São Paulo, Brasil - DVD - Set List

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)
Re: São Paulo, Brasil - DVD - Set List

Post by IceBreaker » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:38 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote: Not so sure. TK at least said several times he didn't like them.
I think that´s why they don´t like to play Elements´ songs now live. TK namely has said in some interviews that "I don´t like" is too mild opinion, he really hates that stuff. Which is a shame, I liked quite much about the orchesthral material too. :?
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:37 pm

IceBreaker wrote:
MaFiaBoY wrote: Not so sure. TK at least said several times he didn't like them.
I think that´s why they don´t like to play Elements´ songs now live. TK namely has said in some interviews that "I don´t like" is too mild opinion, he really hates that stuff. Which is a shame, I liked quite much about the orchesthral material too. :?
In an interview to a French magazine, he also said he didn't like Hymn To Life. That guy sucks ! (joke included, but he actually said that.)
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:43 pm

You said right - TK doesn't like those albums - but the other members may not think like that.
Anyway, it doesn't really matter... if someday they decide to play any song from the Elements we'll know. And the ones who like those albums will be happy in the end... no big deal.
Lady Elecktra - Warrioress and Keeper of the Light of Booga

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:57 pm

Cristiane wrote:
You said right - TK doesn't like those albums - but the other members may not think like that.
Anyway, it doesn't really matter... if someday they decide to play any song from the Elements we'll know. And the ones who like those albums will be happy in the end... no big deal.
Yeah but seriously, that setlist is lame. The same old songs over and over again plus three songs from the new album. Both Elements : none, Destiny and Infinite : one each. Visions and Episode : five each. 4th Dimension : two, the same as ever. Are we back in 1997 or something ?

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:00 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote:Yeah but seriously, that setlist is lame. The same old songs over and over again plus three songs from the new album. Both Elements : none, Destiny and Infinite : one each. Visions and Episode : five each. 4th Dimension : two, the same as ever. Are we back in 1997 or something ?
I don't care because there is Coming Home, one of my all time favourites. And because Episode and Visions IMO are the best albums, this is just good thing. Well, of course they could play different songs sometimes...

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:04 pm

I know what you mean... but see... it's like I said, I think they chose a classic set list because it's some sort of reunion tour.
Old fans are back, of course they wanted to listen to old stuff... I loved when they played Against the Wind, if I could name a fave Strato song would be this one. At the same time they had to show the new material to the new fans.

Another thing we should consider is the whole context of the tour: the guys are back, they faced so many terrible moments, maybe that's why songs like Season of Change and Legions are there. Visions and Destiny are classics, I loved to hear them live...
I think the set list fits well this tour.

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:05 pm

Stratofanius wrote:
MaFiaBoY wrote:Yeah but seriously, that setlist is lame. The same old songs over and over again plus three songs from the new album. Both Elements : none, Destiny and Infinite : one each. Visions and Episode : five each. 4th Dimension : two, the same as ever. Are we back in 1997 or something ?
I don't care because there is Coming Home, one of my all time favourites. And because Episode and Visions IMO are the best albums, this is just good thing. Well, of course they could play different songs sometimes...
They are the best IMO too, but if I want to hear Legions, Father Time, Againsst The Wind or The Kiss Of Judas or even Black Diamond, I just have to put VoE in my CD player. What's the point in releasing twice the same thing (apart from making money of course, the DVD will sell like hotcakes with such a "mainstream" list. Christ, has my favourite band turned into a dollar-making-machine ?) ? I seriously doubt I'll ever buy this DVD.

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:08 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote:I seriously doubt I'll ever buy this DVD.
Then I think you'll be missing a hell of a gig. :wink:

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:12 pm

Cristiane wrote:
MaFiaBoY wrote:I seriously doubt I'll ever buy this DVD.
Then I think you'll be missing a hell of a gig. :wink:
I'll buy the next one... If they have changed the setlist :D The Bass solo is the only thing really interesting in this one :p Anyway, I was disappointed cause I won't be able to see them on this tour but with such a lame setlist I'm not anymore, and I won't have to endure 1 hour HammerFall :D Maybe next tour, if they change the list.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:21 pm

I think it is a good setlist. I would not mind if they had included a couple Dreamspace or Twilight Time songs.
But, since Strato has created so many albums now, it is getting harder to choose just a certain amount. They won't be able to please everybody with everything, but hopefully most of us fans will be happy with most of the songs! :)
Alot of us are just thankful we will get a chance to see Strato at all---Hell, if they sang "Ol' MacDonald"&"Three Blind Mice" I'd be happy headbanging! :D
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:46 pm

Just a little calculus. Of the 17 (I don't count the bass solo) songs that were played, 11 (i.e. 64%) are already on VoE. If that's not selling twice the same thing just to make $$$, I don't know what is.

