius but ultimately keep trying new things with each album.

I too would hate for them to get monotonous.
metal feeds the beast

Betlodocus

Post by Betlodocus » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:08 am

Can't agree more :)

The band should make some different and challenging songs that completely new to our ears.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:11 am

Too early. Come back in December.

They will compose stuff, but with the DVD releasing just about now, I don't think they have any real reason to show anything other than live shows for the rest of the year.
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:46 am

i expect a double album, one with have a 66 minute song, the other will have a 6 minute song.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:34 am

Icecab:like a concept album maybe?
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:10 am

for a concept album , perhaps they could do it, perhaps they could do a sideproject with the members and put out something like that. i really just feel they should put out what they feel they ought to put out and then ill figure out if i like it or not. the main think i like about stratovarius is usually the combination of melody, rhythmic energy, and lyrics. i want them to show what they value, not anything out of obligation to go one way or another.

Betlodocus

Post by Betlodocus » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:33 am

A concept album but not that cheesy as Symphony X :lol:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:30 am

That's subjective and would depend on your definition of cheesy.
metal feeds the beast

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:39 am

Dear Icebar and dear Hippo,

Was this topic really THAT important?That's subjective.

Do they have the obligation to continue playing with their hands? That's subjective. They can always use their feet.

Do they have to release an album completely new to your ears? That's subjective. What if they release an album completely new to your knee?

A lot of things to discuss.

-Holden

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:13 pm

I really like the kinda Symphony X-direction they're taking, while sticking to the power metal roots. I hope it stays this way!
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Betlodocus

Post by Betlodocus » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:17 am

I actually prefer the latest album of Symphony X because of the modern approach.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:14 am

My favorite songs from the last 2 albums are Elysium, Move the Mountain, Darkest Hours, Deep Unknown & Winter Skies...so I want to hear more from Jens and Matias. :music:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:58 am

I personally hope the next album does more of what they did with Elysium. The overall power metal sound but with a progressive edge to it.
metal feeds the beast

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:29 am

I personally hope the next album does more of what they did with Elysium
You hope the album does what THEY did with Elysium?
Why did the band do it last time, but this time its the albums responsibility?

I expose myself in sheer confusion!! perv

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:36 am

Inanimate objects are sometimes interesting.I have some inanimate friends.
For example, I have a printer that sometimes speaks to me and we have long conversations regarding how many polar bears can a finnish house contain.
The other day, I dranks some beers with my paddle and then I went to the cinema with my wardrobe.

Maybe some people in the forum is wanting to see some polycarbonate friend more involved in the new Stratovarius album.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:14 am

HoldenCaulfield wrote: Maybe some people in the forum is wanting to see some polycarbonate friend more involved in the new Stratovarius album.
Does producing stuff on computers count? Because if that's the case then your polycarbonate friends already play a vital role in Stratovarius albums!

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:54 am

NeonVomit wrote:
HoldenCaulfield wrote: Maybe some people in the forum is wanting to see some polycarbonate friend more involved in the new Stratovarius album.
Does producing stuff on computers count? Because if that's the case then your polycarbonate friends already play a vital role in Stratovarius albums!
Dear Neon, yes, producing stuff on computers count. I have some Mbs and Kbs friends wanting to appear in the new album. There's an old friend (codename TeraT) that will appear in the extended edition.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:14 pm

HoldenCaulfield wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
Dear Neon, yes, producing stuff on computers count. I have some Mbs and Kbs friends wanting to appear in the new album. There's an old friend (codename TeraT) that will appear in the extended edition.
Your questions have been answered, it would appear.

HoldenCaulfield

Post by HoldenCaulfield » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:22 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
HoldenCaulfield wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
Dear Neon,

I had no questions.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:39 pm

HoldenCaulfield wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
HoldenCaulfield wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
Dear Neon,

I had no questions.
We all have questions. We just don't ever know what they are until the answers come along.