Stratovarius in Seattle - My Experience

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
fifthtea_sausage

Stratovarius in Seattle - My Experience

Post by fifthtea_sausage » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:42 am

First of all, I don't care if you are all outraged that I have created a new thread. This was a very special day for me, and I am not going to lessen its awesomeness by posting in some generic-made thread. I typed this thing up for a long time and I want my own thread. If you don't like it, get over it. I don't want to hear whining in this thread. For the love of god, is it that difficult to scroll down a couple times?

Alright, well I'm at the library right now, wanted to share with you my experience at the Stratovarius show in Seattle, Oct. 16. I got some bad quality videos that are about 8 seconds a clip that I might upload later, but they aren't good at all, and sound quality is horrible. And sorry, I have no pics for you because I was too busy enjoying the show ;) So we got there about 7:10 and I found Studio Seven to be very different from what I expected. Namely smaller and a little shabbier. Then, the first opening band began to play, and they were called "Final Hour." They were awful. They were a really pitiful death metal band. Their guitarist looked like he was no older than 14/13. At this time, there were about 20 people in the whole place. I was thinking, is this the crowd thats going to attend for Stratovarius? Eventually the whole place filled up to maybe 100-130 people, but its so sad that they play in front of thousands in Brazil and come to America and play as though they are some second-rate band.

So my friend and I took advantage of the transition time from Final Hour to the next band "Waking Hour" to go buy Stratovarius t-shirts. I bought the black one with the golden 'fleur-de-lys' in the front for $25, and its worth every penny. Ok so then Waking Hour starts playing, and they were fairly good! I was impressed, and the singer was hilarious. He'd like take the microphone stand up and hold it horizontally while singing and do all this weird stuff...it was awesome. I laughed so hard at the singer that I began to choke on my water :P

Then Lyranthe starts playing and I found them to be OK. They weren't as good as waking hour, but the last song they played was fabulous. So then after them (during this part me and my friend& were hanging around kinda in the back) decided to scoot up to the front so we could get a better view of Into Eternity. We got fairly close, about 4 feet away from the stage, on the right part of the stage. Then, Into Eternity came and they rocked! \m/ ! It was the funnest performance, their performance rivaled that of Stratovarius! I was so impressed at the music, and really I was blown away by the guitarist, who was like 6 feet away from me the whole time. He was really amazing.

Ok then Into Eternity finishes and we're all impressed but our ears hurt. At least mine because I'm not a 'true metalhead' I suppose. Well, since some people were moving Stratovarius' stuff to the stage, my friend and I decided to move as close as we could to the stage. Now during the whole show there was this particular idiot probably 14-15 year old who was headbanging the whole time. And it wasn't cool, it was actually annoying, because each time he'd thrust his head back I thought he was going to knock me out. Well, anyway, we were able to get past him a little to the point where we could lean on the stage, and then I see Jens' Yamaha DX7 right in front of me! And the impression I got was, why is such a famous keyboardist playing such a shabby keyboard? It was pretty dusty and a few keys looked like they had been replaced because they were black (no I'm not stupid, the keys that were supposed to be white were black. I heard somewhere he replaced his keys from another Keyboard :P). Well, no one was on stage yet, and then, remember that I am leaning on the stage itself, on the very right. So suddenly, these two screens come down and they begin to play this little tour diary thing. All these scenes from all over like Brazil, Chile, etc. There were some funny scenes like Lauri was playing with a remote control car, the usual faces from Jens and him getting drunk on the airplane, some short clips from their shows (it was funny comaring the 100-150 people who came up to see them in Seattle to the thousands in south america). Suddenly, the screens change and the maniac dance intro begins to be played, and Jens and Tolkki & Lauri all rush onto the stage and start playing with huge intensity, power, and speed "Maniac Dance." Koti runs up right when he has to start singing. So Jens was doing an awesome job almost right next to me playing his keyboard, and then to the left of him was Lauri Porra. The main impression I got from him was, for some reason, wow, he's tall. I mean he looked really tall, like he was some sort of giant. Probably my position. So Kotipelto's in the center stage, and Jorg'se behind Koti, and Tolkki is in the far left of the stage playing this beautiful blue guitar with this particular design on it.

They continue playing a lot of the songs that they played at other shows, such as (not necessarily in this order, but I tried to be as accurate as possible). I was upset, they didn't play Season of Change or coming home.

