Info about new Strato-album!

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
BlackPhoenix
Re: Info about new Strato-album!

Post by BlackPhoenix » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:03 pm

Thanks, lapazeus! great to hear this!

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:06 pm

cliff wrote:Thanks Lapazeus, you did a really great translation job there !

But still, I think speechs are useless. Let's just wait and hear the material and judge by ourselves :wink:

one last thing :
:shock:

Looks like an Uncle !!! :P
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:54 pm

What happened to that Hitler song? Did it get dropped?
What do you call a German virgin?
Guttenteit.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:56 pm

Paulo wrote:What happened to that Hitler song? Did it get dropped?
Nope, seems it only got its title changed.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:57 pm

Uh huh. Next question: what did it get changed to?
What do you call a German virgin?
Guttenteit.

Sir. Decadence

Post by Sir. Decadence » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:11 pm

Paulo wrote:Uh huh. Next question: what did it get changed to?
Götterdämmerung (Zenith Of Power)
Nice name, I think.
And great news! 8)

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:12 pm

Paulo wrote:Uh huh. Next question: what did it get changed to?
Just read the first post in this thread, it countais everything you need to know :D

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:21 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote:Am I the only one who is happy about the non-double-bass ? Damn, that made me just sooo excitd about the album... Still no official relaese date ?
25.8.05 (8/25/05)

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:28 pm

Stratofanius wrote:
MaFiaBoY wrote:Am I the only one who is happy about the non-double-bass ? Damn, that made me just sooo excitd about the album... Still no official relaese date ?
25.8.05 (8/25/05)
Seems I didn't read the post carefully enough myself :D

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:35 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote:
Stratofanius wrote:
25.8.05 (8/25/05)
Seems I didn't read the post carefully enough myself :D
Yes you did read it carefully, but that date is in other site, imperiumi.fi (or net, i can't remember it right now). In that site, there are many spoilers for the album... but in finnish.

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:31 pm

(1692+15)
Stratofanius wrote:Yes you did read it carefully, but that date is in other site, imperiumi.fi (or net, i can't remember it right now). In that site, there are many spoilers for the album... but in finnish.
OMGZ! Translation needed!
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

The Enigma

Post by The Enigma » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:44 pm

Since this may be something of common interest, here you are guys:

Original pre-review at Imperiumi.net by Mape Ollila (in Finnish)

STRATOVARIUS

Last September while I was at BB King's-club in New York with Nightwish, I met Jens Johansson, who gave me an alert, that there will be more to hard rock leaning Stratovarius. Now it's been heard, and to some degree I must agree.

Imperiumi will be the first metal media in the world bringing a report from the pre-listening session of Stratovarius's new Album.

International metal press with representants from Germany, Italy, Greece, Sweden, Norway and accompanied by a few more from Finland, got the album to listen once through at Finnvox-studios. In the following, I'd like to serve my thoughts on the album track by track. I will leave it for the reader to notice, that evaluation of the songs is based on one-time listen to the album, hence my observations are not necessarily comparable with the usual objective Imperiumi reviews based on several repeated listens. Also the awesome circumstances at Finnvox-studios with acoustic elemets and top class active speakers must be considered, because only your home stereo will reveal the truth about it, how crunching the ultra-heavy riffs on the record will turn out.

Was the album titled PopKiller or, as I heard from one collega only this morning, ShotMaker?

The answer was neither of those given, but the new album is titled

Stratovarius.

CD will be out on August 25th including tracks:

1. Maniac Dance
2. Fight!!
3. Just Carry On
4. Back to Madness
5. Gypsy in Me
6. Götterdämmerung (Zenith of Power)
7. The Land of Ice and Snow
8. Leave the Tribe
9. United

After the band's manager Antje Lange telling us how the record was born amidst bad personal turnabouts, the album opens with Maniac Dance's twisted humour, which is like out of videogame-pop band Desert Planet's track. Longish, monotone 80's style lo-fi tv-game diddling ”tittidi tittidi” plays alone, until riff turns into crushing heavy guitars and the piece forms into 4/4-paced middle tempo heavy metal, with a character somewhere between Metallica's Black Album and Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell. Kotipelto's siging goes all the way inside the man's natural scale, and his performance is strong. The song isn't especially catchy, but it has got power. Missing are the booming double-kicks and lightning-fast solos. Maniac Dance will be the first single of this album.

Next song Fight!! can be recognized as Stratovarius, even when the style remains quite different from what Strato is known for. The heavy line continues, and even if Tolkkis solo sounds "tolkkish", it definitely isn't diddling. Again, the track is more like "heavy" than catchy.

Just Carry On continues the crunching, and there won't be drifting out from the heavy mid-tempo, yet. Exaggeration is followed by a clear theme, airy by it's space-effect which then bends into a catchy, melodic chorus not to be mistaken by even those less familiar with Stratovarius. No fiddling in the solo and this song is the first on the album, where Kotipelto has to sing really high. The song ends with a special, hollow echoing synth outro.

Fourth track Back to Madness shifts into another gear. The track is an Elements pt1-like heavy, progressive and epic. Starting with sorrowful piano/cello duet only now Kotipelto's high singing is given the full role. Melancholy acoustic guitar leads the song forward, and in the middle there is a special bridge, sung by Kotipelto's friend, opera singer Petri Bäckström. Singing is accompanied by a plain piano and this track will for sure need more than one listen to get into it. Epic singing accompanied by guitars turns heavier to bear than madness itself and grows into choruses and banging of drums reminding roaring cannonblasts. After the last chorus the track wanishes into emptyness while blabbering human voices replace the music. Crazyness takes it's share and human voices turn into disturbing noise, in which no individual sounds are recognizeable. Without a halt the track moves on into deep male voice, questioning if death will be the only salvation from life. Dramatic, desperate piano accompanying speech on a human to be born to die and to die to only being reborn again. The circle closes and male voice turns into a baby blabbering, the voice of Imperiumi's own Starbuck changes into the language of JÖrg Michael's child, understood only by the innocent.

A child giggles. Begins the melodic riff of Gypsy in Me with it's twisted drums, running in odd timing, then turning into normal heavy metal back-kick beat and the track starts up a middle tempo melodic song slightly reminding Cold Winter Nights.

Götterdämmerung (Zenith of Power) with all it's pompousness could easily fit into Elements pt1. This is the track which caused a storm in a glass because of it's Hitler-theme. After all fuss the lyrics were not even changed, and the criticized clip of Hitler's speech was not removed, but mixed so deep in the background, that finding it will depend on the listeners and the quality of their stereo. Mammoth-heavy and substantial, the track runs in 4/4-rhythm and sounds to my ears similar to and somewhat clumsy and pompous as Babylon, which never has been one of my Strato-favourites. Again the track ends with a slightly strange keyboard outro.

The Land of Ice and Snow is like Forever by character, but where Forever is a praise to fans, evenly fragile made The Land of Ice and Snow is merely a folkish song of appreciation to Finnish national characterstics, Koskenkorva, frost and to people who despite of their murkyness have a golden heart. The song begins with Kotipelto's a capella singing, with every breath intake audible. This solo singing kind of brings to mind the song Destiny and it's Suomi-sclagerish middle part. Obviously the part telling about Koskenkorva has been purposedly mixed in the front, so nobody will miss the joke when they hear the word. The singing raises towards the end into stormy march, then falling back to the tenderly fragile main theme ending within frosty howling wind.

Leave the Tribe begins with enormous chorus and a single note bass pattern. THUNK. THUNK. THUNK. THUNK. The sound, size of a brownstone building, reminds me again of Elements. The melodic chorus is catchy, bringing far reminders from some songlines of a Yngwie Malmsteen song, the name of which I'm unable to recall. The song overall is slow and depressing by it's athmospere. Pressure created by this heavy piece is broken only by the hopeliftng chorus, which will stick in your head. Tolkki plays one very atypical ripping solo, which ends with rocking the whammy bar in a way I haven't heard since the debut record of Tarot with Zachary Hietala's shaking electric vibrations.

United, closing the album starts with thick sounding drums TATATATA – TATATATA – TATATATA – TATATAT -rotations then turning into 3/4 paced Tat-TATA, Tat-TATA. Before finished wondering the exaggeratrd drums, you will be smacked with the easily most awesome part of the album, a totally brilliant chorus, the only highlight on the record to pass the "body-hair test". I have an unmistaking indicator for good music on my arms, and now Strato hits the bull's eye and brings on cold shivers. An awesome song melody, which is brilliantly variated in good proportions by the perfectly singing Kotipelto, will raise the track into heights while the orchestrated backgrounds keep building up. Except the missing double-kicks we are on the very same line with any other of the most pompous epics ever before made by Stratovarius. Something new, something old; the good old Strato heeling the world again. The catchy and gripping theme builds up into enourmous spheres, until enters a cheesy horn sound from the keys, more typical to German Freedom Call, which despite being big and pompous, shoots the high flying epic down with it's corniness. Those horns keep brawling till the end, but the bombastic song has made it's remarks already. Strato has definitely made a strong comeback.

The 11th album on Stratovarius's career has been titled according to the band, and it is a new beginning for a band that has gone through quite a turbulence, both inside and outside. During the windy times the manager of the band has changed, the leader of the band has been seriously ill and the band has been split once. Timo Tolkki's psychic difficulties reflect in the lyrics on this album. But now TT, who has remarkably recovered during the last few months, dares to laugh at himself in the spirit of Back to Madness and Maniac Dance.

While the songs on this record are made about two years ago, after the Elements albums, they are in most parts very different material from both of the predecessros. The album lacks several Stratovarius-brands, as the thumping sound of Jörg Michae's double-kicks, Tolkki's über-fast solos and if not counting a couple of songs, also Timo Kotipelto's ultra-high vocals.

By binning Helloween- and Yngwie-alike elements, replacements are those that Strato has posessed before, but they have been given a stronger role; crushing heavy riffs and melodies leaning on traditional heavy metal. Tolkki's solos are more Blackmore-spirited, and in them he is looking more to play on the terms of melodies than posing with the speed. In addition he has got more depth and feeling in the solos.

One can find characteristics from Strato's older material and in the most epic parts also from Elements. Jens Johansson delivers only one fast solo if I remember right, and the keys have a minor role, more like sound effects, especially on the smashing tracks in the beginning of the album. But anyhow, those tracks leaning on heavy, rough guitar riffing would be much pooreer by sound without the keyboard playing in the background in a side role, but Johansson has his solo moments only durng those wierd, twisted sounding outros.

While those elements that irritate some people have been taken off from the Stratovarius-sound, part of the result could be called 'safe'. According to Kotipelto changes are results from the fact, that on Elements-albums the progressive and epical limits had been reached, and there wasn't any room to think blowing it anywhere further. Renewing the sound only by means of simplifying was the only way to go. Everything else had already been done before.

If the song material on the new album isn't of Strato's strongest A-class, considering the circumstances it remains a strong work from a band in the middle of renewing process. Produced by Timo Tolkki, the album consists of top produced, melodic pieces of heavy metal. The album 'Stratovarius' has been built the way, that tracks in the beginning are the furthest from the known Stratovarius-sound and when progressing towards the end, the familiarity in the material will become obvious to older fans. There are also some surprisingly humorous spots on this record which after all the fuss are somewhat unexpected.

Faces of bandmembers are shining from relief. While thinking about the year passed, Tolkki still finds it hard to believe, that the record has been finished. The biggest thanks for getting it started belong to drummer Jörg Michael and his German discipline. If Jörg hadn't come to Helsinki alone to record the drum tracks, this record might have stayed undone. When a studio had been booked one had to get there even if nobody else showed up. Jörg picked the drum parts from old raw demos and recorded everything he could. At that time, orignally reserved for Miss K sessions in mind, Stratovarius practically had ceased to exist. Then why he made his efforts in the studio? Part of the long-winded explanation, which the rest of the band starts calling 'The German Monologue' goes like this:

- Was there anything else I could have done? There wasn't. Nobody knew what was happening, and to speak the truth, I myself felt alone and lost when I was in Helsinki. I didn't know the songs well and called Jens, who then came to accompany me at the studio, but he knew the songs even less than I did, and hence he more or less only stirred me up while we were in the studio.

What Jens said last fall, confirms what Jörg says now. Jens told me that all his time and energy during the last few months (June-August 2004) was spend on sorting out the situation in Stratovarius, because Tolkki had it enough to work things out with himself.

After the listening session a few foreign jounalists try to ask, what was it all about that happened last year, but the band tells them to wait until June, when they will make a large promo tour for the upcoming album release, and reveal all storms and turbulences back to the roots. At the time Imperiumi will be present there, too.

Even thoug we have got some surface-scratcing answers, a lot of questions remain uncleared. What really happened, and how much of it was to blame on who? Are relations between the members all cleared now? Is a TV-insert used for a song by Sargofagus coming as the new live intro for Strato, and what the hell it has to do with anything? How will recovering Tolkki, who has quit alcohol, stand under the pressure during the planned six week tour in the USA on the boring days on a coach? Even when the signs of hope are visible, a large portion of the future of Stratovarius will still remain on the edge.

After the listening session we are about to wait for a dinner at Lappi restaurant. Stratovarius goes to Kaapelitehdas for a photograph session, where I also point myself to kill some time. While the rest of the band is still at make-up, us outsiders are allowed to take photos of Jörg doing his part of the session, and here are a couple of those for you to enjoy.

See the pics at the Imperiumi site HERE
- *** Translation by TheEnigma ***-
The 1st rock thrown again
Welcome to hell, little Saint
Mother Gaia in slaughter
Welcome to paradise, Soldier

Electric Eye

Post by Electric Eye » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:20 pm

Equinox wrote:
Electric Eye wrote:right, I think that some kind of refreshement of style is always very welcome, specially among bands who proved with few previous albums their position and style.
Notice, that they say about two parts of album, first one is 'light' and more hit-oriented, the second one is like typical Stratovarius. Maybe they want to address it to wider group of people, not only metal fans, get new audience and become more popular.
I don't agree with u 100% 'cuz........they sing the "best" power metal out there, and they know how to do their things, plus, all of us got to know them in that genre, what about now, if u don't like the new sound will that be great? do u think that after being ur fav band for years and after a album they're not good is cool?
I don't think that they could record anything that I wouldn't like. Stratovarius is one of the few bands for me that I trust boundlessly. Timo composed so much music as far that I'm sure that I can always relay on his works and he never disappoint me. I'll buy whatever they record and I know I like it.
Equinox wrote: In the other hand, I personally have no problem at all with their soo called new style, because they have always been changing and improving from Fright Night to Elements Part II, so the only feeling in me right now is longing.
agree with that completly
Equinox wrote:So, u want them to be pop-ular? u know how many ppl dislike Infinite and Intermission because there are to many hit-songs? again, I don't mind these things, 'cuz I like Stratovarius as they were before and I know I will like the new things as well. In fact I don't really know why am I saying these stuff, 'cuz u have a different point of veiw and it is not my business to try to change it...but anyway.... :) :wink:
well, I don't care if someone is popular or not, I'm not the fan of non-popular groups, but I'm a fan of music I like. I don't understand people who like band as long as they are not well known, and when they start to sell more records, appears on TV they say 'they went commercial, they make money, it's a piece of sh#$..., they are not true, etc.' That's ridcolous, it looks like they shape their taste not on his/her own will or chice, but on what other say.
but I prefer they would more popular, because I could see them on TV or hear on the radio, and they could play more gigs.

