Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
robocop
Re: Timo Tolkki's Avalon Pt. 3 and tour

Post by robocop » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:27 pm

ZenithMC wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:04 am

Speaking of Angra, I went to go take a look at their Metal Archives page and was stunned to see so many 90+ rated albums! :shock: I've never listened to them before, but based on those reviews, I think I'm going to change that now.
One of the first albums I heard from them in the early 2000s. Impulse buy from a cd store. 🤠

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:33 pm

I'll have to listen to Angra's Holy Land, then. I never got into Angra. At least the songs I've listened to were kind of generic.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:21 pm

ZenithMC wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:04 am
Speaking of Angra, I went to go take a look at their Metal Archives page and was stunned to see so many 90+ rated albums! :shock: I've never listened to them before, but based on those reviews, I think I'm going to change that now.
I checked and the sample size of reviews is so small < 10 that its probably not very meaningful. In that respect I think rym.com is much better as there are far more reviews.

But yes, its a fantastic band:

Angels Cry / Holy Land are two albums that are as strong as Episode / Visions (and there are not many!). My favorite of the two is Holy Land as its a concept album with a unique vibe. Very curious what your thoughts are on it.

The album Robocop posted, Temple of Shadows, is also widely considered their magnum opus- though because the lead singer had changed by this time, the fans are torn between the old era (Matos) and the new era (Falaschi).

They have a lot of other great albums, but those three (Angels Cry, Holy Land, and Temple of Shadows) are probably the strongest.

What NeverendingAbyss calls "generic" is probably the first album after the major lineup change, Rebirth. Still a great album (excellent production by Dennis Ward, incredible musicianship, melodies, and solos...but admittedly the songwriting is a bit generic).

Their most recent lineup actually has Fabio Lione on vocals. Still good but less essential.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:16 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:21 pm
I checked and the sample size of reviews is so small < 10 that its probably not very meaningful. In that respect I think rym.com is much better as there are far more reviews.
That's a fairly average sample size for Metal Archives, but fair point. I went on rateyourmusic.com and I felt like a complete idiot trying to understand the rating system. After digging around, it turns out that albums are rated out of 5.0... :? After checking out some of my favorite bands, it seems like "god tier" is anything around or above 3.5.

It seems like the problem with having a huge sample size is that almost all the bands that I checked out are rated around the 3.5 range... even the ones that I despise! :lol: Therefore, it's an unreliable source for determining that information. I think it's way more reliable to read reviews of even just one guy, if I know for a fact that he has the exact same tastes as myself.

Also, lmao that Awaken the Guardian is the highest rated Fate's Warning album on RYM. :lol: It also has the most ratings, by far.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:32 pm

ZenithMC wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:16 pm

That's a fairly average sample size for Metal Archives, but fair point. I went on rateyourmusic.com and I felt like a complete idiot trying to understand the rating system. After digging around, it turns out that albums are rated out of 5.0... :? After checking out some of my favorite bands, it seems like "god tier" is anything around or above 3.5.
When it comes to RYM, there are various biases to consider- same with any rating system.

It is most useful for comparing the quality of a band's albums to one another, or comparing the output of one band from a particular era to a band in the same genre and era. You'll notice all the highest ratest stuff in RYM is really old material: all the classic stuff is really inflated by nostalgic boomers.

There are various other biases but I want bore you!
It seems like the problem with having a huge sample size is that almost all the bands that I checked out are rated around the 3.5 range... even the ones that I despise! :lol: Therefore, it's an unreliable source for determining that information.
Well, whatever it is you're trying to measure, more ratings is better than less ratings. Obviously the site can't tell you what YOU are going to like. If there are many albums in the 3.5 range it just means there are a lot of albums that some people like and some people don't.
Also, lmao that Awaken the Guardian is the highest rated Fate's Warning album on RYM. :lol: It also has the most ratings, by far.
I hate that album. What awful singing and production. Fate's Warning has better albums with Ray Alder, like Disconnected for example.

Still, you can't deny that Awaken the Guardian is one of their most influential works.

ZenithMC

Post by ZenithMC » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:14 am

Welp, RYM just locked me out of the site by accusing me of being a robot. What, they can't handle like 10 band searches in 20 minutes? Give me a break... :lol: :roll:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:32 pm
It is most useful for comparing the quality of a band's albums to one another
This is definitely true.
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
or comparing the output of one band from a particular era to a band in the same genre and era.
This is less reliable, but maybe...
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
You'll notice all the highest ratest stuff in RYM is really old material: all the classic stuff is really inflated by nostalgic boomers.
Yes! :lol:

Well anyway, time to go waste my time by solving a goddamned captcha... :shake:

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:58 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:33 pm
I'll have to listen to Angra's Holy Land, then. I never got into Angra. At least the songs I've listened to were kind of generic.
I'd like to listen to Angra on a beach in Brazil surrounded by oiled up AI sex bots while chugging a bottle of the cheapest beer.

Talking serious...I was never a huge fan either. I kind of weave in and out of different music all the time. If that is the album I'm thinking of, the production didn't sound very good to my ears and it kept me from even listening to any more of the album.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:49 am

robocop wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:58 am
NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:33 pm
Talking serious...I was never a huge fan either. I kind of weave in and out of different music all the time. If that is the album I'm thinking of, the production didn't sound very good to my ears and it kept me from even listening to any more of the album.
Give it another listen. I think the production is pristine, though its not a very heavy album.

It was produced by Charlie Bauerfeind and Sascha Paeth: two really famous producers you probably already heard of.

Temple of Shadows is a lot more conventional progressive/power metal album and I can respect if you like that more, but for me- Angels Cry/Holy Land are pure gold.

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:37 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:49 am

Give it another listen. I think the production is pristine, though its not a very heavy album.

It was produced by Charlie Bauerfeind and Sascha Paeth: two really famous producers you probably already heard of.

Temple of Shadows is a lot more conventional progressive/power metal album and I can respect if you like that more, but for me- Angels Cry/Holy Land are pure gold.
I haven’t heard Temple of Shadows for so long. Other than when I posted it here. So..I listened to the early albums. Well, just a tiny bit. I’m not satisfied with the quality on the streaming app I use. Looking around for high quality rips of it. I do like the shred/wank over the top at the first songs start on holy land. That always surprised me hearing that originally. I’ll check back when I have time I sit down and listen to the full early albums on my good headphones and interface.

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:23 pm

I am a huge fan of Rebirth but Temple of Shadows has always been forgettable for me. No matter how many times I try to listen I always zone out and forget what I've heard. Same thing with the last two - love Secret Garden, can't remember a thing from Omni.

Love Angels Cry - it sounds like a completely different band recorded it.

thefreeone

Post by thefreeone » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:35 pm

SentineLEX wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:23 pm
I am a huge fan of Rebirth but Temple of Shadows has always been forgettable for me. No matter how many times I try to listen I always zone out and forget what I've heard. Same thing with the last two - love Secret Garden, can't remember a thing from Omni.

Alongside Rebirth, Temple of Sahdows is Angra's best album so far.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:53 pm

thefreeone wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:35 pm
SentineLEX wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:23 pm

Alongside Rebirth, Temple of Sahdows is Angra's best album so far.
Rebirth is another classic. A bit too generic power metal at times, but its so well executed and catchy that you have to love it.

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:39 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:

Tried to listen to those 2 albums. Could not get through the songs. :~(

I'm going to save the albums for when I'm in more of a different mood for songs like this.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:43 pm

robocop wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:39 pm
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:

Tried to listen to those 2 albums. Could not get through the songs. :~(

I'm going to save the albums for when I'm in more of a different mood for songs like this.
I see. Well thanks for giving it a whirl. I guess you're more into a traditional riff-oriented heavy metal sound rather than the orchestral/symphonic excesses of early Angra :lol:

I also have phases.

