possible trojan with mp3 vector

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
User avatar
luriah
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:44 am
Location: Bydgoszcz

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by luriah » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:40 pm

"There is only one, per 100% effective manner, to evade infection of computer-viruses. Do not buy a computer."

from Murphy's Laws :D

User avatar
MetalAngel
Sr. Member
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by MetalAngel » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:17 pm

As Iron Maiden told once :

"There's an evil virus that threatening computers,..., And every time you think you're safe
And when you go to turn away
You know they're sharpening all their paper knives

All in your mind
All in your head
Try to relate it

All in your mind
All in your head
Try to escape it
"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

User avatar
brought2ubyletterC
Sr. Member
Posts: 4819
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:15 am
Location: A Pacific Ocean Soul (California, United States)
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:58 am

I totally agree with Latuman. In my personal experience, everyone I know who downloads (including myself) has actually bought *more* CDs because of downloading than they did before! For me, downloading is a great way to find many bands that I would NEVER have found if I left it up to the American music business to do it for me. :roll: I think it's f*cked up that the small percentage of those who download and never buy has ruined it for the rest of us. In all honesty, the majority of things I download are either bonus tracks or rarities that are not on any official releases and can't really be found anywhere, and occasionally albums that are out-of-print and can't be found anymore. Why should a music fan who wants to be reunited with an album that is no longer available for sale be made to feel ashamed because they downloaded it instead, because it was the only way they could have it?

For the record, I actually discovered Strato through satellite radio, and it took me over two years to find any of their CDs. If I had known then how to download music, you're damn right I would have downloaded those albums during that time. But I also would have put down the $100+ that I did the glorious day when I actually found nearly every one of their CDs in the store. Downloading does not make a damn difference to me about buying a band's music. If I love the band's music, I'm gonna support them, even if I could get every album online virus-free, risk-free. Let's say I do have a copy of the new Strato album. I'm still gonna buy a "real" copy on September 5th. The only thing downloading does for me is determine whether a certain band is worth spending my time on. There are many bands I've discovered by way of recommendation, on this board and many others. Downloading, for me, is a deciding factor as to which bands I should give more attention to and which ones are not for me. Paying nearly $20 for a CD of a band I may not like is ridiculous to me.

Anyway, I think it sucks that a couple of assh*les who want to play games ruin it for everyone else and go out there with their viruses. No one deserves to get a virus, no matter what your take is on downloading. I would not say that to anyone here who got the same virus by looking at porn, even though I feel the same way about porn as some of you do here about MP3s.

User avatar
STRATOPHILIUS
Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:47 am

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by STRATOPHILIUS » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:06 am

Im right with you C...I discovered all my favorite bands by downloading a couple of songs first ....if I like them I go out and buy all the cd's if they sound like crap... then to hell with them I delete their crappy music off my computer before it starts to infect all my good music :lol: :lol: :lol: ...but seriously bands like Metallica dont understand that its not becuase people were downloading their music that they lost sales..its becuase theyv'e made really crappy music lately....although I have stopped downloading now because of all the trolls out there who hide viruses in files its just not worth it....and besides record companies are the ones who make out like bandits with cd sales bands get most of there money through conerts and the like

Ikola
Member
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:13 am
Location: Sweden, Skåne

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Ikola » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:29 pm

Or you could just put out a few promo-mp3's on your webbsite and then let the fans manke their own opinion. maybe one minute each so ypu can get an opinion.

I have found the most of the music i listen to have i heard for the first time via either normal radio, webb-radio, promo-cd's (often you only get these if you subscrine to the magazine) and via my friends.

I've bought some albums that were crap, but the most I've been pretty satisified with. Buying 3cd's for 99sek (about 13$) is a pretty good way to discover some new music. Otherwise i don't think that 150sek s that much to pay fo a fresh album.

And no, I don't think that downloading an entire album illegaly just cause you want to listen to it is defendable in a court of law. By the 1 July downloading unauthorized materials are forbidden here in Sweden. I don't know how it works in other countries.

