Finnish "Guitar Heroes" Album

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
NeonVomit
Re: Finnish "Guitar Heroes" Album

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:35 am

But I guess guitar solos are part of rock. They are the opportunity to speak through the instrument.

Most players sadly use it as a chance to say things like 'look at how fast I can play!'
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Luther_Harkon

Post by Luther_Harkon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:27 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Most players sadly use it as a chance to say things like 'look at how fast I can play!'
Unfortunately, that's true
:headbang: Keep eatin metal & shittin chains :headbang:

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:18 pm

Well I cannot play my solos the same twice and I never considered myself as a "guitar hero". I mean, I never had a hydraulic riser or a tramboline. After playing guitar for 34 years and rock about 25 years you tend to move away from your whatever it is that you have developed. I tend to think that guitar solos are most of the time very boring and technical masturbation doesn´t interest me the least bit. Just for fun, listen to "Over the Mountain" of Ozzy/Randy Rhoads (Diary of a Madman) or anything from Gary Moore´s "Corridors of Power" or "Victims of the Future" (he did have a hydraulic riser tho, and I saw that gig and of course it didnt come down, which resulted in a very embarrasing incident in the form of ladder to bring our guitar hero down) and you will instantly feel the solos emotional depth yet technical aspect. The best instrumental for me is "For the love of God" by Steve Vai. It is such an emotional piece of music. I read that he was fasting a week before recording that and that he was in real big pain. You can hear that in this song.
You,Timo Tolkki are so excellent guitar player,your solos are so full of emotion :) your solos which are not as the same every time are the highlights of the gigs.

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:51 am

Luther_Harkon wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
Yes, but those are seldom regarded as good guitarist, just players who need a life :D

Take Jimmy Page, Slash, Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, those guys can play, REALLY fast some of them, yet they are considered better way guitarists than say Batio or Herman Li.
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Hellovarius the Simp

Post by Hellovarius the Simp » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:42 pm

I think Brian May is a good example of perfect soloing. He isn't fast, he doesn't use two handed tapping but he made excellent solos in Queen songs.
He has a song called Brighton Rock to show everybody what a unique player is he but there aren't 5minute long boring solos in his other songs.
Nothing to say.

Rantanen

Post by Rantanen » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:51 pm

stratoplayer wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:The best instrumental for me is "For the love of God" by Steve Vai. It is such an emotional piece of music. I read that he was fasting a week before recording that and that he was in real big pain. You can hear that in this song.
Tolkki, maybe you should fast for a week too, if not to conjure up any masterpiece of inspiration, but for your body weight. I'm saying this in good humour but also in the medical sense. To turn the fasting thing (which means to stay for a period of time without eating if anyone didn't get it) around, maybe a low calorie diet, which would be healthier than not eating at all.

Anyway, personally I'm feeling groggy and real shitty because of cold and fever. And I'm worried about my financial situation and disappointed in my own behaviour yesterday. (In real life) I know yesterday is gone but I have to deal with this thing. I have to learn to keep up to my personal standards and decisions. I can be a horrible selfish control freak sober, but also a mad rabid foaming animal when drunk. I'm sober now.

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:57 pm

Tolkki, maybe you should fast for a week too, if not to conjure up any masterpiece of inspiration, but for your body weight. I'm saying this in good humour but also in the medical sense. To turn the fasting thing (which means to stay for a period of time without eating if anyone didn't get it) around, maybe a low calorie diet, which would be healthier than not eating at all.
I´m just fine thanks, but maybe you should go to therapy because I think you might be really sick and I´m worried about your mental health.
I´m also worried about your asshole, so I would suggest daily enemas. I have heard that they purify your system. So just go to the pharmacy and ask for an enema pump and start pumping water daily to your asshole. I think you will feel a lot better. Also I think you should check your blood pressure, cholesterol levels and I think you smoke far too much. I also don´t like too much your clothes, you could change the shirt at least more often and your shoes are 3 years old. Please do all these for me, because I am an arrogant asshole who thinks how you should run your life. Would you please?

Lightyear

Post by Lightyear » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:12 pm

stratoplayer wrote:
Luther_Harkon wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
Yes, but those are seldom regarded as good guitarist, just players who need a life :D

Take Jimmy Page, Slash, Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, those guys can play, REALLY fast some of them, yet they are considered better way guitarists than say Batio or Herman Li.
Yeah It's not a speed contest, there's a lot more that defines a good guitarist. Speaking of Hermal Li, I don't know how good he is/is not, but it really doesn't matter does it ?

IMHO Dragonforce have some great songs.
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
is just a freight train coming your way

Rantanen

Post by Rantanen » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:25 am

TimoTolkki wrote:
I´m just fine thanks, but maybe you should go to therapy because I think you might be really sick and I´m worried about your mental health.
I´m also worried about your asshole, so I would suggest daily enemas. I have heard that they purify your system. So just go to the pharmacy and ask for an enema pump and start pumping water daily to your asshole. I think you will feel a lot better. Also I think you should check your blood pressure, cholesterol levels and I think you smoke far too much. I also don´t like too much your clothes, you could change the shirt at least more often and your shoes are 3 years old. Please do all these for me, because I am an arrogant asshole who thinks how you should run your life. Would you please?
I may smoke too much, yes, but I am also a well read asshole. My new black running shoes are about 3 WEEKS old and I can play guitar like a motherfucker. I had a confusing childhood, because my parents' work took the family from country to country and I changed school about 7 times before my 17th birthday. I don't usually go telling people how to live their life.

I think the rest of the world should have a bad conscience because I've had to swallow so much shit in my life. That's something that Eminem the rapper (Marshall Mathers) said as well, and I can identify with that. From roses to riches stories, difficult life and all. Typical story. I love nature and the countryside. The city life has its own positive points but generally it pisses me off. Too much too soon, that's all. I don't think I'm all that sick. My asshole works great. I fart a lot especially in the morning. Fart is still the funniest thing in the world. (South Park-humour)

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:01 am

I think the rest of the world should have a bad conscience because I've had to swallow so much shit in my life.
Classic!! As all narcisstic people, you think the world revolves around you.
You seem confusing, tasteless and you lack tact and empathy. You mainly always write about yourself.
Everybody has swallowed lot of shit in their lives. You are not unique specimen on earth but it seems you think you are. Change that shirt!!

Rantanen

Post by Rantanen » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:53 am

No way. I'm further in my way than you think or it may seem in my post. I write often stream of consciousness, what I'm feeling at the time. I was a good guy for so long, many can testify that, that I guess I have to make up for those years. One has to be selfish sometimes.

Look who's talking, too. Wasn't it you who had mental health problems in the past, was narcisstic and selfish, and only realized his illness later on after crashing down? (about 3 years ago). Man, I read your city.fi article where you threw the bottle of pills into the sea. I got a lot out of it, and understood it perfectly. Let's bury the hatchet shall we? (I still have the flu and it's irritating me. Haven't been physically ill for about a year.)

I can be empathetic if I want to. Correcting: if the situation arises, acting on the impulse of human feelings, not wanting to. I've learned to put up for myself. I'm not a bully but I have realized how cruel the world can be. I'm still young and aggressive, but not as naive as in the past years. I'm a creative person as well. I'm not exactly a cock sucking person. I'm still young and learning.

Many cool persons have had their lives "go downhill" because of social pressure. I'm not giving up without a fight.

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:44 pm

Rantanen wrote:No way. I'm further in my way than you think or it may seem in my post. I write often stream of consciousness, what I'm feeling at the time. I was a good guy for so long, many can testify that, that I guess I have to make up for those years. One has to be selfish sometimes.

Look who's talking, too. Wasn't it you who had mental health problems in the past, was narcisstic and selfish, and only realized his illness later on after crashing down? (about 3 years ago). Man, I read your city.fi article where you threw the bottle of pills into the sea. I got a lot out of it, and understood it perfectly. Let's bury the hatchet shall we? (I still have the flu and it's irritating me. Haven't been physically ill for about a year.)

I can be empathetic if I want to. Correcting: if the situation arises, acting on the impulse of human feelings, not wanting to. I've learned to put up for myself. I'm not a bully but I have realized how cruel the world can be. I'm still young and aggressive, but not as naive as in the past years. I'm a creative person as well. I'm not exactly a cock sucking person. I'm still young and learning.

Many cool persons have had their lives "go downhill" because of social pressure. I'm not giving up without a fight.
Don´t believe everything you read in the press. You know nothing about my illness if you don´t hear it straight from me. Good that you understand that you are young and aggressive. "I´m not exactly a cock sucking person" translates to "I am arrogant". But you will learn your lessons like everybody. In time. Not that I really care. But please change that shirt!! Please! Would you please? It really bothers ME!

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:28 pm

Öhm...
well, apart from this argument (I think I'm not concerned so I better be quiet! )
...I just read a bit through the thread, and first I though: Hm finnish guitar heroes album...better don't go on with reading because this will never be released here, but, I think...better ask:
Does somebody of you know, if there will be an export of this album into the rest of the world?
I tried to search for information with google, but it led me either back to Strato-Forum, or to metal from finland which didn't say anything of export or to another forum, where the same question was asked, but they didn't have an idea.
So maybe someone of you knows.
Lol, you know, Timo? for you took part in making it?
If someone could tell me I would be very glad.
Thanks in advance
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
I looked for love in an empty world
but all I found was hate

:)
Location:Third star to the right and straight on 'til morning.

Post by :) » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:03 pm

Rantanen wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
I may smoke too much, yes, but I am also a well read asshole. My new black running shoes are about 3 WEEKS old and I can play guitar like a motherfucker. I had a confusing childhood, because my parents' work took the family from country to country and I changed school about 7 times before my 17th birthday. I don't usually go telling people how to live their life.

I think the rest of the world should have a bad conscience because I've had to swallow so much shit in my life. That's something that Eminem the rapper (Marshall Mathers) said as well, and I can identify with that. From roses to riches stories, difficult life and all. Typical story. I love nature and the countryside. The city life has its own positive points but generally it pisses me off. Too much too soon, that's all. I don't think I'm all that sick. My asshole works great. I fart a lot especially in the morning. Fart is still the funniest thing in the world. (South Park-humour)

MY GOD! What a mind bendingly stupid conversation!!!!! I feel like i'm back in the third grade and kids are arguing over who gets to use the purple crayon first.... I would have thought that at 40--something you, timo, would have found something more productive to do with your time than squabble with random people on a data base.... and you... Rantanen... there's no words for you.... haha... just shovel up the rest of your shabby dignity, put it in a colostomy bag and run away before either of you make yourselves look even more foolish.

LOL...... what's wrong with people?!?!?!?!?!
Visit my dog's myspace!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =143089105

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:00 pm

And what about a "Keyboards hero" haha ain't that utopic..

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:03 pm

LOL...... what's wrong with people?!?!?!?!?!
I think you are just about the last person that can say this sentence:) Unless
you take a look into the mirror first, E. Oh, but I forgot how young you still are and therefore you don´t understand that by provoking you can sometimes achieve lot of things:)

Rantanen

Post by Rantanen » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:52 pm

Hey Timo, I'm sorry I started this thing with the body weight. The fasting thing just gave me an inspiration to be smart-ass on my post. I meant nothing cruel or putting you down or anything. And with the age-difference, yes, I am turning 30 this month, and Timo Tolkki is 41, if my amateur mathematics skills are correct. There is a big difference, and also the gap between ME and the "today's teens" who are born, in, maybe 1989-1994 or so. I think the new generation is quite cool and well-informed.

All I wanna say that I am finnish, and Timo is finnish, and putting aside the fact that we both are, at least, bilingual with different life histories, we still have the same little finnish characteristics in our genes. I've been having a hell of a hard time at home because I basically have an "elephant's memory" and the past mistakes still catch me at times. I'm in my element at my summer cottage in Northern Savo, near Kuopio in Finland. That's an important place for me where I can relax and not worry about other people.

I used to live in Australia, did most of my school years there. No shit. I lived in Perth, Western Australia and my father still works for the Outokumpu company. He is likely to retire in the near coming years.

Keep the balance right. Keep your shit together. Take care of your home place, take care of yourselves and your loved ones. Life is limited on Earth. And I heard yesterday that L. Pavarotti passed away. May he rest in peace. :wink:

Rantanen

Post by Rantanen » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:57 pm

One more thing:

"I´m not exactly a cock sucking person" translates to "I am arrogant".

Yeah right. You expect me to kneel down and give my bumhole for raping by pigs who are "above me"? No way. It's the pride, the street-smart "arrogance" which I have learned to acquire and handle over the years which is a part of my persona. And a good flavour if you are in a band to convey a lasting image! Think of Dave Mustaine and Megadeth. The guy is, like, 46 and still an angry metal kid, though an old one at that. You think I'll let it go and be a cock-sucking maggot, you're crazy. There is a thing called "edge" and "MUNA" (in the finnish language). :idea: Jotain rajaa.

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:22 pm

You expect me to kneel down and give my bumhole for raping by pigs who are "above me"?
Yes, because judging from your posts they are above you. Did you change that shirt already? I´m getting impatient!!!!!

Rantanen

Post by Rantanen » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:33 pm

I had a shower and changed my undershirt. You're making me feel paranoid. Do you have a conspiracy with the "big brother" with secret cameras taking a note of my smoking and my shirt? :x

Rantanen

Post by Rantanen » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:18 pm

Okay. And now everybody takes their evening pills faithfully. Then it's bedtime, hugging the teddybear, under the blanket. And tomorrow/later today taking into consideration time differences, we will wake up and not worry about the virginity of our chocolate sides (the bumhole) as stated earlier. If Tolkki needs the blue little pill, I'll take the little white 5 mg Medipam with my quetiapin dose.

Lugarid

Post by Lugarid » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:36 am

you're out of your league, boy!

AMBR@BEC

Post by AMBR@BEC » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:59 pm

Can't believe I'm even entering this fray, but this post perturbed me, so against my better judgment, I'm going to comment.
Rantanen wrote: Hey Timo, I'm sorry I started this thing with the body weight. The fasting thing just gave me an inspiration to be smart-ass on my post. I meant nothing cruel or putting you down or anything.
Yet you did anyway. Saying you didn't mean it doesn't make it less rude or uncalled for. I wouldn't call that an "inspiration" but a lack of thought and self-restraint.
Rantanen wrote:And with the age-difference, yes, I am turning 30 this month, and Timo Tolkki is 41, if my amateur mathematics skills are correct. There is a big difference, and also the gap between ME and the "today's teens" who are born, in, maybe 1989-1994 or so. I think the new generation is quite cool and well-informed.
What is that suppose to mean? How does age difference equate with a right to be rude or insensitive? Or what other point were you trying to make? I'm the same age as Timo and I have friends much younger than you (and many older than me) and we have no trouble relating. Yea, we have different opinions and experiences but we try to appreciate all the differences and try to learn from them. I don't understand in what context you were referring to the age difference.
Rantanen wrote: All I wanna say that I am finnish, and Timo is finnish, and putting aside the fact that we both are, at least, bilingual with different life histories, we still have the same little finnish characteristics in our genes. I've been having a hell of a hard time at home because I basically have an "elephant's memory" and the past mistakes still catch me at times. I'm in my element at my summer cottage in Northern Savo, near Kuopio in Finland. That's an important place for me where I can relax and not worry about other people.
Once again, what does that have to do with anything? I have many Finnish friends, and I've never known them to be purposefully rude or critical of anyone. None of them ever likes to talk about themselves so much either. :roll: Perhaps I'm mis-reading your post, but it appears to me that you are trying to rationalize your earlier ones, and these points just don't work.
Well, now I'm out of this discussion, but I needed to speak my mind. Carry on.
“He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool” A. Camus

Beyond Ear Candy Metal Radio
beyondearcandy.com
Photos from 2008 Winter NAMM and Blog on Ben in Iraq on MySpace myspace.com/ambr_bec

Rantanen

Post by Rantanen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:20 pm

Rantanen wrote:
All I wanna say that I am finnish, and Timo is finnish, and putting aside the fact that we both are, at least, bilingual with different life histories, we still have the same little finnish characteristics in our genes. I've been having a hell of a hard time at home because I basically have an "elephant's memory" and the past mistakes still catch me at times. I'm in my element at my summer cottage in Northern Savo, near Kuopio in Finland. That's an important place for me where I can relax and not worry about other people.

Once again, what does that have to do with anything? I have many Finnish friends, and I've never known them to be purposefully rude or critical of anyone. None of them ever likes to talk about themselves so much either. Perhaps I'm mis-reading your post, but it appears to me that you are trying to rationalize your earlier ones, and these points just don't work.
Well, now I'm out of this discussion, but I needed to speak my mind. Carry on.

Yeah, I think you're right. I'm quite sure that I'm an alcoholic and I'm trying every day to stay sober. Yes, I admit I talk too much about myself. I've had these problems for years, and I've been running like Forrest Gump like Tolkki as well. One of the reasons I've grabbed myself by the neck lately is to get a right diagnosis from my doctor. I DID go to "therapy" this morning, as a matter of fact. I've been drinking alone and partying alone for years. A bit too much. I understand my past behaviour and thought patterns better, and my quality of life seems to be improving. As a young adult I was a hermit with an overactive imagination, and very creative. I had everything in my head, knew so much about facts earlier on, so I guess I've degenerated with age.

I said I'm aggressive, and that's just a part of human nature, to feel anger or hate, remorse, fear or whatnot. They're just words. But people with a verbal whip can drive each other up the wall, as we've seen in this discussion.

I've had too much free time.

fulvio86

Post by fulvio86 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:21 pm

Lightyear wrote:
stratoplayer wrote:
Luther_Harkon wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:

Yeah It's not a speed contest, there's a lot more that defines a good guitarist. Speaking of Hermal Li, I don't know how good he is/is not, but it really doesn't matter does it ?

IMHO Dragonforce have some great songs.
I think speed is the 20% of a good guitar player.
A good guitar player doesn't play his guitar as fast as he can. A good guitar guitar player is someone who know exactly what to play in every-moment:not only fast/slow, but with different scales(real melodic, armonic,pentatonic, major) using lidian, frigian, misolidian and the other mode,making runs and other thing which are more expressive than makin' a Malmsteen's solo (he is very good in "going fast"). Timo sometimes use this, and sometimes not..but, let's face it, to me is one of the best...if i play now, it's only because of him.
But that is my opinion...
Just another thing: the way someone plays his guitar is personal...and none can tell him if it's right or wrong but only if he likes or not.
I've never know how brought me here...as if somebody held my hand...

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:46 pm

fulvio86 wrote: Just another thing: the way someone plays his guitar is personal...and none can tell him if it's right or wrong but only if he likes or not.
Very true. At the end of the day, it's how each individual person chooses to interpret the instrument and express themselves.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:09 pm

The official homepage of the project has opened.

http://www.guitarheroes.fi/gh/index.php ... 1&blogid=1

TT´s track is #11. TIMO TOLKKI: IF GOD WILL SEND HER ANGELS
Programming: Timo Tolkki

He also explains the song followingly:

Timo Tolkki

"If God Will Send Her Angels" flies through crystal blue expressing me through my guitar. Love, Peace, Einstein."
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

Fuuso

Post by Fuuso » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:05 pm

I really liked Tolkki's part at '12 Donkeys' and his 'If God Will Send Her Angels'. The album has a lot of great works of art. Laiho's 'Sioux City Sarsaparilla' is just brilliant shred madness :D. 'Antz' is one of my favorites also. But speed is not the point. A good song doesn't have to be difficult to play although many good songs usually are difficult to play...

SrJo

Post by SrJo » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:32 pm

I would like to hear that. Though, after watching "G3", I'm not listening Steve Vai anymore.

dirge

Post by dirge » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:33 pm

I can't find it anywhere to buy?!