Stratovarius 2006 - What's going on??

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
stratohawk
Re: Stratovarius 2006 - What's going on??

Post by stratohawk » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:07 pm

FakeTolkki wrote:.he should end stratovarius and make a solo carrer.... :x maybe strato should have ended in the elements album
yah, well, then stop listening to them. :P I liked the last album very much, and I think if they take their time for the next record, it can be a big positive suprise to every one! I'm very optimistic about it.
By the way, I agree to you, that the albums like Episode or Visions, where Kotipelto had also some influences where the best albums. But we'll see what the future will bring...

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:30 pm

FakeTolkki wrote:it may be to early but im very disapointed...look at visions or episode....kotipelto and johansson made some of the music and together with tolkki made those increadible albuns...tolkki is a genious and he made the best strato songs, but when he does all the material it sounds something predictable like the last album....he should end stratovarius and make a solo carrer.... :x maybe strato should have ended in the elements album
That´s his and their decision what to with Strato, now it seems they´ll gonna continue but make thing slowly.

In my opinion Tolkki is better composer than both Kotipelto and Johansson (except Jens´s solos, but they´re too different to compare). So that doesn´t bother me at all, although it could be nice to hear some Kotipelto´s or Lauri´s songs in Strato too.

By the way, Jens wrote nothing for Episode or Visions. :!: :roll:
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:28 pm

FakeTolkki wrote:maybe strato should have ended in the elements album
No, they should have end their career to Destiny, or Infinite.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:56 pm

Stratofanius wrote:
FakeTolkki wrote:maybe strato should have ended in the elements album
No, they should have end their career to Destiny, or Infinite.
Do you want to start a discussion "when was the best point for Stratovarius to quit" now? Where's the point? Every band has good and bad phases, every band has its "best album ever", which cannot be topped. But this does not mean that the band shouldn't continue, does it? Even if Stratovarius would not release a new album in the next ten years, they are still such a fucking good live band that I would visit every gig they'd play. They have tons of songs that can be played. :)

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:00 am

I bet the music will be composed by Tolkki, but the writing lyrics will be done by others too. That would be logical and fully acceptable as it's true that Tolkki is the best in music composing, but hearing lyrics from the rest of the band would be good too.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

IceBreaker

Post by IceBreaker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:11 am

Beast_Pete wrote:I bet the music will be composed by Tolkki, but the writing lyrics will be done by others too. That would be logical and fully acceptable as it's true that Tolkki is the best in music composing, but hearing lyrics from the rest of the band would be good too.
Agreed and also guessed with 100 %. :)
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

MetalPlatypus

Post by MetalPlatypus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:16 pm

FakeTolkki wrote:it may be to early but im very disapointed...look at visions or episode....kotipelto and johansson made some of the music and together with tolkki made those increadible albuns...tolkki is a genious and he made the best strato songs, but when he does all the material it sounds something predictable like the last album....he should end stratovarius and make a solo carrer.... :x maybe strato should have ended in the elements album
Visions and Episode have 22 songs, from which Tolkki composed 21. Notice that composing means that he also wrote the melodies. Richard Johnson (some kind of vocal consultant) wrote 2 lyrics and Kotipelto 9 lyrics. Tolkki wrote 11 lyrics.
Also I think on the last album, Kotipelto wrote some lyrics and Johansson as well.
I became curious after your post, so it seems that Tolkki wrote 110 songs, Johansson wrote 4 songs and Kotipelto wrote 3 songs in Stratovarius.
So my friend, your theory about Visions or Episode is not entirely true.

MetalPlatypus

Post by MetalPlatypus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:22 pm

Beast_Pete wrote:I bet the music will be composed by Tolkki, but the writing lyrics will be done by others too. That would be logical and fully acceptable as it's true that Tolkki is the best in music composing, but hearing lyrics from the rest of the band would be good too.
Looking at his statement, I don´t think there will be lyrics or music from other members. Being a longtime fan, it seems that around Infinite, Tolkki seems to have gone through somekind of spiritual awakening. That would explain why he would want to do all the lyrics himself. Tolkki´s and Kotipelto´s lyrics are very different from each others.