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:55 pm

Well, if it's making money or not I don't know... but as long as there are enough people who like to be "fooled" (like me, for example), why not? 8)

Shaolin Phantom

Post by Shaolin Phantom » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:30 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote:Just a little calculus. Of the 17 (I don't count the bass solo) songs that were played, 11 (i.e. 64%) are already on VoE. If that's not selling twice the same thing just to make $$$, I don't know what is.
Well.. there was that song poll.. of course not everyone can be 100% happy with the set list.. well maybe if they would play for 6 hours :D

Just imagine the complainings if they only played stuff from Kotipeltos solo records or Elements part 2 :lol:
Stand before it - there is no beginning.
Follow it and there is no end.
Stay with the Tao, Move with the present.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:59 pm

Shaolin Phantom wrote: Just imagine the complainings if they only played stuff from Kotipeltos solo records or Elements part 2 :lol:
I wouldn't mind. I don't know either of Koti's albums (I only have the Reasons-single) so that would be great to discover them and E2 is quite good album with at least three killers (IWTMOS, I'm Still Alive and Liberty) and only two not-so-good songs (A&O and Luminous)

IceBreaker

Post by IceBreaker » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:07 am

MaFiaBoY wrote:11 (i.e. 64%) are already on VoE. If that's not selling twice the same thing just to make $$$, I don't know what is.
MaFiaBoY, but if thinking they make money with this similar setlist, is that so bad for you. Just compare it to what Nightwish does with releasing dozens of different versions of the same album, releasing half of the songs of an album as single or making many re-recorded&remixed versions of old songs. :roll: I think an old livealbum and one new live DVD with many same songs are not that bad at all.
Though I guess Strato doesn´t make just money with this setlist, I think they just are playing so-called hits for the fans.
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:56 am

MaFiaBoY wrote: seriously, that setlist is lame. The same old songs over and over again plus three songs from the new album. Both Elements : none, Destiny and Infinite : one each. Visions and Episode : five each. 4th Dimension : two, the same as ever. Are we back in 1997 or something ?
I agree in points. Although this time we have the chance to see them playing live with (I suppose) a great quality of image and sound, it seems to me that I will buy another Visions of Europe... Season of Change, Will the Sun Rise, Visions... I wish I could see Phoenix, Millennium, S.O.S, Fright Night, Lord of Wasteland (which they were playing in the last tour), Will my Soul Ever Rest in Peace (wow, I would cry a lot...).

But, anyway, I am excited with this release. The set list is actually great, from a great heavy metal show (c'mon, it's a STRATOVARIUS show!). We heard it a lot of times, but saying it's a lame it's a bit overstating to me. And, man, the Elements are something that even the band seems to try to forget. Great idea leaving them behind in this DVD, IMO.

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:27 am

i think they play those "old and famous" songs precisley because they are famous, that and those are (most of the time) the fan's favorites, so i dont really mind if they played an almost identical setlist to VoE, i still love them!
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

IceBreaker

Post by IceBreaker » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:32 am

stratoplayer wrote:those are (most of the time) the fan's favorites, so i dont really mind if they played an almost identical setlist to VoE, i still love them!
Right, the most fans just like those songs on VoE. But in my own humble opinion, I mind nearly every time when I got to know they have played Will the Sun Rise? live For me it´s a stupid not-so-good song with nothing special to give while they have dozens of other fantastic songs I´d like to hear on the setlist instead of this. But I see that WtSR? belongs to one of the most wanted songs and the band seems to like playing that live. I could do nothing then. :wink:

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:13 pm

well i dont particularily like father time but if they play it (and they did) it would by no means ruin the gig for me (and it didn't :D)
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

OPOJ

Post by OPOJ » Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:20 am

MaFiaBoY wrote:Just a little calculus. Of the 17 (I don't count the bass solo) songs that were played, 11 (i.e. 64%) are already on VoE. If that's not selling twice the same thing just to make $$$, I don't know what is.
It's not selling twice the same thing because Strato doesn't have a Live DVD.
I just think that when they chose the songs they thought about the all-time loved ones.
I read in a paper this gig will be "part of" a double DVD. So, like Visions Of Europe, it might not have only the show in SP, and it could have some songs of Elements. Maybe the shows in Italy, I don't know, I'm just guessing. It would be good if some Strato member could clarify that for us.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:20 am

:huh: Say What? :omg: A DOUBLE DVD?!!!!!!!!!That sounds too good to be true! :eek:
Is that possible? TWO gigs in 1 set!!!?? That would be awesome! =P :rvd:
Yes, we need clarification ASAP!
It would be fan-tastic if the Milan show would be a part of this set as well! A great welcome surprise! :D
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:46 pm

Doube DVD sounds interesting.
But if there are again lots of those "drunk-videos" like Infinite Visions had that isn't so cool :roll:

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:39 pm

Don't misunderstand me, I do not dislike any of the songs on the list (well, except Father Time and HH&L) but I just thik that hearing always the same songs is pretty damn boring. Like, Visions is a pretty f***ing great album, we all agree on that, but I've heard it so many times that now I know it by heart, nothing interesting in it anymore, so I rarely listen to it. Same goes for Episode. In fact, the only album that didn't do that for me is Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd. I listen to it at least twice a week since I'm 8 and never got bored with it. Maybe Strato should play Floyd covers :p

Pikkusielu

Post by Pikkusielu » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:43 pm

Stratofanius wrote:But if there are again lots of those "drunk-videos" like Infinite Visions had that isn't so cool :roll:
Awwwww, but those were funny! :twisted:

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:58 pm

Pikkusielu wrote:
Stratofanius wrote:But if there are again lots of those "drunk-videos" like Infinite Visions had that isn't so cool :roll:
on the nightwish dvd some of them are even better than the recorded gig :lol:
Spamming is serious business!

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:53 am

Dave wrote:
Pikkusielu wrote:
on the nightwish dvd some of them are even better than the recorded gig :lol:
Well that doesn't speak very well of them now does it? :lol:

Visions, Episode, Infinite and Stratovarius (the cd, i donwloaded it, BUT before you tear my head off i ordered the limited edition one, 22 bucks, but i arrives in two weeks, i CANT wait that long :( ) have yet to bore me, and i listen to them CONSTANTLY on my ipod!

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:58 am

stratoplayer wrote:i ordered the limited edition one, 22 bucks, but i arrives in two weeks
I ordered it too, 18 euros and it arrives in two days :)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:58 am

StratoHeart wrote: And, man, the Elements are something that even the band seems to try to forget. Great idea leaving them behind in this DVD, IMO.
I love Elements Pt. 1. Adore it, its one of my favourite Strato albums. Shame that the Milan recording became a mess. At least I caught Stratovarius on the Elements tour. Ept2 is also a wonderful album.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:05 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
StratoHeart wrote: And, man, the Elements are something that even the band seems to try to forget. Great idea leaving them behind in this DVD, IMO.
I love Elements Pt. 1. Adore it, its one of my favourite Strato albums. Shame that the Milan recording became a mess. At least I caught Stratovarius on the Elements tour. Ept2 is also a wonderful album.
Couldn't agree more. I WANT ELEMENTS INSTEAD OF THE F***ING BORING DESTINY, SOAV, Eagleheart instead of HH&L, I'm Still Alive, LEARNING TO FLY instead of the boring Father Time... :cry: I WANT THE ELEMENTS LIVE :cry:

Well, OK this was a little childish but I'm really REALLY disappointed with the setlist.

Pikkusielu

Post by Pikkusielu » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:29 pm

NeonVomit wrote:I love Elements Pt. 1. Adore it, its one of my favourite Strato albums.
At last someone I can agree with.