I listened to Rhapsody of Fire and all derivative bands obsessively for like 5 months, and got so burned out that I'm into bands like Running Wild and Axel Rudi Pell now.

robocop

Post by robocop » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:46 pm

I like lots of type of stuff. Doesn’t have to be like a US riff oriented power metal sound.

This is something like I’d enjoy for symphonic type:

I mean, I went through a phase where I even listened to Nightwish a lot. Mainly with Annette since I cannot stand the opera type of vocal. :D :lol:

I don’t want to spam with vids. Got to look up Tolkki to see if he’s still selling Avon, lmao.

FIELDSss Offff AVON!!! :lol:

:lol:

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:04 am

robocop wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:46 pm
I like lots of type of stuff. Doesn’t have to be like a US riff oriented power metal sound.

I mean, I went through a phase where I even listened to Nightwish a lot. Mainly with Annette since I cannot stand the opera type of vocal. :D :lol:

I don’t want to spam with vids. Got to look up Tolkki to see if he’s still selling Avon, lmao.

FIELDSss Offff AVON!!! :lol:

I preferred Anette as well

Although I'm sad Stratovarius didn't fully explore elementary-school-oriented-metal alongside their vocalist. That's the best kind of all.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:08 am

Bizarre interview with Claudia Perl as she tells her side of the story...

robocop

Post by robocop » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:21 am

:o :shock:
Thanks for the link. He's been with some many randoms so this is going to be exciting. :lol:

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:10 pm

robocop wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:21 am
:o :shock:
Thanks for the link. He's been with some many randoms so this is going to be exciting. :lol:
I saw your comment in Youtube:
Arnold Layne here. Tolkki told me to send him new underwear and five gallons of coca cola. His Avon and Herbalife business must be going well! Not a scam, duh. Self made.

I did hear the other song by Claudia Perl linked in the comments. Between her song and Robocop's anthem on burgers, I'd go with Robo. :lol:

robocop

Post by robocop » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:25 pm

Forgot on thing. “Cheers from Leeds.” :lol:

You know what I’m noticing about these Angra albums again, there’s way more twists and turns with more dynamics than what I’m used to hearing. Even the Latin drum patterns I’m digging. Always wanted to learn how to play those. Got to dive in multiple listens here over a period of time for a more thorough listen.
SentineLEX wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:04 am

I preferred Anette as well

Although I'm sad Stratovarius didn't fully explore elementary-school-oriented-metal alongside their vocalist. That's the best kind of all.
Maybe I’m just leaning toward the more straight forward type of Episode songs when I’m thinking about my favorite power metal.
There is a time and place for it all. I’m sure they will try out different things eventually.

I mean, with the nightwish, I can also listen to the old stuff with the classic production that I love. It’s just that I prefer the Annette vocal style for some reason.

Are you into amazing quality audio? I’ve been looking for higher quality strato albums to buy. I found this and I’m excited to buy it:

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/22493

https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/5dc310 ... f49b955a10

They also have visions of Europe on the hdtracks site.

I’ve got to eventually get better speakers. But my Studio headphones and interface will be fine for now. Destiny is also on one of those sites.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:01 pm

I wonder who was second choice for vocalist after Dreamspace, and third choice for that matter.

I listened to Holy Land while driving back to campus. It's a solid album! Clean, curvy, and with lots of good rythm.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:22 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:01 pm
I wonder who was second choice for vocalist after Dreamspace, and third choice for that matter.

I listened to Holy Land while driving back to campus. It's a solid album! Clean, curvy, and with lots of good rythm.
Awesome, thanks for checking it out! At first, what I found most moving about Holy Land was the bombastic tracks like ZITO, Nothing to Say, Carolina IV, but now I find myself enjoying some of the more low key tunes like Deep Blue and Holy Land as well.

Angels Cry is not any less of an album either: its just not as cohesive.

The second choice for vocalist of Stratovarius (or rather, the only other choice) was Nils Patrik Johansson. Not very well known, perhaps best known for his time in Wuthering Heights.

But it became clear that he was not a standard power metal singer: more Dio than Kiske.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:27 pm

robocop wrote:

That tune really resonated with me actually. Very epic and dramatic. I'm going to check out Dimmu Borgir. Heard their name a lot over the years but never gave them their due.

SentineLEX

Post by SentineLEX » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:50 pm

robocop wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:25 pm
Maybe I’m just leaning toward the more straight forward type of Episode songs when I’m thinking about my favorite power metal.
There is a time and place for it all. I’m sure they will try out different things eventually.

I mean, with the nightwish, I can also listen to the old stuff with the classic production that I love. It’s just that I prefer the Annette vocal style for some reason.
I think in my case I liked the more poppy sound she brought with her voice. Not to say I want the sound itself to go completely in the pop direction like she's doing with Jani, but Dark Passion Play was right around my ideal balance.

When I first got into Strato back in like 2009 or 10 I listened to Black Diamond, didn't like it, found Hunting High and Low, loved it, and ended up falling in love with Infinite in particular. So I guess I just like poppy metal :oops:
Are you into amazing quality audio? I’ve been looking for higher quality strato albums to buy. I found this and I’m excited to buy it:

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/22493

https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/5dc310 ... f49b955a10

They also have visions of Europe on the hdtracks site.

I’ve got to eventually get better speakers. But my Studio headphones and interface will be fine for now. Destiny is also on one of those sites.
Very much so! But I too need to get some better headphones in order to get a good listen.
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:22 pm
NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:01 pm

Awesome, thanks for checking it out! At first, what I found most moving about Holy Land was the bombastic tracks like ZITO, Nothing to Say, Carolina IV, but now I find myself enjoying some of the more low key tunes like Deep Blue and Holy Land as well.

Angels Cry is not any less of an album either: its just not as cohesive.

The second choice for vocalist of Stratovarius (or rather, the only other choice) was Nils Patrik Johansson. Not very well known, perhaps best known for his time in Wuthering Heights.

But it became clear that he was not a standard power metal singer: more Dio than Kiske.
What could have been

Vocals: Nils Patrik Johansson
Keys: Jens Johansson
Drums: Anders Johansson
Guitar: Timo Tolkki
Bass: Jari Behm

robocop

Post by robocop » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:54 am

Which headphones are you interested in? Price range? Senheiser has always been a durable brand for me.

Now...of course there’s tip top pro ones. But I’m a broke bastard. :lol:
Do you have an audio interface?

Funny you mention the band with Jani. I seen some guy selling vinyl near me and in a mix of old records sealed there was that album!! Weird.

With pop infused...
I personally get bored to hell if I hear the verses with the plain ass beat and just a bass line over it. :lol:

robocop

Post by robocop » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:17 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:27 pm
robocop wrote:

That tune really resonated with me actually. Very epic and dramatic. I'm going to check out Dimmu Borgir. Heard their name a lot over the years but never gave them their due.
Got another one for you.

That Dimmu album had a older keyboard composer and is way more epic than any of their other albums imho. You may like others but that’s my fav. 🤪

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:42 am

robocop wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:17 pm
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:27 pm
robocop wrote:

Got another one for you.

That Dimmu album had a older keyboard composer and is way more epic than any of their other albums imho. You may like others but that’s my fav. 🤪
That was pretty cool!!!!! I will check out the full album. Really mesmerizing.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:44 pm

Jaja!!

A "normal" conversation in stratoforum...wat????? Between robolol and A10!!!

...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:04 am

RazielSR wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:44 pm
Jaja!!

Do you believe in hope and faith? :lol:

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:21 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:04 am
RazielSR wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:44 pm
Jaja!!

Do you believe in hope and faith? :lol:

Thanks to robo...yes!!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...