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:42 pm

MetalPlatypus wrote:Johansson wrote 4 songs
Actually Jens has made 5 songs for strato (Run Away, Glory of the World, Keep the Flame, Why Are We Here, Ride Like the Wind)

MetalPlatypus

Post by MetalPlatypus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:26 pm

Stratofanius wrote:
MetalPlatypus wrote:Johansson wrote 4 songs
Actually Jens has made 5 songs for strato (Run Away, Glory of the World, Keep the Flame, Why Are We Here, Ride Like the Wind)
That´s true, I forgot Ride like the wind. Anyway here are the final statistics:

TOLKKI wrote 113 songs wrote 90 lyrics
JOHANSSON wrote 5 songs wrote 6 lyrics
KOTIPELTO wrote 3 songs wrote 24 lyrics

I don´t think there is any doubt that Strato is completely Tolkki´s band. In the same way than Nightwish is Holopainen´s band. I am personally happy about that, since based on Kotipelto´s solo records, I don´t think he is good enough composer for Strato. His solo records sound to me like without dynamics. The songs don´t really stay in your mind and I don´t usually remember the songs. There are some very good songs like Reasons and Beauty has come, but most songs I don´t like. But this is just my opinion, so please don´t kill me for that. I think he is perfect for Stratovarius, but maybe that is not enough for him. On the other hand, he is doing solo records where he can do everything, so there should be no problems.

IceBreaker

Post by IceBreaker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:41 pm

Agreed again, now with Platypus about Kotipelto´s solo songs. There´re lacking something in them and you´re right that they don´t stay on mind very well. But for sure he is writing different style songs, more simplier and classical "old-skool" metal oriented.

FakeTolkki

Post by FakeTolkki » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:58 pm

kotipelto made black diamond together with tolkki, music and lyrics...tolkki is a far better composer than koipelto but i think that koti should at least write some of the lyrics, and thats not happening since visions. He writes only the smaller parts of the songs

MetalPlatypus

Post by MetalPlatypus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:18 pm

FakeTolkki wrote:kotipelto made black diamond together with tolkki, music and lyrics...tolkki is a far better composer than koipelto but i think that koti should at least write some of the lyrics, and thats not happening since visions. He writes only the smaller parts of the songs
Not true. Black Diamond was written by Tolkki. Lyrics by Kotipelto. You might refer to Visions booklet, which has lots of mistakes. In one side says Visions and one side Vision. I have a Japanese version, where the infos are correct. I remember reading an interview, where Tolki said that even when Kotipelto does lyrics to his songs, the song title is Tolkki´s. I also read that he composes by choosing a song title first.
Kotipelto did write lyrics after Visions. On Destiny, he wrote SOS,No Turning Back and Playing with Fire.
Like I said, the reason might be that Kotipelto seems not to be very spiritual person, while Tolkki´s lyrics since Infinite are very spiritual.

IceBreaker

Post by IceBreaker » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:21 pm

Fake´s infos about the composers have been now so incorrect that it looks just behaving like a troll, although that I don´t believe as he is an old member etc.

anyway, Kotipelto wrote the lyrics partly to Hunting High & Low and Eagleheart too.

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:33 pm

MetalPlatypus wrote: Like I said, the reason might be that Kotipelto seems not to be very spiritual person, while Tolkki´s lyrics since Infinite are very spiritual.
Have you already met the guys for judging like that? :roll:

I've met them with some friends, several times, and i have to say that the both Timos are very spiritual! And it's not only a matter of lyrics and so on!
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

MetalPlatypus

Post by MetalPlatypus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:38 pm

Patricia wrote:
MetalPlatypus wrote: Like I said, the reason might be that Kotipelto seems not to be very spiritual person, while Tolkki´s lyrics since Infinite are very spiritual.
Have you already met the guys for judging like that? :roll:

I've met them with some friends, several times, and i have to say that the both Timos are very spiritual! And it's not only a matter of lyrics and so on!
I am not judging. There is nothing wrong being non spiritual person.
And if Kotipelto would be, then I am sure it would show in his lyrics as well.

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:41 pm

MetalPlatypus wrote: I am not judging. There is nothing wrong being non spiritual person.
And if Kotipelto would be, then I am sure it would show in his lyrics as well.
That's your opinion, and i've mine too which is different.
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:42 pm

In fact I have to say that I like more Kotipelto's lyrics, Tolkki's lyrics are too... cheesy.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:40 pm

a funny discussion in which we got here. well, at least thanks to MetalPlatypus for counting those figures out. :wink: Besides, what's wrong with Stratovarius being "Tolkki's band"? It always has been like that. Of course I like also Kotipelto's lyrics and songs, and IMO it would be an enrichment if he and Jens can participate in the songwriting. But I don't know wether we can say only their participation will form an absolutely genious album again or not.

MetalPlatypus

Post by MetalPlatypus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:11 pm

Stratofanius wrote:In fact I have to say that I like more Kotipelto's lyrics, Tolkki's lyrics are too... cheesy.
I have seen this description many times. But I don´t understand what it means?
Could you explain what you mean with "cheesy"? Many people seem to describe the music of Strato with this word.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:14 pm

MetalPlatypus wrote:
Stratofanius wrote:In fact I have to say that I like more Kotipelto's lyrics, Tolkki's lyrics are too... cheesy.
I have seen this description many times. But I don´t understand what it means?
Could you explain what you mean with "cheesy"? Many people seem to describe the music of Strato with this word.
IMO Tolkki's lyrics are more of a serious and deepgoing kind. I don't understand why someone would call them cheesy.

MetalPlatypus

Post by MetalPlatypus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:48 pm

But what does "cheesy" mean?

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:51 pm

something like cheap.

MetalPlatypus

Post by MetalPlatypus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:55 pm

stratohawk wrote:something like cheap.
Cheap? I´m afraid I still don´t understand...

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:05 pm

MetalPlatypus wrote:
8) it means something like uninspired, average, etc.

MetalPlatypus

Post by MetalPlatypus » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:15 pm

stratohawk wrote:
MetalPlatypus wrote:
Oh I see. Well I have to disagree. I think both Timo´s write great lyrics, but
very different from each other.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:18 pm

MetalPlatypus wrote:
stratohawk wrote:
MetalPlatypus wrote:
Yes, I even like Tolkki's lyrics more. Dunno how someone can call them cheesy.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:20 pm

stratohawk wrote:
MetalPlatypus wrote:
stratohawk wrote:
MetalPlatypus wrote:
Yes, I even like Tolkki's lyrics more. Dunno how someone can call them cheesy.
Maybe they are utopic(or generally talking about things that are hard to happen? You know, like Fantasia is for example (not the demo version :P )

FakeTolkki

Post by FakeTolkki » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:01 am

well, i think that if the band components like koti or jens were happier, the chemestry between then and tolkki would be better and that way they would made better albuns....tolkki is a genious, but the point is, koti is not his friend anymore, since a long time, and thats the reason why strato never made an excelent album again, only good albuns.

MetalPlatypus

Post by MetalPlatypus » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:30 am

FakeTolkki wrote:well, i think that if the band components like koti or jens were happier, the chemestry between then and tolkki would be better and that way they would made better albuns....tolkki is a genious, but the point is, koti is not his friend anymore, since a long time, and thats the reason why strato never made an excelent album again, only good albuns.
So first you said that the reason they don´t make good albums was that Kotipelto and Johansson don´t participate in the composing. Then I demonstrated to you that they never really did that much. And now you say that they don´t make good albums anymore because Kotipelto is not Tolkki´s friend anymore?
Just try to remember that you don´t know the absolute truth and there are many of us who do like Destiny, Infinite, both Elements and the new record.
Have you seen them live on the last tour? The band has never looked happier on stage or had more fun.