Stratovarius @ Wacken

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
User avatar
Dave
Sr. Member
Posts: 16777035
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:57 pm
Location: somewhere under your bed

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by Dave » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:14 pm

cliff wrote:
IceBreaker wrote:I think so too, that the new song will be found on YouTube quite surely some days after the show. That´s unfortunetaly the way nowadays...
I would be even less optimistic.
From my experience, most of the "stolen" material from festivals are available on Youtube the same evening, sometimes the next morning.

Internet is growing so fast nowadays that someday, any gig video will be available way before the gig, and musicians will use Youtube to correct their mistakes before doing them. Ah, sounds like someone has been watching Heroes too much. :wink:
What's actually wrong with the song appearing on YouTube ? Nobody will make less money just because it's appearing on YouTube.
I have to be in Munich the whole Wacken weekend, so I'd be very happy if that song appears on YouTube, so everybody else who can't go to Wacken can watch/hear it, too.
Spamming is serious business!
--------------------------------------------
...le daremos tiempo al tiempo,
él nos dirá que sucede...
...aunque no quiera la vida
si he de vivir sin tu amor...

TimoTolkki
Sr. Member
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:51 pm

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by TimoTolkki » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:25 pm

Dave wrote:
cliff wrote:
IceBreaker wrote:I think so too, that the new song will be found on YouTube quite surely some days after the show. That´s unfortunetaly the way nowadays...
I would be even less optimistic.
From my experience, most of the "stolen" material from festivals are available on Youtube the same evening, sometimes the next morning.

Internet is growing so fast nowadays that someday, any gig video will be available way before the gig, and musicians will use Youtube to correct their mistakes before doing them. Ah, sounds like someone has been watching Heroes too much. :wink:
What's actually wrong with the song appearing on YouTube ? Nobody will make less money just because it's appearing on YouTube.
I have to be in Munich the whole Wacken weekend, so I'd be very happy if that song appears on YouTube, so everybody else who can't go to Wacken can watch/hear it, too.
It´s a matter of principle mainly and to be have the control over one´s own work. But we´ve been through all these before.

User avatar
cliff
Sr. Member
Posts: 3361
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:38 pm
Location: Tampere

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by cliff » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:24 pm

Dave wrote: What's actually wrong with the song appearing on YouTube ? Nobody will make less money just because it's appearing on YouTube.
I have to be in Munich the whole Wacken weekend, so I'd be very happy if that song appears on YouTube, so everybody else who can't go to Wacken can watch/hear it, too.
I understand that, I would also ge glad to listen to the new song (I won't be in Wacken either), but when you think of it, this system is not fair for :
a/ the Stratovarius musicians, who decided to "offer" this song to the pp in Wacken.
b/ the pp who came to Wacken.
Of course a video on Youtube with really poor quality will NEVER replace the atmosphere of being in the festival for real, but still, it's not fair for those fans who have paid probably more than 200 euros to be there, when some pp who hadn't paid anything at all - and probably don't care much about the band, about metal or about music in general - can just seat on their couch at home and watch the entire show!
(I could add : c/ record company, but to be honest, I don't care about them now. I don't mean ALL of them, but most of them just suck money from bands & fans, and the day they realize that they can't earn enough money from a band, they just kick it out with huge disrespect)

Of course you and I, we both know that the pp who decides to put those videos online do it with "good" intention, to share the songs with other fans, but I personally think it's immoral.

Now if it's the band who decides to upload the video on Youtube, that would be the best choice, and would make everybody happy.
But things are never THAT easy (read my "c/" part again)
<b>This is wrong</b>

User avatar
black death
Sr. Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by black death » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:08 pm

this system is not fair for :
a/ the Stratovarius musicians, who decided to "offer" this song to the pp in Wacken.
b/ the pp who came to Wacken.
Well, I'm not sure, if it's not fair for the people at Wacken :? , respectively for all of them.
A lot of people at such a festival goes there not just because of one band (can be Stratovarius, can be whoever else), but because of the atmosphere there, because of more bands, because they go for a "trip" with their friends...and I don't know why else. It is unfair maybe just for those who paid more than 200 Euros just to see THIS, but for the others??
Moreover, as you wrote, "a video on Youtube with really poor quality will NEVER replace the atmosphere of being in the festival for real". So I'm not sure even about this :? ...is it really unfair to the fans? :?

From my point of view (as a fan)...when I see something LIVE (not important if at a festival or separate gig), I don't have a problem with a video of what I saw on youtube.

But, of course, it's not fair to the band (or record company). Not only that it's not fair, but it's copyright infringement, as TT wrote. That's why I'm against this videos on youtube.

Btw. I think that I heard a few months ago that MTV wants to sue youtube for a huge amount of money (I don't remember how much) because of some videos there. Well, I don't remember what finally happened with this lawsuit, but I guess it wasn't last problem that youtube had.

User avatar
NeonVomit
Sr. Member
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:36 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:05 pm

Hm. A bit of a grey area.

I don't think that because of a low-quality video from a hand-held camera in the crowd, anyone would not buy the cd. It would be nice to have an idea of the song (because, really, that's all we can get from someone holding a camera over their head in the middle of the crowd with people bouncing around, complete with fuzzy sound and seeing the guys in the band as specks on the horizon). So in this particular case, live videos on home recording equipment, I don't think it's a problem. If anything, it's good promotion.

However, when you're talking about copyrighted videos (properly recorded) or sections of DVDs, things are different.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com


I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

User avatar
Dave
Sr. Member
Posts: 16777035
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:57 pm
Location: somewhere under your bed

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by Dave » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:09 pm

I don't think that there is a single person on this planet who thinks "Oh well, they will probably upload the new Stratovarius song on YouTube, so I will save my money and won't go to Wacken."
If I could go to Wacken this year, I'd like to see all the bands that I like, I wouldn't go there just to hear the new Stratovarius song.
You could also say that the people who will buy the Wacken 2007 are unfair, as they will be able to watch almost all the shows in great quality, and pay much less than the Wacken visitors :roll:

It's a copyright infringement, but nobody will make less money with that.
And I don't understand why it's unfair to the record company, as long as there isn't a person who thinks "Oh well, they will probably upload a new Stratovarius song in crappy live quality on YouTube, so I'm not going to buy the whole new album".
Of course it's unfair when somebody is uploading whole albums in good quality on YouTube, but I'm talking only about this new song.
Spamming is serious business!
--------------------------------------------
...le daremos tiempo al tiempo,
él nos dirá que sucede...
...aunque no quiera la vida
si he de vivir sin tu amor...

TimoTolkki
Sr. Member
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:51 pm

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by TimoTolkki » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:20 pm

However, when you're talking about copyrighted videos (properly recorded) or sections of DVDs, things are different.
No you are wrong. If you put up anywhere in media form of copyrighted material, it´s a copyright infringement. The quality does not matter.
I, of course, am not so strict to this anymore as I was 5 years ago since i know that the whole industry is changing and the prices of cds are ridiculously high. Internet has done lot of good and lot of bad. In some years we know more about the situation.
But from where I stand, as a songwriter, I have certain rights to my work and how it is distributed. And I should be the one who decides that.
Unfortunately there is a whole new generation of kids who have no respect to the copyrights and download/distribute copyrighted material without any guilt.
This is too bad.

IceBreaker
Sr. Member
Posts: 4718
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:37 pm
Location: Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by IceBreaker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:06 am

TimoTolkki wrote: Internet has done lot of good and lot of bad.
...
Unfortunately there is a whole new generation of kids who have no respect to the copyrights and download/distribute copyrighted material without any guilt.
This is too bad.
Unfortunately yes. They just think they can do nearly everything with the highly advanced mobiles, and on the net without any respect. Many has already found some cases where the other party has gone the case to the court or at least been thinking of that. Here I remember the video of a teacher singing crappy (or how was it..) which was put quickly on YouTube as an example of this. I´d call those young ppl sth like "a wireless/Internet/Mobile generation".

In my opinion the question is how to teach them (or to convince them to know) the respect of copyrights, or even the rights...
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

User avatar
tkbdadsgshim
Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:12 am
Location: mexico city

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by tkbdadsgshim » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:19 am

unfortunetly that it's osmething that can be stopped easly that's a fact, but at least for me , if someone records the new song n' uploaded to you tube i'm honest i will check it, because i want to know what it's happening with the band , in my situation it's really difficult to travel to see them in germany, but i don't care if i watch the song online or not i will buy the cd because i like the band no matter what, but that's my personal opinion i know there are too many fans of the band that no matter what will buy the cd, besides i think it's very sdhitty to judge the new matterial just for one song, but you have a point there a re too many ppl violating the copyrights, but at this point anyone can upload whatever they want, n' most of the times is ppl who buy the cds, i think this is somethin' we can't stop the only thing we can do, it's educate ourselfes 'bout this situation n' of course we need the support of the record companies or the ppl who distribute the matterial around the world becauses the prices are really too high n' i believe the only ones who are affected with this are the bands n' of course us the fans
"life can be good with the right people" - andi deris

User avatar
NeonVomit
Sr. Member
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:36 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Timo, that is of course true. Having signed a contract myself I really should have thought of that. Technically it is copyright infringement, but unlikely to cause any financial harm.

I never was really into downloading albums and stuff, I guess that's mostly because I enjoyed actually collecting CDs. But now that my own band has a stake to lose from illegal downloading, and especially since downloading will make a big impact on us, it's something that really bothers me now.

Someone else on this forum put it up for download and they have the actual figures, but more people downloaded our entire first demo than physical copies of it ever existed. Which I guess is a good thing, we didn't lose out that much and plus the global promotion was worth it, and I think that played a role in us getting our contract with the label. For unsigned band, the internet can do wonders. How else would an unknown band from an out-of-the-way place like Cyprus get a record deal with a German label? This is a case of something good the internet can do. And plus, I was contacted about the issue and talked about it with the other guys in the band and we agreed to have it uploaded in the first place.

Now the bad... it's not about Metallica losing record sales. It's about smaller bands starting out losing sales. If the band doesn't sell, it gets dropped by the label. Simple as that.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com


I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

TimoTolkki
Sr. Member
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:51 pm

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by TimoTolkki » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:10 pm

Now the bad... it's not about Metallica losing record sales. It's about smaller bands starting out losing sales. If the band doesn't sell, it gets dropped by the label. Simple as that.
Again wrong. Metallica is in no different position than other bands when it comes to both legal copyrights and moral copyrights. Every person, no matter how rich or poor, has the same rights to his/her work. Both legally and morally.

User avatar
StratoTimo
Sr. Member
Posts: 6657
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:18 pm
Location: Suomen Chicago...Lahti!
Contact:

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by StratoTimo » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:58 pm

TimoTolkki wrote:
Now the bad... it's not about Metallica losing record sales. It's about smaller bands starting out losing sales. If the band doesn't sell, it gets dropped by the label. Simple as that.
Again wrong. Metallica is in no different position than other bands when it comes to both legal copyrights and moral copyrights. Every person, no matter how rich or poor, has the same rights to his/her work. Both legally and morally.
Yes that's totally right. Why bands made any songs if you can get it at for example at YouTube for free...Except me, I bought because I like that band what I just like! Example if in YouTube is newest Stratovarius album at February and release date is at March, I could listen those songs in YouTube but still I'm going to buy that album because I just want all in that album to me...Like Stratovarius album was Rockumentary. And I'm also going to buy every album from my favourite bands because YouTube just isn't there where you need music, example You are at Summer Gottage and there isn't opportunity to use internet and you want to listen a music there, then you need CD-player and that album where is that song you need to listen and if that isn't released... Then you know there that you should not listen that song what is in YouTube... :roll:

And Timppa, sorry that I started this recording discussion in Wacken, I just didn't know that that it's illegal to put any clips to youtube, but YouTube is not so important to me.
And one question to you, can any band make charge to youtube that they "get" money away from the band? :roll:
Meikä Ankka

User avatar
NeonVomit
Sr. Member
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:36 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:12 am

TimoTolkki wrote:
Now the bad... it's not about Metallica losing record sales. It's about smaller bands starting out losing sales. If the band doesn't sell, it gets dropped by the label. Simple as that.
Again wrong. Metallica is in no different position than other bands when it comes to both legal copyrights and moral copyrights. Every person, no matter how rich or poor, has the same rights to his/her work. Both legally and morally.
Of course, I didn't say that Metallica have any less right to have their work protected as anyone else. I don't think anyone really believes that, certainly not someone who writes and records music in a professional or semi-professional manner.

What I was meaning to say is that the losses of record sales hurt the small bands which are starting out (like mine) far more, which is why illicitly downloading stuff by smaller bands ultimately causes them more harm. Let's say 1000 people download our album, and of projected sales of 3000, we're left with 2000. That's a pretty massive proportion, 1/3. If say 350,000 people download Metallica's new album, and they still sell another 2.5 million, they're hardly going to be affected by it as much as we are even though the numbers are much higher. I'm the last person to say that it's right to do, but the simple matter is that we are going to be hurt by it a lot more than Metallica are. I am certainly not saying that Metallica's intellectual rights are any less valid.

In principle, it should never be done to anyone regardless of how successful and rich they are. In practise however, it hurts the little guys far more. And of course, record labels suffer too.

What I'm trying to say is that people should really think carefully about the consequences of taking music in that way. If they really want to support up-and-coming artists, then downloading the albums is one of the worst ways to do it. If you really like a new band then buy their CDs, people. That's the best way to support them. Or download their music in a legal way, from iTunes or the record label's website. I believe good music is always worth paying for.

I used to think 'yeah whatever, big deal' but now that I'm getting a good idea of how it really affects the bands, I've realized what a harmful thing it is.

But what is the solution?
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com


I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

rakettitulppa
Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by rakettitulppa » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:37 pm

Timo, can you tell to us, when we get some news from the new album.for example the new album name, or new album songlist, or a new single, or when the new album or new single it's out?

User avatar
exe knight
Sr. Member
Posts: 2551
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:04 pm
Location: the whitefish river (siikajoki)

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by exe knight » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:26 pm

rakettitulppa wrote:Timo, can you tell to us, when we get some news from the new album.for example the new album name, or new album songlist, or a new single, or when the new album or new single it's out?
Yeeah this time I might even buy the single, I love Stratovarius more than any band, I'm really looking forvard to this album and if there's much time inbetween, I will buy the single too, In the mean time I'll just try to find that Twilight time...

User avatar
Beast_Pete
Sr. Member
Posts: 6488
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:34 pm
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Contact:

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by Beast_Pete » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:02 pm

I!m signing in from Wacken. I met stratovana and her daughter an hour ago and now I!m trying to find the stratoguys (Jens is drinking somewhere around :P ). The show was great, and I really liked the new song, it!s promising. I managed to get into the first row accompanied by my Hungarian flag. My friends filmed the whole show, but of course we won!t upload it (Timo, if you want a copy of it, then let me know).

The whole Wacken festival is brilliant and I have enjoyed it much. We!ve been partying with my friends and watched some really nice shows. Of course the Stratovarius one was the best and it was worth standing 5 hours in the first row to see them directly in the end.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

User avatar
black death
Sr. Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by black death » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Beast_Pete wrote:I!m signing in from Wacken. I met stratovana and her daughter an hour ago and now I!m trying to find the stratoguys (Jens is drinking somewhere around :P ). The show was great, and I really liked the new song, it!s promising. I managed to get into the first row accompanied by my Hungarian flag. My friends filmed the whole show, but of course we won!t upload it (Timo, if you want a copy of it, then let me know).

The whole Wacken festival is brilliant and I have enjoyed it much. We!ve been partying with my friends and watched some really nice shows. Of course the Stratovarius one was the best and it was worth standing 5 hours in the first row to see them directly in the end.
Nice to hear so fast information from Wacken :D
I'm sure it was more than worth it :wink:

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27236
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:19 pm

Thanks for the report, Beast_Pete! Have fun! :headbang:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Salieri
Jr. Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:55 am
Location: Argentina

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by Salieri » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:30 pm

The people from here (argentina) and all the people that couldnt went to the wacken want to listen this song. Please, cant the band upload the video of the new song in wacken? we are very ansious.

Thank for the report, and for saying that the new song is good. :wink:

User avatar
Kmasters
Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:47 pm

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by Kmasters » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:52 pm

Setlist please :)

rakettitulppa
Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by rakettitulppa » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:06 pm

Kmasters wrote:Setlist please :)
yes, and last night on earth-videoclip, and pictures.

User avatar
Kmasters
Member
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:47 pm

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by Kmasters » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:36 pm


User avatar
stratobabius
Sr. Member
Posts: 4066
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:23 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by stratobabius » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:05 am

Kmasters wrote:I just find this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J09uapSd15E
Is it only me, or is Beast_Pete there, seen on the first row? :)

User avatar
stratohawk
Sr. Member
Posts: 3067
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:35 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by stratohawk » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:05 am

Kmasters wrote:I just find this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J09uapSd15E
Fucking awesome!!! :shock: This must be some official video!?

Anyways, fuck it, I WANT TO SEE THEM LIVE AGAIN!! :D

Stratoviking
Sr. Member
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:35 pm

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by Stratoviking » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:09 am

I like it very much little strange that Strato play this song I think but its good!!
I want to hear the new song!!!
thanks for the clip

finnlandia
Sr. Member
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Hungary,Tatabanya
Contact:

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by finnlandia » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:30 am

I saw this video already in Youtube.
This is so great! :D And thanks for the report Beast_Pete. :D :wink:

IceBreaker
Sr. Member
Posts: 4718
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:37 pm
Location: Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by IceBreaker » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:05 am

Really no idea are the 2 videos found there official or not but the shootings on stage would start ppl guessing so. Well, won´t put any links as we don´t know more yet...
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

User avatar
StratoTimo
Sr. Member
Posts: 6657
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:18 pm
Location: Suomen Chicago...Lahti!
Contact:

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by StratoTimo » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:20 am

How many of you have seebn/heard This!!!!!!!!

Fuck that Rocks! But where is these videos going? are they bonuses in upcoming Runttaa Reino Album?
Meikä Ankka

User avatar
black death
Sr. Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by black death » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:06 am

Yeah, I've seen it :D .
Audio is a little delayed, but the sound is good.
As Beast_Pete said, it's promising...I'd say very promising :)

rakettitulppa
Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Stratovarius @ Wacken

Post by rakettitulppa » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:37 am

that is stratovariuse's best song!

Locked