Hymn To Life

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
dwarflander
Re: Re: Re: Hymn To Life

Post by dwarflander » Wed May 14, 2003 11:58 am

WebmasterStratovarius wrote:
Bambi wrote:
I haven't heard it yet. To what Stratovarius album would you compare it?

Ciao,

Bambinocchio
In all honesty it really shouldn't be compared to any Stratovarius albums. It is Hymn to Life by Timo Tolkki. Everyone who expects it to sound like Stratovarius, will definately find otherwise :)
True! And it shouldn´t sound like Strato, either. What would be the point of making a solo album if Timo couldn´t fulfill all the musical aspirations that differ from Timo´s "day job"? Great album,btw 8) My faves are "Are you the one?", "I believe" and "Key to the universe". :)
Pimeys, tästä eteenpäin olet minulle valoa.
(André Gide)

Lord_ZX

Re: Hymn To Life

Post by Lord_ZX » Thu May 15, 2003 5:17 am

I believe that she criticizes it was unjust, because they waited for a album of metal
Im Hunting High and Low,
Sometimes I may win,
sometimes I´ll lose It´s just a game that I play

Mister_Mushroom

Post by Mister_Mushroom » Thu May 15, 2003 12:26 pm

I bought HTL when I saw it in a shop for 5,99€ So I thought hey!, that's cheap!, just as a present for someone I don't like (no names!) Later I realized the name Timo Tolkki... :err: and listened to it: Of course it is NOT Stratovarius and I for myself think that's good!

Kiske's work was GREAT! (And Tolkki's, too, of course!)
thanks for reading

theflyingfinn

Post by theflyingfinn » Thu May 15, 2003 11:41 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
I think it said on the album that TT played the keyboard, didn't it?

He did a good job if that was true!
You seem very fascinated by the credits mentioning Tolkki playing keyboards! Well, determined to dissapoint you again, I believe all piano parts were played by the other guy and Timo only played the underlying keyboard chords, which is fairly easy. But please continue enjoying! :)
I won't diss you on the internet... Coz my mama taught me better than that!

KraKto$is8

Post by KraKto$is8 » Thu May 15, 2003 11:49 pm

I really like Hymn To Life

"Hymn to Life" is definately the best song, although "Father" and "Fresh Blue Waters" are good also (is it me or does "Fresh Blue Waters" remind you of "Drop in the Ocean"?)

The intro is good as well: although the scream in the intro is actually one of the screams from "Father," and the birdsong in the background is repeated in "Hymn to Life"

"I Believe" sounds nice too.

"Classical Variations and Themes" is wildly different, but still a good album. "Greensleeves", "Capriccio in C Minor", and "Guitar Concerto" are my favourites from that album.
boom boom

Elements

Re: Re: Hymn To Life

Post by Elements » Fri May 16, 2003 12:27 am

KraKto$is8 wrote:
(is it me or does "Fresh Blue Waters" remind you of "Drop in the Ocean"?)
It's you :)

Other than the fact that they mention water I don't see the connection either musically or lyrically. (But thats just me someone else may agree with you )

browneyedgirl

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hymn To Life

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri May 16, 2003 7:09 am

theflyingfinn wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
I think it said on the album that TT played the keyboard, didn't it?

He did a good job if that was true!
You seem very fascinated by the credits mentioning Tolkki playing keyboards! Well, determined to dissapoint you again, I believe all piano parts were played by the other guy and Timo only played the underlying keyboard chords, which is fairly easy. But please continue enjoying! :)
Oh, Thank you...I intend to!
Hymn to Life is good album!
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

KraKto$is8

Post by KraKto$is8 » Fri May 16, 2003 6:00 pm

Elements wrote:
KraKto$is8 wrote:
(is it me or does "Fresh Blue Waters" remind you of "Drop in the Ocean"?)
It's you :)

Other than the fact that they mention water I don't see the connection either musically or lyrically. (But thats just me someone else may agree with you )
Yeah, I think you're right.

* Thinks some more. *

Yeah, you are.

Oooh, that's enough thinking for today.

Good songs though, aren't they?
boom boom

Taim

Post by Taim » Fri May 16, 2003 6:22 pm

I only heard one song from it ('Key To Universe' I think). I got it on some promo and listened to it long time ago and can't find this cd now. However I remember I didn't like the song much, didn't impress me at all to buy the album.
It was a match made in Hell, now the whole mountain burns...
... and everyman gets what no man deserves.

~ www.sentenced.prv.pl ~

Elements

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hymn To Life

Post by Elements » Fri May 16, 2003 6:49 pm

KraKto$is8 wrote:

Good songs though, aren't they?

Great songs. Can't disagree with you there.

KraKto$is8

Post by KraKto$is8 » Sun May 18, 2003 12:00 pm

Taim wrote:
I only heard one song from it ('Key To Universe' I think). I got it on some promo and listened to it long time ago and can't find this cd now. However I remember I didn't like the song much, didn't impress me at all to buy the album.
Hmm...
I listened to the album again yesterday, and I really liked Key To The Universe, more than I usually do. Ah well, differing opinions.

@Elements: you could disagree, but it wouldn't be wise =P
boom boom

theflyingfinn

Post by theflyingfinn » Sun May 18, 2003 11:41 pm

Key to the Universe is the Eagleheart of Hymn to Life :)

Allen

Post by Allen » Mon May 19, 2003 4:21 am

Love it also... :)"Now I understand" I love most...I almost cry out every time I listened to them :~(

Elements

Post by Elements » Mon May 19, 2003 3:01 pm

theflyingfinn wrote:
Key to the Universe is the Eagleheart of Hymn to Life :)
:lol:

I think you may be onto something there. finn, I just had a thought for a modification of Allison's drinking game. PM me or meet me in the chatroom when you have chance

Lord_ZX

Post by Lord_ZX » Tue May 20, 2003 5:13 am

mmm, Now I understand is the eagleheart of Hymn to Life...
Im Hunting High and Low,
Sometimes I may win,

theflyingfinn

Post by theflyingfinn » Tue May 20, 2003 12:52 pm

Lord_ZX wrote:
Tell me why.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu May 22, 2003 10:55 pm

theflyingfinn wrote:
Lord_ZX wrote:
Tell me why.
I guess he means it is the song worthy of being a single,standing alone, on Hymn to Life. I can see his point.

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

KraKto$is8

Post by KraKto$is8 » Fri May 23, 2003 6:24 pm

Hmm... true, but it's not the best song on the album (both Now I Understand and Eagleheart). Funny that, isn't it, how singles are rarely the best song on an album?
boom boom

Lord_ZX

Post by Lord_ZX » Sat May 24, 2003 3:16 am

Yes Brownedgirl, you have the certain point, Now You Understand.... ;)
Im Hunting High and Low,
Sometimes I may win,

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat May 24, 2003 8:41 am

KraKto$is8 wrote:
Hmm... true, but it's not the best song on the album (both Now I Understand and Eagleheart). Funny that, isn't it, how singles are rarely the best song on an album?
Yeah, like on Elements--IMO, SOAV deserved to be single.
I think a singles purpose is just to introduce people to the album.

KraKto$is8

Post by KraKto$is8 » Sat May 24, 2003 1:26 pm

Yeah, a (metal) single's purpose is to introduce people to the album. SoaV wouldn't have been that a good single imo, Eagleheart is kinda better, to be a single. It is catchier and more melodius.
boom boom

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat May 24, 2003 3:04 pm

I wonder what song is going to be single off Elements2?

Is it'I sing to my own song?'
Something like that....

Moony

Post by Moony » Sat May 24, 2003 3:23 pm

browneyedgirl wrote: I wonder what song is going to be single off Elements2?
I Walk To My Own Song. It will be released in the beginning of September, said Timo in the Finnish forum. He also said that Elements Pt. 2 will be released on October 27th and the live DVD in January.
You know where you are? You're in the jungle, baby. You're gonna DIE!

Lord_ZX

Post by Lord_ZX » Sun May 25, 2003 12:22 am

Guau, thanks for the news and dates Moony. ;)
Im Hunting High and Low,
Sometimes I may win,

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun May 25, 2003 6:13 am

Moony wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote: I wonder what song is going to be single off Elements2?
I Walk To My Own Song. It will be released in the beginning of September, said Timo in the Finnish forum. He also said that Elements Pt. 2 will be released on October 27th and the live DVD in January.
Thanks!
October 27th? That will not be too long--something to look forward to! WOW! 2 releases in one year-just 9 months apart....Strato is ona roll!
Then, the DVD 3 months later!

Did TT uncork a genie, or something ???
I hope he didn't sell his soul! :eek: :err: :D
I am just kiddin'--I know TT and the band worked their asses, and hearts and souls out for this wonderful turn of events--everything is coming up roses, and the guys deserve it....I hope they enjoy this happy, wonderful time!

theflyingfinn

Post by theflyingfinn » Sun May 25, 2003 11:47 pm

"Thanks!
October 27th? That will not be too long--something to look forward to! WOW! 2 releases in one year-just 9 months apart....Strato is ona roll!
Then, the DVD 3 months later!"

You could've stopped here... That would've been nice.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon May 26, 2003 5:26 am

theflyingfinn wrote:
"Thanks!
Then, the DVD 3 months later!"

You could've stopped here... That would've been nice.
Freedom of Speech remember...
Are you the new moderator?
I didn't think so....
I did not say anything remotely wrong, if so--prove it, please....
Otherwise, use your self-appointed authority somewhere else-like a nursery school, or a jail...

theflyingfinn

Post by theflyingfinn » Mon May 26, 2003 10:44 am

Prove you wrong? Well:
browneyedgirl wrote:
I hope he didn't sell his soul! :eek: :err: :D
I am just kiddin'
So you DID think he sold his soul!!! That's a serious accusation... If the accused is into this religious stuff, that is. I just hope they don't burn him without a trial!! :eek: :)

Anywayz, you have the right to say (just about) anything you feel like in here, I'm not telling you to stop babbling. I'm just proposing that it would be nice if you could just say what you wanna say and cut the sugar. Why the need to ruin your own posts and ridicule yourself with that soap-opera speech every god damn time you mention something related to Strato?

HymnToLife

Post by HymnToLife » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:22 am

Sorry for rewriter this old message. But some weeks I noticed that Tolkki site has ended because attacks against her.
I was just think how patetic people can be dont respecting the right of Tolkki try something diferent (We arent talk some different like pure shit commercial...). That cd sound like something from heart, this is a artwork, and if someone dont like, just stay away.
It only can be empty people that have to pick up to some wrong radical concepts about music and maybe about life to feel better...
After all i think this is a really good album...
http://ahymntolife.cjb.net
I'm the one who holds the key
To all that I can be

HymnToLife

Post by HymnToLife » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:24 am

By the way- the Chaplin speech
-----------------------------

I'm sorry but I don't want to be an Emperor - that's not my business - I don't want to rule or conquer anyone. I should
like to help everyone if possible, Jew, gentile, black man, white. We all want to help one another, human beings are like
that.

We want to live by each other's happiness, not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In
this world there is room for everyone and the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone.

The way of life can be free and beautiful.

But we have lost the way.

Greed has poisoned men's souls - has barricaded the world with hate; has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed.

We have developed speed but we have shut ourselves in: machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge
has made us cynical, our cleverness hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little: More than machinery we need
humanity; More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will
be lost.

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness
in men, cries out for universal brotherhood for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the
world, millions of despairing men, women and little children, victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison
innocent people. To those who can hear me I say "Do not despair".

The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed, the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress: the
hate of men will pass and dictators die, and the power they took from the people, will return to the people and so long as
men die, liberty will never perish...

Soldiers - don't give yourselves to brutes, men who despise you, enslave you - who regiment your lives, tell you what to
do, what to think and what to feel, who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder!

Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men, machine men, with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You
are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don't hate - only the unloved hate - the
unloved and the unnatural. Soldiers - don't fight for slavery, fight for liberty!

In the seventeenth chapter of Saint Luke it is written "the kingdom of God is within man" - not one man, nor a group of men
- but in all men - in you! You the people have the power, the power to create machines, the power to create happiness! You
the people have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure! Then in the name of
democracy let us use that power - let us all unite!!! Let us fight for a new world, a decent world that will give men a
chance to work, that will give you the future and old age and security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to
power, but they lie! They do not fulfil their promise, they never will! Dictators free themselves but they enslave the
people! Now let us fight to fulfil that promise! Let us fight to free the world, to do away with national barriers, to do
away with greed, with hate and intolerance! Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead
to all men's happiness.

Soldiers - in the name of democracy, let us all unite!!!

[Speech by Charlie (Charles) Chaplin (1889-1977) from "The Great Dictator" movie (1940)]
http://ahymntolife.cjb.net
I'm the one who holds the key
To all that I can be