Enigma, thank you very much for translation!
So where does the power come from to see the race to its end?
From within.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:44 pm

The biggest thanks for getting it started belong to drummer Jörg Michael and his German discipline. If Jörg hadn't come to Helsinki alone to record the drum tracks, this record might have stayed undone.
So we should all thank Jörg for this :D Thanks man, you rock hard \m/

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:48 pm

Thanks a lot for the great job, great translation The Enigma.

Interesting to know new things here :)
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:09 pm

Thanks very much The Enigma, and thanks Jorg for beig so brave!

But anyway, those fotos are like of brave-heart movie, what's the big deal with that?

Anyway, ElectricEye, I am with you in your last post. :wink:

GO STRATOVARIUS! 8)
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

cliff

Post by cliff » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:16 pm

Actually, we have to thank both Jörg and Jens.
Trust me, they both did A LOT to make this reunion happen. Not only with the recording process, but also talking with the other musicians -especially with Tolkki, and with the guys of the music company.
Thanks men ! 8)

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:31 pm

Cliff, you're absolutely right!

Thanks guys for All! :)
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:40 pm

Jens is the God, we all know that.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:49 pm

Equinox wrote:Jens is the God, we all know that.
Yeah but now we see Jörg is too :D That's a big theological problem, could there be more than one ?

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:33 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote:
Equinox wrote:Jens is the God, we all know that.
Yeah but now we see Jörg is too :D That's a big theological problem, could there be more than one ?
Well, don't ask me, ask the theological master of this forum. :D :) 8)

Libanez

Post by Libanez » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:07 am

no double bass, no speed?... :(
O_O The boy who wanted tobe a real puppet O_O

Tetsuo

Post by Tetsuo » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:15 am

So...leaning towards straight heavy metal...mmm...interesting. Even though I'm a huge fan of the power metal days, I'm really excited to hear this. At least it ain't trash *vomiting on the floor* or pop rock. Tolkki is a genius, I can't see how he could fuck music up. Everything he wrote to date is awsome and with this perfect band that Stratovarius is, not a single note can suck.

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:06 am

After reading that article of the link I must say that the new album seems to be something unforseen. :D I enjoyed Jens's solos in the previous albums and it's a pity if there isn't any. :( Hail to Jörg and Jens! :twisted:
The oldest radio rock station Radio City quit 12-8-2006 :(

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:40 am

Tetsuo wrote:Tolkki is a genius, I can't see how he could fuck music up. Everything he wrote to date is awsome.
This is right.
Take his album "Hymn To Life", for example. He did a really great job there. I don't know many metal musicians who can compose such cool album, mixing different styles (from rock to blues), and also who can write lyrics which means "something" (something else than Dragons&Swords or"Heavy_Meta_ _is_ in_ my_ Blood themes :D)

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:22 pm

Tetsuo wrote:Tolkki is a genius, I can't see how he could fuck music up. Everything he wrote to date is awsome.
Full Moon ? :D

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:48 pm

I haven't heard that one... You seem to find it a strange track.. :?
The oldest radio rock station Radio City quit 12-8-2006 :(

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:11 pm

Wanderer wrote:I haven't heard that one... You seem to find it a strange track.. :?
It's horrible... I wonder if there is a single person on this planet who likes it. But others are strange AND good like 030366, this one is one of the highlight of 4th D album IMO

StratoBOB

Post by StratoBOB » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:11 pm

10x The Enigma , nice translation

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:19 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote: But others are strange AND good like 030366, this one is one of the highlight of 4th D album IMO
I agree, I like 030366, but things like Thin Ice are craps... I'd like to know why did Tolkki compose it... a moment of madness or angry, maybe...?