Maniac Dance - This was really good live
Speed of Light
Kiss of Judas
Father Time
Bass Solo
Will the Sun Rise
Twilight Symphony - This was awesome live
Against the Wind
The Land of Ice and Snow
United
Hunting High and Low

During United, they had this whole thing where the projectors in the back started saying these hippy-like things. I had to surpress my anger at such stupid phrases as "THE KEY TO THE UNIVERSE IS LOVE", etc etc, "WE MUST UNITE." But it was still cool. So the two big screens had a different image for each song to reflect the song, it was pretty cool.

The bass solo was the most amazing thing I've ever seen, me and my friend's jaws dropped. IT WAS AMAZING. This guys is the best bassist I've ever seen. He played this whole three minute thing, getting into such intense passages with such speed that I could not believe my eyes. I was really surprised. Jens set up his camcorder so that people could watch his performance from the screen and he came really close to Lauri to zoom in on his fingers (like 2 inches away at some point).

Then the band abruptly leaves and people start shouting I think "We want more," and something like "3 more" or something on the lines of that anyway. So the band comes back and plays the three classics. Kotipelto was funny during Destiny, as during the last part before "let your spirit free" he was harassing Jens kind of, like acting all surprised at the chords he would play and such.

Destiny *I think at some point here Koti threw other bands members water bottles away. He through two water bottles, then took a third and everyone's hands went up, but then he started drinking it and set it down on the stage:p

Forever
Black Diamond

Then, Kotipelto started making us count to four in Finnish, the usual thing.
At some point, Kotipelto started shaking hands with everyone in the front row, and he shook my hand! My friend also was able to shake the hands of Lauri Porra and Jens Johansson. Despite the fact that I was about a foot away from Jens and 5 feet from Lauri, I didn't shake their hand.

At the end of Black Diamond, the band said "Thank You" and basically ran off the stage. But by Black Diamond, when the band came back from the encore, Jens was drinking a beer and he already looked kind of drunk. Kotipelto looked at him and said, "this is all too common a problem on our tours" laughing. At the end of black diamond, Jens was running off the stage and he looked rather deranged (in a funny kind of way), make a little face, and starting tearing bits of some paper on the stage and throwing it into the crowd, it was quite funny.

Overall, Stratovarius did an unbelievable job. The only problems for me were that Tolkki's speaker was very far away from where I was so not only did I not get to see him much, but his guitar did not sound good because the speaker was in the completely other side. Also, I didn't see Jorg much because Jens' keyboard was obstructing my view. Kotipelto's vocals were correct on pitch, but not loud enough for me because again of where I was standing.

During the show, Tolkki and Jens were occasionally glancing across at each other. Tolkki smiled a few times but looked rather bored for a lot of the concert. Lauri looked like he was having a great time. Jens seemed as bored as Tolkki, but at the end of Black Diamond when he was drinking the beer, he looked sort of upset as if he had a huge headache. Jorg was putting everthing he had into the drums, and Koti was singing really well (though not loud enough).

I don't have much to compare this concert to since i'm not much of a metal-concert goer (I only got into metal music about 2 years ago, and this is my first metal concert actually, though of course i've been to other rock concerts). But I really think Stratovarius did a remarkable job. The crowd was cheering, making the \m/, etc. Following Into Eternity was though was tough, but Stratovarius did great.

Yay, thanks Stratovarius.
"Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Burning Reflection

Re: Stratovarius in Seattle - My Experience

Post by Burning Reflection » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:30 pm

Thank you for a great review. That's exactly the kind of review that I like to read. Your puncuation made your story easy to understand too. I'm so DAMN EXCITED TO SEE THEM TOMMOROW!!!!@!!!!@!111!!

StratoNess

Post by StratoNess » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:01 pm

fifthtea_sausage wrote:First of all, I don't care if you are all outraged that I have created a new thread. This was a very special day for me, and I am not going to lessen its awesomeness by posting in some generic-made thread. I typed this thing up for a long time and I want my own thread. If you don't like it, get over it. I don't want to hear whining in this thread. For the love of god, is it that difficult to scroll down a couple times?

Well said.

Nice review too.

OhMo

Post by OhMo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:02 pm

Nice detailed write-up - there's no better place to go when you want to talk about a Strato show, imo. I come here to share others' experiences.

Brings back memories for me - the paper throwing thing is funny :lol: they must have run out of drumsticks... they've played about 25 shows in six countries in less than 2 months and probably feel like caricatures of themselves by now (from MW dictionary: exaggeration by means of often ludicrous distortion of parts or characteristics) :)

Thanks fifthtea_sausage!

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:25 pm

fifthtea_sausage wrote:This was a very special day for me, and I am not going to lessen its awesomeness by posting in some generic-made thread. I typed this thing up for a long time and I want my own thread.
Then you don't care about others that much...

And I don't care enough about your experience to read 100 pages, so yeah, I just didn't read it :)
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:44 pm

Thanks for the review, I am SO psyched for the shows tomorrow and Monday!!!

IbanezzDream

Post by IbanezzDream » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:59 pm

Great descriptions! Thank you!

Santa Ana, here we come!!!! :evil: :D
I used to post on Timo Tolkki forum! Say hello if you remember me!

StratoNess

Post by StratoNess » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:08 am

Stealth wrote:
fifthtea_sausage wrote:This was a very special day for me, and I am not going to lessen its awesomeness by posting in some generic-made thread. I typed this thing up for a long time and I want my own thread.
Then you don't care about others that much...

And I don't care enough about your experience to read 100 pages, so yeah, I just didn't read it :)
He is one of the lazy ones. :wink:

tanis573

Post by tanis573 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:51 am

God, I wish I went. I live about an hour away from Seattle, but I had no ride!

metalstorm

Post by metalstorm » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:04 am

Yup the show in seattle was the best show I have ever seen. Since i am from here I flew up here from San Francisco just to see them. They played in SF on oct 8th but the venue is a really bad one. Anyway I have to thank Jens for everything he did for me and my two other friends. It meant more to us then he will ever know. He also saved us from the cold night air! I have never been treated so well at a show. He talked to us like we were old friends and I have more respect for that then anything.

Metalstorm

dedrabbit42

Post by dedrabbit42 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:54 pm

Thank you for the wonderful review. My son and I were at the show as well, along with two of our friends who had made a six hour trip to see this show. I could not have summed up the show any better! (Although, honestly, I was getting a little worried there near the end that I wasn't going to hear ANYTHING from the "Destiny" album!)

I must say I was a little disappointed at the turnout for Stratovarius. It seemed almost insulting! However, I did appreciate the intimacy of the venue and was pleasantly surprised to see that Timo did not hold back on his vocals simply because there wasn't a stadium to play to. I feel it was a testament to his artistic integrity to choose to wail just as wildly as he did instead of saving his voice for the larger crowds. I don't think any of the fans would have blamed him! Great job, guys. Don't give up on the U.S.! Someday, we Americans will come to appreciate the treasure that is Stratovarius!

MetalJasmine

Post by MetalJasmine » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:08 am

I saw some of the gigs on the west coast.. the guys were amazing and soooooooo friendly and cute!! ;)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:31 am

MetalJasmine wrote:I saw some of the gigs on the west coast.. the guys were amazing and soooooooo

friendly and cute!! ;)

I bet! ;) =P

Why don't you tell us all about it! Better yet, write me a PM. ;)
Welcome back! :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

MetalJasmine

Post by MetalJasmine » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:47 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
MetalJasmine wrote:I saw some of the gigs on the west coast.. the guys were amazing and soooooooo friendly and cute!! ;)
I bet! ;) =P

Welcome back?? What do you mean? ;)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:48 am

MetalJasmine wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
MetalJasmine wrote:I saw some of the gigs on the west coast.. the guys were amazing and soooooooo friendly and cute!! ;)
I bet! ;) =P

Welcome back?? What do you mean? ;)
You know what I mean! =P

Well--did they all keep their vows? :lol:
Was it a great show? Did you get Pics? Autographs?

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

MetalJasmine

Post by MetalJasmine » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:51 am

browneyedgirl wrote:You know what I mean! =P
Are you crazy or something!?

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:24 am

MetalJasmine wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:You know what I mean! =P
Are you crazy or something!?
No, just teasing you. But, you did get autographs&Pics?
I mean, you said they were friendly. Well, at least you did get to see them play&meet/talk to them afterward. ;) Not all of us are that lucky! =P :~(

MetalJasmine

Post by MetalJasmine » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:36 am

browneyedgirl wrote:No, just teasing you. But, you did get autographs&Pics? I mean, you said they were friendly. Well, at least you did get to see them play&meet/talk to them afterward. ;) Not all of us are that lucky! =P :~(
:err: