First 3 albums

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Asterothe
First 3 albums

Post by Asterothe » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:15 am

What do you think about first 3 albums?
Personally I love them so much. They are very
special. Now none of the first 3 album material is
being layed live. I wish so much that the band
played some of these with Tolkki on vocals. Kotipelto
is amazing but I like Tolkki's vocals and these albums'
rawness a lot.

Dreamspace sometimes might be my fave abum.
Twilight Time has so many hidden gems. First 3 songs
of TT are flawless. I like the sound there so much.
I'm still there, everywhere
I'm the dust in the wind
I'm the star in the northern sky
I never stayed anywhere
I'm the wind in the trees
Would you wait for me forever?

MaFiaBoY

Re: First 3 albums

Post by MaFiaBoY » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:07 am

Those three album kick ass ! Much better tan Destiny and Infinite...
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:36 pm

I like the first albums very much! Tolkki has a very nice voice--different than Koti, but every bit as good, I think.
Twilight Time was the second StratoAlbum I got&I really enjoyed it, and I still do!

Lets hope Tolkki gifts us with more solo albums of his terrific voice!
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

NordicStorm

Post by NordicStorm » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:40 pm

They're all good, Dreamspace in particular, but I respectfully disagree that they're better than Destiny, which is Stratovarius' best album, imho...
Give me liberty, or give me cake!

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:39 pm

They're wonderfull...

a good example of power metal! i love them, its simple and its awesome!

But...compare to Destiny is wrong. I think that Jens gave another meaning to the songs, like, another feeling...the keys before he join the band was nothing.
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:57 pm

Fright Night is... well, not very good...

Twilight Time is a huge classic for me and I love it! One of their best albums for sure! It has many great songs like The Hands of Time, Madness Strikes Strikes at Midnight and The Hills Have Eyes.
Super great album.

Dreamspace is ok, but I don't care of that so much. Well, it has got awesome title track, but this album doesn't mean so much to me.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:35 pm

NordicStorm wrote:which is Stratovarius' best album, imho...
The second-worst imo... And to strago : I think the drums after Tuomo was fired were nothing.

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:39 pm

i like a few songs on fright night

twilight time is a great album, but a bit short..

Dreamspace.. i just LOVE this album :luv4: every song on this cd is great..
Spamming is serious business!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:50 pm

Tears of Ice is the most touching tearjerker song ever!

Lead us into the Light is such a strong philosophical statement that I use it as my E-Mail sig.

We are the Future&4th Reich are very telling lyricly, and are also very philosophical.

Dreamspace is one of my fav Albums. Period.

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

t0ny

Post by t0ny » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:45 pm

When I got Tolkki to sign Fright Night in Calgary he was going on and on about how horrible he thinks it is. He even offered to buy it from me so he could burn it. I told him that I like it a lot and there's many good songs on it. He laughed at that.
-+-- t0ny --+-

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:14 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote:The second-worst imo...
Agreed more than 100%. I´ve never liked Destiny and I won´t too in the future. *thumb down* Only the both "Nights"-songs are great.
t0ny wrote:he was going on and on about how horrible he thinks it is. He even offered to buy it from me so he could burn it. I told him that I like it a lot and there's many good songs on it. He laughed at that.
Oh, didn´t have a clue that Tolkki really hates Fright Night so much. :wink: Well, I think it has very bad sounds, it sounds too amateur and stuffy. Specially the original version of the Future shock is so stuffy and actually poor that you can´t listen it without laughing a bit. Anyway, there´re luckily some greater songs which has the idea already at that time. Specially the Fright Night and Darkness. The later is actually made capably. :) Also Tolkki´s guitar work is an exception, because it sounds already very skillful. You can imagine that guy really can play the guitar. 8)

I think the band grew a lot in Twilight Time/II. The sounds are better, they play skillfully and TT´s voice sounds very nice. I like his singing the most in Twilight Time. Also there are a bunch of great songs like The Hands of Time, Madness Strikes at Midnight, Out of the Shadows, The Hills Have Eyes and maybe Break the Ice too. (btw, the song doesn´t mean for me a lot though, coz the lyrics don´t tell about the real icebreaking :lol: ) I´d say Twilight Time is on the third position in my favourite Stratoalbums list. 8)

Dreamspace, nja the album is quite great and you can find much Tolkki´s thoughts and opinions from most of the lyrics, so I´d say the album is worth of it. But there are though some too weird songs too,like Thin Ice, Full Moon or Dreamspace (the middle part,which I really can´t stand).
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

Stratolily

Post by Stratolily » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:36 pm

After listening to these three albums, the one that really keeps in my mind is Twilight Time. It's amazing! I really love it! I like the sound so much!
But I also like Dreamspace and Fright Night :wink:

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:28 pm

I really like those albums.

Dreamspace is my fav, then Twilight Time and then Fright Night.

They are at least 8/10 to the times they were realeased.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

Fireblade

Post by Fireblade » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:14 pm

I love the dark feel of the earlier stuff, and the rawness too.

I love the more polished but still dark feel of the middle era - Episode, Visions, Destiny.

I also love Infinite, as it was the first I heard, and I love the Elements, too, the power and bigness of sound. Also the new one, with its blend of hope and melancholy that typifies Strato. The albums are all points of the Strato journey, and all special. Of course I have songs which I love more than others, but not really albums that I love more than others.

All have a special place in my CD rack. :D

I don't feel the need to choose between them, there is space on my CD rack for all of them. When a new album comes along, I don't have to throw one away (or decide to not put the new one in, because the others are so great and there is no space for it).

Also, the CD's themselves do not sprout teeth and eat eachother.. Elements1: "Visions! It's you or me! Outside, now!" Visions: "I am older than you, I will always be better!" etc.... :roll:
The future is bright, and there's hope in the air,
Together we're singing, together we care.

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:21 am

well, being amateur, simple, bad recorded i still loving fright night and the artcover too! 8)
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:30 am

hmm, i dont really like twilight time at all, fright night and dreamspace on the other hand are both masterpieces
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:52 am

Fright Night is the best of the three first albuns in my opinion, and also one of the best of Stratovarius. I know, maybe I'm the only one with this opinion, but...

I don't like Dreamspace that much, really. I prefer Twilight Time, but also I don't consider it as a masterpiece.

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:55 am

And everybody talks abput the "bad" production of Fright Night, but it's better than, for example, the first one of Iron Maiden.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:32 am

StratoHeart wrote:And everybody talks abput the "bad" production of Fright Night, but it's better than, for example, the first one of Iron Maiden.
But Maiden's debut has some classics like the titletrack or Phantom µOF The Opera. ON FN (like TT and DS), there are no "classics" (i.e. songs "fans" keep screaming for during shows)

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:02 am

As my favourite albums are Episode and Visions, I am not that enthusiastic about the first ones. But I really love some of the songs, especially:
-Fright Night (thrilling one!!!)
-Twilight Time
-Out of the Shadows
-Chasing Shadows (an absolutely masterpiece!!!)
-4th Reich

Those are really, really great. But on the albums there is also stuff I really dislike (Metal Frenzy, Thin Ice). So well... they are not that important to me. But it's still cool to hear TT singing. He has a cool voice.

Oh, and about the roughness: IMO the new album somehow gets back in that direction. I really like that!

Asterothe

Post by Asterothe » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:31 am

Maiden's debut is a classic. Evey single song
became a classic song. Some people don't like the
production (including Steve) but even as it is it's
a masterpiece because of its contents.

After posting this topic I'm mainly listenign first 3 albums
over and over and really there should be some songs
played live from this era. So much emotion, melody and
spirit hidden there.
I'm still there, everywhere
I'm the dust in the wind
I'm the star in the northern sky
I never stayed anywhere
I'm the wind in the trees
Would you wait for me forever?

tanis573

Post by tanis573 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:24 am

StratoHeart wrote:Fright Night is the best of the three first albuns in my opinion, and also one of the best of Stratovarius. I know, maybe I'm the only one with this opinion, but...

I don't like Dreamspace that much, really. I prefer Twilight Time, but also I don't consider it as a masterpiece.
You're not the only one. I totally agree with you, man. Fright Night is one of my most favorite Stratovarius albums. I really love the title track.

lizzie

Post by lizzie » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:55 pm

there great
blaze is the messiah

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:17 pm

StratoHeart wrote:And everybody talks abput the "bad" production of Fright Night, but it's better than, for example, the first one of Iron Maiden.
Agree. I think, that Fright Night rocks hard! \m/ It's much better, than Twilight Time for example. The title song, Witch Hunt, Fire Dance, Future Shock etc etc are so cool songs.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:21 pm

t0ny wrote:When I got Tolkki to sign Fright Night in Calgary he was going on and on about how horrible he thinks it is. He even offered to buy it from me so he could burn it. I told him that I like it a lot and there's many good songs on it. He laughed at that.

I think, IMO, that TT should think Fright Night as special being it is the bands first album. But, the production is not that great although, IMO, its not a bad album.
Most First albums are rough around the edges, so TT should not diss FN too much. ;)
I think he was joking abit, Tony! :)

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:50 pm

well, many artists dont like their songs when they look back at them a few years later, they go "damn, what the fuck was i thinking" but i personally think that artists are never the best judges on their own work, they can convey the idea but they are not the best judges in "good or bad" terms...

did you understand a word of my theory... :?
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:13 am

stratoplayer wrote:well, many artists dont like their songs when they look back at them a few years later, they go "damn, what the fuck was i thinking"
I usually get that a few hours later.

Also, to stay on topic. I'll merely add that, while it may not be the best album, Dreamspace definately has the best feel, and most awesome concept of any Stratovarius album. We may never know the actualy concept, since the concept seems to be about the concept. A very wierd album that can be a hell of a head trip given the current state of mind.

And, just to go against popular opinion and say what i think, Thin Ice is not a bad song at all- it adds to the overall weirdness of this dark album. Though, when not taken as part of the whole, I have to confess myself and my friends all sing along to, and exaggerate, the "DUN DUN!!!.... DWAAAAAAH!" part of the song. Then, comes the final, heavy, super catchy riff that we all love, which tends to result in massive headbanging, and quite often, things in the way being broken.

I have more to say about this album, but, I'll do it later.

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:20 am

Jack wrote: Then, comes the final, heavy, super catchy riff that we all love, which tends to result in massive headbanging, and quite often, things in the way being broken.
I agree with you about the ending guitar riff on the song. It´s the only good part on the song for me. :)
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:54 am

Jack, I must confess I've never seen it this way. I always hated Thin Ice, never understanding what the heck came to Tolkki's mind at that time. But somehow you are right.... It fits in the weirdness of the whole album.

And something I missed especially on the two Elements-Album is absolutely present on the first three ones:

ATMOSPHERE!!

They really have a very dense atmosphere, each one of its own. Also Twilight Time, which like it seems some of you don't like that much. I very much dislike the sound of the early albums, but in the end that's not the most important thing. The atmosphere on those albums absolutely kicks ass!

StratoHeart

Post by StratoHeart » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:06 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote:
But Maiden's debut has some classics like the titletrack or Phantom µOF The Opera. ON FN (like TT and DS), there are no "classics" (i.e. songs "fans" keep screaming for during shows)
That's right, but I was not talking about which one is better or something, I was talking about the production.

And, anyway, I was screaming for Fright Night in the shows... and so some guys with me! :wink: