Jörg`s drums

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Bryant
Jörg`s drums

Post by Bryant » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:38 am

Hi !
I´m new in the forum. Greetings to everybody.
My first question maybe sounds very strange, but I´m very interested in the equiment all my favorite bands are using. Jörg used TAMA drums on "episode" and "visions", then he switched to Premier. Does anyone know why he did that ?

Figaro1

Re: Jörg`s drums

Post by Figaro1 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:55 am

This is a Guess:

Usually, musicians of Jörg's caliber are endorsed by a company.
I am quite sure that the endorsement with Tama just fell apart
for some reason and Jörg got a better endorsment from Premier.

At least Gas from HIM has an unbelievable endorsement:

He gets his drums from Mapex and cymbals from Paiste
completely free of charge as long as both companies are allowed
to use his name/Face on their advertisements.
I'm going nowhere. All the way to nowhere.

StratoRico

Post by StratoRico » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:58 pm

yeah,for the professional player it goes like that.

The biggest company let them use their instruments for freemin order to have thier name in their roster.
So they can take everything they want without paying it... and this is just amazing! :D

He also uses MEINL cymbals and DW 5'000 pedals,which are the best pedals in terms of quality,but not in terms of convenience,if you're not a pro :D
Make the best out of your dreams.
They're the world where you are free

tkbdadsgshim

Post by tkbdadsgshim » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:31 pm

StratoRico wrote:yeah,for the professional player it goes like that.

The biggest company let them use their instruments for freemin order to have thier name in their roster.
So they can take everything they want without paying it... and this is just amazing! :D

He also uses MEINL cymbals and DW 5'000 pedals,which are the best pedals in terms of quality,but not in terms of convenience,if you're not a pro :D
thta's beautyful amazin' :) :shock: :shock: :D :D
"life can be good with the right people" - andi deris

Bryant

Post by Bryant » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:11 pm

Wow !
Thanks for the reply, I haven`t expected a fst answer to this question.
I asked it, because I think TAMA is the best you can play when youu`re a drummer. I don`t play drums myself, but I listen to so much music I often able to tell what kind of drums I hear, without looking into the booklet. It`s a little bit sad Jörg switched to Premier. It`s good, but TAMA kicks ass.

That guy of HIM, he uses TAMA, too, right ?
You guys like HIM ?
I don`t. I listen to gothic, it`s my favorite music, but I don`t like HIM. The vocalist can`t sing.

Anyway, thanks for replys.

StratoRico

Post by StratoRico » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:43 am

I play drums and i can tell you that,for the commercial marks like TAMA,PREMIER,MAPEX,YAMAHA,DW etc... the drums are the same.

The materials and the thechnique that they use to make them,are just the same.

You can hear some differences between the economic models and the special models (but the difference it's remarcable also in terms of price! :D )

I can tell you that what makes the difference between a drum and another are the leather.
The leather are the one that make sounds better or not a drum,it doesn't depends on the mark they have.

in fact if you look at jorg michael official site,you will see also a list of leather that he uses,and i'm quite sure that he uses them in every drum that he plays,and this makes every drum he plays,equal to the other...

crostrato

Post by crostrato » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:34 pm

StratoRico wrote:I play drums and i can tell you that,for the commercial marks like TAMA,PREMIER,MAPEX,YAMAHA,DW etc... the drums are the same.

The materials and the thechnique that they use to make them,are just the same.

You can hear some differences between the economic models and the special models (but the difference it's remarcable also in terms of price! :D )

I can tell you that what makes the difference between a drum and another are the leather.
The leather are the one that make sounds better or not a drum,it doesn't depends on the mark they have.

in fact if you look at jorg michael official site,you will see also a list of leather that he uses,and i'm quite sure that he uses them in every drum that he plays,and this makes every drum he plays,equal to the other...
I agree with you, I play drums too

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:04 pm

I'm more impressed with the pile of drum sticks he has.

Bryant

Post by Bryant » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:16 pm

Thanks to StratoRico, was very interesting, what you`ve said, especially the thing with the leathers.
Well, as I said, I´m not a drummer, so I would accept it when you say, that this is crap, but I think all these drums aren`t the same. Well, this is this leather-thing, right ?
But I even noticed that Jörg`s drums sounded different on "Destiny". His PREMIER-Set is great, no doubt, but I think on "Episode" and "Visions" it sounded a little better and harder. But maybe it depends on the recording.
Anyway, thanks for the replys and interest on my topic.

