What do you think about "Infinite Visions" DVD/Vid

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Electric Eye
What do you think about "Infinite Visions" DVD/Vid

Post by Electric Eye » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:21 pm

Yesterday I wached it, and I must admit I'm dissapointed a bit. I though it's a kind of ducumentary movie with some history, biographies or interviews with musicans and their friends, but it turned out that this is a medley of amateur video movies that says completly nothing. I think that such publications should be a source of information for fans about history of their idols, but instead of this we see mixture of some archives movies, fragments of talks, shots from few cities and scens where main leading is alhohol. Those celebration of driniking is irritating, it looks like guys would like to brag that they can drink, but damn, there's nothing to boast about, anyone can do it! So the summary of this video is: gig, drinking, travel, another city, gig, drinking, travel, another city, etc... I know, that this is how tours look like, and it's good way to show it, but where are some reflection about their creative activity, their ideas, thinks over music, fans. There's no dramaturgy or sense in this medley.
Nevertheless some parts are really intersting and attractive, like gigs with TT on vocal, first gig with TK, or JJ and JM, but even not whole songs.
Some videos (why not all?!) are saving the day, but it is nothing new, you can download them from webpage. I think it's too little, it looks like a bonus disc to full proffesional band biography...
I wonder what do you think about this?

BTW at the begining and the end we see both Timos. First they are talking about this movie and at the end Tolkki is talking about future. Then (in 2000) it would be quite promising, he's talking about plans in 2 and half year in advance ("Intermission" album, summer festivals, new album in 2003). It looks like he hadn't had idea then what's next, and then ofcourse it wasn't disturbing or odd, but now...? Still no answer what's next?
Last edited by Electric Eye on Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So where does the power come from to see the race to its end?
From within.

FakeTolkki

Re: What do you think about "Infinite Visions" DVD/Vid

Post by FakeTolkki » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:34 pm

actualy i think its a great video.....they said its a genuine home video so it shows people what is the life of a heavy metal star....i like it specialy because they were not interested in show how good theyr tecnics are like other bands.....they only show how fun it is to be on tour and how tiring.....you can see that there are lots of badly playng songs like the visions song which tolkki played realy bad (and drunk) and on 4000 raining nights wich is time for koti sing very bad......but they dont care on showing that because it shows how they put their emotions on stage.... 8)

Electric Eye

Post by Electric Eye » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:25 pm

I don't mean I don't like it, I really do. I think it's great thing but for fans only. The problem is, that it didn't fulfill my expectations, I wanted to get familiar with Stratovarius history, but watching those accidental shots is also really cool and great. My only one accusation is that they didn't make it professionally but mixed it from different, accidental stuff from the past, which should be rather a suplement to pofessional movie but not its essence.
From within.

shaz

Post by shaz » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:26 pm

Electric Eye, you gotta remember that it wasn't ment to really be any "professional" thing, or anything, made with a pro film crew etc.
It is a stratovarius HOMEvid, comprised mainly of stuff they've filmed themselves, and that's the whole idea. :)
It's true that the target audience is the stratovarius fanbase, though.
The new DVD, when it's finally released, is most probably going to be a real professional release.
"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself."
-Sir Richard Francis Burton

Electric Eye

Post by Electric Eye » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:33 pm

shaz wrote: you gotta remember that it wasn't ment to really be any "professional" thing, or anything, made with a pro film crew etc.
right, but I found it out while watching. It is not mentioned on the sleeve, but that's the marketing :)
From within.

DevenKristopher

Post by DevenKristopher » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:53 pm

I still watch mine on occasion because I love it that much, All the bands antics and such, Ahh good times, Makes me want to make a band again, Maybe I will, Hmmm... Maybe people will by MY dvd... :D
I've been listening to Stratovarius since I was in 6th grade (Im a Junior in highschool) And I have to say, I still love you guys as much if not more than that faithful day my dad showed me your music

Reaper

Post by Reaper » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:10 am

The main problem is that it's way too short :D
And yes, I'd say that the target was the fanbase, I don't think it was intended as a promotional movie for the band.
Like the Phoenix I rise...

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:13 am

Electric Eye wrote:I don't mean I don't like it, I really do. I think it's great thing but for fans only. The problem is, that it didn't fulfill my expectations, I wanted to get familiar with Stratovarius history, but watching those accidental shots is also really cool and great. My only one accusation is that they didn't make it professionally but mixed it from different, accidental stuff from the past, which should be rather a suplement to pofessional movie but not its essence.
That was the whole idea...

Of course we were also gonna make a "proper" concert dvd. And we did, sort of. I mean.... we recorded it. But that release is in some sort of limbo at the moment. It's been cast into purgatory!

The story of "Alzheimer in Milan" (ahem... hopefully we can change the title if it ever gets released) is also fascinating, fascinating mixed with horror in a way, like so many other things in my life this year. :\

Unfortunately I cannot tell the story at the moment...
Jens.

================================
"Koskenkorva is very good."
-Ronald Reagan

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:03 am

Actually, I like Infinite Visions because its NOT professionally made! :D The video shows the guys at their best&worst moments&the funniest--sometimes expected, sometimes not! =P And I liked the song clips very much. My fav was "Infinity" at the last&the videos at the end were terrific!:jump2:
I wished more clips of early days had been included....like, Out of the Shadows! ;) Outstanding! (Tolkki sure was Cute then! :luv1: And that Great Voice!)

I am waiting patiently for the Milan DVD. I think the wait will be worth it--its just a gut feeling(woman's intuition)that I have! ;)
Last edited by browneyedgirl on Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Electric Eye

Post by Electric Eye » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:53 pm

Wow ! :D Jens replied to my post in person ! , so this grumbling was worth of it ;)
JensJohansson wrote: The story of "Alzheimer in Milan" (ahem... hopefully we can change the title if it ever gets released) is also fascinating, fascinating mixed with horror in a way, like so many other things in my life this year. :\

Unfortunately I cannot tell the story at the moment...
but when you said A you have to say B, we're waitinig for video and story connected with it. Take care, man !
browneyedgirl wrote: My fav was "Infinity"
Well, mine too, because it is one of the little few that are not cut.

browneyedgirl wrote: I think the wait will be worth it--its just a gut feeling(woman's intuition)that I have!
Our hope in your intuition, Brownie :)
From within.

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:01 pm

Electric Eye wrote:but when you said A you have to say B, we're waitinig for video and story connected with it. Take care, man !
I didn't say I can never tell it ever. :) But I can't tell it now... I can say as much that it is for legal reasons. Just one problem on top of the other ones! Perfect timing!!! :)

<john cleese mode>
OH THANK YOU GOD, THANK YOU SO BLOODY MUCH!
</john cleese mode>
Jens.

"Koskenkorva is very good."
-Ronald Reagan

Electric Eye

Post by Electric Eye » Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:30 pm

JensJohansson wrote:I didn't say I can never tell it ever. But I can't tell it now... I can say as much that it is for legal reasons. Just one problem on top of the other ones! Perfect timing!!!
All right, all right, we'll wait...
From within.

Fireblade

Post by Fireblade » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:17 pm

Well, I wish all five of you all the best with the stuff you can't tell. *hug!*