The main thing that i react upon is that the ARTISTS are loosing money because of the downloading. Even though you may think it's a bad album the artist still put their souls in it. That you cannot deny and when the salesnumbers are too low the artist sooner or larter will be pushed off the market by some new popstars that can't write music and cannot even sing/play properly.

So Mr Lautman and you others, what do you want to hear in the future, Stratovarius or a copy of the hiphop artist 50cent?

Latuman
Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:14 pm
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Latuman » Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:56 pm

Ikola wrote:Or you could just put out a few promo-mp3's on your webbsite and then let the fans manke their own opinion. maybe one minute each so ypu can get an opinion.
Yeah, we are all different, some more sceptical, some a little less.

I've bought some albums that were crap, but the most I've been pretty satisified with. Buying 3cd's for 99sek (about 13$) is a pretty good way to discover some new music. Otherwise i don't think that 150sek s that much to pay fo a fresh album.
Here in Finland people rejoice and celebrate and almost sanctify an international celebration day if one proper band's album is found for under 10e ( 13$ I guess). That really does not happen. I always visit Airon Musiikki here and only one CD cost 10e, I bought it, that was really cheap. CD was Celesty's Reign Of Elements. It wasn't THAT good, probably not worth 10e, but I aint too disgruntled about it...

But mostly prices are always that 20e. Thats really too much (26$). Still, for people who dont use P2P networks these samples are a good way to listen to the band first. Getting the whole albums is exactly the same. I make the same decision wether I purchase the album or not, but clearly I get a better picture with the whole album, and avoid nasty surprises. Why take the more uncertain way with samples? Not smart to me.

And no, I don't think that downloading an entire album illegaly just cause you want to listen to it is defendable in a court of law. By the 1 July downloading unauthorized materials are forbidden here in Sweden. I don't know how it works in other countries.
I think it is not illegal yet in Finland, and even if it was, it really does not matter to me. I know I'm more right than the law books. I know better. I really like to spend money on music but I cannot if I cant preview the albums first. I'd miss tons of good music, its terrible!

The main thing that i react upon is that the ARTISTS are loosing money because of the downloading. Even though you may think it's a bad album the artist still put their souls in it. That you cannot deny and when the salesnumbers are too low the artist sooner or larter will be pushed off the market by some new popstars that can't write music and cannot even sing/play properly.

So Mr Lautman and you others, what do you want to hear in the future, Stratovarius or a copy of the hiphop artist 50cent?
Facts right. CD sales are UP in the united states, not down. I believe this is the case in finland too. The only reason why sales COULD be down, is because people dont make stupid purchases any more. Record companies FEED off of peoples stupidity. If everyone makes a smart purchase, they lose sales. Of course. You think people should make wrong purchases? People should buy CD's they dont like?

Do not generalize downloaders to people who do not buy music. That is wrong.

Explain to me how downloading music is off of artists pockets? I cannot think of any reason when I talk about people like me. I buy more music through downloading. Without downloading, I buy much less music. Is there any part you dont understand?

When I hate David Hasselhoff's album, still Mr. Hasselhoff has put his soul into it. I guess almost all artists put their souls to their albums, but do I have to buy every album in the world? I dont wanna, I want those I like, nothing wrong with that.

User avatar
MaFiaBoY
Sr. Member
Posts: 3144
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: Brest, France
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by MaFiaBoY » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:03 pm

Latuman wrote:People should buy CD's they dont like?
I often buy CDs knowing nothing about it except the name (someone told me this band was good, I'll check it out) or just because the album cover looks nice. I don't pay those CDs 20€ too, rather 7-9€ but I'm very rarely disappointed, and it makes me discover some bends I wouldn't hawe even known about, so I wouldn't have downloaded them either.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

User avatar
Beast_Pete
Sr. Member
Posts: 6489
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Beast_Pete » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:17 pm