DW5000AD3

Post by DW5000AD3 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:37 pm

i will Answer your Question Bryan. (im a drummer)

Drums in General have a Huge variety of Sounding, each type of sound depends on the Leather of the drums, the DrumSticks ( 5A, 5B, 7A, 7B, 8A, etc..), the MICROPHONES, the Drummer Style, Ecualization And the less important is the Mark. all this goes to Cymbals ass well.

TAMA, PREMIER, MAPEX , DW etc.... are very good Marks, they have many years of guaranty, cuality, and Durability.

Drums in Episode and Visions, have a different ecualization than newer albums the concludes to Different Sound. the new ones are much more Trigerred( which i like a lot) (thats another topic to talk!). Also Nowadays Jörg has the Low Volume Cymbals Ecualization which is perfect for Metal.(low hi-hats, los crashes, take a look at the last songs of Strato...Elem P.I - P.II).

Conclusion: A Drum sound Depends 40% on the Microphones they are Using with a certain Ecualization, 30% of the Leathers.20% of the Drummer Style and 10% of other little aspects (the mark is in here).

PD: as a drummer, the sound of jörgs Drumkit is one of my favourites for Metal and Rock. i also Reccord with low Cymbals Ecualization and Powerfull Toms, Bass , Snares.
"Theater Of Salvation"

Bryant

Post by Bryant » Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:22 pm

Thanks to DW5000AD3, your answer was very interesting. What kinds of drums do you play ?

DW5000AD3

Post by DW5000AD3 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:46 am

i play all types of drums, from samba to rock, from punk to metal, form romantic to pop. there is so much to learn from every style, thats why we have to respect all of them, no matter if we dont like those styles.

at the moment im playing with a brutal/death/tecnical metal band called "Inhumed",
we have a demo released, and in a couple of months we will record the album. and in the other hand i have a small rock band just to relax the body and to heard other type of music.

half a year a go i also had a band called "Dark Symphony", we played lots of Stratovarius , rhapsody, helloween covers!.
but sadly the band disolved beacuse of some responsability reasons.

we sounded very good at the concerts in my city playing dawn of victory, paradise, Father time(one of my favourites), paradise, know the difference(the best Elem. P2 song!), eagle fly free, etc.. it was very fun indeed!

well thats all, conclusion: i play almost all types of music, but metal has been one of the most influencing styles in my drumming.
"Theater Of Salvation"

Bryant

Post by Bryant » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:26 pm

to DW5000AD3

Wow, sounds like you could beat the crap out of a drum-kit. But I meant what kinds of drums to you play, like TAMA, DW or so...

Well, I`ve got a band myself. We play Gothic-rock and play self written songs. We`ve already got eight songs, but we have no drummer which really sucks. The keyboarder and me have to programm the drums on his PC, it`s not very easy.
But writing, creating and recording your own music is really great.

DW5000AD3

Post by DW5000AD3 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:46 am

from about half a year ago mi drum kit is the fusion of an "Omega" basic drumkit with a "Pearl" Rock Drumkit. y play with double bass drumming.

i always like to have good pedals. thats why in june y bought a pair of DW5000AD3 pedals (DW accelerator Delta 3 series).
They are really wonderful!, sweet!, soft!, fast!, sensible!, and have a very good architecture! but they have to be trated nicely, so no Beast foots.

i forgot to tell you about Drum Pedals. in Pedals , the Mark is really important!!a good pedal helps the drummer 's perform a lot. every International Drum mark has their Top cuality Pedals, in my case y chosed DW because i think they offer a lot of speed, sensibility and agility. before them i had an Ironcobra Double pedal, which is also very confortable and fast. , and i still have it for the shows, because the most of them have a simple drumkit on the stage so i could not use my DWs.
going to cymbals...mm i have a
meinl ride
Paiste china('16),
pearl(basic) and paiste(302) hi-hats,
paiste 502 crash.

in general cymbal are very expensive when you go hi quality, thats why i dont have the best ones.

im happy to hear that you have a band with your own songs, keep playing and dont give up finding a drummer beacuse in every town there is one ready to join a band, just keep searching.

i could post an image of my drumkit but i dont know how to.
"Theater Of Salvation"

Turbonorsu

Post by Turbonorsu » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:33 pm

DW5000AD3 wrote:from about half a year ago mi drum kit is the fusion of an "Omega" basic drumkit with a "Pearl" Rock Drumkit. y play with double bass drumming.

i always like to have good pedals. thats why in june y bought a pair of DW5000AD3 pedals (DW accelerator Delta 3 series).
They are really wonderful!, sweet!, soft!, fast!, sensible!, and have a very good architecture! but they have to be trated nicely, so no Beast foots.

i forgot to tell you about Drum Pedals. in Pedals , the Mark is really important!!a good pedal helps the drummer 's perform a lot. every International Drum mark has their Top cuality Pedals, in my case y chosed DW because i think they offer a lot of speed, sensibility and agility. before them i had an Ironcobra Double pedal, which is also very confortable and fast. , and i still have it for the shows, because the most of them have a simple drumkit on the stage so i could not use my DWs.
going to cymbals...mm i have a
meinl ride
Paiste china('16),
pearl(basic) and paiste(302) hi-hats,
paiste 502 crash.

in general cymbal are very expensive when you go hi quality, thats why i dont have the best ones.

im happy to hear that you have a band with your own songs, keep playing and dont give up finding a drummer beacuse in every town there is one ready to join a band, just keep searching.

i could post an image of my drumkit but i dont know how to.
Hey, it's nice to see that there's a fellow drummer, who really knows his stuff! How long have you been playing, dude?

I read you've got the DW500AD3s...are they really that great? I mean, I've never tried them before...I wanted to buy a DW kit, but man, it was too expensive! I'm using Iron cobra double pedal, and it's very good, I think.

I'm playing tamas, and I've been very satisfied with them...durable, easy to play, easy to tune...I actually upgraded my set by adding a new, wooden snare drum, and man it rocks! I bought a '13, cause it's sound is very distinctive!

Hey, and what comes to cymbals, I strongly recommend you to try out MEINL cymbals, the same that Jörg are using, since they pack the same punch as Zildjians, but are a lot cheaper. If you can't get yuor hands on those, then Paiste ALpha series are quite ok too, and not that expensive...
Keep on bashing those drums, dude!

DW5000AD3

Post by DW5000AD3 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:23 pm

hi dude, i think you are right. MEINL cymbals are not expensive and really good quality.
i would to buy those MEINL with the dark circle on the center, i have heard them and they sound really good . i not sure but i think jörg uses them on the EAGLEHEART video. or at least they are similar.

aswering you question:

i have been playing drums for 2 and a half years , and i found that this is my passion in life! :D :D
"Theater Of Salvation"

StratoRico

Post by StratoRico » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:39 pm

You said the right things about pedals,DW.

At the moment i'm playng with a single bass drum,and with a double pedal,from mapex.
it's 3 years that i use this pedal,so i'm used to it,but now i was looking to buy a different double pedal,because the mapex is for beginners,but the professionist players uses,DW pedals (which are the best in terms of quality) or the IRON COBRA.

Now,mapex has made a new pedal,which is called JANUS,and it will compete against DW pedals and IRON COBRA,but the first types of pedals,mapex made was not for professionist drummers,in fact the quality is, good,but has not the levels of DW or IRON COBRA.

and for the cymbals,i have never used MEINL,but my favourites are SABIAN and ZILDJIAN.

Actually i'm playing with 2 Zildjian crashes and one crash from sabian
a paiste china,HI HAT and RIDE from sabian,and two splash from zildjian.

This set is actually good for all genres,but the crashes are made principally for rock,so i was thinking about taking other two crashes,of low measures,for a METAL SET.

I have a power metal group and we're recording our demo,so we're looking for a contract :D (and also for some luck)

Bryant

Post by Bryant » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:44 pm

Hi !
Again me with my "no experience" with drums, but I red your discussion about cymbals and I thought I "share" my "no experience-oppinion" with you. Well, I think - from all the music I´ve heard - that MEINL are the best cymbals you can play. They sound great in all Strato-songs or check out the band Masterplan. They`ve got Ulli Kusch, I think he was with Halloween, and he plays TAMA and MEINL. Sounds great. I also like Paiste, but I don`t like the sound of Zildjian. When a drummer hits them you almost can`t hear anything. They sound bad.
But again, the oppinion of a non-drummer :wink:

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:47 pm

I also play drums, I've played them for sth like 10 years now but Its only 2 years and sth since I REALLY began playing (i.e playin some more complicated stuff than AC/DC or stuff like that). I play Tama drums and I have a Premier double-pedal (don't remember the model) for other hardware I still have the Pearl-stuu from my firs drumkit and mostly Tama. For cymbals I also play on Sabian and Zildjian. I have three Zidjian crashes (two 16" and one 14"), Sabian HH (13") and a Sabian ride (22"). Quite a good set also, I plan buying some splashes for X-mas.

