Stratovarius... "Devil´s Music"??!!

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
destinygirl
Stratovarius... "Devil´s Music"??!!

Post by destinygirl » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:43 pm

I need to tell to all of you my story... quite sad and unfortunate one as a matter of speaking. :cry:

I was a 15-year-old girl, hugely digging one of my favorite bands at that time, Stratovarius; this mighty band meaning sort of a world to me. I had naturally bought all of their albums for myself and even managed to see my "heroes" playing live once back in the day, too. I just loved how this band sounded like; Timo Kotipelto having one of the greatest voices I had ever heard in my life.

At the age of 15 I was naturally living with my parents who were, more or less, quite heavily religious people. They live in a small town that is a strongly religious area in general, and that´s where I have spent all my childhood, too.

One day my father came to my room with some unknown man, who obviously was strongly religious person as well - and both of them started pointing with their fingers this and that is ´Devil´s work/music´, taking away lots of things from my room that were so precious to me. Two of those things were a huge "Destiny" -poster and along sleeve shirt of Stratovarius that were burned to ashes (amongst other things) by my father and this other ´religious freak´. I was devastated, thinking there´s something badly ´wrong´ in me as I liked so much Stratovarius (and I still do) as I was told by both my father and this other ´religious crackhead´ that I was possessed by demons by listening to Stratovarius. Being at that ´fragile´ age 15, under influence of heavily religious parents and their religious friends, I was constantly fed by them how I was possessed by some sort of demons from Hell if I listened to this or that music, or simply kept some band posters on my wall that THEY thought they are symbols of the Devil.

All this affected to my mental state quite drastically and caused me atmostphere of panic in my later years.

Now I´m 22, living in other city outside of straight influence of those religious people and yet still making my mental recovery. My parents have ever neither realized nor undertood ´til this very day that it was THEM who caused me all these symptoms of being mentally out of balance, driving me to a deep state of depression by feeding their own religious views to me for many years. Don´t get me wrong as I still love and care for my parents - I do, but how I am going to tell them some day that Stratovarius isn´t ´Devils´s music´ so that they could possibly understand me that I wasn´t possessed by demons when listening to them? What if they refuse to hear me out what I have to say to them?

I´d appreciate if I heard some of your opinions/comments for my story as your opinion means a lot to me and will surely make me feel a ´better person´, without feeling guilty for supporting ´Devil´s music´ as my parents always want to put it that way... :(

Thanks for everyone for reading this altho I´m not sure whether this was the correct forum to make this post out for?

"All for one... one for all..."

~ DestinyGirl"

Morgana

Re: Stratovarius... "Devil´s Music"??!!

Post by Morgana » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:56 pm

I think both you and your parents were right... Such music for them is really guilty. It isn't so for you. But nobody can impose his own opinion to somebody else. Every person must build his life with his own hands. Good luck!

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:01 pm

If Stratovarius is Devil's music, I wonder what your parents would said if you listened death or black metal loudy in your room when you were 15... :?:

Piiuska

Post by Piiuska » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:05 pm

Hey destinygirl!

I'm sorry to hear about your story, and I'm also really sorry to say that it was really familiar, I've heard many things like that before. And I guess all of us, who are into metal.
Many times people have come to tell me "you're a fan of satan if you really listen to that kind of music! Stratovarius is only that kinds of sick persons!", but do you know what? It really is not. Are the lyrics somehow admiring satan, or the music? No! And your parents.. they actually did something, and blamed on you about something that they didn't even know about. We should never care of the persons who come to tell us "you satanist" coz of Stratovarius, coz they simply don't know what they're talking about. :) Well it's true some of metal bands maybe act more like "our god is satan", but not Stratovarius at least, and that's what we're talking about now.

Religion is a strange thing in human being's mind. It seems even if usually in religion they ask you to be good for everyone, to accept everyone like they're, respect you like you're.. they still don't do this. If your parents saw the thing in other ways, if they really would have tried to see what you're for real, maybe they'd have seen you really aren't bad? But of course, I still believe they only tried to do the best, be good parents the way they saw the best.

I think we all are still free to listen to the kind of music we like. It doesn't make us different, or drive us to be fans of satan. Music's just a wonderful thing :)

So, I'm finishing off. Finally. :D Hopefully no one fell asleep ;)
See you!
Live for now, like there's no tomorrow.

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:10 pm

Stratofanius wrote:If Stratovarius is Devil's music, I wonder what your parents would said if you listened death or black metal loudy in your room when you were 15... :?:
Mandragora Scream, for example... Or Alice Cooper...

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:26 pm

Stratovarius' music is NOT Devil music---in fact, its the opposite!
I have had friends who hear Strato the first time thinking they are a Christian band because of the lyrics dealing with peace, harmony&beauty of the world.
Also, on a Website Gospel.com Stratovarius is classified as Christian-Rock&highly reccommended for young folks to listen to.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:29 pm

I hate it, when people generalize the metal that Stratovarius plays for example. Haven't they heard about satanic techno bands? It doesn't depend on the music.

An advice: tell them to read the lyrics, and they will understand. If not, then you shouldn't care, they are blind.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

Hellovarius the Simp

Post by Hellovarius the Simp » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:08 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Stratovarius' music is NOT Devil music---in fact, its the opposite!
Yeah opposite, not the music of devil, music of Timo :twisted:
Nothing to say.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:10 pm

Hadn't I seen your location, I'd have thought you lived in the US. But it seems religious freaks are everywhere...
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:55 pm

completely bullshit. Sorry for that word, but it's how i feel it. Strato lyrics are about freedom, life, love, humans, about find your own thoughts and not do what rules say. It's one of the bands I think they most care about lyrics. It's so easy to say "fuck god, go devil's way, drink, fuck and ...", but it's more polite and beautiful to express "make what your soul whispers" ;)

shaz

Post by shaz » Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:55 pm

Morgana wrote:
Stratofanius wrote:If Stratovarius is Devil's music, I wonder what your parents would said if you listened death or black metal loudy in your room when you were 15... :?:
Mandragora Scream, for example... Or Alice Cooper...
Or.. ahem.. Gorgoroth, Emperor, Behemoth, Bathory, Amon Amarth or some other funky polka orchestra. :D
"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself."
-Sir Richard Francis Burton

shaz

Post by shaz » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:00 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Stratovarius' music is NOT Devil music---in fact, its the opposite!
I have had friends who hear Strato the first time thinking they are a Christian band because of the lyrics dealing with peace, harmony&beauty of the world.
Also, on a Website Gospel.com Stratovarius is classified as Christian-Rock&highly reccommended for young folks to listen to.
Stratovarius can be very uplifting at times, but luckily never christian.. :wink:

The people at gospel.com should listen to a song called 'Dear God' from Tolkki's second solo album and then perhaps rewrite their definition for strato. :roll:
"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself."

Stratolily

Post by Stratolily » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:15 pm

Well, if Stratovarius is devil's music, we all are gonna go to hell! :twisted:

No, talking seriuos, Stratovarius is the most beatiful, amazing, incredible and so f**king good band of this world!
Damn it! You're parents didn't have a real clue of what they were talking about!
Don't feel guilty at all, please! Their real mistake was trying to make you change your mind and they didn't respect your thoughts and feelings.
That's what religion can do to people, :? . Sorry, but I think your parents are totally brainwashed. But here's the thing: They're free to do whatever they want, of course, but they have to respect that you don't think like them...
Well, you live away from them now, I guess that's the best thing you can do. And you are concious that all what happend/happens to you is their fault, so that's the begginig for you to recover for all this...

Look, here we are all the people who's really nuts for Stratovarius, so this is the place for you if you wanna talk about them or about you.
We'll be here to help you in anything you want, ok?
I hope you to feel better with our words...
Take care! :wink:

@shaz: Dear God, that song is too good! Plus, all of us have thought that way sometimes, haven't we?...
Or the gospel.com people should listen to Find Your Own Voice: "No christ, god nor religion gave the answer I was looking for..." :twisted:

SETH

Post by SETH » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:20 pm

shaz wrote:
Stratovarius can be very uplifting at times, but luckily never christian.. :wink:

The people at gospel.com should listen to a song called 'Dear God' from Tolkki's second solo album and then perhaps rewrite their definition for strato. :roll:
I think Mr. Timo was going through a hard time when that album was created and did you even read the thank you part of the new album?

Part of religion is actually questioning, fighting God, and doubting. do not let your own feelings of Atheism cloud your objectivity, shaz! ;)

personally, I think the lyrics are more new age type stuff instead of Christian, but they are inspring anyway. but, in my opinion Stratovarius is more Christian type than Creed, for example or POD which i like both very much.

As for this girl's parents, they are very closeminded and fanatic and I hope she can reach at least midroad with them on this issue. I guess not everyone can have cool parents, as far as music goes, like I do.

destinygirl

Post by destinygirl » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:26 pm

Stratolily wrote:Well, if Stratovarius is devil's music, we all are gonna go to hell! :twisted:

No, talking seriuos, Stratovarius is the most beatiful, amazing, incredible and so f**king good band of this world!
Damn it! You're parents didn't have a real clue of what they were talking about!
Don't feel guilty at all, please! Their real mistake was trying to make you change your mind and they didn't respect your thoughts and feelings.
That's what religion can do to people, :? . Sorry, but I think your parents are totally brainwashed. But here's the thing: They're free to do whatever they want, of course, but they have to respect that you don't think like them...
Well, you live away from them now, I guess that's the best thing you can do. And you are concious that all what happend/happens to you is their fault, so that's the begginig for you to recover for all this...

Look, here we are all the people who's really nuts for Stratovarius, so this is the place for you if you wanna talk about them or about you.
We'll be here to help you in anything you want, ok?
I hope you to feel better with our words...
Take care! :wink:
Thank you - and thanks for everyone for responsing to my thread. I simply knew all of you Strato -fans are wonderful and understanding people on this board!! I feel very uplifted after reading all your nice responses to me, so thanks again!! :)

Stratolily

Post by Stratolily » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:38 pm

destinygirl wrote:

Thank you - and thanks for everyone for responsing to my thread. I simply knew all of you Strato -fans are wonderful and understanding people on this board!! I feel very uplifted after reading all your nice responses to me, so thanks again!! :)
You're welcome! :wink:

Hey! Why don't you submit in Kotipelto forum?
There's a lot of funny and nice people.

www.kotipelto.com/forum

We'll be waiting for you! :wink:

shaz

Post by shaz » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:44 pm

SETH wrote:
shaz wrote:

I think Mr. Timo was going through a hard time when that album was created and did you even read the thank you part of the new album?

Part of religion is actually questioning, fighting God, and doubting. do not let your own feelings of Atheism cloud your objectivity, shaz! ;)

personally, I think the lyrics are more new age type stuff instead of Christian, but they are inspring anyway. but, in my opinion Stratovarius is more Christian type than Creed, for example or POD which i like both very much.

As for this girl's parents, they are very closeminded and fanatic and I hope she can reach at least midroad with them on this issue. I guess not everyone can have cool parents, as far as music goes, like I do.
Actually now that you mention it, I never did read the leaflet in the new album that thoroughly. Thanks for bringing that up, I gotta take a look at it now. :D

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:03 pm

wow thats a bit extreme, telling your kids not to listen to a band is something (it being strato should be punishable by law, seeing as how "The Land of Ice and Snow" has to be one of the most beautiful songs ive heard) but burning your shirt and poster reminds me of the inquisition... no offense to your parents though

my parents dont like strato too much, but that is because i have them all day, and my dad likes the stones and pink floyd, my mom likes what i call "50 year old frustrated women ballads"... ( :yuk: )
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

shadowedaethyr

Post by shadowedaethyr » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:30 pm

Like everyone said, I'm very sorry to hear that you were hurt, especially by someone you loved (who loved you very much).

It's true they did this to protect you and maybe in a weird way, you learned to question authority and not just believe everything you're told. At least, that's how I take it.

What I love about Stratovarius is that they aren't like a typical metal band. There was an interview with Koti about this:
"It's nice to see that you have noticed the difference. Actually, there was a television program yesterday on Finnish television, on that program was my recorded interview, and then there was someone else who was playing in a metal band in Finland who was commenting on what I said and he said that it was on the last album that we started writing about different things than Kings and dragons and I was like "AHHHHHHHHHH, you fucker! You never listened to our albums!"
*LOL*

They don't talk about sex and drugs and all kinds of "unacceptable" behavior, but they're still realistic about the mistakes we make in life. And Tolkki - someone I'd love to meet one day - recognizes that everyone has their own way of doing things. And while he tells us how he feels, he doesn't force us to do it his way.

And to the person - sorry I'm not directly quoting any members or this post would be HUGE - that said Tolkki's song "Dear God" is pretty rough, you're right. But I'm glad he took it into his solo album and not collecting it with his work with Stratovarius. I think that really tells us a lot about his feelings toward music and expressing himself. More power to him! \m/

After Kurt Cobain (of Nivana) shot himself, my sister became obsessed with him. Her room was covered with pictures, posters, drawings, etc. She was about my age (21) at the time. And now I'm beginning to get pictures of Timo Kotipelto (I realize he's just a SINGER, and not a GOD, though) and my parents are telling me not to be like her! *RE*

By the way, if I remember correctly, Koti's mother sings in a Church choir. Isn't it weird how he grew up in a household where metal wasn't really played and he ended up being one of the best metal singers right now? I think that says something. =)

And yes, do join us on the Kotipelto forum. We're a good group of enthusiasts. I've made some very good friends there very quickly! You'd fit right in.

And thank you, Strato forum members who have been very kind in integrating me here and also very respectful of my (and everyone else's) opinions. You guys are all great. =)

- M

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:55 am

Anyone who claims Strato is 'devils' music' is a dumb cunt and deserves to be punched in the face.

I fucking hate fundamentalists of any religion. Oddly, being Christian myself, I hate fundamentalist Christians more than anyone else, because they're giving a filthy name to God. Like those Catholic priests who are child molestors, they deserve the worst punishment of all.

I have absolutely no sympathy with their beliefs or reasoning. No person has the right to judge you on your personal views or habits. Didn't it say something like that in the Bible if I remember correctly? You will prevail.

Possessed by demons... please, spare me. I hate to say this, but your parents were the ones who needed the mental help, not you.

Fucking fundamentalists are destroying our faith. I've even felt it weakening in myself mostly due to them.

Sometimes I think atheists and agnostics have a point.

Edit: I'd really like to see what Timo Tolkki has to say about this subject. I'm sure he'd find it interesting.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:22 am

Hey man. I think Brittney spears and 50 cent is the devil's music... :D

If anything Strato is "heavenly" music...
I don't have a religion. I don't see it as real, but as just another part of society created by humans.
I'm sorry they burned your things. In fact I view that whole act of burning your music very violent in itself and disrespectful of you. Maybe they were trying to do something they thought would help you, but to me...that's just really heartbreaking. People just get corrupted so easily by society. I wish they would try to keep open minds.
Feel better. It's alright. Now you can have control over what you listen to. There are so many things I want to say to you, but I don't want to sound foolish...arrgggh...anyway, we're all here to listen and help out!
Ik wil in je been bijten!

StratoBOB

Post by StratoBOB » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:04 am

I thing you should defend your chose. You are grown enought to precise what is good or what isn't . If you please your parrents with no fighting what you like, they'll continue to rule your world, to rule your pesone. I'm sure soon you'll listen words like "oh, this boy isn't for you " or something similar.
Don't get me wrong I'm not preparing you for war with your family. I'm sure they are good people and all they do is to wish the best for you , but the best in their eyes if you unerstand what I mean.
Now , when you live away from home I thing they aren't aple to controll you as much as they were in the past. And I'm sure in the future you'll be more and more free. Just try to rule your life , we are pesons , not a robbots or slaves .
I remember when I was 17'n ( now I'm 31 years old :shock: ) I had some problems with my father. My mom died when I was 4 years old.After his dead my father become more worried about me. So, this wasn't a problem when I was younger but whit the time I tharted to feel his protection as a cage . So, my saving step was when I leave my home as you did . First few months was hard, was boring but after a year, or two I felt that my father started to accept myself as a grwon person . Well, he wasn't so inside in the religion as your parrents are and for me was easyer to win ,my personality , but this shouldn't discourage you.
By the way , without the music (I listened some young bands in these times as Metallica, Megadeth, Testament and Helloween) I thing I was lost because with this kind of music I felt unison with my soul. And the music helped me as the music helped you in your problem I thing.
By the way , your choose is great . Stratovarius have many positive feelings in their albums, much energy and hope .

Best wishes, Bob

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:49 pm

Hey destinygirl,

That's quite a sad story to hear, i'm sorry you had to go through all that...what religious beliefs do your parents have???? I mean you can't walk through the streets these days without seeing something sinful!!(movie billboards, shop promotions etc etc) how do your parents cope???

I think most people here know i'm a Christian (if you don't, you do now) and i agree with what browneyedgirl said about the lyrics being peaceful and harmonic, ok some of the tracks aren't really for Christians, but most of them are in no way heavy or against Christianity, i can think of far worse bands you could be listening to! Anyway i love Stratovarius, most of my mates who are Christians don't like much metal, but they've easily listened to Strato.

Hope this helps.

Nige
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Heiserich

Post by Heiserich » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:23 pm

Man, the most things I could have said to that have already been posted. It's really a good community here.

Thing to add:
There are so many metal-bands that have very positive expressions in their lyrics, some even explicitly christian, that I still can't really understand how someone could consider metal as satanistic as a whole. Everyone who does that must be unable or unwilling to really look into that topic. See Helloween f.i.: They have explicitly christian lyrics on almost all of their albums, but a christian artist refused to paint a cover for them, because the got "hell" in their name :?
And Iron Maiden: Number of the Beast is not a satanistic song, if you read the lyrics. Actually I don't know any satanistic songs from them. Every time they turn serious in their lyrics, it sounds more like the opposite (Revelations on Peace of Mind for instance). However, they weren't allowed to play in Chile a few years ago, because the government considered them as "dangerous".

Humen who are unstable and deeply scared inside always have to create black-and-white - categories. They are pitiful, not necessary bad people, but one must not let them influence one's own opinion.

Trust in your intuition and your own reason.
Life can only be understood in reverse
But must be lived forwards...
I'm losing my senses, I'm losing my senses

D. Mustaine

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:47 pm

Heiserich wrote:Man, the most things I could have said to that have already been posted. It's really a good community here.

Thing to add:
There are so many metal-bands that have very positive expressions in their lyrics, some even explicitly christian, that I still can't really understand how someone could consider metal as satanistic as a whole. Everyone who does that must be unable or unwilling to really look into that topic. See Helloween f.i.: They have explicitly christian lyrics on almost all of their albums, but a christian artist refused to paint a cover for them, because the got "hell" in their name :?
And Iron Maiden: Number of the Beast is not a satanistic song, if you read the lyrics. Actually I don't know any satanistic songs from them. Every time they turn serious in their lyrics, it sounds more like the opposite (Revelations on Peace of Mind for instance). However, they weren't allowed to play in Chile a few years ago, because the government considered them as "dangerous".

Humen who are unstable and deeply scared inside always have to create black-and-white - categories. They are pitiful, not necessary bad people, but one must not let them influence one's own opinion.

Number Of The Beast sings about the number of the beast doesn't it??? They may not be satanistic but it sure is promoting the devil in a way. but i agree i can learn a lot from their other songs, the thing i don't like about them is that they don't take their own lyrics seriously!
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:49 pm

Strato is perkele metal...or well, perkele hope metal, 100% perkele is Impaled nazarene hehe...

Anyway...i had almost the same experience but with me was Iron Maiden that showed the devil's path, i lost some t-shirts, was kicked to go into the church, well...simple, these things didnt worked and never will.

Religion sucks...its the biggest whore in the mankind history...check if in every old history or facts involving money/power religion wasnt there to get her part of the cake. :?
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

destinygirl

Post by destinygirl » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:21 pm

Thanks to everyone for your precious support so far!! You guys & gals have cheered me up by all of your nice and understanding posts!! So a B-I-G-T-H-A-N-K-Y-O-U goes out for everyone who either read or replied to my post!!

YOU ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST ! ! ! :)

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:03 pm

htcdude wrote:
Heiserich wrote:Man, the most things I could have said to that have already been posted. It's really a good community here.

Thing to add:

Number Of The Beast sings about the number of the beast doesn't it??? They may not be satanistic but it sure is promoting the devil in a way. but i agree i can learn a lot from their other songs, the thing i don't like about them is that they don't take their own lyrics seriously!
Hey, isn't the "real" number of the beast 616 now or something? So they got it wrong ANYWAY! ahahaha... :D
Ik wil in je been bijten!

one

Post by one » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:08 pm

I can't imagine what you've gone through.

If you want you could simply just show your parents some lyrics of stratovarius. Especially destinys, which poster they took away, lyrics don't confick - in my opinion - with Christian view of life at all. (Except this particular part in Anthem of the world: How about if God just let us down? If he just is polishing his crown?, but ofcourse you can skip that part :wink:)

You said your parents are religios. Then I'm sure they know that paragraph in Bible about not to jugde each other.

There is always Hope! :D

Keep on fighting!!
Every man dies, not every man really lives.

Heiserich

Post by Heiserich » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:38 pm

htcdude wrote:Number Of The Beast sings about the number of the beast doesn't it??? They may not be satanistic but it sure is promoting the devil in a way. but i agree i can learn a lot from their other songs, the thing i don't like about them is that they don't take their own lyrics seriously!
1. Yes, it is about the number of the beast (perhaps the wrong one, haha), but it doesn't really promote it or what stands behind it, does it? "This can't go on, I must inform the law... but I feel drawn towards the evil chanting hordes, they seem to mesmerize me... can't avoid their eyes". Somehow it doesn't sound like the person in the song was really amused about what happens.

2. They don't take their lyrics seriously? Have they said this in an interview? I did not have the impression that songs like "The dream of Mirrors", "Blood Brothers" or "Paschendale" are just some fun-stuff. Their is very much "message" in them. "Blood Brothers" is actually one of the best songs I know, with regards to the music as well as to the lyrics.
Life can only be understood in reverse
But must be lived forwards...
I'm losing my senses, I'm losing my senses

D. Mustaine