"New Era" Album

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Stratobanger
Re: "New Era" Album

Post by Stratobanger » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:00 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
nefertari wrote:After listening to the samples these songs sound good, but they miss the soul.
This album would have been a good Stratovarius album, the songs lack the soul of Stratovarius :?
Because the songs lack the voice of Kotipelto! :)
Yeah...to be honest, when I was listening to the samples I couldn't stop thinking on how the songs would sound with Kotipelto... u.u

And well...I really like Kiske and Sammet...but in their own bands u.u

I don't know...it's kinda difficult not to picture Timo K. singing those songs

StratoBOB

Post by StratoBOB » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:27 am

Cristiane wrote:
StratoBOB wrote:I have listen to the samples... Then I'v got back listen to my old Vision's CD...Then I'v got back to the samples... I like the melodies, I love to hear Kiske back singing with attitude but I can't describe these songs as "Vision's style".
Forgive me Timo, but I don't want you to become another Lars who always says when Metallica gona to release a new record that the new one is a huge back to roots. Please, you shouldn't go this way . I respect you as a songwritter, player and artist. I respect your close touch to the fans durring all these years, I respect you as a person but you should stand strong on the ground as always. You better know than me!

ps. You mentioned Hansen. I hope one day you can release yours Land Of The Free and Somewhere Out In Space kind of records in your RR careere as Kai did after leaving Helloween. Am I wrong saying that he never mentioned that he will gona release another Keepers or another Walls Of Jericho album in his GR era?! ;)
Hey! Look who's back! :D
I missed you!
Offtopic: And I'm glad to see you are still around after all these years, my dear! :)
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF, BUT DON'T KILL THE OTHERS DREAMS !!!

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:35 pm

Am I the only one who heard similarities between Heroes clip when singing begins and Chasing Shadows. :?

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:07 pm

heretostay wrote:Am I the only one who heard similarities between Heroes clip when singing begins and Chasing Shadows. :?
Maybe thats why the album is called Reniassance(Revival)? ;)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:36 pm

I find it harder and harder to be sorry about Stratovarius-quitting, especially after hearing these clips. All the respect to Kotipelto, but there is no question who is the big daddy of all power metal -singers.

NP: Revolution Renaissance - I Did It My Way

Kiske ftw! 8)

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:56 pm

That's sounds too much of Stratovarius... And that's too bad thing in my opinion, if Tolkki would be very wise, he stop making music which hear just like Stratovarius... New band and then usually would be wise that music is fresh not that kind everybody have hear it before...
That album would be best Stratovarius album, but now when it's rr's album, it's too usual, like voice of Kiske, there is too many singers what I've listened who sounds just like that. :roll:

This was only my opinion :wink:
Meikä Ankka

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Wow, those songs definitely rock!!! Would have become definitely one of the best Stratovarius albums. Now it will be the convincing start of a new band. 8) I definitely was very sceptic about Revolution Rennaissance, but these samples are really convincing! Keep on Timo!!
I say this as a big Stratovarius-Fan and probably as a new "RR"-Fan. :)

PS: This ominous "R...R..."-title-thing has a funny effect, probably most fans of Revolution Rennaissance will always now the beginning, the roots of this name and the mysterious working title "R... R...". ^^

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:02 pm

StratoTimo wrote:That's sounds too much of Stratovarius... And that's too bad thing in my opinion, if Tolkki would be very wise, he stop making music which hear just like Stratovarius... New band and then usually would be wise that music is fresh not that kind everybody have hear it before...
That album would be best Stratovarius album, but now when it's rr's album, it's too usual, like voice of Kiske, there is too many singers what I've listened who sounds just like that. :roll:

This was only my opinion :wink:
Now this is a new one and deserves a prize!
There is actually Kiske and then 1 00000000 imitators. But Kiske is the best for this kind of music.
The prize goes to this guy because he did something that nobody could do for a long time: he surprised me. Not to make "Stratovarius music" anymore.
Get this: I dont make "Stratovarius music". I make music and that means expressing my inner self. It is not like I have a manual for writing songs.
I just write songs and dont plan the style.
And get this: if those people who blame RR clips would hear them not as "RR clips", they would most likely feel differently about them. Thus= it is not the music, but my personality and the break up, not so much the music.
Now I have said this before many times, but I write music for myself. WIthout that I would be dead. I do not write music for any group of people or for the fans. I write it for myself because I have to. I express myself.
I give the most humble thanks to anyone who supports me and buys my music, but it is not NECESSARY for me:) get it pal?

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:00 pm

TimoTolkki wrote: There is actually Kiske and then 1 00000000 imitators. But Kiske is the best for this kind of music.

I have to agree on that... Helloween released the Keepers around 87/88 and before that I can't actually recall any other singer who did what Kiske did in the Keepers. If I'm wrong, please, somebody correct me... cause I can't really remember any other voice that sounded like that by that time.
Kiske's voice is unique to melodic/power metal, but I don't think all the others who came after him are copies.
All the singers I love to hear - including Kotipelto - have got their own style and uniqueness, but at the same time I have to agree that Kiske is the one who started it all.
So it's kinda weird to imagine what Kiske is doing sounds like a copy... unless he is copying himself!

I also believe that TT's songs can't be a copy of Stratovarius songs, because we do know he is the main composer in the band. Therefore, I believe Stratovarius compositions basically sound like Timo's songs... I don't think how the contrary can be possible... it's nonsense to me.
Well, just my 2 cents...
Lady Elecktra - Warrioress and Keeper of the Light of Booga

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Demir

Post by Demir » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:05 pm

Stratobanger wrote: And well...I really like Kiske and Sammet...but in their own bands u.u

Acording to TT you will never hear. But if lucky you will hear a Stratovarius cover band called Revolution Renaissance, they will have new unknown singer and other musicians, and Tolkki :lol:

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:16 pm

Demir wrote:
Stratobanger wrote: And well...I really like Kiske and Sammet...but in their own bands u.u

Acording to TT you will never hear. But if lucky you will hear a Stratovarius cover band called Revolution Renaissance, they will have new unknown singer and other musicians, and Tolkki :lol:
Is it really that hard?:) The singer wont be unknown by the way....

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:07 am

TimoTolkki wrote:
Demir wrote:

Well It doesnt really matter if the singer is known or not does it? As long as he is able to sing well and his vocals mix well the songs. Having a Known singer would be a plus though I guess. If kiske would only stay the singer of RR that would be awesome!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:20 am

Plisken wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
Demir wrote:

Well It doesnt really matter if the singer is known or not does it? As long as he is able to sing well and his vocals mix well the songs. Having a Known singer would be a plus though I guess. If kiske would only stay the singer of RR that would be awesome!
Or, SHE is able? :?

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:37 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
Plisken wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
Demir wrote:

Oh no, please!
Not... again!

You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:13 am

Please don't take that serious! :D It was just that Plisken kept saying "he" "he" "he" and there are so many good female Metal singers, I felt that the pronoun needed to be included! :)
Plus, TT said it would not be an unknown singer, so it made me wonder if he had an idea already of who it would be? ???

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:23 am

It will be Kirka!

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:29 am

StragOvariuS wrote:It will be Kirka!
:lol: hahaha! XD

@BEG: Well... maybe Doro Pesch would suit?
She is a hell of a singer and has a killer voice!
If a female singer would suit for this album I think it would require a person with a more powerful voice and personality.

I just got "scared" cause I had enough of Tarja's wannabes, you know? :err:

Raven

Post by Raven » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:36 am

TimoTolkki wrote:
As I have said, for me the actual decision was clear and actually easy (based on the situation and my own feelings), but it doesnt mean that leaving behind 24 years is easy either.
Why didn't you just fire these "two difficult personalities" and continued making music under the glorious name of Stratovarius? You have done it before when Lassila and Ikonen left the band. I'm quite sure that it have been easier for many fans to listen these songs if there have been at least Jens and Lauri and the familiar name.

You are (were) the main songwriter and the leader of Stratovarius as far as I understand.

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:00 am

Raven wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
As I have said, for me the actual decision was clear and actually easy (based on the situation and my own feelings), but it doesnt mean that leaving behind 24 years is easy either.
Why didn't you just fire these "two difficult personalities" and continued making music under the glorious name of Stratovarius? You have done it before when Lassila and Ikonen left the band. I'm quite sure that it have been easier for many fans to listen these songs if there have been at least Jens and Lauri and the familiar name.

You are (were) the main songwriter and the leader of Stratovarius as far as I understand.
Timo Kotipelto and Jörg Michael were the essential people in Strato and I cannot continue under the same name. Lassila and Ikonen were a different story, the band was not nearly as popular. So I am doing it for the fans.
And that quote from Kiske interview of me saying that RR has better singer was a joke. The guy just "forgot" to put this sign ";)" there.

Verdades Parias

Post by Verdades Parias » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:42 am

TimoTolkki wrote:
Raven wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:

Timo Kotipelto and Jörg Michael were the essential people in Strato and I cannot continue under the same name. Lassila and Ikonen were a different story, the band was not nearly as popular. So I am doing it for the fans.
And that quote from Kiske interview of me saying that RR has better singer was a joke. The guy just "forgot" to put this sign ";)" there.

Well, I might live with a new era for Stratovarius. But more harder is live without Stratovarius

Stratobanger

Post by Stratobanger » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:59 am

TimoTolkki wrote:
Demir wrote:

It's not that hard, it's just that changes are hard to take...

And to be honest, I'd rather have a power trio haha

Anders Johansson on drums
Jens Johansson on keyboards
Timo Tolkki on vocals, guitar, bass, cowbell, etc

Well...I'd really like to hear you singing again! those pre-kotipelto records are awesome!

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:35 am

Stratobanger wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
Demir wrote:

It's not that hard, it's just that changes are hard to take...

And to be honest, I'd rather have a power trio haha

Anders Johansson on drums
Jens Johansson on keyboards
Timo Tolkki on vocals, guitar, bass, cowbell, etc

Well...I'd really like to hear you singing again! those pre-kotipelto records are awesome!
Yep, that way it might become even better than Gamma ray. :) (I mean with TT singing again, don't really care about the other musicians)

yeah but a lower voice would suit better as tose have more personality in power&progressive metal. :roll:

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:33 pm

TimoTolkki wrote:Timo Kotipelto and Jörg Michael were the essential people in Strato and I cannot continue under the same name. Lassila and Ikonen were a different story, the band was not nearly as popular. So I am doing it for the fans.
Yeah, I am 100% sure there would have been more fans getting annoyed the situation if Stratovarius would have continued without TK and Jörg than fans who would have liked that. When thinking from the eyes of the fans, the decision to break the whole band and start a new one sounds much easier and acceptable way, specially as Strato was pretty a popular band on its scene.

Well, I laughed at a bit for that comment in the interview. :P In my opinion Kiske and Kotipelto are so different singers, although both have been singing power metal, that it´s quite useless comparing them.

Edit: My guess for the coming RR singer is of course Pasi Rantanen.
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:02 pm

I'd like to see RR as:

Jens: Keyboards. (Hey, it's your friend!)

Anders: Drums.

Tolkki: Guitar / voice in some songs.

Bass: Lepond or Exxel. (For me Symphony X has one of the best bass sounds I've never heard). Exxel is one of my favourites too.

Voices: Sammet or Kiske. I prefer Sammet.

Hey Tolkki, why don't you think about singing again? You have a great voice. At least some songs...

I prefer to listen Tolkki singing than any "new" unknown singer.

I know this won't be possible, but...
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

black death

Post by black death » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:29 pm

IceBreaker wrote:Edit: My guess for the coming RR singer is of course Pasi Rantanen.
Yeah, I was thinking about him too. The RR sample with Pasi rulezzzz :D

Cristiane

Post by Cristiane » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:29 pm

IceBreaker wrote: Edit: My guess for the coming RR singer is of course Pasi Rantanen.
How about Heikki Pöyhiä from Twilightning?
He might be "unknown" but he has a great voice!

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:58 pm

black death wrote:
IceBreaker wrote:Edit: My guess for the coming RR singer is of course Pasi Rantanen.
Yeah, I was thinking about him too. The RR sample with Pasi rulezzzz :D
He is not Pasi and he is not Finnish.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:00 pm

TimoTolkki wrote: There is actually Kiske and then 1 00000000 imitators. But Kiske is the best for this kind of music.
Imitating Kiske is really what power metal -singing is based on.
Can't wait to hear New Era with the master himself doing that after 20 years of waiting. :)
Cristiane wrote: I have to agree on that... Helloween released the Keepers around 87/88 and before that I can't actually recall any other singer who did what Kiske did in the Keepers. If I'm wrong, please, somebody correct me... cause I can't really remember any other voice that sounded like that by that time.
Geoff Tate (Queensrÿche) sounds a bit like Kiske.

Stratobanger

Post by Stratobanger » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:30 pm

I think it's really hard to fill Kotipelto's shoes...mostly because well...as Tolkki has stated that he will be playing Stratosongs...I think that would kind of difficult for fans

That's why I think that the best is to start a whole new band, with new songs, and without any past to live up to.

I hope I make myself clear, I loooooooove Stratovarius, and I support Tolkki with his decision, but I wouldn't like to hear Black Diamond with someone else that's not Kotipelto u__u

Buuuuuuuuuuuut...I totally want to hear some old tunes such as Madness Strikes At Midnight, Break The Ice, Dreamspace...with Tolkki's hard rocking voice

Anyway...that's what I think...

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:31 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
Plisken wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
Demir wrote:

Sure SHE too but I was talking about just RR. The Whole album doesnt have a Female vocalist so its pretty apparent that its going to be a guy. I know there are a lot of great female vocalist out there.... Nightwish for example.