Turbonorsu

Post by Turbonorsu » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:12 pm

All right DW! That's a good start, passion is the number one thing you need when you practice drums...number two is, at least in my case, is patience :)

I've been playing for eleven years now and done a number of gigs and records, and so far my favourite pedal has without doubt been the Iron Cobra...but maybe I should check out the DW one, I think.

Stratorico:Try Meinl, if you can, they're quite good, and have got some very cool things in their custom cymbal shop-series! I used to play ZIldjians, but they're so damn expensive!
AT the moment I'm playing a mixture of Paiste ('13 alpha hi-hats, '14 alpha crystal crash, '12 alpha splash and '12 sound formula flanger disk), Turkish ('14 paper thin crash) and Meinl ('16 crash and '20 ride)

Bryant: The sound depends so much on the size of the cymbal and the mixing, that it's kinda misleading to judge cymbals by that principle. To be honest, I personally think, that Zildjian makes the best (although somehow stereotypical sounding) cymbals in the world. THey also have a class of cymbals, that fit especially well for heavy metal, namely the Z custom class...

The only truly bad thing is their price...:(

Keep on bashing, my fellow bashers!

DW5000AD3

Post by DW5000AD3 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:54 am

thanks for your information pals. :o

i think it is time to talk about Triggers, Drum Triggers .

i have never used one, never seen one in life (just webpages :cry: ) and they are the key for metal i think.

but is it really worth the price?? , can we make similar ecualizatons with normal microphones.
i would like to hear your opinions.
"Theater Of Salvation"

Turbonorsu

Post by Turbonorsu » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:16 am

Well...
IMHO triggers are quite useful, if you are doing a lot of gigging and a lot of recording...I mean, if you are gigging in small venues with not-perfect mixing and if your drums are not well-tuned or do not sound the way you'd want them to sound, then trigging is ok...

I've only used triggers once (when we had a big gig in a big venue...for us, I mean:) ) ...and I loved 'em then, but considering that they are somehow on the expensive side of things, I've never bought them myself as I think that at this point I rather spend my money on better drums, hardware and cymbals. They are the cornerstone of good sound anyway.

I also think, that when used too extensively, triggers tend to kill the "natural" sound of drums and in that way to "sterilize" them a bit...so IMHO they fit perfectly in, for instance Industrial metal, or trash or speed, but, if you, for example are a bit more into blues/rock influenced playing(think of deep purple or masterplan, althought they might use triggering too), then triggers might be a bad idea...on the other hand, if you are a bad tuner, then triggers might help some...

You see, I really haven't made my mind about them yet :) They are a good, if rather expensive addition, but before I'm going to buy them, I'm going to buy a really good drumset and cymbals and then think again if I really need them...

But of course just my opinion!

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:53 pm

Turbonorsu wrote:All right DW! That's a good start, passion is the number one thing you need when you practice drums...number two is, at least in my case, is patience :)
Nah, number one is Money :D

Turbonorsu

Post by Turbonorsu » Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:53 pm

Nah, number one is Money :D[/quote]

Oh yeah, that's right...forgot it totally...Maybe because I have so much :)

DW5000AD3

Post by DW5000AD3 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:29 pm

yes....very interesting opinion Turbonorsu. :D

if i had more money, i would buy a pair of Bass Drum triggers. in my recordings, the bass drum doesn´t sound really good, only a few times i have achieved they metal plastic sound when recording metal.

when recording rock/jazz/blues , its not that nessesary as with metal. beacuse its more focused in elements as the snare-cymbals combination which requires a lot of tecnique if you want to perform as good as the jazz drummer

PD:i think Jörg should post here to tell his point of view as an experienced DRUMMER , musician, and he has tested so many drums . it would be nice to read his post of Drums!
"Theater Of Salvation"

Bryant

Post by Bryant » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:40 pm

Hey, you guys were talking about triggers ? What do you mean by that ? I´m german, all I can connect to trigger is the trigger of a gun.