Just an example: if my best friend had not downloaded Stratovarius - Destiny, I wouldn't be spamming on this forum, and I wouldn't have bought nearly all the albums of this metal band. So, is it bad, that downloading exist?
It's bad for the pop musicians, because now everyone can listen to nonpopular music as well, and it might happen, that less people will buy pop CDs, and they will spend their money to nonpopular ones.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

User avatar
MaFiaBoY
Sr. Member
Posts: 3144
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: Brest, France
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by MaFiaBoY » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:22 pm

Beast_Pete wrote:It's bad for the pop musicians, because now everyone can listen to nonpopular music as well, and it might happen, that less people will buy pop CDs, and they will spend their money to nonpopular ones.
I'd rather say that's because pop fans are so dumb they imagine downloaded mp3s are the same as the actual CD. I hope metalheads are smarter :D
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

Burning Reflection
Sr. Member
Posts: 580
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Burning Reflection » Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:44 pm

^ I agree with your opinions guys! That's why the whole thing with Metallica pissed me off. I'm sure they didn't make enough of that shitty DVD, that crappy album with the orchestra playing the exact same notes as the guitars, and all their other crap they put out, and then they go on national television to condemning downloading!!!???? :x They are so one-sided and all about the $$$ that they don't even see the benifits of downloading.

HellDunkel
Jr. Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:46 pm
Location: Bogota, Colombia

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by HellDunkel » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:26 pm

:twisted: Still, people never seems to learn and they'll think that this is not going to happen to them again... well what the hell, this is the internet, so what do you expect? :twisted:
As light and darkness join together, you and I get closer... finally life and death embrace while eternity awaits for us.

User avatar
Beast_Pete
Sr. Member
Posts: 6489
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Beast_Pete » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:45 pm

LOL, yes... Welcome to the Internet! :lol:
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

User avatar
Aresius
Sr. Member
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:09 am
Location: In my dreamspace

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Aresius » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:26 pm

people

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT........... all the people that are saying that we shoudnt download music or we should buy this and that are from europe or ee.uu... cds COST MONEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY and hopfully i can buy 3 cds a month ( and that means not buying other stuff )... stratovarius is not he only band that i like so i buy different cds and i would only know 4 bands if i didnt download music, i woudnt know half of strato songs and probably i would not know a little band called STRATOVARIUS.....

I respect bands, im studing to be a musician myself and i have a lot of friends that are profecional musicians here in argentina and when I ask them " What about your music" they say that i shoud download some songs because they know that buying cds is an effort that you cant do with every band and every album.....
Image

User avatar
Stratovarious
Sr. Member
Posts: 4267
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:56 pm
Location: Temuco, Chile, South America
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Stratovarious » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:05 am

hahahahahah what the fuck I'm LOL hahah
..the sweetest emptiness of love...

Missing_Link
Jr. Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:35 pm

well...

Post by Missing_Link » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:20 am

yea he has a point you guys...

It's really hard to hear about good bands, or even bad bands unless we go downloading on the internet. I live in a small town, and i'd bet that if it wasn't for my brother downloading some strat songs, no one else in town would have heard of them.

a looong time ago i heard some strat songs my brother had. a few years later i thought... hmm what was that band? i looked it up and downloaded a bunch of their songs. not long after (probably 3 years ago) i took some to school on my mp3 player. I let a few friends listen to them. one of them became sooo in love with Coming Home that he just HAD to download more.

Stratovarius is now his favorite band, and we are best friends almost JUST because of strat. If it weren't for pirating music off of the internet, we probably wouldnt be as good of friends as we are now. And we never would have bought a few cds and wouldnt be going to the Stratovarius concert in Cleveland in Sept.

If my brother didnt download those few songs so many years ago... would we have bought cds and purchased tickets for a strat concert? the answer is no, because we never would have known they had existed.

This is Link, signing off...

Nightmare1z
Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:19 pm

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Nightmare1z » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:13 am

I disagree on the comment though that the majority of people who download buy CD's. I know hardly anyone that does buy CD's anymore *I'm 20 - in college*.

One guy has 8000+ MP3's and he doesn't care. Our college network is bogged down by people just staying on P2P software and downloading. Seems like all my friends just have Kazaa, WinMX, or something open downloading songs.

I was once in Best Buy looking for a CD. Two guys walked by talking to each other. One said "Don't buy that CD man, just download it online".

We're in the minority here that actually will buy CD's. In the age group I'm in, most people download - while very few actually end up buying lots of CD's.

User avatar
Twilight Legionnaire
Sr. Member
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:44 pm
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Twilight Legionnaire » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:05 pm

Nightmare1z wrote:I disagree on the comment though that the majority of people who download buy CD's. I know hardly anyone that does buy CD's anymore *I'm 20 - in college*.

One guy has 8000+ MP3's and he doesn't care. Our college network is bogged down by people just staying on P2P software and downloading. Seems like all my friends just have Kazaa, WinMX, or something open downloading songs.

I was once in Best Buy looking for a CD. Two guys walked by talking to each other. One said "Don't buy that CD man, just download it online".

We're in the minority here that actually will buy CD's. In the age group I'm in, most people download - while very few actually end up buying lots of CD's.
Sad, but true.

I always make an effort to buy original CDs. Actually, all my money is either spent on CDs, DVDs, and musical accessories and effects :lol: I don't have a huge CD collection (bit over 80 maybe), but I intend to make it grow and grow.
perkele

User avatar
Fireblade
Sr. Member
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:44 pm
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Fireblade » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:14 pm

Putting a few lower-quality mp3 clips on your own website, so that ppl can hear you and choose whether to buy your CD, is a TOTALLY different issue than someone making money out of your music and ultimately hurting smaller-scale musicians.

I sure wanna be listening to something better than Britney in 10 years' time...
The future is bright, and there's hope in the air,
Together we're singing, together we care.

User avatar
Paola
Sr. Member
Posts: 3762
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Bogotá

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Paola » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:33 am

You are not the guilty, anyone could have contaminated the mp3s with the virus.
Official hobbit of the Stratovarius forum...Relax guys, I don't find a ring...:wink: :lol:

User avatar
brought2ubyletterC
Sr. Member
Posts: 4819
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:15 am
Location: A Pacific Ocean Soul (California, United States)
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:53 am

I disagree on the comment though that the majority of people who download buy CD's. I know hardly anyone that does buy CD's anymore *I'm 20 - in college*.
I never said the majority of people who download buy CDs. I said the majority of people in *my* personal experience. I understand that a lot of the people who download who are in college are downloading because they can't afford to buy CDs. But that does not mean automatically that everyone is downloading and no one buys. And just because the majority of people in *your* experience are lifting MP3s and never buying doesn't automatically mean either that everyone else does the same as well. I believe there is a nice balance of both. There's always going to be someone in a group that wants something for nothing. That doesn't just apply to downloaders. But I can't stress it enough---just because there are some among the downloaders that want something for nothing, it does not mean that everyone is the same way. I rather enjoy going into a store and buying CDs. Even though I can download nearly any one I want, I still like buying them. But because of downloading, now I can go into a store with a better idea of what I want. What's so wrong with that?

User avatar
Xtracto
Jr. Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:16 pm

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Xtracto » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:46 pm

i got an error when posting...

User avatar
MaFiaBoY
Sr. Member
Posts: 3144
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: Brest, France
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by MaFiaBoY » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:48 pm

Xtracto wrote:i got an error when posting...
It happens sometimes, just try again :)
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

Latuman
Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:14 pm
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Latuman » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:36 pm

Maybe you hang out with wrong kind of people? MY friends do first download, then buy CD's. Your friends, you're whole college is full of corrupted criminals!

Stratowarius
Sr. Member
Posts: 1702
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Stratowarius » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:09 pm

:x With some of the "friends" here Strato needs no enemies . :cry:

User avatar
NeonVomit
Sr. Member
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:36 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:49 pm

Stratowarius wrote::x With some of the "friends"here Strato nees no enemies . :cry:
True.

I always buy the CDs. There's something special about owning the CD...
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com


I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Latuman
Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:14 pm
Contact:

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Latuman » Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:42 am

NeonVomit wrote:
Stratowarius wrote::x With some of the "friends"here Strato nees no enemies . :cry:
True.

I always buy the CDs. There's something special about owning the CD...
Pretty clear to me that there is NOTHING special in downloading an album. It has really NO value, than just the demonstrative value that lasts for only a while.

User avatar
StratoLink
Member
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Republica Dominicana

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by StratoLink » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:18 pm

Ok, i have a confession...

Sadly I live in Dominican Republic, and believe me this is not a great place for a power metal lover, you won't find a decent "underground" metal album ANYWHERE here, just britney and linkin park everywhere, and of course Shit rap (50 cent etc, that mainstream shit) i knew about stratovarius by a song named Speed of Light (I know all of you know that song) i used to just listen to Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park/etc, until that day that i downloaded that excellent song, since that day i have become a very big strato fan, hell i even plan to go to the tour in USA, but i can't help but downlodad the strato music because i can't find it anywhere here, and Yes i have downloaded a lot (i dont want to write "all" :( ), but that also has its good things, see, a lot of people know what stratovarius is becasue of me, every friend of mine, my girlfriend, my parents, they all know them and almost all of them like Stratovarius music.

You are considered by me, and by a lot of my friends, the best power metal band out there, i just love your music, and i tell about it to everyone (i let them hear some songs by phone etc), i have even done a lot of AMV (anime music videos) with your music aand posted them on a lot of websites (ign/gamefaqs/Animusicvideos.org/etc) and a lot of people tell me that the songs that i put in the AMV is excellent and i feel that i help you guys by doing that, because i think that way you become more popular and therefore more people will be interested in your music.

And yes, i sometimes feel guilty, but at least i try to help you on any other way. And of course i will buy your new album and a few others too when i go to USA this July.

I must say that i love the new cd, i have heard some samples, and "Fight" rocks so much!, excellent work guys
Stratovarius, The best power-melodic-symphonic metal band ever.
The legend of Zelda, The Best Game Ever.
Devil May Cry 3 Best Action Game Ever.
"I love this!, this is for what i live for!, I am absolutely crazy about it!!!"- Dante.

User avatar
Equinox
Sr. Member
Posts: 3418
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:26 am
Location: Denver USA

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by Equinox » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:39 pm

StratoLink, I agree with u in one point:
StratoLink wrote:Sadly I live in Dominican Republic

:D :lol:
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

Missing_Link
Jr. Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:35 pm

awww

Post by Missing_Link » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:59 am

dude that was cheap lol

Anyway, I do the same thing StratoLink... except i dont make AMV.

I've let almost all of my friends listen to Stratovarius and they like them. I don't really know if it's helping the band or not. I know it hurts the industry, more importantly the artists when when we download music, it is totally wrong... but isnt the true meaning of being a musician to gain fans that love them and their music? I usually dont go on this side of right or wrong... but there is no way that you can stop pirating on the internet. Like abortion or gay marriage in the U.S. we're never gonna come to a final decision about it. We will fight yes or no forever and always lay at a stale mate.

bmaires
Jr. Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: possible trojan with mp3 vector

Post by bmaires » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:50 pm

If you want safe mp3 buy cd and then with some software copy the musics for mp3 format to listen on your pc.

But remember to buy your cds.

Of course i'm not against mp3 in the web, that's why some bands put in their home pages their work, is to everyone knows their work, but do not download the all albuns...
And for me every band should put 3 of 4 musics per albun in their home pages for those who are not familiarized with that bands job...

Regarding to virus: if you are just see a web page it could contains malicious code to led you to pay a international call or something like that...

Locked