How loud are Stratovarius shows??

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
IbanezzDream
How loud are Stratovarius shows??

Post by IbanezzDream » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:18 pm

Hey everyone, I was just wondering from your experiences (especially those of you who have seen them in the US or small venues) on how loud these guys play? Would you guys recommend I bring ear-plugs? Don't get me wrong, I love when bands crank :twisted: but not too much... 8)
I used to post on Timo Tolkki forum! Say hello if you remember me!

Dawn_is_Here

Re: How loud are Stratovarius shows??

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:39 pm

It depends on how close you are from the speakers.

In one of their shows a month ago, I was about 3 meters away from the right front speaker, and I remained deaf of my right ear for 2 days! :lol:

Rock On!

icedone

Post by icedone » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:48 am

strat was good in cleve no need for plugs for them but into eternity you might it was loud Or just might have been due to soundman had the bass guitar cranked and the low B just rumbled and reverberated

StratoNess

Post by StratoNess » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:20 am

My ears were ringing for three days. I was right next to the stage left speaker in Chicago HOB though. (this is also were Jens was playing 8) ).

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:27 am

hah, that's a good question! 8) IMO they are quite loud, I think plugs are a good idea. At least when you try to get absolutely in the first row (which I highly recommend!!!!)...

Stratolily

Post by Stratolily » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:47 am

Dawn_is_Here wrote:It depends on how close you are from the speakers.

In one of their shows a month ago, I was about 3 meters away from the right front speaker, and I remained deaf of my right ear for 2 days! :lol:

Rock On!
In the first Stratovarius gig I went to (in 2000) I was like 2 mts from the left speakers (well, that's my fave place to be in Strato shows :D, cause in the midle everybody hits and crushes you :cry: .That's what I hate of gigs! :x ) and I had a very anoying noise in my left ear for one day. But after that, when I go to Stratogigs I put some toilet paper in my ears :D
It's just impossible to be there without protecting your ears...

STRATOPHILIUS

Post by STRATOPHILIUS » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:16 am

Hmm....ill make my judgement in 1 week.....I've heard some pretty loud concerts if anyone has seen The Misfits you know what im talking about...a giant wall of speakers and talking with a lisp for days.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

IbanezzDream

Post by IbanezzDream » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:55 am

Thanks guys! I will definetly make sure to bring my ear plugs with me!

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:07 am

How loud!?!?! Man gigs these days are never loud enough!! \m/
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

necrolog

Post by necrolog » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:04 pm

It depends. The show in Montreal a couple of weeks ago, I was about 5 feet from the speakers, so it was quite loud, plus there was the opening act before, so in the end, my ears were in pain hehehe. I'll try to go a bit more near the center next time, and enjoy the stereo effect!!

I might consider earplugs too.... its been invented for a reason

Dragon77

Loud???

Post by Dragon77 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:14 pm

Loud??? You want loud, try Motorhead - first time I saw them in '86 I didn't get my hearing back for almost 3 days.

Personally, I can't imagine Stratovarius being loud enough to need earplugs - and that's not to say that I don't think they play loud enough :wink:

Aside from that first Motorhead show, I've never been to a concert where I thought I needed earplugs (and I've seen quite a few metal shows).

I would suppose it might make sense for you to bring earplugs just in case you decide that you might want them at some point.

--- Dragon77

nepi

Post by nepi » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:31 pm

I never put ear-plugs in my ears 'cause they absorb the sound unregular so I can't hear the guitar but too much bass etc.
I always take handkerchiefs in my ears, that's much better... I just advise to try this option!

I'll always take handkerchiefs because I know I will go to any gigs after a concert and without hearing - I won't think about.
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

TerrinePotter

How loud are stratovarius shows?

Post by TerrinePotter » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:38 pm

In the show they did here in São Paulo I was kind like in the center and I got death for 2 days...hehehe. And also the people that were with me. But it was worth it, since hearing Koti's voice that loud is worth anything. :)
The only way of not beind death at all after a show is if it´s made open air. You can even listen to Motorhead and you will still be totally ok, in this situation ( at least I did, when I saw them open air)

Aresius

Post by Aresius » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:49 pm

well talking about sound i think the best place to be is in the midlle like 5 or 6 meters from the stage because if you are in the front the voice sounds weak and you wont hear some things. If you are in the sides some high notes will make you feel dizzy (or something like that, its very hard to explain )and some really low notes make your chest hurt.

If you want to "feel the show" go as close as you can from the stage. Maybe the sound is not as good as in the middle but the adrenaline is!.

In my case, adrenaline beats sound in gigs

Fireblade

Post by Fireblade » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:30 pm

Earplugs are the way to enlightenment. 8)

And the way to still enjoying music when you are an annoying old fart with a zimmer frame. :D
The future is bright, and there's hope in the air,
Together we're singing, together we care.

Heiserich

Post by Heiserich » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:33 pm

The Strato show in Oberhausen about five years ago was the last show in my life I visited without earplugs...

By the way, I bought earplugs that don't distort the sound so much and reduce the volume just for about 20dB. They were not so very expensive (just 25€) and they're really worth it. I also use them for my band, and the sound is still OK...
Life can only be understood in reverse
But must be lived forwards...
I'm losing my senses, I'm losing my senses

D. Mustaine

lizzie

Post by lizzie » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:27 pm

All gigs Ive gone to are loud! I use earplugs for motorhead gigs lol
blaze is the messiah

StragOvariuS

Re: Loud???

Post by StragOvariuS » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:47 pm

Dragon77 wrote:Loud??? You want loud, try Motorhead - first time I saw them in '86 I didn't get my hearing back for almost 3 days.
Hell yeah...the same when i saw them on the Hammered tour...

Deaf Forever...yeah, Lemmy always said. :)
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

stratovana

Post by stratovana » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:58 am

Will I became deff when i am in the photopitt in Tilburg? I don't hope so. :) :)

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:26 pm

stratovana wrote:Will I became deff when i am in the photopitt in Tilburg? I don't hope so. :) :)
nah...thats hard to happen... :wink:
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

nepi

Post by nepi » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:01 am

stratovana wrote:Will I became deff when i am in the photopitt in Tilburg? I don't hope so. :) :)
I have seen a serie in the TV about ear implantants. Take really care about your ears!!!!!
It isn't a problem to implant a "ear-help" but it is a very hard operation and very expensive!
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

nepi

Post by nepi » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:01 am

I have seen a serie in the TV about ear implantants. Take really care about your ears!!!!!
It isn't a problem to implant a "ear-help" but it is a very hard operation and very expensive!
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

IbanezzDream

Post by IbanezzDream » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:13 am

I can now say from the Santa Ana show that these shows are loud enough! I didnt use my earplugs the whole night, I was a little dissapointed that they turned Kotipelto down, I couldn't really hear him that well until the 2nd half of the show. Did anyone else notice this?

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:43 am

I was half def for about three to four days. That's what you get for being in the front. It was worth it to see them up close.

crostrato

Post by crostrato » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:10 am

Hay, i have been on Dream Theater show in Ljubljan beffore 2 days, and I still cant hear well, and stil I hear buz in my ears, would this stop!!!!!????
Thank you!!

nepi

Post by nepi » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:49 pm

crostrato wrote:Hay, i have been on Dream Theater show in Ljubljan beffore 2 days, and I still cant hear well, and stil I hear buz in my ears, would this stop!!!!!????
Thank you!!
I really hope so!!!!
I was once on a Gotthard-Gig without ear protection and then I had a *piiiiep* in my ear for a whole week - this was the end, since that gig, I ever have ear protections!

I only can advice you to really take care about your ears, otherwise you won't go to any gig and - saddener - you cannot hear beautiful music!!!
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Mystical

Post by Mystical » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:46 am

Rock On!
After a show in Slovakia my ears were deaf for 3 days. Does it mean it was louder than that? :)

Mystical

Post by Mystical » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:04 pm

Stratolily wrote:

Rock On!
In the first Stratovarius gig I went to (in 2000) I was like 2 mts from the left speakers (well, that's my fave place to be in Strato shows :D, cause in the midle everybody hits and crushes you :cry: .That's what I hate of gigs! :x ) and I had a very anoying noise in my left ear for one day. But after that, when I go to Stratogigs I put some toilet paper in my ears :D
It's just impossible to be there without protecting your ears...
I don't think it's impossible. Impossible is only the Mission :)
I don't like the maniacs in the middle too... but you must rock! ;) At least on a Strato show...

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:07 pm

Well, in Pratteln it was 111 decibels loud. And it was only the crowd...
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

nepi

Post by nepi » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:36 pm

Beast_Pete wrote:Well, in Pratteln it was 111 decibels loud. And it was only the crowd...
You were in Pratteln? Man, I was there too! It was fucking great!!! Which show have you seen?

Yes, it was very loud, the first evening something around 110 decibels, that is too much for me. I prefer to enjoy the sound not the volume :D But second show wasn't so loud (but still very loud)
The crowd was awesome! We had a new record in Pratteln: screaming crowd by 117 decibels - awesome!
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!