Stratovarius @ the Galaxy Theatre; Santa Ana, CA 10/10/05

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
brought2ubyletterC
Stratovarius @ the Galaxy Theatre; Santa Ana, CA 10/10/05

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:12 pm

Here is the second and final installment of my Strato reviews.

Unlike the previous night, Monday did not move at as hectic a pace. Still pumped up from the night before, and psyched out for the night to come, I woke up bright and early at 8 in the morning. The rest of the day was pretty slow-paced; I started getting ready at about 2, with every intention to leave by 4. My aunt and uncle were puzzled as to why I would want to leave so early, but I wanted to make sure I had a good seat. Again, my friend had to work, but unlike the night before, her work was only minutes away from the Galaxy, so she would actually have time to arrive for Strato's set! Image

So I left a little after 4; I offered to take my uncle out to dinner as way to thank him for giving me a ride to the venue. I could not spend the entire vacation here without one glimpse of my beloved Pacific Ocean, so we went to a place I know in Sunset Beach that is home to the best chili fries in all the world (and I am confident in saying that!). I got to gaze upon the ocean I love so much as I ate the chili fries that I missed dearly, feeling that sense of peace that comes over me whenever I see the ocean. My enthusiasm for Strato was like a banked fire; blazing hot but totally under control. This excitement was a different feeling than the chaotic rush that dominated the day before. I was actually able to enjoy the feeling of anticipation, and that in itself is a cool feeling! Not to mention that my long-awaited desire to finally see Strato had been fulfilled at the Key Club gig, so I could spend today taking everything in and not looking any longer at my waiting as an annoyance. Image

My uncle pulled up in front of the Galaxy a little after 6; there was a crowd outside already and the doorman let us right in and I was able to get my tickets. Tolkki had sent me an e-mail saying that passes were waiting for me here too, so I asked about them. The man said he had no access to the list and didn't seem to know where/who to ask. I decided not to hassle with it now and made a mental note to ask again later. Another security guard came by and wheeled me to the show room. He asked me where I'd like to sit and I was not shy in admitting, "Right up front!" As we got closer to the front, we noticed barriers being put up, so the closest I could get was off to the side where the dinner tables were. It was still a choice seat, and as the security guard wheeled me right next to the steps, I thought to myself that this would be a fine spot; much closer than being up in the balcony at Key Club, that was for sure!

So I got myself settled and noticed that my aunt's cell phone, that I was borrowing, would not turn on. Great, the last thing I need is a broken cell phone! Especially a broken cell phone that belonged to someone else! So I flagged down anyone that might have been able to help me; a lady came by and I don't know what she did, but she got it working again. Whew! Image

By that time the doors were open and slowly people began to file in. I saw someone that I recognized from the night before; he had been hanging out with BurningReflection and I asked if he'd made it here. A few minutes later I got my answer when BurningReflection showed up and hung out. He excused himself to go buy a shirt, and I asked him if he could get me one too. I bought the Gotterdammerung shirt at the Key Club (which I wore to this show), and wanted to get the album cover shirt. When he came back he told me they didn't have any more of that particular shirt in my size. :cry: Oh well. It's my own fault for not buying it when I had the chance.

So we hung out for a while and then I noticed that the table I was somewhat occupying was reserved. I apologetically told the couple that I was told to sit here and that I hoped they didn't mind sharing. They shook their heads; no, they didn't mind sharing. A little while later I turned to them again and gave them some of the flyers I had been passing around (for the band Macbeth; I had given them my very first interview and they asked me if I could pass out some flyers for them at any gigs I may go to), as a way to thank them for letting me share their table. We spoke for a while and I noticed that they had Finnish accents, but I did not want to be presumptuous or rude and let them introduce themselves. Once they revealed that they were indeed Finns, I took a chance on my rudimentary Finnish and greeted them with a "mita kuulu?" (I hope I spelled that right). They said my Finnish was quite good, and I had to admit to them that I didn't know nearly as much as I wish I did (and I was relieved that I indeed said the greeting right and did not end up saying something bad instead!). As we spoke a little more, I asked them if they had actually come from Finland to see the show. They explained that they now actually lived in San Diego and were just as deprived of their Finnish metal shows as much as the rest of us Americans. Image They made for great company as I waited for my friend to arrive; I unwound with a Jack & Coke as they had dinner. How great it felt to discuss Finnish metal with Finns someplace other than the internet! :D

Sometime after 8, the first of the 3 opening acts took the stage. They weren't bad, but not exactly good either. They did an anti-Bush song that seemed to rally up the crowd a little bit, but that was about all I remember of them.

