Review of Stratovarius/Hammerfall in Turku 29.10

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
nero9000
Review of Stratovarius/Hammerfall in Turku 29.10

Post by nero9000 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:50 pm

I was running a bit late, so I arrived at the venue when supporting act Wingdom was already closing their set. I did manage to hear a cover of the Helloween song "Why?", though, which was nice. Wingdom is the band featuring ex-Sonata Arctica keyboardist Mikko Härkin and ex-Rhapsody bassist Alessandro Lotta, who seemed to be missing from the line-up, though. That or he's done a huge makeover. Guess it isn't easy to fly a guy from Italy to do every gig.

I saw Hammerfall once already this year when they played some warm-up shows in Finland. This time the band had brought their entire stage-show to Finland. The stage was designed to look like an arctic landscape, and the gig began with some fake snow coming from the ceiling. Maybe not the best idea considering Finland is just getting ready for months of snow, ice and coldness, but it looked cool anyway. :D The gig also included some pyro and a huge hammer rising up from behind the stage during Templars of Steel.
Luckily the band had shuffled the setlist around a bit since the last time, and we were treated to a real gem in the form of At the End of the Rainbow. As much as I hate to sound like a geezer, I really enjoyed the older material the most, while the songs from the last two albums didn't make much of an impact on me, except for Fury of the Wild.
The band themselves were in good form, although the sound could have been a bit better. I suspect the venue is not well-designed for metal gigs, as Stratovarius seemed to have the same problem. The audience was loud and intense, but it really needed guidance on what to do, as I didn't hear much singing during the chorus of Hammerfall or during the sing-along in Heeding the Call (which got going after Joacim showed how to do it, though). Anyway, the band seemed happy, and we were a better crowd than the stiffs at Helsinki. :D

Hammerfall setlist:
1. Secrets
2. Riders of the Storm
3. Renegade
4. Let the Hammer Fall
5. Hammerfall
6. Drum solo
7. Fury of the Wild
8. At the End of the Rainbow
9. Steel Meets Steel
10. Blood Bound
11. Heeding the Call
---------------------------
12. Templars of Steel
13. Hearts on Fire

Stratovarius had an interesting stage set-up, as there were two screens behind the stage that at first showed footage from the band's trip to South America earlier this year. When the band began their set, the screens showed a picture describing whatever song was being played at the time, such as a watch during Father Time and, well, ice and snow during The Land of Ice and Snow.
It was very nice to hear Eagleheart in the set, as it really hasn't been played live many times, despite what people might think. The band seemed to be enjoying themselves, and new man Lauri Porra is truly a bass wizard, as his bass solo proved. The solo and following ballad slowed the gig down a bit too much for my taste, though. Of course, I'll take Land of Ice and Snow over Forever any day, thanks to the great marching drum near the end. After the slow period, the gig reached it's pinnacle in my personal opinion. The screens started showing death-tolls from the world wars. I was expecting the Hitler-song, really, but the text went on:
When will we learn?
We are all in this together.
We're all in the same boat.
We are all one.
The key to the universe is love.
We are United.
That moment truly sent shivers down my spine, as I had promised I wouldn't leave the gig before I heard this song. Very corny, but that's what made it so good.

Stratovarius setlist:
1. Maniac Dance
2. Speed of Light
3. Kiss of Judas
4. Eagleheart
5. Father Time
6. Twilight Symphony
7. Fight
8. Bass solo
9. The Land of Ice and Snow
10. United
11. Hunting High and Low
----------------------------
12. Destiny
13. Black Diamond

As I said, the sound wasn't that good during the whole night, but it got the job done. And the line-up was probably the best my hometowns ever had, so it's a small complaint. I'm not good at judging crowds, but I'd say there were a little over one thousand people there. A few guys in the crowd were complaining about the lack of attendance, but to me it seemed like a good turnout, and the bands said they were positively surprised at the good crowds, as well.

Elazul

Re: Review of Stratovarius/Hammerfall in Turku 29.10

Post by Elazul » Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:28 pm

Thanks a lot for this review :)
And much thanks for the setlists of HammerFall and Strato.
So I can prepare myself for the upcoming show on friday 8)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:56 pm

That show sounds so great! :headbang: I love the music of both Stratovarius&Hammerfall! You Europreans got the best of this grand tour! 2 terrific bands in the same concert. :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

NordicStorm

Post by NordicStorm » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:22 pm

I was there as well, overall a good concert. Although I'm completely deaf at the moment. Events had conspired against me to prevent me from seeing Stratovarius live, so it was good to finally be able to attend one of their concerts...

So that was Mikko Härkin on the keys! I thought I recognised him. I saw Sonata Arctica on Kåren a few years ago, when Härkin was still in the band. Anyway, I thought the opening band was rather good, I might have to check out their album...
Give me liberty, or give me cake!

AMBR@BEC

Post by AMBR@BEC » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:34 pm

Excellent review, Thanks!
I'm not good at judging crowds, but I'd say there were a little over one thousand people there. A few guys in the crowd were complaining about the lack of attendance, but to me it seemed like a good turnout, and the bands said they were positively surprised at the good crowds, as well.
"Only" a thousand? When they played in New York City there was maybe 500. Same for Hammerfall/Edguy tour. As much as I like seeing the bands become more popular here, I must confess, I love the small crowds. :wink:
“He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool” A. Camus

Beyond Ear Candy Metal Radio
beyondearcandy.com
Photos from 2008 Winter NAMM and Blog on Ben in Iraq on MySpace myspace.com/ambr_bec

empi

Post by empi » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:09 pm

in my opinion "two pop songs" are more than enough ( maniac dance ,eagleheart) :twisted: than 3 more songs from the new album arghs. fight is very cool but please than kick maniac dance. i don't know if i'll go to the shows in fürth and kaufbeuren . there is less strato music than in south america (i read about shows lasting near to 2 hours in south america) and more songs on the setlist i don't like. not much time and playing a bass solo i must not have one better one song more.
hmm lets see just compare the set list from Turku with the one from São Paulo .

1. Maniac Dance Maniac Dance
2. Speed of Light Speed of Light
3. Kiss of Judas Kiss of Judas
4. Eagleheart Legions
5. Father Time Twilight Symphony
6. Twilight Symphony Will The Sun Rise?
7. Fight Bass Solo
8. Bass solo The Land Of Ice And Snow
9. The Land of Ice and Snow United
10. United Against The Wind
11. Hunting High and Low Season Of Change
---------------------------- Father Time
12. Destiny ------------------------------
13. Black Diamond Coming Home
14. Destiny
15. Hunting High And Low
--------------------------------
16. Visions
17. Forever
18. Black Diamond

Is it fair ?
I know there was a DVD recording and there need more stuff but the percentage what was played from the fanvoting is in south america ca. 77% and in europe 53%. WHY ? i know the people in south america are much louder than in europe but is this a reason to change the set list from very cool to crap ? (just my opinion). or is it the fact that more european people can afford to buy strato cds so more new songs for advertisement ? (Scheiß Kommerz! Ja die Kuh muss noch gemolken werden solange sie Milch gibt!) i know they can't make a set list that everybody is satisfied with there are too many different opinions but 24 % more songs from the voting and it would be ok. if eagleheart fight were so great songs which everybody wants to hear i ask myself why is there a dvd recording without those songs ?
Legions, Will The Sun Rise? , Against The Wind, Season Of Change, Coming Home, Visions , Forever all those songs are only for the people in soutn america.
YEAH WE'ARE UNITED
:lol:

opinions ?

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:35 pm

^ I think you're a big Whinner. You saw Stratovarius and you're lucky that you got to see them. They are co-headling this part of the tour while there probably wasn't even an opening band for Strato in Brazil; therefore they probably had more time to play more songs. There are so many factors that could've led them to playing that many songs that there's no reason to speculate or complain about it, in fact, I think you're being very selfish.

empi

Post by empi » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:53 pm

no i am not and thanks for the personal attack. you don't get the point i know that there are less songs cause of hammerfall but it is the percentage of songs voted by the fans. if you read carefully you would get the point and you would know that i haven't seen strato on this tour. and why am i selfish when i say what i think ? if the majority of the european prefer this set list it is allright. but thats the question.

Fireblade

Post by Fireblade » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:53 pm

[whiner-mode]

2. Speed of Light
3. Kiss of Judas
4. Eagleheart
5. Father Time
6. Twilight Symphony
9. The Land of Ice and Snow
11. Hunting High and Low
----------------------------
12. Destiny
13. Black Diamond

I'd remove most of these from the setlist :wink: and add heavier and less cheesy stuff.

Either Zenith or Leave the Tribe. I can't believe the best songs on the album are being left out!
Gypsy in Me rather than Fight (but I love Fight, so don't mind really)
Some kind of Medley of older stuff like they did on E1 tour. With a bit of Babylon.
Visions!! (or Infinite, but most would prefer Visions I guess)
Any of Winter, Eternity, Rebel, Million Lightyears Away.
Any of Dreamweaver, Awaken the Giant, or Know the Difference.

If there is to be Land of Ice and Snow, I would axe all the other ballads. Or better, replace it with Keep the Flame.

I totally love United and really look forward to that. I also love Maniac Dance.

Best plan - get rid of the supports and have a 2.5-hour Strato set. :D

Whoa, maybe I am Tr00000 Metal after all. :lol:

[/whiner-mode]
The future is bright, and there's hope in the air,
Together we're singing, together we care.

nero9000

Post by nero9000 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:47 am

empi wrote:in my opinion "two pop songs" are more than enough ( maniac dance ,eagleheart) :twisted: than 3 more songs from the new album arghs. fight is very cool but please than kick maniac dance. i don't know if i'll go to the shows in fürth and kaufbeuren . there is less strato music than in south america (i read about shows lasting near to 2 hours in south america) and more songs on the setlist i don't like. not much time and playing a bass solo i must not have one better one song more.
hmm lets see just compare the set list from Turku with the one from São Paulo .

1. Maniac Dance Maniac Dance
2. Speed of Light Speed of Light
3. Kiss of Judas Kiss of Judas
4. Eagleheart Legions
5. Father Time Twilight Symphony
6. Twilight Symphony Will The Sun Rise?
7. Fight Bass Solo
8. Bass solo The Land Of Ice And Snow
9. The Land of Ice and Snow United
10. United Against The Wind
11. Hunting High and Low Season Of Change
---------------------------- Father Time
12. Destiny ------------------------------
13. Black Diamond Coming Home
14. Destiny
15. Hunting High And Low
--------------------------------
16. Visions
17. Forever
18. Black Diamond

Is it fair ?
I know there was a DVD recording and there need more stuff but the percentage what was played from the fanvoting is in south america ca. 77% and in europe 53%. WHY ? i know the people in south america are much louder than in europe but is this a reason to change the set list from very cool to crap ? (just my opinion). or is it the fact that more european people can afford to buy strato cds so more new songs for advertisement ? (Scheiß Kommerz! Ja die Kuh muss noch gemolken werden solange sie Milch gibt!) i know they can't make a set list that everybody is satisfied with there are too many different opinions but 24 % more songs from the voting and it would be ok. if eagleheart fight were so great songs which everybody wants to hear i ask myself why is there a dvd recording without those songs ?
Legions, Will The Sun Rise? , Against The Wind, Season Of Change, Coming Home, Visions , Forever all those songs are only for the people in soutn america.
YEAH WE'ARE UNITED
:lol:

opinions ?
Eh? Eagleheart is in the top 10 in the voting. Of course they'll also play songs from the new album, because this is a tour in support of the new album. Those songs weren't around yet when the poll was made anyway. I wouldn't want Strato to become one of those cabaret metal acts that only play the old stuff. I also applaud them for having the guts to NOT play songs like Paradise and Forever (well, in Finland anyway) on this tour.

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:37 am

nero9000 wrote: Eh? Eagleheart is in the top 10 in the voting. Of course they'll also play songs from the new album, because this is a tour in support of the new album. Those songs weren't around yet when the poll was made anyway. I wouldn't want Strato to become one of those cabaret metal acts that only play the old stuff.
You got the point about playing the new songs instead of some old classics or bullshits. Personally I´d hear Season of Change or Eternity or Infinity or Distant Skies too instead of some songs and the new Götterdämmerung/Zenith too. But I´m quite satisfied with that setlist (was also there in Turku gig). IMHO, it´s great that they´ve skipped WtSR? as I hate that song and Against the Wind too. Yeah, I know that ppl loves Against the Wind but someones just have different opinions (there are 4 better songs in 4th Dimension than that, IMHO).
nero9000 wrote:and ex-Rhapsody bassist Alessandro Lotta, who seemed to be missing from the line-up, though. That or he's done a huge makeover. Guess it isn't easy to fly a guy from Italy to do every gig.
NordicStorm wrote:So that was Mikko Härkin on the keys! I thought I recognised him. I saw Sonata Arctica on Kåren a few years ago, when Härkin was still in the band.
Yeah, as Wingdom is Mikko´s present own band. After the gigs I met Mikko suddenly when I was waiting to see some Strato-guys and managed talk him for some time. Wow how nice and peaceful he was and I think he enjoyed having some fans who noticed him and liked the Wingdom. :) So I asked him about the bassist and he told the same you nero9000 were guessing. It´s too expensive to fly Alessandro from Italy to Finland. That´s why they had an old friend as a bassist in those three support gigs.
Now it´s said on the Wingdom´s guestbook that the new bassist really becomes the permanent member.

Note! Now I have to write two different posts because I also am writing my review from the same gig, sorry for the inconvenience. :lol:
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:25 am

So it´s time for my review from the gig in Turku. It was actually the only choice for us because we have relatives in Turku so we could visit them at the same and sleep there. Though it took around 5 hours to travel there by train from the Southeastern coast.

Mostly this review is just a translation from the review I did yesterday straight after the gig in the Finnish section. But:

I think the gig was very tight and great! I was totally ecstatic about the whole gig, and it seemed Strato was the band of which the audience came to see. I was surprised that a little coz I was thinking the audience would have liked HammerFall more than Strato. but it wasn´t so which I find really great! Strato is back and the people also in Finland have accepted them again and welcomed them back. 8)
Tolkki was in great condition during the whole gig and looked very lively. He was inspired by the crowd who suddenly started to shout "Tolkki!!!" during the end of Twilight Symphony and made a short bonus solo. (I was among the first shouters but definately not the who who made that up.) He played first mostly with the black guitar with the new lily painted on it and in the end he played the most with the beautiful dolphin-painted guitar. Tolkki also did a great job singing the backing vocals. He helped lots of TK who had problems with his voice at times. The worst problems I thought were during Father Time when TK´s voice really sounded weak and vanished under the other sounds. But he had a flu and had some sciatic problems of which he also mentioned in one speech. :(
Porra was unbelievable and the lenghtened solo was awesome. 8) He really brings new energy to the band both visually and technically. I actually thought who ever cares for Jari nowadays. :P
Jens was quite ok doing good job and also messing a bit around wih Anders who filmed his playing. But I think he was overshadowed by the other members. :?
So Jörg was also exteremely great and had fun while playing. I read that he had some problems in the gig in Tampere but now he didn´t have any problems. :)

The setlist which nero9000 already mentioned was actually the same as in Helsinki and Tampere too.

I liked they added Fight!!! to the setlist. As I guessed before it really is a heavy and very headbanging one. I was headbanging so much during that song that my glasses nearly dropped! :lol: :headbang: About Father Time I was wondering where Kotipelto´s voice disappeared which I already told. Otherwise they played it quite well.
As Hunting High and Low is a hit, it affected the audience nicely. They liked that song much and the atmosphere was great during the whole song. :) Also Maniac Dance hit the audience well, which may have been a surprise. The song seems to work great live. :)
I also liked lots of Destiny though normally that epic song isn´t my favourites. But they played it so passionately. Though I´d hear Infinity or Götterdämmerung(Zenith of Power) too or instead of this, as I love those epics. but Destiny was surprising good for me. :music:

As nero9000 said the sounds weren´t so good, I´d say I liked the sounds Strato had quite much though. Only HammerFall was playing a bit too loud.

But I think it was more than great to see how stratovarius is working nowadays, it was a superb gig for me. 8)

After the gig we were waiting some time around the busses to see somebody and managed to see TT, Lauri and Mikko from Wingdom. They all were very nice and in good mood at that time. Thanks for them! :)

About the Wingdom´s gig, here´s a part of my post about it from the Kotipelto-forum:
Wingdom was great in Turku! They played very intensively and really seemed to enjoy the playing. Unfortunately the audience didn´t seem to know them and that´s why the atmosphere wasn´t the best there. Wingdom was allowed to play only six songs which were:
1. Time
2. Marionette
3. Where Do We Go?
4. Never Stop
5. A Sigh of Despair (that was IMHO the best one, which also the audience seemed to notice, I found that one very heavy there)
6. Why (Helloween-cover)

I would have heard the long Lighthouse pt2 too but they didn´t have time for playing more songs.
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:36 am

:~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:28 am

Thanks for your nice review Icebreaker.:)
IceBreaker wrote: Tolkki also did a great job singing the backing vocals. He helped lots of TK who had problems with his voice at times. The worst problems I thought were during Father Time when TK´s voice really sounded weak and vanished under the other sounds. But he had a flu and had some sciatic problems of which he also mentioned in one speech. :(
Too bad for TK..:(
Indeed, when you've some problems of sciatic especially, it's harder to sing well than usually. I know what i am talking about, believe me.:(
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

empi

Post by empi » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:50 am

for all those who can't read carefully. i know that eagleheart is on the votinglist.
The simple question is: Why consists the setlist in south america 73% from the votinglist and in europe only 53% ??

empi

Post by empi » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:02 pm

hehe in europe 4 new songs are on the setlist. and MaFiaBoy ask your teacher how to calculate the percentage.
number of new songs on the list / all songs the setlist has

nero9000

Post by nero9000 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:15 pm

empi wrote:for all those who can't read carefully. i know that eagleheart is on the votinglist.
The simple question is: Why consists the setlist in south america 73% from the votinglist and in europe only 53% ??
Are we talking about the same voting list here? There were 20 songs picked for the setlist, from which the band decided which ones they'll actually play. Here's the 20 songs for you:

black diamond: 426 votes

hunting high and low: 347 votes

destiny: 342 votes

father time: 306 votes

paradise: 294 votes

speed of light: 291 votes

forever: 277 votes

the kiss of judas: 277 votes

eagleheart: 266 votes

distant skies: 253 votes

forever free: 253 votes

sos: 253 votes

against the wind: 250 votes

legions: 249 votes

phoenix: 249 votes

will the sun rise: 249 votes

visions: 248 votes

a million light years away: 246 votes

season of change: 246 votes

twilight symphony: 246 votes

EVERY old song Stratovarius played on the gig is on this list. Looks like the band has decided they don't have to play just the top 10, and I agree, as it would make the setlist more boring and generic. It's a good change that some of the top 10 songs were put on the shelf for a while to bring some freshness.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:51 pm

I can understand everybody who is a little bit disappointed with that setlist. I would be, too, if I could go to a concert. Well, better to have a Strato-gig with a little bit lame setlist than NO Strato-gig, of course... :wink: As I probably can't go to a gig, it doesn't matter anyway...

One thing everybody is enthusiastic about, is that package Strato and Hammerfall. But I would rather prefer a gig where Stratovarius could play that setlist from South America. No other bands. *g* That's what I think. Songs like Coming Home, Legions, Against the Wind, etc. aren't played that often, so those would have been the songs I had been looking forward to.

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:05 pm

Here I want to share with you my wonderful Stratovarius gig in Turku Finland Oct.29.th
The venue of the gig was a hotel/spa Caribia. The ballroom with big crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling.So it was quite a nice place for the magnificent night! As we gathered in the lobby before the doors to the ballroom were opened,it looked quite nice there: lots of metalheads with their long hair and dressed all in black! You could only imagine the looks on those peoples faces,who were there with their children to have a spa holiday.( oh my God, what happenes here tonigth!) We spotted Jens Johansson there in the lobby.
So ,the Wingdom gig started.I like their music and the band plays very good.Timo Kotipelto was on stage behind the band for a couple of minutes.
During the brake we went to buy some Stratovarius T-shirts.
Hammerfall started their gig and the room was half full.Their performance was very good,but I don`t like much their music.Their vocalist said:" be patient,we have only 3 more songs left.You certainly are waiting for the mighty Stratovarius!" And the audience responsed:"YEAHHH....."
On the break we quickly took some drinks with Koskenkorva in,and headed to the best places we could get.the 3:rd row and in the middle of the stage.And finally the two videoscreens started to show Stratovarius on their South American tour.The Maniac Dance started and there they were!
Timo Tolkki with his black guitar,Timo Kotipelto in his black velvet shirt and those striped blue jeans(so handsome),Lauri with his shirt still on, Jens looking happy and Jörg with a big smile on his face.Oh it was wonderful!
After Twiligth Symphony I shouted HYVÄ TOLKKI! and some male voice beside me joined it and soon the whole house was shouting TOLKKI,TOLKKI,TOLKKI!! ( The house was full by the way).He looked very surprised and happy!
Lauris bass solo was great and he played Finlandia,and he was without his shirt.Timo Tolkki had changed his guitar to the blue one with the Dolphin on it.It`s very beautiful!
The whole band was very good and happy and wonderful!Everyone of them did a great job!The nigth was awesome!
But something very nice was going to happen!
When I and IceBreaker left the hotel the queue to the taxi`s were so long ,we decided to look around a little.
Just around the corner was a twostored bus,the Stratovarius-bus!Timo Tolkki came out of the hotel going to the bus,he spotted us and came to us with smile on his face.We shook hands and introduced ourselves.He gave us autographs with our names on ,and on mine he did :) .We talked with him for a while! just me and IceBreaker and Timo Tolkki! He was very nice and polite,happy and wonderful! He shook hands for goodbye and waved his hand to us,when he was at the doorstep! Oh what a nigth!
When he was gone,there came Lauri and he stayed to talk with us too! We got his autographs too. He is a nice guy ,very polite
We managed to meet Mikko Härkin of Wingdom also and talked with him quite a long time! :)
My Stratovarius night was so unforgettable.Timo Tolkki was so wonderful and charming! :luv4: :luv1: