Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
User avatar
Texidor
Sr. Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:41 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Texidor » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Rebel wrote:
Texidor wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Texidor wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Texidor wrote: Would you call better than Infinite? What are your fave tracks so far?
There's absolutely no way I could make that comparison just yet. Unbreakable is great, Abandon, Fantasy, Dragons, Nemesis all come to mind from the first listen. Stand My Ground is what's on right now, and I love it. I feel like all of these songs have the potential to be "favorites" right now. It's such a solid album. Oh man, there's that Episode flashback again.

Halcyon days is very catchy too. When Kotipelto said they "Gave this as much time as it needed", I believe him, this is solid front to back. A lot of people are really going to love "Fantasy" and rightfully so, that would sound amazing played live.
When I think of Episode, I think of a more neo classical style!
It's just one of the tones Jens has on his keyboard, though there are little bits of neo-classical noodling here and there

God this wait is killing me!
The listening party will be very bittersweet, because there's no way I could have taken in everything in one listen.
I know, it feels like I'm interviewing you.... I'm sorry. Any other thoughts ?
SHINE ON!

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Rebel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:04 am

Texidor wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Texidor wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Texidor wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Texidor wrote: Would you call better than Infinite? What are your fave tracks so far?
There's absolutely no way I could make that comparison just yet. Unbreakable is great, Abandon, Fantasy, Dragons, Nemesis all come to mind from the first listen. Stand My Ground is what's on right now, and I love it. I feel like all of these songs have the potential to be "favorites" right now. It's such a solid album. Oh man, there's that Episode flashback again.

Halcyon days is very catchy too. When Kotipelto said they "Gave this as much time as it needed", I believe him, this is solid front to back. A lot of people are really going to love "Fantasy" and rightfully so, that would sound amazing played live.

When I think of Episode, I think of a more neo classical style!
It's just one of the tones Jens has on his keyboard, though there are little bits of neo-classical noodling here and there

God this wait is killing me!
The listening party will be very bittersweet, because there's no way I could have taken in everything in one listen.
I know, it feels like I'm interviewing you.... I'm sorry. Any other thoughts ?
This will continue to turn heads in the power metal community, Tolkki will cry himself to sleep for a month.

And now for the guess the songwriters game:


Abandon: Lauri
Unbreakable: Matias
Stand My Ground: Matias
Halcyon Days: Matias
Fantasy: Kotipelto
Out of the Fog: Lauri
Castles In The Air: Lauri
Dragons: Jens
One Must Fall: Jens
If The Story Is Over: Kotipelto
Nemesis: Matias
They let us have signatures on this forum???

User avatar
Texidor
Sr. Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:41 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Texidor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:16 am

Rebel wrote:
Texidor wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Texidor wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Texidor wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Texidor wrote: Would you call better than Infinite? What are your fave tracks so far?
There's absolutely no way I could make that comparison just yet. Unbreakable is great, Abandon, Fantasy, Dragons, Nemesis all come to mind from the first listen. Stand My Ground is what's on right now, and I love it. I feel like all of these songs have the potential to be "favorites" right now. It's such a solid album. Oh man, there's that Episode flashback again.

Halcyon days is very catchy too. When Kotipelto said they "Gave this as much time as it needed", I believe him, this is solid front to back. A lot of people are really going to love "Fantasy" and rightfully so, that would sound amazing played live.
I won't be able to tell by the titles..... Any longer songs on the albun
When I think of Episode, I think of a more neo classical style!
It's just one of the tones Jens has on his keyboard, though there are little bits of neo-classical noodling here and there

God this wait is killing me!
The listening party will be very bittersweet, because there's no way I could have taken in everything in one listen.
I know, it feels like I'm interviewing you.... I'm sorry. Any other thoughts ?
This will continue to turn heads in the power metal community, Tolkki will cry himself to sleep for a month.

And now for the guess the songwriters game:


Abandon: Matias
Unbreakable: Matias
Stand My Ground:
Halcyon Days:
Fantasy: Kotipelto
Out of the Fog: Lauri
Castles In The Air:
Dragons: Jens
One Must Fall:
If The Story Is Over:
Nemesis: Matias

I can't tell by the titles.... Are they're long songs like Elysium
SHINE ON!

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Rebel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:31 am

They really need to do a setlist overhaul, between the most recent 3 albums, and like, Speed of Light, Black Diamond, Father Time and Hunting High and Low, there's more than enough great songs to put together a headlining setlist without carting out Twilight Symphony or Phoenix
They let us have signatures on this forum???

User avatar
brought2ubyletterC
Sr. Member
Posts: 4819
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:15 am
Location: A Pacific Ocean Soul (California, United States)
Contact:

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 am

Sorry, but I love setlists when bands pull old songs from the vault that haven't been heard for a long time. Much as I love "Black Diamond", "Hunting", etc., I would also like to hear other stuff that I may not have heard in a long time, if ever at all.

User avatar
NeverendingAbyss
Sr. Member
Posts: 4829
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: Betty White will outlive the queen.

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:25 am

Can you rate each song? 10/10s? 8/10s? 6.5/10s?

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Rebel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:11 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:Can you rate each song? 10/10s? 8/10s? 6.5/10s?
What I've told people is that it's going to take me awhile to be critical about this album, because I'm so excited about it as a fan. I don't tend to do song by song ratings either. Rather than doing a song by song rundown, I'll point out the biggest differences I see in this from Elysium:
No weak songs, I'm not a fan of ballads, but there's only one and it sounds good for a ballad.

Lauri's bass is cranked up and it really helps the sound.

Matias has grown a lot with his rhythm guitars. I was talking with Jonathan Hinds of Theocracy at a concert (He's their rhythm guitarist) and he said one of the things he really enjoyed about Tolkki's playing, and something he felt was lost in the newer albums was that Timo Tolkki was a tremendous rhythm guitars, and Matias has really stepped up on this one.

Kotipelto is employing a lot more vocal layering and choir use on this record, and Jens' palette of keyboard tones seems to have expanded quite a bit. Much more diverse sound.

Still trying to get a wrap on Rolf's drumming. Favorite songs right now are Abandon/Unbreakable/Halcyon Days/Fantasy/Dragons
They let us have signatures on this forum???

User avatar
Texidor
Sr. Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:41 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Texidor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:17 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:Can you rate each song? 10/10s? 8/10s? 6.5/10s?
That would be cool but I understand Rebel is still letting this album in. It seems like a very intense album. I am thoroughly excited!
SHINE ON!

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Rebel, do you feel more progressive approach in this album and less power metal? I hope so.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Rebel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:26 pm

RazielSR wrote:Rebel, do you feel more progressive approach in this album and less power metal? I hope so.
For the purposes of what you're asking yes. I'd still call it power metal, but a lot of people will call it progressive metal, because it's not anything like what the did on Visions. Very new and very fresh.
They let us have signatures on this forum???

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:02 pm

Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:Rebel, do you feel more progressive approach in this album and less power metal? I hope so.
For the purposes of what you're asking yes. I'd still call it power metal, but a lot of people will call it progressive metal, because it's not anything like what the did on Visions. Very new and very fresh.
Ok, many thanks, I want more progpower in them, not 100 prog of course, but you know...another step in many things we started to see with Elysium. Thanks for your answer."Very new and very fresh" sounds AMAZING. :) :) :) :) :)
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Rebel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:14 pm

RazielSR wrote:
Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:Rebel, do you feel more progressive approach in this album and less power metal? I hope so.
For the purposes of what you're asking yes. I'd still call it power metal, but a lot of people will call it progressive metal, because it's not anything like what the did on Visions. Very new and very fresh.
Ok, many thanks, I want more progpower in them, not 100 prog of course, but you know...another step in many things we started to see with Elysium. Thanks for your answer."Very new and very fresh" sounds AMAZING. :) :) :) :) :)
I can't imagine anyone who has been a fan of the band not loving this album
They let us have signatures on this forum???

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:Rebel, do you feel more progressive approach in this album and less power metal? I hope so.
For the purposes of what you're asking yes. I'd still call it power metal, but a lot of people will call it progressive metal, because it's not anything like what the did on Visions. Very new and very fresh.
Ok, many thanks, I want more progpower in them, not 100 prog of course, but you know...another step in many things we started to see with Elysium. Thanks for your answer."Very new and very fresh" sounds AMAZING. :) :) :) :) :)
I can't imagine anyone who has been a fan of the band not loving this album
Dude, stop it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Rebel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:53 pm

RazielSR wrote:
Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:Rebel, do you feel more progressive approach in this album and less power metal? I hope so.
For the purposes of what you're asking yes. I'd still call it power metal, but a lot of people will call it progressive metal, because it's not anything like what the did on Visions. Very new and very fresh.
Ok, many thanks, I want more progpower in them, not 100 prog of course, but you know...another step in many things we started to see with Elysium. Thanks for your answer."Very new and very fresh" sounds AMAZING. :) :) :) :) :)
I can't imagine anyone who has been a fan of the band not loving this album
Dude, stop it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know how I was complaining that Elysium had weak songs, too many ballads, and maybe a filler song or two? I still don't like ballads, but there's only 1 and its good, and past that, pretty much any of the other 10 could realistically be anyone's favorite. It's that solid front to back.
They let us have signatures on this forum???

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by RazielSR » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:Rebel, do you feel more progressive approach in this album and less power metal? I hope so.
For the purposes of what you're asking yes. I'd still call it power metal, but a lot of people will call it progressive metal, because it's not anything like what the did on Visions. Very new and very fresh.
Ok, many thanks, I want more progpower in them, not 100 prog of course, but you know...another step in many things we started to see with Elysium. Thanks for your answer."Very new and very fresh" sounds AMAZING. :) :) :) :) :)
I can't imagine anyone who has been a fan of the band not loving this album
Dude, stop it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know how I was complaining that Elysium had weak songs, too many ballads, and maybe a filler song or two? I still don't like ballads, but there's only 1 and its good, and past that, pretty much any of the other 10 could realistically be anyone's favorite. It's that solid front to back.
Then, are we maybe in front of another album as epic as Episode or almost???
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Rebel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:46 pm

RazielSR wrote:
Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
Rebel wrote:
RazielSR wrote:Rebel, do you feel more progressive approach in this album and less power metal? I hope so.
For the purposes of what you're asking yes. I'd still call it power metal, but a lot of people will call it progressive metal, because it's not anything like what the did on Visions. Very new and very fresh.
Ok, many thanks, I want more progpower in them, not 100 prog of course, but you know...another step in many things we started to see with Elysium. Thanks for your answer."Very new and very fresh" sounds AMAZING. :) :) :) :) :)
I can't imagine anyone who has been a fan of the band not loving this album
Dude, stop it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know how I was complaining that Elysium had weak songs, too many ballads, and maybe a filler song or two? I still don't like ballads, but there's only 1 and its good, and past that, pretty much any of the other 10 could realistically be anyone's favorite. It's that solid front to back.
Then, are we maybe in front of another album as epic as Episode or almost???
Gut reaction if I had to rank the "Power Metal" Stratovarius albums (So discounting the first 3, it would go something like Episode, Visions, Nemesis, Infinite, Elysium, Destiny...

This is all really subject to change though, my opinions on Elysium were really high when I first heard it and the cooled a bit from there.

I Kind of wonder if, like Infernal Maze, Halcyon Days is one of the sections Matias cut from Elysium
They let us have signatures on this forum???

User avatar
AAAAAAAAAA
Sr. Member
Posts: 3585
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Is the angel's naked butt referred to in the lyrics?

Does Kotipelto still have an accent?

Are the songs danceable?

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Rebel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Is the angel's naked butt referred to in the lyrics?

Does Kotipelto still have an accent?

Are the songs danceable?
I don't tend to listen much to lyrics, but the first song seems to be about a train.

Would he even be Kotipelto without one?

I have full confidence in your ability to dance to anything Stratovarius puts out
They let us have signatures on this forum???

User avatar
rikkertje
Sr. Member
Posts: 1801
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:14 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by rikkertje » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Rebel wrote:...Kotipelto is employing a lot more vocal layering and choir use on this record...
Hmmm. I love that. Only thing is that if it is a big part of the music they should definitely use the choirs as a backing track on live shows. I find that songs with lots of backings on the studio versions sound very empty when played live without the backings. (e.g. Eagleheart, HHaL)

User avatar
AAAAAAAAAA
Sr. Member
Posts: 3585
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:04 am

Rebel wrote:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Does Kotipelto still have an accent?
Would he even be Kotipelto without one?
It would be a whole 'nother you-knee-vearse... :nervous:
Rebel wrote:I have full confidence in your ability to dance to anything Stratovarius puts out
Bless your heart, lad! Let it be noted that I'm not too proud for a compliment. :)

User avatar
Shogakat
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 am
Location: Barcelona, CAT, Spain

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Shogakat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:55 am

Cool , it seems that the CD is gonna be awesome! Here is a fast "review" about the album with very positive words and it explains more or less the basic things of every song in the album!

http://theageofmetal.com/2013/01/strato ... esis-2013/

I am really curious about Nemesis length... If this album is more modern and a bit more heavier and direct than Elysium, it seems that perhaps could loose a bit of progressive elements
(with Matias I am sure that there will be always progressive stuff) and one could be the length of title track Nemesis... and I am curious if the title track could be better than the
masterpiece Elysium, I think that that song is (in general terms) insuperable.

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:41 am

Shogakat wrote:Cool , it seems that the CD is gonna be awesome! Here is a fast "review" about the album with very positive words and it explains more or less the basic things of every song in the album!

http://theageofmetal.com/2013/01/strato ... esis-2013/

I am really curious about Nemesis length... If this album is more modern and a bit more heavier and direct than Elysium, it seems that perhaps could loose a bit of progressive elements
(with Matias I am sure that there will be always progressive stuff) and one could be the length of title track Nemesis... and I am curious if the title track could be better than the
masterpiece Elysium, I think that that song is (in general terms) insuperable.
Dangit, my review goes up tomorrow and I was hoping it would be the first.
Nemesis is maybe 6 minutes long, there's nothing longer than 7 minutes on this album

Edit: Nemesis is 6:33
They let us have signatures on this forum???

TheLegendaryDreamer
Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:03 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by TheLegendaryDreamer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:41 am

Rebel wrote:
Shogakat wrote:Cool , it seems that the CD is gonna be awesome! Here is a fast "review" about the album with very positive words and it explains more or less the basic things of every song in the album!

http://theageofmetal.com/2013/01/strato ... esis-2013/

I am really curious about Nemesis length... If this album is more modern and a bit more heavier and direct than Elysium, it seems that perhaps could loose a bit of progressive elements
(with Matias I am sure that there will be always progressive stuff) and one could be the length of title track Nemesis... and I am curious if the title track could be better than the
masterpiece Elysium, I think that that song is (in general terms) insuperable.
Dangit, my review goes up tomorrow and I was hoping it would be the first.
Nemesis is maybe 6 minutes long, there's nothing longer than 7 minutes on this album

Edit: Nemesis is 6:33
What's a good approximation of the total runtime of the whole album played front to back?

User avatar
Texidor
Sr. Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:41 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Texidor » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:43 am

Rebel wrote:
Shogakat wrote:Cool , it seems that the CD is gonna be awesome! Here is a fast "review" about the album with very positive words and it explains more or less the basic things of every song in the album!

http://theageofmetal.com/2013/01/strato ... esis-2013/

I am really curious about Nemesis length... If this album is more modern and a bit more heavier and direct than Elysium, it seems that perhaps could loose a bit of progressive elements
(with Matias I am sure that there will be always progressive stuff) and one could be the length of title track Nemesis... and I am curious if the title track could be better than the
masterpiece Elysium, I think that that song is (in general terms) insuperable.
Dangit, my review goes up tomorrow and I was hoping it would be the first.
Nemesis is maybe 6 minutes long, there's nothing longer than 7 minutes on this album

Edit: Nemesis is 6:33


Its similar to Polaris or Episode, where most songs were no more than 7 min long I think. Thats Great ! Now if only we can get some samples of tha damn , then it will be really evident. Love reading about it but would love to hear even just a snippet!
SHINE ON!

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:23 am

My quick math says the runtime is 55:32
They let us have signatures on this forum???

User avatar
brought2ubyletterC
Sr. Member
Posts: 4819
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:15 am
Location: A Pacific Ocean Soul (California, United States)
Contact:

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:01 am

Is the angel's naked butt referred to in the lyrics?
I would also like to know this, and if the dragons are gay.

TheLegendaryDreamer
Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:03 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by TheLegendaryDreamer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:28 am

Rebel wrote:My quick math says the runtime is 55:32
Not bad. Color me interested.

User avatar
NeverendingAbyss
Sr. Member
Posts: 4829
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:41 pm
Location: Betty White will outlive the queen.

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 am

OH FUCK. CANNOT FUCKING WAIT.

SHIT!

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:13 am

brought2ubyletterC wrote:
Is the angel's naked butt referred to in the lyrics?
I would also like to know this, and if the dragons are gay.
The Dragons aren't stated to be gay, but you might know that you're stronger than they are, and you know that you're faster than they are.

btw, the "Small tour of the studio" that Matias did, with that lyric "Freedom! the life of a drifter!"

That's Abandon.
They let us have signatures on this forum???

User avatar
Shogakat
Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 am
Location: Barcelona, CAT, Spain

Re: Stratovarius Listening Party!!

Post by Shogakat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:44 am

Finally a more direct approach album. That's definetely what this band need at this certain point.

Yesterday night a man posted a video talking about Nemesis but he was talking louder than the music and it was a shame (he played Abandon)... Today on the morning the video has disappeard, it was a bad video but anyway I was willing to post it here :?

Well, let's wait and wait without samples haha! :lol:

Post Reply