Myötätuulirock Review (Stratovarius et al.)

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
nero9000
Myötätuulirock Review (Stratovarius et al.)

Post by nero9000 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:06 pm

Yesterday I went to the Finnish festival Myötätuulirock. Here's my review:

Immediately after getting to the festival area, I was thoroughly investigated by a female security guard, After which I was forced to throw my juice all over the ground. Apparently they didn't allow opened bottles at the festival, because of fear of people drinking alcohol at a festival. Maybe she should've tasted my juice instead of spilling it all over the ground? Oh well, I did get in and already I had gotten some action.

More action came with the day's first act Altaria. Altaria started a bit late, and from the get-go it was hard to tell who was more immobile, the band or the audience. Well, there was an explanation to that. The band's lack of movement can be partly explained by their rather ample girth, and truthfully, it was the only the first few rows of the audience that was uninspired by the perfromance. There was a bunch of early-bird goth-fans who had already reserved the front-row well in time for the evening's last act 69-Eyes. These poor people looked so lost out there: "What is this terrible, ballsy noise coming from these strange men? What? Heavy Metal? Why are the people behind us showing their fists at the poor band? Do they want to hurt them? What is this strange light emanating from the sky? It's burning..."
Anyway, the rest of the crowd at least was into it, clapping and raising fists at vocalist Taage's request. Sadly, gorgeous guitar-heroes Jani Liimatainen and Emppu Wuorinen were no longer with the band, but they were ably replaced by the man from Cryon himself, J-P formerly from Celesty, and some guy with a terrible haircut.
My fellow True-Finn Taage himself was in fine form, although he made one mistake during the song "Unicorn". He sang "universe", when it's supposed to be "uniwerse", of course. At some point Taage also explained the band's lateness as their car had apparently had broken down. Perhaps a sturdier vehicle is in order for the next gig...
No harm done, except there was a lot of harm, as Altaria had to cut down their setlist with a few songs. But here's what they played:
Altaria setlist:
1. Showdown
2. Unicorn
3. Valley of Rainbows
4. Prophet of Pestilence
5. Unchain the Rain
6. History of Times to Come
7. Frozen Hearts
8. Fire & Ice

I skipped the Finnish Iskelmä-band and emotional gothic girl-ticklers and came back in time for Finnish metal-legends Tarot. Tarot were in fine form, starting out with Crawlspace, before blasting out into their huge video-hit/live-favorite Wings of Darkness. Already? Shouldn't this song be the encore or last song on the set? Were Tarot going to play a two song set? Luckily not, as next up was a song I hadn't heard before, but which was called Back in the Fire. What a great song it was, made all the more greater with Tarot's "new" member, Tommi "Tuplebasari" Salmela on the vocals. That's right, backing vocalist Tuple is now a real Tarot-member, and has earned his rightful spot on the stage. And what a great frontman he is! His golden voice is combined with amazing charisma into one huge pot of world-class performer. Tuple doesn't lose anything to the Voice of Finland, Mr. Marco Hietala himself. Who could imagine Finland's two perhaprs greatest singers would sing in the same band? A bit of a waste, in a way, but great ear-candy nonetheless. Here's hoping rising Finnish power-metallists Cardiant, featuring Tuple himself, get some exposure and a decent non-Italian record deal. Anyway, Tarot played a very impressive gig, with set highlights including newer hits such as Pyre of Gods, and chart-topper You, before finishing off with a killer performance of I Rule. Truly the Hietala brothers are natural-born superstars. And they have great hair. Sadly, no Kyösti or Beo in the setlist.
Tarot setlist:
1. Crawlspace
2. Wings of Darkness
3. Back in the Fire
4. Do You Wanna Live Forever
5. Angels of Pain
6. You
7. Veteran of Psychic Wars (Thanks to Weekend Warrior. I didn't recognize this song)
8. Pyre of Gods
9. Descendants of Power
10. Lady deceiver
11. Ride of the Last Day
12. I Rule

Next up was another Finnish legend in Amorphis, who have gone through a complete rebirth. After several mediocre efforts, the new album Eclipse brings the band back to their Kalevala-roots, and back into the top of the metal world. New singer Tomi "The Swan" Joutsen may look like some random mexican adonis with his fishstick-moustache, but this man is a great singer, and has a growl that makes him sound like Perkele himself. Also, his long dreadlocks make sure he'll never be trapped in a tower.
I'm not familiar with all of Amorphis' material, but about half of the setlist was from the new album. Surprising confidence in the new material. I guess it's been a big hit. Of course the set also included classics such as Against Widows and My Kantele.
Amorphis setlist:
1. Something from Eclipse, I think. Leaves Scar?
2. House of Sleep
3. Against Widows
4. In the Beginning
5. Divinity
6. Under a Soil and Black Stone
7. Perkele
8. The Smoke
9. Sign From the North Side
10. My Kantele
11. Some song I didn't recognize
12. Cast Away

The festival saved the best for last. Stratovarius was the band I had been most looking forward to, and they did not disappoint. First song Hunting High and Low gave hint of the upcoming triumph of double-bass drums and guitar/keyboard tilulilu. Songs such as Speed of Light and Father Time, which sound a lot better live then in the studio, made sure the tempo was kept up during the gig. The only down-time came with the ballad-streak of The Land of Ice and Snow and Will My Soul Ever Rest in Peace. Oh well, at least The Land of Ice and Snow seems to have replaced the acoustic yawn Forever from the setlist. At least this ballad has a kickass military drum.
The band went back into high gear towards the end of the gig, climaxing of course with the mandatory Black Diamond. Hearing this song live leaves no doubt as to why it's such a huge hit and crowd-favorite. It did seem like Timo Tolkki wasn't very excited to play this song for the umpteenth time, though. After 10 years it's understandable, I guess. But it could be worse, Timo. You could be in Black Sabbath or Deep Purple, so look on the bright side.
Stratovarius setlist:
1. Hunting High and Low
2. Paradise
3. Speed of Light
4. Kiss of Judas
5. Eagleheart
6. A Million Lightyears Away
7. Father Time
8. The Land of Ice and Snow
9. Will My Soul Ever Rest in Peace?
10. Phoenix
11. Fight
12. Black Diamond

All in all a great festival and worth the travel. Even if there weren't any foreign stars, the festival had two of the original Finnish metal-exports and the first ever Finnish world-class level band (Tarot). A great cultural achievement by Myötätuuli.

Lapazeus

Re: Myötätuulirock Review (Stratovarius et al.)

Post by Lapazeus » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:19 pm

For everyone's information: tilulilu = shredding :D

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:27 am

Thanks for your review.
They played "Paradise" again? :shock:
I believed that TT didn't like to play it at all live, as i had hear from someone... :roll:
That's a good thing if they've changed their vision about this song, and that play it again live! I wish i can hear it full next time i'll see them! :)
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

Marimon

Post by Marimon » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:38 pm

I was there too. It was very good show and I were able to get in front line :D
And I'm glad that sun didn't shine so hardly as it did earlier (it was hot as hell). I left before the 69 eyes started playing because I don't like the band very much. But it was very successful trip and was worth travelling a long way 8)
Jos hyppäät laskuvarjolla, eikä se aukea, ja ystäväsi ovat katselemassa, - niin voisi olla hauska temppu, jos esittäisit uintiliikkeitä.

Electric Eye

Post by Electric Eye » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:53 pm

wow! Land Of Ice And Snow and Fight! I wondef if they ever play Leave The Tribe...
So where does the power come from to see the race to its end?
From within.

ElDiablo

Post by ElDiablo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:00 am

Pictures from Myötätuuli now online here: http://www.metalscope.net
Or directly by clickin this
'Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses' - Arthur C. Clarke

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:23 am

ElDiablo wrote:Pictures from Myötätuuli now online here: http://www.metalscope.net
Or directly by clickin this
Really excellent work again with the pics ElDiablo. You are an expert of photographing bands. 8)
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

eternity_strato

Post by eternity_strato » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:50 pm

I think that there are many songs that could work perfect live and they don't play them.

What about "just carry on"? I'd kill for that one :lol:

Marimon

Post by Marimon » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:34 am

I would kill for Winter,Papillon,Season of Change or Eternity. 8)
Jos hyppäät laskuvarjolla, eikä se aukea, ja ystäväsi ovat katselemassa, - niin voisi olla hauska temppu, jos esittäisit uintiliikkeitä.