At 9 o'clock, the second opening band started up. I can't remember their name either, and it's a good thing too---because they f*ckin' sucked! I don't know whose bright idea it was to mix this hardcore metal band with a melodic metal band like Strato, but that person should be barred for life from ever working in the music business! So anyway, this band was godawful. Every time they would urge the crowd to "put up their horns", I would put up my middle finger. I yelled at them to suck a d*ck and got a few laughs from some folks in the crowd. I was not the only one giving them a hard time; I gues someone up front was really letting them have it, because towards the end of their set, one of the "singers" started to complain, "we may not be Into Eternity but at least give us a f*ckin' chance!" I'm sorry, but once you start asking for a chance, it becomes apparent that you don't deserve one. When they announced their last song, I yelled "thank God!" as loud as I could. Image

Not too long after their set ended, I saw my friend walk in and I waved to her. She obviously didn't see me, because seconds later my cell phone rang and she was asking where I was. "I'm right in front of you!" She saw me once I threw my horns up, and she proceeded to walk towards me. She made a seat beside me, and I introduced her to the Finnish couple, and she asked, "Did I miss Strato?" She was happy as hell to learn that she hadn't, and there was still one more band to go before Strato hit the stage.

At about 9:30, Into Eternity came onstage. I didn't know their music very well, and the little I did know did not impress me enough to care much about their set. However, they put on a fantastic show and it was enough to convince me to give their music another try in the future. My friend thought the bass player was hot and urged me to take some pictures of him. They were a much more fitting opening act for a band like Strato, but I must admit, by the time their set was done I had most definitely had my fill of opening bands for the night.

I think it was about 10:30 when Strato finally hit the stage. Footage of the band frolicking and having fun graced the screen as the crowd waited anxiously for the show to begin. They proceeded to put on yet another mind-blowing show with the following songs (again, in no order):

"Maniac Dance"
"Speed of Light"
"Father Time"
"Will the Sun Rise?"
"The Kiss of Judas"
"Twilight Symphony"
"The Land of Ice and Snow"
"United"
"Forever"
"Against the Wind"
"Hunting High and Low"
"Coming Home"
"Destiny"
"Black Diamond"
(Bass solo)

Yet again, Strato did not cease to amaze. As this was the last show of the U.S. tour, the crowd seemed even more enthusiastic than at the Key Club, and I thought that audience was rather high energy! Even the band seemed to play better than the previous night, if that is even possible! Someone brought a huge Finnish flag with them, which Timo K. proceeded to borrow during "The Land of Ice and Snow". Several times during the night, Timo K. would make eye contact with me and point in recognition in my direction. So f*ckin' cool. I thought I had been giving it my all as an enthusiastic fan the night before, but after the set in Santa Ana, I was so spent that I thought I was going to faint dead in my chair (well, I would have died happy!).

Another highlight was when Timo K. announced "Coming Home". I remember seeing it listed in reviews of other shows, and missed not hearing it in Hollywood. Now, for those of you who have known me at Stratoboard for a long time, you all know how much I love Stratoballads, and you all know that Visions is my favorite Stratoalbum. So I don't think I need to reiterate that "Coming Home" was a special part of the show for me. Without getting too sappy or sentimental, the song took on a new meaning for me as I listened to the words and thought of the man I love, and how in the near-10 years of our relationship, we had never been parted for this long. Hearing this song made me wish so badly that he was here with me, because he loves Strato as much as I do. But it also made me miss him, and remember the 10 days that I have been/will be apart from him. Only the mighty Queensryche have ever been able to write lyrics that move me so deeply, so profoundly. Until Strato came into my life 7 years ago, that is.

OK, back to the show...it was so f*ckin' amazing. Lauri blew everyone away again with his unreal bass solo. Tolkki was perfect as always, and played a bit of "Greensleeves" from his first solo album before beautifully transitioning into "Forever". God, that song is so lovely. Am I a sucker for Stratoballads or what?

So the security warned everybody before Strato's set not to take pictures, but I didn't give a damn and it seemed no one else did either. I got many good pictures but my flash was slow so I missed many great shots, like Timo K. and Lauri whenever they would come to our side of the stage, or the band with the Finnish flag. Our Finnish friends yelled "long live Finland!" in their native tongue throughout the show, thanks to them I was able to almost feel what it must be like to see Strato in their homeland.

At the end of the show, just like in Hollywood, Timo K. urged the crowd to count to 4 in Finnish. The audience gave him a rousing count, and I thought to myself that it won't be long before I learn Finnish after all! Image

When the show ended, my friend turned to me and regretfully informed me that she had a class early in the morning, and we would not be able to stick around and try to meet the band like we had planned. :cry: I couldn't exactly protest, told her that I understood and reluctantly agreed to leave. We said goodbye to our Finnish friends, who were getting ready to leave too. The wife made a sweet compliment to me by saying that I should make it to Finland someday, because women with brown eyes are "treasured" there. That took me aback, since brown-eyed people are considered common or ordinary here in the States. But if there's any place in the world where a gal like me is considered beautiful, I'm glad Finland is it!

A few minutes later we said goodbye to BurningReflection and his friends, and then security came to help me up the stairs. We got to the car and talked excitedly about the show all the way home, returning a little after 1 in the morning, thus officially bringing my 7-year wait for Strato to a most emphatic and unforgettable close. Image Image

The Enigma

Re: Stratovarius @ the Galaxy Theatre; Santa Ana, CA 10/10/05

Post by The Enigma » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:54 pm

Thanks C, for another awesome story about your attending to a Stratovarius show! 8)

You just revealed what I consider metal music is all about: Enjoying life with your friends and finding new friendly people to share the feeling, no matter where your origin lies. Metal on this level just isn't only entertainment but has become something bigger - I dare to call it art! :twisted:
The 1st rock thrown again
Welcome to hell, little Saint
Mother Gaia in slaughter
Welcome to paradise, Soldier

AMBR@BEC

Post by AMBR@BEC » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:09 pm

The Enigma wrote:Thanks C, for another awesome story about your attending to a Stratovarius show! 8)

You just revealed what I consider metal music is all about: Enjoying life with your friends and finding new friendly people to share the feeling, no matter where your origin lies. Metal on this level just isn't only entertainment but has become something bigger - I dare to call it art! :twisted:
Another excellent story, C., and very heartfelt. Between you and The Enigma, I've gotten all choked up. :oops: :) I'll be thinking of you and your stories when I'm in Helsinki next week. (Brown eyes are treasured? No way. Cool. :lol: ) Now I'm really feeling sorry I can't stay a couple extra days to catch Strato again. Oh well, you can't have EVERYTHING! I'm just glad I'm going. Thanks again for sharing. Very inspiring!
“He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool” A. Camus

Beyond Ear Candy Metal Radio
beyondearcandy.com
Photos from 2008 Winter NAMM and Blog on Ben in Iraq on MySpace myspace.com/ambr_bec

shaz

Post by shaz » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:38 pm

Awesome story this one. Now I'm really anxious to get to the Helsinki show.. only 14 days to go. :)
"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself."
-Sir Richard Francis Burton

Fireblade

Post by Fireblade » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:26 pm

Great story, C!

Damn, now I can't wait for the show in London. Hotel is booked, and I am itching to go! :D
The future is bright, and there's hope in the air,
Together we're singing, together we care.

empi

Post by empi » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:19 am

no legions :(

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:21 am

Any pictures? That is what I am waiting on! :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

billdozer000

Post by billdozer000 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:12 am

Ya that show fucking rocked!!!! My friend got a drum stick (almost got taken away by the guards lol) and I hope Stratovarius really liked the states so they will return and do many more shows. I also hope they come back before 2007 because I cant wait 2 years to see them again (even if they come back to the states with the new album)
STRATOVARIUS fucking rules... ya that all.

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:07 am

Yes, I have pictures from both shows but I'm leaving for San Diego in the morning (my Southern California vacation is not over yet!), so I will probably not have time to get them put on disc. I will definitely do it as soon as I get back home after Sunday.

Say, I hope BurningReflection made it back home after the show OK. I haven't seen him around the board at all since the Galaxy show. :?

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:22 am

^ Hey C, thanks for your concern and a great review! I also read your Key Club review and thought it was very good too. It's too bad you couldn't wait around after the show @ the Galaxy.... look out for my review that I've been working on the last couple days OK C ? BTW, I refer to you as the Moderator from the Nightwish forum in my review! Take care!

Asterothe

Post by Asterothe » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:00 am

http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2DNV ... 32AWLN4SC7

Short clip during Destiny. One of the highlights from both nights
for me.
I'm still there, everywhere
I'm the dust in the wind
I'm the star in the northern sky
I never stayed anywhere
I'm the wind in the trees
Would you wait for me forever?

Asterothe

Post by Asterothe » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:40 am

I'm the dust in the wind
I never stayed anywhere

Asterothe

Post by Asterothe » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:44 am

http://s36.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3N71 ... LVX3MW0LKN

Hunting High and low chorus. What a moment...
I'm the dust in the wind
I never stayed anywhere

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:46 pm

Great pictures! The guys seem very animated&energetic on stage! That is very nice to see. They seemed to enjoy themselves very much. :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:58 pm

BurningReflection: You can just call me C., like everyone else does. :D

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:53 am

^ I'll refer to you as C, but I wrote that as general review for a few forums so that why I refered to you as the Nightwish Forum Moderator! Kapesh? :wink: Oh BTW, I think people should read a good review rather than bickering over that other Key Club thread sooooo.....*BUMP!*

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:58 am

OK, I get it. I normally do the same when I'm writing reviews for multiple sites, but as I'm not on my own computer at this time and I'm just too damn lazy...

See, I was too damn lazy to even finish that last sentence! :lol:

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:39 pm

Pictures of both shows are up and online!

I divided the pictures into two groups: L.A. (night one at the Key Club) and O.C. (for you non-Southern Californians, that stands for Orange County, where the Santa Ana show was).

Click on the link...I know you want to!

http://www.kingtoad.net/C/strato/

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:17 am

hey C, thanks a lot!!
I've been waiting for new pics, great!!
You gave me something to do on a fucking boring and rainy saturday night :D
Lady Elecktra - Warrioress and Keeper of the Light of Booga

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:49 am

Off topic ^ It's raining and it's boring today here too,....

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:24 am

Thanks, always glad to give someone something to do on a boring Saturday night. ;)