FALL OF THE GIANT

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
crostrato
FALL OF THE GIANT

Post by crostrato » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:09 pm

Ok, before anything, hello to everybody, if there is anybody, hehe. Well, I simple cant stand no longer, so my question is; what is happening, what is happening, what is happening with this band? Ok, before anything, I will say few things about me and Stratovarius so that you know how much it means to me.. For me, Stratovarius is something special, something that change my life, once and forever, something that happens once in a lifetime. So, everything start few years ago, I think it was 2001, when my friend show me that thing, called Destiny, hehe. I remember like it was yesterday, it was afternoon,summer, around 2" clock, so we siting in his room, talking about music and stuff, and after some time, he said, that he has something abnormal good to show me, I said, so play it, let my hear that thing. And there it goes, DESTINY spot (FF cover)( till then I was listening music like offspring, blink 182, and stuff like that( and I thought I know everything, hehe)), I was just blown away, hehe, that beginning, that drums, that production, that melody, that vocals, that solo, that was the thing that change my life. Simple I was so amazed by the song, that in that moment I said to myself, ok, this is what I want, this is what I want do in my life. So after very small period of time I bought all there albums, there video tape, which I looked so many times, every day, every night, I sop like a sponge, I just entering in whole new world to me, and I love every minute of it. So it goes, Jorg Michael star to be my biggest influence( I m a drummer), I spend hours and hours, months and months, years and years, practicing his style, buy drums he plays, and so on. The whole band start to become something special to me, something which will always have space in my heart. Because that music, that melody, simple touch me too much, the music is so good composed, from mighty drum and bass lines(Jorg and Jari), Kotipelto voice, to most beautiful solos in the world( Tokki and Jens). So, back to real story, I watch this forum for many years now, every day, I know everything about band, from formal thing, to minimal detail about whole situation. So I really know the whole story. Now, why I wrote all those, because I cant watch this situation anymore, what is happening with the band, since last news more than half year passed, at forum there s nobody from band, neither Tokki, neither Kotipelto, neither Johanson, neither Michael, neither Lauri, news about Stratovarius we have not heard for very long time, nothing, neither something from members site or any metal site. What is going on with new album? Nothing. How progress goes? Nothing. What is happening whit new dvd? Nothing. What is happening with there shows, every set list is almost the same? Nothing? Why just Black diamond, Hunting high and low, Paradise, Forever free, ....where is the other songs, why not arrange some new song for shows? Nothing. In all Stratovarius project 0% of effort is included now!!!! What is going on with stratoshop, I wont to order a t-shirt, but there is no new numbers and new items for very long time? Why is video section on Stratovarius site closed for very long time, this is not good for new fans, isnt it? Why there isnt any pictures update on site for very, very long time ago? There is 0% effort included for fans, 0%!!!! Stratovarius site doesnt either have a webmaster I think!!!! I mean everything is on stop, everything is so cold, simple I cant tolerate this any more and it just hurts me when I talk about something that big for me on this way, where are everybody, where? When will that stop? For example, to me, another too good band; Dream Therater, just look on there side, if someone follow that band also will know what I m talking about. Every day some news, almost every year new dvd, every week some new thing for fans, even t-shirt, new instructional dvd from members, new set list every show!!!!! Members talk with fans thru forums, there are regular updates, almost always something is happening, and about Portnoy I wil not even talk. I know that al that request some time, but I dont ask you to be like them, just give as small thing and we will be satisfied, proud, that you care about us!. And Stratovarius, I mean, it is not some small band, here we talk about one of the most popular metal band ever. And band like that should not afford this ugly and shameless situation. So thats it. Uffff, I never in my lif wrote post big like tihs, special in English. Timo and Timo, Jens, Lauri, Jorg, I hope that thing will change, come here, explain to us some stuff, it is you turn now, will you change this or not. I hope you are STILL ALIVE ( familiar, Tokki). And without considaration on all that, Stratovarius was, and will be one of the greatest things that happen in my life.

Look around turn around
You just might fall to the ground
Sail away break away
Damage done nothing to say
All my life I've felt like an outcast
But not anymore, a thing of the past
Feel the sun, got to run
Feels like life has just begun
All is new, different view
so many things that I will do
I'm leaving behind the things I don't need
and with confidence I'm planting the seed

I'm still alive
I'm ready to feel the wind in my hair
And I know there are so many things to share
I will write my story again
Masterplan of a new kind
I was lost but now I'm found
I'm still alive

I hope you guys remember this !
:wink: :) :roll:

Plisken

Re: FALL OF THE GIANT

Post by Plisken » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:46 pm

: o

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:05 pm

Dude calm down.

They're busy writing other stuff, Tolkki's been working on Saana, Kotipelto and Lauri on their respective solo stuff.

So chill out.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

crostrato

Post by crostrato » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:12 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Dude calm down.

They're busy writing other stuff, Tolkki's been working on Saana, Kotipelto and Lauri on their respective solo stuff.

So chill out.
I know that, I respect that, but there is no reason not to give as just one news what is happening whit all situation, and I m calm, dont worry.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:18 pm

Besides the fact that you should improve your grammatical skills a bit (e.g. their is not equal there ;-) ), when you say you read this forum for a long time, you probably have seen that you are not the only one who is unsatisfied with the current situation. I want to tell you some things:

a)Yes, Stratovarius has also changed something in my life, after I started listening to their music; it probably did this to most of their fans. But, I also must say, after all those years passing by, they don't have the same priority as before (though they still mean a fucking lot to me, and I still love their music 8) ), and, believe it or not, some day it will be the same for you. When I started listening to them, I was about 16 years old. That was almost ten years ago. I'm just saying, time changes a lot. :wink:

b)The answer to your question, what's going on with the band, is quite simple, though I don't like it myself: First of all, Stratovarius is Timo Tolkki's band. And obviously, although they already started to write and record some new stuff, they don't have a very high priority for the members, or at least for Tolkki at the moment (Rock Opera Project, etc.). The band is on standby at the moment, that's all.
I don't know and I'm not sure whether they will really come back again or not. I'm happy that they solved their inner problems, speak and work together again, that Kotipelto is back, I also liked their last album and enjoyed them on stage again. But if the band really comes back sooner or later, IMO it's not bad that they really take their time now, after they had album outputs almost every year in the past, which made them one of the most productive bands, but which definitely also exhausted the members, mentally, physically, and surely also their creativity.

c)Nobody can tell at the moment how/when/if the show will go on. That's a fact that we have to accept. I'm definitely not happy with that, in the 90s (which was THE decade of this band :wink: ) we got news, shows, new cds all the time. Now the band is at rest. It would be really nice to get a little bit more information from their side, I mean this is what an existing band should at least do to its fans (they could at least announce officially that the band is taking a time out again), but if not, we cannot change anything about it. We simply can wait, and must focus on other things.

oh, and d)Compared to other bands we cannot complain about members of Stratovarius not appearing from time to time on their official board: Timo Tolkki and Jens posted a lot here in the past.

last but not least e)I don't complain about their setlists. I always like them to play classics as well as new songs. Or the cool medley on their comeback-tour. 8)

crostrato

Post by crostrato » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:31 pm

stratohawk wrote:Besides the fact that you should improve your grammatical skills a bit (e.g. their is not equal there ;-) ), when you say you read this forum for a long time, you probably have seen that you are not the only one who is unsatisfied with the current situation. I want to tell you some things:

a)Yes, Stratovarius has also changed something in my life, after I started listening to their music; it probably did this to most of their fans. But, I also must say, after all those years passing by, they don't have the same priority as before (though they still mean a fucking lot to me, and I still love their music 8) ), and, believe it or not, some day it will be the same for you. When I started listening to them, I was about 16 years old. That was almost ten years ago. I'm just saying, time changes a lot. :wink:

b)The answer to your question, what's going on with the band, is quite simple, though I don't like it myself: First of all, Stratovarius is Timo Tolkki's band. And obviously, alth
ough they already started to write and record some new stuff, they don't have a very high priority for the members, or at least for Tolkki at the moment (Rock Opera Project, etc.). The band is on standby at the moment, that's all.
I don't know and I'm not sure whether they will really come back again or not. I'm happy that they solved their inner problems, speak and work together again, that Kotipelto is back, I also liked their last album and enjoyed them on stage again. But if the band really comes back sooner or later, IMO it's not bad that they really take their time now, after they had album outputs almost every year in the past, which made them one of the most productive bands, but which definitely also exhausted the members, mentally, physically, and surely also their creativity.

c)Nobody can tell at the moment how/when/if the show will go on. That's a fact that we have to accept. I'm definitely not happy with that, in the 90s (which was THE decade of this band :wink: ) we got news, shows, new cds all the time. Now the band is at rest. It would be really nice to get a little bit more information from their side, I mean this is what an existing band should at least do to its fans (they could at least announce officially that the band is taking a time out again), but if not, we cannot change anything about it. We simply can wait, and must focus on other things.

oh, and d)Compared to other bands we cannot complain about members of Stratovarius not appearing from time to time on their official board: Timo Tolkki and Jens posted a lot here in the past.

last but not least e)I don't complain about their setlists. I always like them to play classics as well as new songs. Or the cool medley on their comeback-tour. 8)
I agree, I m not too good with English
a) It s already the same from me...
b) I know that very well
c) That is all about, we simple just can wait
d) The whole topic is about it, that they were great in past with fans
e) Setlist, is just tooooooo same, always the same song, but that is just me.

Mute

Post by Mute » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:24 pm

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:10 am

@crostrato, try to be patient. :)
Its not uncommon for bands to go 3-4 years between albums(or even longer), so its all cool. Besides, they are probably busy with their individual projects right now.
Just listen&enjoy the music they have already made for now, and we'll all know what's to be soon, hopefully. :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:08 am

browneyedgirl wrote:@crostrato, try to be patient. :)
Its not uncommon for bands to go 3-4 years between albums(or even longer), so its all cool. Besides, they are probably busy with their individual projects right now.
Just listen&enjoy the music they have already made for now, and we'll all know what's to be soon, hopefully. :)
Hell, it was five years for Symphony X to release the new album...
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:25 am

I'm sorry for all the big members of this forum...but i have my opinion about this....thing going on. And i'm very proud that i'm not the only one angry/disappointed about it.
I know the exactly meaning of patience....so cut that, it's not a matter of patience....for me at least.
First of all, everyone in this forum is a BIG fan of the band, no doubt for sure...even me (i need a translator and a friend to write this, that's why i was not registered). So we are equals here, Stratovarius is very important thing in our lifes, (even if your first album was element II, like me, I love the album, sorry
:lol: )
The problem here...and YES, IT'S A PROBLEM...is NO COMMUNICATION...0....NADA AMIGOS MIOS NADA, NOTHING AT ALL....of course someone can say that i'm wrong, tolkki's forum, his "myspace", but THAT INFO is not about Strato....maybe we know what's going on (rest, projects, problems, nothing to tell...). But this silence doesn't help to anybody. It's not a good thing, and i think they(or he, wathever you want to call it) know it.
For me....it's something about respect...i don't like this situation at all, and i don't want to pushing things badly, im' not screaming shit about the band that means so much to me. It's just how make me feel this silence, this "be patient" thing....i know what is to wait a new album, i'm waiting the new metallica's album for 5 years now. But even they have communication with the fans...
So, finally......i want to say that I KNOW that the new album is going to be excellent, and that i'm still very proud of the band, even if they play live only one song of the last 3 records. And I will be
fan of strato till the end.

Sorry for my English
Me gustaria que su pudiera hablar en español, ja!

Mute

Post by Mute » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:52 am

Verdades Parias wrote:YES, IT'S A PROBLEM...is NO COMMUNICATION...0....NADA AMIGOS MIOS NADA, NOTHING AT ALL....
2005:

2007:

universal-buys-struggling-music-group-sanctuary

2008:

?

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:59 pm

@Mute: .... and what are you trying to express with that graphic? :?

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Alexa.com should be more informative
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traff ... varius.com

If you look at the 3 year detail the site traffic now is as almost much as when the band was touring back in 2005. So it doesn't mean anything :P

EDIT: Oops, wrong topic for this...

Mute

Post by Mute » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:49 pm

stratohawk wrote:@Mute: .... and what are you trying to express with that graphic? :?
"their record label has really bad financial problems"

black death

Post by black death » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:09 pm

Mute wrote:
stratohawk wrote:@Mute: .... and what are you trying to express with that graphic? :?
"their record label has really bad financial problems"
Yes, that's right. Sanctuary Rec. had to close some of their branches in last few years. But what does it have to do with nothing-happening around the band?

Mute

Post by Mute » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:07 am

black death wrote:Yes, that's right. Sanctuary Rec. had to close some of their branches in last few years. But what does it have to do with nothing-happening around the band?
The record company of Stratovarius -- Sanctuary -- was very close to bankruptcy for two years.

As of August 2007, Sanctuary doesn't even really exist any more.

Think a bit about it.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:35 am

For a band like Stratovarius it shouldn't be a problem to find an adequate label.

crostrato

Post by crostrato » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:38 am

stratohawk wrote:For a band like Stratovarius it shouldn't be a problem to find an adequate label.
Yes, that is true. Btw, I hope, very soon, I will change this topic name to Awaken the giant, hehe.

Mute

Post by Mute » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:00 am

stratohawk wrote:For a band like Stratovarius it shouldn't be a problem to find an adequate label.
If the old label is officially bankrupt, yes. Otherwise any contract would still be in force. And the new owner (Universal) would take over all of Sanctuary's assets, claims and obligations.

It could perhaps also be that the band are in a situation about which they are not legally permitted to speak in public. Just a thought...

black death

Post by black death » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:12 pm

Mute wrote:The record company of Stratovarius -- Sanctuary -- was very close to bankruptcy for two years.

As of August 2007, Sanctuary doesn't even really exist any more.

Think a bit about it.
When it comes to it, Timo Kotipelto has his own record label.

Think a bit about it. :wink:

Mute wrote:It could perhaps also be that the band are in a situation about which they are not legally permitted to speak in public. Just a thought...
:shock:
How did you come to this, man?? :shock:

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:24 pm

Oh folks, this is getting stupid and ridiculous here... :roll: No matter if the label is bancrupt or not, if the band had a new album available, they would release it somewhere else.

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:53 pm

crostrato wrote:another too good band; Dream Therater, just look on there side, if someone follow that band also will know what I m talking about. Every day some news, almost every year new dvd, every week some new thing for fans, even t-shirt, new instructional dvd from members, new set list every show!!!!! Members talk with fans thru forums, there are regular updates, almost always something is happening, and about Portnoy I wil not even talk.
I dont know if its just the people im around or who I talk to but why does Stratovarius get compared to Dream Theater more than any other band? Maybe cuz jens almost joined them at one point? i dont know but they are very different in many many ways. Dream Theater are like the only band who release a DVD video with almost every album they make, do clinics, they even have an official bootleg(if that makes any sense lol) >.> not many bands go that far. So comparing them to Stratovarius of course its going to look like they dont do much. Also Dream Theater are with Roadrunner which is the 3rd largest label in the world! Stratovarius... well now we dont know who they are with if there label went bankrupt but if it didnt and if its true Universal owns Sanctuary now and Stratovarius stick with Universal, then they are with the worlds largest record label!

Now this is just me but I rather get a new Strato album then a new DVD. Dont get me wrong though I would LOVE to see a new DVD with many more Jens Pranks,newer songs being played live,etc(Jens if you read this, with the new dvd you got to do something to top the exploding toilet! Im sure you ether have or will find away :D). But not if the making of the DVD delays there next album.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:03 am

At least we have someone on the Administrative Level taking care of this board. That "What do you think of TT?" topic disappeared. And since we cannot delete our own topics, we must correctly assume we have a moderator. ;)

Jens, don't be so shy! :lol:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:31 am

The Dream Theater Vs. Stratovarius debate is one of the most interesting ones ever.
Compared to other bands, both have some of the best fan communication.
Breaking it down intrument by intrument (and vocals)
The keyboard debate is unreal, they're both absolute monsters, but I give the edge to Stratovarius.
Bass goes to Dream Theater.
Guitar splits
Drums go Dream Theater
Then there's the vocal question
Most people love Koti, and a lot of people hate LaBrie, but once again, they're both unrealistically talented. Koti has the best live voice, but LaBrie seems to have a better range, I still have to give the edge to Strato here.

Then songwriting,
TT seems to be able to express any emotion in a song, and Dream Theater seems to be able to express any musical expression in a song. It's another split.

So yeah, I can see why people compare DT and Strato so much.

Stratoviking

Post by Stratoviking » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:06 pm

I think its time to tell us fans about the future off
Stratovarius, somebody in the band should do that
I understand that they have other things to do like solo stuff
but who hasn`t much to do. I work every day like 10 hours with my own company but I still have some time to write here!! They cant blame on the time.

crostrato

Post by crostrato » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Stratoviking wrote:I think its time to tell us fans about the future off
Stratovarius, somebody in the band should do that
I understand that they have other things to do like solo stuff
but who hasn`t much to do. I work every day like 10 hours with my own company but I still have some time to write here!! They cant blame on the time.
:wink:

crostrato

Post by crostrato » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:29 pm

Rebel wrote:The Dream Theater Vs. Stratovarius debate is one of the most interesting ones ever.
Compared to other bands, both have some of the best fan communication.
Breaking it down intrument by intrument (and vocals)
The keyboard debate is unreal, they're both absolute monsters, but I give the edge to Stratovarius.
Bass goes to Dream Theater.
Guitar splits
Drums go Dream Theater
Then there's the vocal question
Most people love Koti, and a lot of people hate LaBrie, but once again, they're both unrealistically talented. Koti has the best live voice, but LaBrie seems to have a better range, I still have to give the edge to Strato here.

Then songwriting,
TT seems to be able to express any emotion in a song, and Dream Theater seems to be able to express any musical expression in a song. It's another split.

So yeah, I can see why people compare DT and Strato so much.
Ok, why I compare Stratovarius and Dream Theater, I tell you why, just because of there big potential, actual, there huge, huge potential, that can be use, but only one from those two bands actual use that potential, you guess which?

As I sad before, I m very deep into those two bands, why I m telling you that I m very deep into those bands, because, so that later nobody attacks me, that I m not familiar with that, or that, you know what I mean.

So, here is example: before one year D.T. deliver there new dvd called SCORE, it was dvd played in Radio City Music Hall, in front of around 10000 people, the played with whole orchestra, it was incredible, with very good set list, from old to new stuff, there was everything. And it came out on double dvd, one was with concert and other one was with documentary about the band! And today this one of the most sold dvd ever. Even they overtake famous Pink Floyd dvd. So,. what i want to say, imagin Stratovarius do something like that, with orchestra, with good production, in some big hall in Finland or Chile, with double dvd, with documentary about the band, with good set list, from Dreamspace to most powerful songs with orchestra from Elements albums, just imagin that, would you buy it, I think you would, so, I know that this is far beyond from simple to realize this, but will the effort what they put in this come back to them, I think it will! So where is the problem, it think in there will is the problem, to do something like that, For the second time I say I know that is very hard, very very hard to do something like that, but I think it would worth it!

crostrato

Post by crostrato » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:03 pm

Ufffff, just imagine this, some big hall with something around 10000 people, huge clear stage, on the wall three big screens, on in the centar, and one per left and right side, on the left side orchestra and on the right side huge choir which will be use only for second part od the setlist, till than they are cover with huge black curtain, aaaaaa, just imagin that :shock: :shock: :shock: , abnormal good light show, with pyrotechnic, fire flames in front of the stage, good production, good set list, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: , who wouldnt buy that, who???

Example: Set list for the show:

DESTINY
I WALK TO MY OWN SONG
I'M STILL ALIVE
S.O.S.
KISS OF JUDAS
FOREVER
DREAMSPACE
4TH REICH
HUNTING HIGH AND LOW
BLACK DIAMOND

Than lights come down and orchestra and choir comes out and start with:

ELEMENTS
PAPILLON
INFINITY
LIBERTY
ANTHEM OF THE WORLD
AWAKEN THE GIANT
FANTASIA
KNOW THE DIFFERENCE

After I see that, I dont know would I be alive, hehe.

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:33 pm

^^Why to write the same message twice and in the same even open a new topic about it?
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

Dave

Post by Dave » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:43 am

I guess he was very bored.
Spamming is serious business!