Jens Johansson Interview (IN ENGLISH)

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
HinatAArcticA
Jens Johansson Interview (IN ENGLISH)

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:37 am

This... http://forum.stratovarius.com/viewtopic.php?t=11105

¿Qué chingados? :?

Allow me :)
David Esquitino de Rafabasa made Jens Johansson an interview (keyboardist and one of the current leaders) of STRATOVARIUS to talk about the band's current moment, a little on the band's history and so many more interesting things. Here's an exctract:

- Hi Jens, how's it going? It's been a while since we last talked, and it's a pleasure to do it again. To start off, tells us a little about the immediate plans the band has. What will Stratovarius do in the very near future?

Jens - Well, the very first thing is actually the Spain festival this weekend. But the real soonest "plans" we have, is to begin the record sessions for the next album, aiming for a 2013 release, though is very soon to talk about definite dates of course. And after that, you know, we'll be on a new world tour: Europe, Japan, Latin América, North América… We'll probably start in the middle of Europe this time, and then we'll see where else we'll be going.

About the album itself, at this moment we are finnishing writting some songs and giving the final touches to those that are almost done. We've also started recording some basic stuff like a few drums and so on.

- Returning to the band's current state, a few days ago you playes for the first time with your new drummer Rolf Pilve on your country. What can you tell us about these first concerts? and how is Rolf addapting to the band personally and misucally?

Jens.- I think he has addapted to the band very well. We are very different and peculiar guys in the band (laughs) so it's not easy to fit toghether the very first time you know, like when you meet a group of long time friends, and you try to fit into their group. But Rolf is a very calmed guy and it's easy to be with him, and he's a great guy. He doesn't have a "Diva" or "Super Rock Star" attitude or anything like that, which was very important to enter the band. Then of course, he's an excelent player. He's a hard worker and very perfectionist. He works a lot on his overall performance, playing the songs again and again. Then it's very funny, because he's a lot younger than some of us, and he has grown listening to this band, since he's 25 or so. We've actually played two concerts already with him and it has been great.

- Now that Jörg Michael, who had been in the band for years has left, only you and Kotipelto remain as veteran members, and obviously the leaders of STRATOVARIUS. How do you cope with this? Leading such a legendary band with a lineup that is a lot younger than you.

Jens.- Quite well actually, and it has all been a bit of a casualty really, like when Matias first joined (guitars), and now Rolf. Besides, this doesn't mean that there is or will ever be a dictatorship at all in STRATOVARIUS. We are 5 grown ups caplabe of taking on responsibilities and taking decisions too. I want to say that the decisions made will not be made only by me and Timo. Then if the younger guys said they wanted to invest money in heroin or something like that, then things would change (laughs). No, we are all responsable here. Sensible grown ups with STRATOVARIUS and our work. Actually some of the younger guys are more mature than me, so there's no problem at all (laughs again).

For example, for the new record, neither me nor Timo have said that songs have to be done in a forced single way, and it's not like our compositions are above the rest, but we all talk ideas and mix them together. We'll see how it turns out, because we've not finally decided what songs will go on the final record.

- Your latest album, “Elysium” is now over a year old. How do you see the album at the distance? How well has it been doing with fans, critics and the media in general?

Jens.- The response to the album has been great, even after Tolkki's departure in 2008. I want to say that it's been two albums already without him, and that the response has been amazing. With "Elysium" it has been even better, since it truly confirms that we were able to keep going as a band. We've not been necessairly compared to our eariler years, and our new stage is been accepted quite well. So everything has been going really well, I can't say anything else. Sales are not what they used to be, that's clear, but even so, the albums have been selling well, and we are happy with that. We are happy, the record labbel is happy, and it seem the fans are happy too, and we are still playing in Spain, so everything is great! (laughs).

- Actually, it seems that the band's new era has been well consolidated with “Polaris” and “Elysium” and with the band doing great live and all. What can you tell us about this? How do you see Stratovarius now and the band's new era? It seems everything is really going well.

Jens.- Yeah, that's right. even after loosing such an important member as Jörg, everything is still going smooth and normal. It's always hard and complicated to replace a band member, and a lot more if it's someone who has been in the band for a long time, but everything in the Stratovarius enviroment has been going great, I can't really say anything else.

- In any case, there's still a lot of people who say that without Timo Tolkki, this is not Stratovraius, and that you should hace changed the name and all. What are your thoughts on this?

Jens.- Well, this was commented a lot arround 2008 and 2009, when Tolkki left, but it's been almost 5 years since that, and we don't hear that kind of stuff anymore. It's something we were told all arround the glove, and it was really hard to prove that we could still do it, and that with our music and the live gigs people could still se Stratovarius in us, and that we could take the name in a just way. In any case, it's just an opinion, and I have no problems with it, because it's just someone's opinion and nothing more.

We've always tried to do our best everytime. First loosing our guitar player and main composer, then Matias came in, and then we made two albums. In April of 2008, we had a rought time because we didn't know what would happen with Stratovarius, but as of today, we are very proud of the path we've chosen, and of what we've done and achieved. In the end, time speaks for istelf, and everyone is free to think in any way they want. It's just like with Jörg's topic. Some people will say what without him this is not Stratovarius anymore, But what could we do? We have a new drummer, it's a new member, but it's the same band. There's no big deal about it.

- By the way, I'm not sure if all the problems between the band and Tolkki have been solved, and if you have a normal relationship agian (I know you two used to be friends) or if both parts are still totally separated. How are things going today between Timo Tolkki and Stratovarius?

Jens.- I'm the guy in the band who has been in contact with him the most. Usually via e-mail, but we've also talked a few times in the phone and even seen each other, last time being arround 4 or 5 months ago. We are all dome with the "Fuvk them" and the "No, fuck you" stuff (laughs). Actually Dr Jekyll has become Mr Hyde again has asked me for forgiveness, and has been focused on meditation and stuff like that. In any case, every two years or so he grabs the "Superen Enemy" personality again, but as of today, everything is very well. We talk often via e.mail, since he's been quite friendly latelly, at least beteween him and me. Maybe this time is really definitve, or at least I hope it is for 10 years or so (laughs).

- Talking in general about the band's career, you've been in Stratovarius since the midd 90's, almost 20 years now, and you also joined when the band really starte to shine, and when one of the best albums of the band was recorded (Episode). Do you remember the first time you were in the band and all those early times?

Jens.- I remember when Tolkki sent me the first demo of his band, in 1995 or something, and I thought right from the begining that the songs were really good. Then I decided to do the "Episode" album with the band, because I liked the songs. Then I remember a lot of work in very little time, when we made like three or four albums in like four years, plus a live album and lots of gigs. Everything was like that ever since, and I don't think it was because of me or Tolkki, but more because of the music. Beaucse of STRATOVARIUS itself.

- We are almos done but, can you tell us what Stratovarius albums are your favorite and why? and also, could you choose 3 or 4 favorite Stratovarius songs for you?

Jens.- One of my favorite albums is precisely the live album "Visions of Europe", because it captures Stratovarius' energy very well in the late 90's. I remember we recorded a section in Italy and another one in Greece. We also were arround Spain, but we didn't record there in the end. I also think it has a great sound and that it shows very well how we used to sound live back then, and of course, it has some great songs. It also helped to recover this kind of music, which was a bit dead in 93 and 94 after NIRVANA.

About songs, I could name lots of them, but I'll tell you some rare ones, like "Cold winter nights" from the "Destiny" album, which I think is very interesting. And from "Elements Pt. 1" I like the bonus track a lot, called "Into Deep Blue", just to name a couple of more obsucre songs that I really like.

- As a keyboard player you are considered as one of the best and most influential in the world, and as of today, STRATOVARIUS and all the bands that were kindda spanwed by it wouldn't have sense without the sound of your keyboard. How do you see today this fact that many musicians follow you ever since Yngwie and so on?

Jens.- I'm not totally sure. It's a bit strange in a way. I think I did something quite hard in the 80's, because not many metal bands had a keyboard player back then. It was different with rock, but in heavy metal the norm was two guitars, and the keyboard had no place, you know, kindda like an extra (laughs). By the time I joined Stratovarius it was a little different, and the keyboards were more common in metal bands, but not in the 80's.
¿Quien CHINGADOS tradujo esta MIERDA al español? :x
Porque SE que la entrevista la hiciste en inglés y que luego la tradujiste al español.
Si estás leyendo esto, dejame decirte:

ESCRIBES CON EL CULO

Me costó mucho trabajo darle coherencia al texto. Esta MUY MAL escrito.

@Jens: Sorry if I placed words in your mouth or something by accident. The translation to spanish was HORRIBLE, and I just tried to keep the context. :?

P.S. I once thought The Kiss of Judas's lyrics were saying something like... "The ANTS of confideeence, The Kiss of Judas"

:)
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

Tero-75

Re: Jens Johansson Interview (IN ENGLISH)

Post by Tero-75 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks for the translation :)

Krigo

Post by Krigo » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Thank you for the translation! It was a very interesting and enjoyable read. :)

Southern_Stratofan

Post by Southern_Stratofan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:21 pm

In the tradition of always learning something new....

Jens spoke about a bonus track (Into Deep Blue) on Elements 1. Which release is that found on?
Im searching for something. I do not know what, nor do I know what will happen when I find it.

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Southern_Stratofan wrote:In the tradition of always learning something new....

Jens spoke about a bonus track (Into Deep Blue) on Elements 1. Which release is that found on?
I have a duo digipack release with both Elements 1 & 2, and that track is on Pt. 1
Tony Kakko

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:00 am

Yeah, I believe it was an Elements Pt. 1 bonus track on the Japanese version.

VictorTDD

Post by VictorTDD » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:26 am

Southern_Stratofan wrote:In the tradition of always learning something new....

On Japan edition, South Korean edition and Taiwanese edition of Elements Pt. 1

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:44 am

Shit shit and shit! :x
---...---

tpocain

Post by tpocain » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:16 am

Sorry to hear about the whole fiasco with the Spanish--but what a wonderful interview! Thank you!:D
Tams

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:09 am

---...---

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:06 pm

AGAG wrote:Image
That was very constructive :)
Tony Kakko

Ilsekena

Post by Ilsekena » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:52 am

JJ wrote: I'm the guy in the band who has been in contact with him the most. Usually via e-mail, but we've also talked a few times in the phone and even seen each other, last time being arround 4 or 5 months ago.
Awesum. Especially considering that mr. pörkki last year said something like.. "Jens is crazy because he keeps emailing me like nothing happened". :roll: