Stratovarius @ House of Blues; Hollywood, CA 10/4/06

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
brought2ubyletterC
Stratovarius @ House of Blues; Hollywood, CA 10/4/06

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:25 am

OK, looks like I'm the first person on the board back from the Strato gig so I'll take the responsibility of writing the first review. :lol:

So everyone already knows how long I've been looking forward to this show---since last year, when I saw them last! I tell you, once you get a Strato show in your veins, it is like a drug---as many years as I went without ever seeing Strato live, I used to think that once I saw them live that I would be satiated and that would be enough. Wrong! Once I saw Strato, I wanted to see them twice. Then again, and again. Very addictive. I could see this band a thousand times and NEVER get tired. They could do the same setlist night after night during these thousand times, and I would STILL never get bored!

Needless to say, when I found out that Strato would be playing again the night before my birthday, no one needed to ask what my plans would be or what I wanted as a gift.

I have to tell you, my 27th year of life has been a great one. I started out the year with Strato, and I was lucky enough to end it with them. My final night as a 27-year-old would be memorable, indeed. This show, like the ones last year, were my birthday presents to myself, and honestly, I would not mind if this were to become an annual tradition.

Anyway, on to the details...

Today started off as normally as any other, except that I knew by the end of the night I would have my world rocked by Strato once again. My friend who went with me to the gigs last year agreed to go with me to this one as well. I was glad, because one of the things that sucks about not being able to drive, is always having to look for a companion willing to go with you to gigs. So she picked me up at 5:30 and we were on our way.

Traffic was a b*tch! Welcome back to L.A. Even though I was staying only about 30 minutes from the venue, we didn't get there until 7:20! Talk about standstill traffic!

Once the House of Blues was within my sight, I was really psyched. My friend had her car taken by valet while I tried to figure out why my wheelchair was disassembled in many different pieces. Usually it is easy for me to put back together, but when you have an attendant trying to help you that does not speak English, it is hard to explain to him that this piece does not go there, etc. So after what seemed an endless struggle to put it back together, we made our way to the door and to Strato.

When we got inside, another attendant (thankfully, one that spoke English) offered to guide us to where we needed to go. I noticed the merchandise booth nearby and asked if I could buy a shirt before we went upstairs to the balcony area. He said yes, and told us to meet him by the stairs when we were ready.

So we get to the merchandise booth, and who do I see there but Burning Reflection?! Yay! He had saved a place in line for me like he had promised, but as we barely showed up a few minutes before, there had been no need for him to do it. But it was still nice of him anyway. So while I was buying a shirt, the attendant came back and told my friend that he would be unable to get us up to the balcony, so if it was OK, could he put us near the front instead? Would it be OK with me? It wouldn't have been if the only other alternative would have been sitting on the stage! :lol:

After that, I invited Burning Reflection to join us at a good spot near the stage. He walked with us there but afterwards left to socialize with other folks. So my friend and I waited a little while before the opening act came on at about 8:30.

The opening act was a band called Point Zero, and I only remember two things about them: the singer looked like Bam Margera, and they really sucked. Onward.

After the sh*tty opening act, the crowd was really pumped for Strato. People started shaking their fists in the air and chanting "Stratovarius!" repeatedly. This only intensified when behind the curtain, we could hear the techs fiddling with the equipment. Even though it was only about 25-30 minutes between the two sets, it felt like a lifetime, and every moment closer only heightened the anticipation.

Finally, just when it seemed like Strato would never come onstage, the lights dimmed, the curtain went up, and...game on!
Hunting High & Low
Black Diamond
Kiss of Judas
S.O.S.
The Abyss of Your Eyes
Speed of Light
A Million Light Years Away
Distant Skies
Will My Soul Ever Rest In Peace
Visions
Phoenix
Eagleheart
Forever
Paradise
Father Time
I swear, this show was f*ckin' amazing. From beginning to end, it never let up. Everyone was spot on, every song as intense as the last one. When they did "The Abyss of Your Eyes" about 3 or 4 songs in the set, I swear if I had died right then I would have been buried a happy woman. That is my favorite Strato song and I could not have asked for a better birthday present. (Then right after that, they went straight into "Phoenix", which is my boyfriend's favorite song---even though he could not be with me this night, I rocked out extra hard for him.)

Another highlight for me was "Will my Soul Ever Rest in Peace?". That's another one of my favorites, and the performance was so heartfelt that if anyone was not moved by it, then they have a heart made of stone. "Visions" was also another special treat, as well as "S.O.S.". There was no Lauri bass solo, but if that's the only "disappointment" of the show, it's a minor one at that. Really, the entire show was a highlight. Every single song was a joy to hear, and while I knew which ones they were going to do, it's something entirely different when you get to hear them for yourself and not have to read a review about it. I must have looked like a f*cking idiot, as much as I smiled and felt happy throughout the show. I know it's not very metal to smile much or make like things make you happy, but I don't give a sh*t. It's also very metal not to give a sh*t what others think. :lol:

Everyone in the band looked great; at the end of the moving songs, Tolkki would put his hand to his heart, almost as if he were feeling the intensity as well (which he probably was). Timo K. was amazing vocally as well. He also pointed at me a couple of times, I think he remembered me from last year's shows. Awesome. Lauri came to our side of the stage quite a bit (we were on Tolkki's side of the stage---once again I'm standing right in front of him!), that was fun.

Then at the end of the show, the band comes out to throw picks and drumsticks, etc. Jorg's drumstick flew right over my head, so I sort of ducked because I knew it was going too far for me to catch it, but not far enough to where it might not stop from clocking me in the head. Meanwhile, Jens and Jorg had a nice little belching contest, which was hilarious. I mean, aren't these the reasons why Strato shows are a necessity in life? :lol:

So when the show ended, it was barely past 11. This was another minor "disappointment", because they had only started at 9:30, and honestly, I felt I could go another hour!

A few minutes later, we decide to go outside to get the car and get some fresh air. I run into Burning again and we say our goodbyes. He tells me that the band is probably going to be coming out to sign stuff. I would LOVE to stay, so I ask my friend if she would like to hang out a while. She sadly informs me that she has to get up early tomorrow morning (you know, suck-ass real life things like work!), and we probably should be heading home. I'm a little---no, a LOT---bummed by this, but as she's the driver, what can I do? This is another disadvantage to not being able to drive---I'm always at the mercy of someone else's schedule and whatever I may want to do is secondary. :( So we said goodbye to Burning, and headed home.

You know, I wish this review was longer and more detailed, but really..."What Can I Say" that hasn't been said before? As much as I could write, there are no words to express what a Strato show is like and how great it is. All I can say is, be warned...if you have never been to a Strato show, be prepared for the fact that one is not enough. You will want more. And even while they are still playing, you still want more. I don't think anyone objected when Timo K. asked the crowd several times during the show if they wanted to hear more. I don't think anyone left that show immune from being a Strato junkie. I know I sure as f*ck am not!

And of course, when the show ended, Timo K. said they would be back soon, "whenever that is". Let me tell you, even if it was tomorrow, it's not soon enough for me!

AMBR@BEC

Re: Stratovarius @ House of Blues; Hollywood, CA 10/4/06

Post by AMBR@BEC » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:40 am

brought2ubyletterC wrote:Timo K. was amazing vocally as well. He also pointed at me a couple of times, I think he remembered me from last year's shows.
And of course, when the show ended, Timo K. said they would be back soon, "whenever that is". Let me tell you, even if it was tomorrow, it's not soon enough for me!
I told him to look for you. Glad he remembered. Super that you had such an excellent time. Tolkki said they were definitley going to come back after the next cd is released, but it won't be until the end of next year, the earliest. We will have to be patient.....or go overseas. :wink: Wacken's looking pretty good right now. :lol:
“He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool” A. Camus

Beyond Ear Candy Metal Radio
beyondearcandy.com
Photos from 2008 Winter NAMM and Blog on Ben in Iraq on MySpace myspace.com/ambr_bec

Leda Soares

Post by Leda Soares » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:39 pm

It was just great to read such an emotional report...
Reading it sometimes I felt like I could have written this statement! :D
Because that is my feeling too when I go to a Strato show: one gig is not enough, ever!
I wish I can have the power to make the time to stop or to make the show runs over and over again...
Greetings from Brazil and kisses for you all!

Leda

I stand alone in the darkness.
The winter of my life came so fast.
Memories go back to my childhood
To days I still recall...

RycheMaiden666

Post by RycheMaiden666 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:18 pm

Wow...what an awesome review!!! I have to say that honestly, I am still in "Strato withdrawal" 4 days later!!! :lol:

Glad you had a great time!!! Should have our NYC pics up by this weekend, more eye candy for everyone!!! If the $$$ is good then Wacken it'll be for us too! 8)

BTW - Happy Birthday!!! :)
Deb
www.myspace.com/debmetalfury

Here in the shadows, in the twilight life is eternal and my past is forsaken...

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:53 pm

brought2ubyletterC wrote: I tell you, once you get a Strato show in your veins, it is like a drug---as many years as I went without ever seeing Strato live, I used to think that once I saw them live that I would be satiated and that would be enough. Wrong! Once I saw Strato, I wanted to see them twice. Then again, and again. Very addictive. I could see this band a thousand times and NEVER get tired. They could do the same setlist night after night during these thousand times, and I would STILL never get bored!
I couldn't say that better!
I've been getting Strato gigs since 1998 and I simply can't stop!
Last tour here in Brazil I went to 4 strato gigs in a week and at the end I felt they could have booked more dates :D

I'm glad you liked the gig! btw, happy birthday!
For a Strato fan, there couldn't be a better day to celebrate :wink:
Lady Elecktra - Warrioress and Keeper of the Light of Booga

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:03 pm

I wish they would quit playing the same setlist over and over again... My last strato gig was the one with Symphony X in Paris in April 2003 and I'm damn glad I was there cause I don't think they'll ever play stuff from the Elements live again.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:22 pm

Sounds like everyone had a great time. Maybe next time they will play more cities in USA&closer ones to the South. :D But, that is no excuse, I just could not take any more off days&no spare cash this year! :) Thats why I beg for pics, so I can get an idea of what a show is like&enjoy it that way! :D
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:21 pm

BEG, 2nd US Strato tour and you're missing it again?! Get your act together! :D
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:58 pm

Yeah, an awesome review. When reading the review I even felt that I could well be on the gig too > you´ve written it with so huge emotion. Huh,really I wish I´d be there too now. :lol:

And agree too that Strato-gigs are some way addictive. Even if the setlists were quite similar, you didn´t get tired seeing them. At least now as they have such a feeling on stage. 8)
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:17 pm

AMBR: Thanks for telling Timo K. to look for me. I'm glad his memory was "sparked". :lol:

Also glad to hear they may be back within the next year or so. This gives me time to learn how to f*ckin' drive, because I have to tell you, depending on companionship is not cutting it anymore. As much as I got my friend to like Strato, I can tell that she will probably not want to go with me to 2500 more shows like I'm planning on doing. :D

Thanks too for the birthday wishes, everyone. This indeed was a Strato fan's dream birthday celebration. Especially getting my all-time favorite song at the gig. Though even if they hadn't played that song, I know I would still be as happy.

LOL Ryche Maiden, I'm going through Strato withdrawals as well, and I just barely woke up! In fact, I had to go to sleep listening to Strato, because I knew I had to get up early, but man, I did not want the Strato goodness to end.

Browneyed: I understand how it is for you, I live over 2 hours away from L.A. and while that doesn't seem like much, it may as well be "A Million Light Years Away" because I cannot drive, so whenever I have to come to town, I need to find a means of transportation and then also a place to stay. So my financial situation does not always allow me to go to every show I want to. But luckily I was able to go to Strato. I don't think any of my loved ones would have let my birthday go by without helping me in some way to realize my fondest wish.

So I guess all in all, I came out of this show finally understanding what nymphomaniacs and drug addicts go through. :lol: Strato is my addiction! Except I would NEVER want to go to rehab for this one!

Deadheads have got NOTHING on Stratofans!

Dawn_is_Here

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:33 pm

Cristiane wrote:
brought2ubyletterC wrote: I tell you, once you get a Strato show in your veins, it is like a drug---as many years as I went without ever seeing Strato live, I used to think that once I saw them live that I would be satiated and that would be enough. Wrong! Once I saw Strato, I wanted to see them twice. Then again, and again. Very addictive. I could see this band a thousand times and NEVER get tired. They could do the same setlist night after night during these thousand times, and I would STILL never get bored!
I couldn't say that better!
I've been getting Strato gigs since 1998 and I simply can't stop!
Last tour here in Brazil I went to 4 strato gigs in a week and at the end I felt they could have booked more dates :D

I'm glad you liked the gig! btw, happy birthday!
For a Strato fan, there couldn't be a better day to celebrate :wink:
Absolutely true! When I read C's post, her words could have been mine!

@Criss: It's getting closer... :evil: :D

Rock On!
Drugs aren’t metal. Beer, however, can be served in all kinds of true metal ways. :D

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:02 am

Absolutely true! When I read C's post, her words could have been mine!
Thanks, I'm really glad you guys feel that way. When I write concert reviews, I really try my best to remember as many details as I can so that those of you reading can feel as if you were right there with me. I know for some, my concert reviews can be so detailed that they are very long and take a while to read (and perhaps boring to some, as well). When I said that every Strato fan would be with me in spirit, I really wanted to mean it. So I was very considerate of remembering as much as I could so you all could really be there in your imaginations, if not in reality.

bleedingking

Post by bleedingking » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:28 am

Great reviews!!

Last night was amazing. They changed the setlist around this time - same songs but the order was different. Black Diamond was playes as the setlist closer.
brought2ubyletterC wrote: After the sh*tty opening act, the crowd was really pumped for Strato. People started shaking their fists in the air and chanting "Stratovarius!" repeatedly.
:D Me and my friend (Asterothe on this forum) were the ones that started and kept the chanting 'Stratovarius!'. Even the between the Strato songs ;) We were in 2nd row in the middle. I was also fortunate the get my hands on jorg's drumstick that he used during the encores. I'm going to treasure that forever! We have met great people last night...

By the way, we got there pretty early and watched the sound-check behind the glass from the balcony. They played Twighlight Symphony along with Will my soul ever rest in peace and speed of light. That was also a real treat!

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:31 am

That was you guys? Cool!

Also very cool that you got to watch the sound check. Yet another thing I would have liked to do if I did not have to rely on someone else's schedule to get me to the show. If I had gone alone or had my own car, I would have come extra early as well.

Asterothe

Post by Asterothe » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:09 pm

Last night was amazing. We came to the venue before
5PM and the band was doing sound check! They played Twilight
symphony, will my sould ever rest in peace and speed
of light while we were there. It was so cool to see the
sound check.

The show was great , I had missed them a lot but the
number of people in the audience was disappointing. Last year
there were 2 south CA shows and either of them was muck more
crowded.

At the end of the show they didn't do Finnish counting this year.
First time I'm seeing them not to do it.

After the show Jens and Lauri went to teh Rainbow a la last year.

All in all it was a great concert and experience. I can't wait for the
new album and tour.
I'm still there, everywhere
I'm the dust in the wind
I'm the star in the northern sky
I never stayed anywhere
I'm the wind in the trees
Would you wait for me forever?

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:22 pm

NeonVomit wrote:BEG, 2nd US Strato tour and you're missing it again?! Get your act together! :D
Well, I actually did not plan on going this year. All the cities were waaaaaaay out of range. I am in the same situation as Neorave---living too far out in the sticks for any band of note to make an appearance. :lol: Maybe during the next world tour this \m/ metal lady will be able to make a show, hopefully. :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:41 pm

Asterothe wrote:At the end of the show they didn't do Finnish counting this year.
Maybe this tour is their "Changing Manners" tour. To leave the yks-kaks-kolme-neljä counting out and change Black Diamond´s place in the setlist. :wink:
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

Martine

Post by Martine » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:16 pm

Asterothe wrote:Maybe this tour is their "Changing Manners" tour. To leave the yks-kaks-kolme-neljä counting out and change Black Diamond´s place in the setlist. :wink:

Well, in Montreal they did the counting. Maybe they were fed up with counting until 4 and they expect us to do more next time :) They should follow up. Next time: from 5 to 10.
Martine, The Truly French Canadian
Martine, Une vraie canadienne française
http://www.myspace.com/martine42

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:00 pm

The show was awesome. They sped through all the classics.. seemed like the show went by too fast.....I loved SOS and Paradise...all very good songs. Got a Visions t-shirt and also met C at the show. I noticed you guys up in front (asteroth) cuz you guys had as much energy as I did at the show. Seeing Stratovarius is something very personal to me. Stratovarius satisfies my soul

brought2ubyletterC

Post by brought2ubyletterC » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:40 am

The show was great , I had missed them a lot but the
number of people in the audience was disappointing. Last year
there were 2 south CA shows and either of them was much more
crowded
Yeah, probably because there is no new album and most anyone who missed these shows this year did so because they figured it would all be the same setlist. Their loss!
At the end of the show they didn't do Finnish counting this year.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who was missing that!
After the show Jens and Lauri went to teh Rainbow a la last year.
Kinda figured they would; I hope Jens was able to eat his dinner in peace. :lol: I know he was a little mad at one of the Stratoboard folks for asking him for autographs while he was trying to eat after the show last year. (I don't even think he would have bothered Jens like that, but I know he had waited a long time and had a train to catch and it was his only chance to get sh*t signed if he was going to.)
I am in the same situation as Neorave---living too far out in the sticks for any band of note to make an appearance.
Yeah, that's pretty much like the town where I live, the only bands that come to my town are either bands that are on their way up or on their way down. :lol: More bands are starting to make stops in the town where I live, which is good, but I really doubt it is gaining enough of a large metal audience to where I would be lucky enough that Strato would put it on one of their tour stops. That would be the luckiest break, for them to play in the town where I live so I wouldn't have to worry about sh*t like I do when I come to the L.A. shows.
They sped through all the classics.. seemed like the show went by too fast.....
True, I know I easily could have stood another 45 minutes or hour of a show. Normally by the end of a show my feet are killing me and I want to faint dead away, but not the other night; I was surprisingly energetic. I tell ya, a shot of Stratohol works more wonders than any vitamin.
Stratovarius satisfies my soul
Amen to that, my Strato brother!

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:18 am

Dawn_is_Here wrote: @Criss: It's getting closer... :evil: :D
Yeah!! Me and my sister rocking around again! :twisted:
Lady Elecktra - Warrioress and Keeper of the Light of Booga

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery