Revolution Renaissance

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
User avatar
nefertari
Sr. Member
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:12 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by nefertari » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:24 pm

I finally listened to New Era , the songs are great, Tolkki is great for making music. But the album sounded IMHO like a Stratovarius- cover band :? .A lot slower one without the passion and soul...and Mirka´s drums are too weak...I miss Jörg´s work and Koti´s voice :P

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27239
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:32 pm

nefertari wrote:I finally listened to New Era , the songs are great, Tolkki is great for making music. But the album sounded IMHO like a Stratovarius- cover band :? .A lot slower one without the passion and soul...and Mirka´s drums are too weak...I miss Jörg´s work and Koti´s voice :P
I plan on getting the EP Version as soon as it becomes available in USA. When that will be, I don't know. Sometimes Europe is ahead of us 2 months or longer in getting CD releases.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:48 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:But, tell me something. Why are most people praising the EP Version(with ORIGINAL members)more than the version without? ???
Because they have the ORIGINAL members and that's all that seems to matter to some people.
Besides it's only the Stratovarius-fans who think New Era suck (check all the reviews) and that those low-quality demo-versions are better. I've listened both versions of each song and I can honestly say none of the demo-versions is even close to the New Era -versions. Especially the ones with Kiske. :P
browneyedgirl wrote:As far as "deserting" Tolkki, that has to be the most laughable comment ever. Are you saying in a free society that people cannot decide what music they like, or don't like? Tolkki is just a musician, not a family member.
Sure they can, that's not what I meant.
What I meant was, I think it's stupid when people desert a band ONLY because "it's not the same" anymore and don't even give the new material a chance.
Obviously there are bands that changed and I don't like their new material anymore. For example: post-Dio era Rainbow and post-Empire era Queensrÿche. Gamma Ray is slowly going there also. :/

User avatar
black death
Sr. Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by black death » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:58 pm

Mormegil wrote:I've listened both versions of each song and I can honestly say none of the demo-versions is even close to the New Era -versions. Especially the ones with Kiske. :P
Kiske versions suck. Pasi rulez! :P

mmarton88
Jr. Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:19 pm

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by mmarton88 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:47 pm

Mormegil wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:But, tell me something. Why are most people praising the EP Version(with ORIGINAL members)more than the version without? ???
Because they have the ORIGINAL members and that's all that seems to matter to some people.
Besides it's only the Stratovarius-fans who think New Era suck (check all the reviews) and that those low-quality demo-versions are better. I've listened both versions of each song and I can honestly say none of the demo-versions is even close to the New Era -versions. Especially the ones with Kiske. :P

Yes, that's right. The Stratovarius fans like the music of STRATOVARIUS. But TT's songs and lyrics are only elements of this music. Jörg's drumming is an other element, T.K.'s voice is an other element, J.J. is an other element... It's like a "puzzle". And we like this elements together, becaus this IS Stratovarius. And on the demos we can hear Stratovarius music. New Era is just a "tribute" album with great singers. There are only 2-3 elements of Stratovarius there. From your voice I can feel that you aren't a fan of Stratovaius. That's all right. But than what the hell are you doing here, on a Stratovarius fan forum? If you're not a fan...
We can accept the changes that's why we are waiting for the new guitarist and the new Strato album from Jens and TK.
Lot's of metalheads are happy about the tragedy of Stratovarius. Because they can hear again Kiske's fuc*ing voice. I love him too. His voice is great! I'm a helloween fan too. But I think for the music of the New Era album only belongs to one singer, Mr. Timo Kotipelto. I love the songs with Kiske, they're cool. But this is Timo's world. But of course if you're not a fan, or you like Kiske better then TK (which is absolutely OK), just listen the new album and enjoy it;) But we miss T.K. because for us he his voice belongs to the music.

SquallSaga
Jr. Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:45 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by SquallSaga » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Mormegil wrote:Gamma Ray is slowly going there also. :/
What the hell are you saying ?!? What's going on ????

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:03 pm

And, there never has been anyone else(or whose fans)who has used mental disability to "cover up" or "excuse" ones actions, bad decisions, or "mistakes"like this. Everyone, ill or not, makes their share of stumbles throughout life but only in this case we see "enablers"who actually try to whitewash everything he does. In the real world, a "regular" person would have been given help&told to shape up, or ship out, and get a life.
As far as I know, nobody is laughing at Tolkki, matter of fact, its the damn opposite.


I was just responding to the guy saying he wanted to make a book that covered lies. if it's done it should be done tastefully and give some deep insight into the real issues and give suggestions on how to learn from mistakes and help others that have gone through similar situations. I’m not saying a mental illness is a complete cover up but I think the book needs to be well rounded and show him as a person with good and bad and how he has received the world instead of this "tolkki lies" evil grin thing. in the real world humane people would give their love and support to help that person become healthy instead of writing a book about their lies for their own benefit. If a book is about his lies it better logically prove deliberate deception for each claim. As far as I know timo has not caused moral harm that has disabled someone else’s basic right to life. i think his lyrics tell a life story because some of them are very positive and others negative

User avatar
Babylon
Sr. Member
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Babylon » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:47 pm

Well back on topic, I finally heard the whole album and well I was not impressed at all.

I really like 3 songs: I Did It My Way, We Are Magic (imagine Kotipelto singing this...) and Last Night On Earth. I thought Revolution Renaissance was good, except it sounds a lot like Soul Of A Vagabond.

Angel and Keep The Flame Alive are B O R I N G! The only good thing about them is that Kiske does the vocals - he can sing the fuckin Macarena and make it sound good. And as much as I like Tobias Sammet's voice, Heroes and Glorious and Divine sound like plain generic power metal.

Maybe it will take a few more listens to get into this album, but all I can say so far is that if this was gonna be the next Stratovarius album, the band was really just better off breaking up...

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:22 pm

mmarton88 wrote:Yes, that's right. The Stratovarius fans like the music of STRATOVARIUS. But TT's songs and lyrics are only elements of this music. Jörg's drumming is an other element, T.K.'s voice is an other element, J.J. is an other element... It's like a "puzzle". And we like this elements together, becaus this IS Stratovarius. And on the demos we can hear Stratovarius music. New Era is just a "tribute" album with great singers. There are only 2-3 elements of Stratovarius there. From your voice I can feel that you aren't a fan of Stratovaius. That's all right. But than what the hell are you doing here, on a Stratovarius fan forum? If you're not a fan...
We can accept the changes that's why we are waiting for the new guitarist and the new Strato album from Jens and TK.
Lot's of metalheads are happy about the tragedy of Stratovarius. Because they can hear again Kiske's fuc*ing voice. I love him too. His voice is great! I'm a helloween fan too. But I think for the music of the New Era album only belongs to one singer, Mr. Timo Kotipelto. I love the songs with Kiske, they're cool. But this is Timo's world. But of course if you're not a fan, or you like Kiske better then TK (which is absolutely OK), just listen the new album and enjoy it;) But we miss T.K. because for us he his voice belongs to the music.
First of all, I am a Stratovarius fan. There's a fair chance I've been fan of them longer than you and I still listen to them at least on weekly basis.
Seems like the only thing that differs me from other Strato-fans is that I'm not bitter about them not continuing. If now there will be two bands doing albums like "New Era" instead of one band doing albums like "Stratovarius" then I'm not sad at all. :)
One thing about your post that I don't agree on is:
"I think for the music of the New Era album only belongs to one singer, Mr. Timo Kotipelto."
IMHO if Kotipelto hasn't contributed on the song-writing, then those songs belong just as much to Kiske as to Kotipelto. The only one who they really belong is the writer himself, Tolkki.
SquallSaga wrote:
Mormegil wrote:Gamma Ray is slowly going there also. :/
What the hell are you saying ?!? What's going on ????
I thought Land Of The Free Part II sounded too much like Powerplant, my least favourite GR album, that's all. I'll probably start liking them if their next album is more of a "back-to-the-roots" style. ;)

andrewhawnt
Jr. Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Sheffield, England
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by andrewhawnt » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:44 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Andrew Hawnt interviewed Tolkki last week, and the interview is going to be in a future POWERPLAY magazine.
I did indeed, and had a great time. You wouldn't believe how nervous I was!

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Rebel » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:47 pm

andrewhawnt wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:Andrew Hawnt interviewed Tolkki last week, and the interview is going to be in a future POWERPLAY magazine.
I did indeed, and had a great time. You wouldn't believe how nervous I was!
I would be too if I was talking to TT, considering what he did to Jens when Jens pissed him off.

andrewhawnt
Jr. Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Sheffield, England
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by andrewhawnt » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:55 pm

Rebel wrote:
andrewhawnt wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:Andrew Hawnt interviewed Tolkki last week, and the interview is going to be in a future POWERPLAY magazine.
I did indeed, and had a great time. You wouldn't believe how nervous I was!
I would be too if I was talking to TT, considering what he did to Jens when Jens pissed him off.
It went well- should hopefully be an interesting read when it comes out in the next issue...

Stratowarius
Sr. Member
Posts: 1702
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Stratowarius » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:09 pm

:) Did you buy everything he said????

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27239
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:54 pm

andrewhawnt wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:Andrew Hawnt interviewed Tolkki last week, and the interview is going to be in a future POWERPLAY magazine.
I did indeed, and had a great time. You wouldn't believe how nervous I was!
Andrew? Mr. Hawnt? Is that really you? ???
We've had George Bush,King Arthur, and Jesus Christ. why not you, right? :D
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

andrewhawnt
Jr. Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:41 pm
Location: Sheffield, England
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by andrewhawnt » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:06 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
andrewhawnt wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:Andrew Hawnt interviewed Tolkki last week, and the interview is going to be in a future POWERPLAY magazine.
I did indeed, and had a great time. You wouldn't believe how nervous I was!
Andrew? Mr. Hawnt? Is that really you? ???
We've had George Bush,King Arthur, and Jesus Christ. why not you, right? :D
heh ;P Yes this is me. Just came across this thread while checking where things had been linked to. I did really enjoy the RR album- despite all the problems surrounding its creation it's a strong bunch of songs. Tolkki was very pleased with Kiske's performance, which is something he mentioned a few times to me. I do love the songs with Kiske on. It isn't Stratovarius, but it does have the hallmarks. Enjoying reading the forum btw, nice to be somewhere full of actual music fans :)

MikeWacho
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by MikeWacho » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:13 am

mmarton88 wrote:this IS Stratovarius
no...

THIS IS TROY!!!

and its damn burning down....

User avatar
stratohawk
Sr. Member
Posts: 3067
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:35 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by stratohawk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:23 am

MikeWacho wrote:
mmarton88 wrote:this IS Stratovarius
no...

THIS IS TROY!!!

and its damn burning down....
This is SPARTAAAA!!!! :D

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by RazielSR » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:25 am

stratohawk wrote:
MikeWacho wrote:
mmarton88 wrote:this IS Stratovarius
no...

THIS IS TROY!!!

and its damn burning down....
This is SPARTAAAA!!!! :D
lol, we have the name for the new remaining members band: "This is Sparta"

XD
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

MikeWacho
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by MikeWacho » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:25 am

well timo said he gave a greek's gift soooo, seems more like troy...

but also sparta falled thnx to he's way of doing things so...

THI IS STRATOFLAMERIUS!!!!

User avatar
scorp
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: Piraeus, Hellas

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by scorp » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:16 pm

Bought the RR version of New Era and I can say that it's okay. But it lacks an identity... It's a Strato-wanna-be album which doesn't really make it. It's not bad but it's far from the demo version... It's much softer and slower and some parts sound boring compared with the Strato demo. Anyway... It's goon in overal. That's what I think now at least. I hope for the future...
It's just my opinion of course (of course it's mine, I couldn't express an opinion for someone else :P )

And cause someone mentioned it... Land of the Free II KICKS ASS! :P
Insurrection!

User avatar
Lurdi
Sr. Member
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: On the Mediterranean

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Lurdi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:48 pm

I like the album very much. Being Tolkki its composer and singing Kiske,Sammet in that album (I love Edguy & Avantasia)and so on it's impossible not to love it. Unfortunately it is a very short album. I also miss TK's voice but at the same time I'm happy this was not finally a Strato album. It doesn't fit Strato's style in my opinion. It's a different album, well done, but different.
An album already born upon the cross, maybe before it was born.

User avatar
AGAG
Sr. Member
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:04 am
Location: El Salvador

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by AGAG » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:13 am

It's a success just for people who hadn't heard 4th dimension... episode, and don't know what does Stratovarius means... oh and for those who don't know that Tolkki disbanded it...

For me RR version was ok.... but the Koti's demos were awesome, especially heroes, the final epic scream on Glorios divine, keep the flame alive...

But it wouldn't have been a good strato album it would have been public suicide or worst... :)

User avatar
Babylon
Sr. Member
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Babylon » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:45 am

scorp wrote:Bought the RR version of New Era and I can say that it's okay. But it lacks an identity... It's a Strato-wanna-be album which doesn't really make it. It's not bad but it's far from the demo version... It's much softer and slower and some parts sound boring compared with the Strato demo. Anyway... It's goon in overal. That's what I think now at least. I hope for the future...
It's just my opinion of course (of course it's mine, I couldn't express an opinion for someone else :P )

And cause someone mentioned it... Land of the Free II KICKS ASS! :P
Yes. I agree with you, it does lack identity. I mean, if it had some random singer or maybe Tolkki on vocals... I don't think as many people would be interested on listening to it.

And yes, Land of the Free II kicks ass and so does Gambling With The Devil!!

User avatar
scorp
Member
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 4:16 pm
Location: Piraeus, Hellas

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by scorp » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Babylon wrote:And yes, Land of the Free II kicks ass and so does Gambling With The Devil!!
HELL YEAH! :D
Insurrection!

User avatar
Babylon
Sr. Member
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Babylon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:09 am

scorp wrote:
Babylon wrote:And yes, Land of the Free II kicks ass and so does Gambling With The Devil!!
HELL YEAH! :D
I know we're going a little off topic, but the more I listen to GWTD, the more I love it. I gotta say this is the best Helloween album since The Time Of The Oath!

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Rebel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:58 am

Babylon wrote:
scorp wrote:
Babylon wrote:And yes, Land of the Free II kicks ass and so does Gambling With The Devil!!
HELL YEAH! :D
I know we're going a little off topic, but the more I listen to GWTD, the more I love it. I gotta say this is the best Helloween album since The Time Of The Oath!
Dude, the Dark Ride kicked Time of the Oath's ass.

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Mormegil » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:03 pm

Rebel wrote:
Babylon wrote:
scorp wrote:
Babylon wrote:And yes, Land of the Free II kicks ass and so does Gambling With The Devil!!
HELL YEAH! :D
I know we're going a little off topic, but the more I listen to GWTD, the more I love it. I gotta say this is the best Helloween album since The Time Of The Oath!
Dude, the Dark Ride kicked Time of the Oath's ass.
I wholeheartedly agree that Gambling is the greatest since Time Of The Oath. I absolutely adore it. Kill It became instantly one of my favourite-songs by them.

The Dark Ride had a few truly great song (The Dark Ride, Immortal, Mr. Torture), but also for me some of the worst stuff Helloween did since the notorious Pink Bubbles/Chameleon -era (The Departed, Escalation 666, Mirror Mirror). I think those songs were very similar to Owens-era Judas Priest - classic metal band trying to be all dark and heavy with emo-lyrics and by, like Michael Weikath put it: "playing riffs that every 14-year old could play".

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Rebel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:55 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Babylon wrote:
scorp wrote:
Babylon wrote:And yes, Land of the Free II kicks ass and so does Gambling With The Devil!!
HELL YEAH! :D
I know we're going a little off topic, but the more I listen to GWTD, the more I love it. I gotta say this is the best Helloween album since The Time Of The Oath!
Dude, the Dark Ride kicked Time of the Oath's ass.
I wholeheartedly agree that Gambling is the greatest since Time Of The Oath. I absolutely adore it. Kill It became instantly one of my favourite-songs by them.

The Dark Ride had a few truly great song (The Dark Ride, Immortal, Mr. Torture), but also for me some of the worst stuff Helloween did since the notorious Pink Bubbles/Chameleon -era (The Departed, Escalation 666, Mirror Mirror). I think those songs were very similar to Owens-era Judas Priest - classic metal band trying to be all dark and heavy with emo-lyrics and by, like Michael Weikath put it: "playing riffs that every 14-year old could play".
Mirror Mirror was decent I'd say, and I thought "If I could Fly" was also truly great.

User avatar
Babylon
Sr. Member
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Contact:

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Babylon » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:16 am

Rebel wrote:
Babylon wrote:
scorp wrote:
Babylon wrote:And yes, Land of the Free II kicks ass and so does Gambling With The Devil!!
HELL YEAH! :D
I know we're going a little off topic, but the more I listen to GWTD, the more I love it. I gotta say this is the best Helloween album since The Time Of The Oath!
Dude, the Dark Ride kicked Time of the Oath's ass.
First of all, I'm not a dude :D I do love The Dark Ride.... The title track is one of my favorite Helloween songs, but I like TTOTO more, to me that album is just perfect.

Mormegil wrote:I wholeheartedly agree that Gambling is the greatest since Time Of The Oath. I absolutely adore it. Kill It became instantly one of my favourite-songs by them.
Oh yea, that is an awesome song. The Saints, Dreambound, Paint A New World, Heaven Tells No Lies... dammit it's all great! :D

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2142
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: Revolution Renaissance

Post by Rebel » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:09 am

Babylon wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Babylon wrote:
scorp wrote:
Babylon wrote:And yes, Land of the Free II kicks ass and so does Gambling With The Devil!!
HELL YEAH! :D
I know we're going a little off topic, but the more I listen to GWTD, the more I love it. I gotta say this is the best Helloween album since The Time Of The Oath!
Dude, the Dark Ride kicked Time of the Oath's ass.
First of all, I'm not a dude :D I do love The Dark Ride.... The title track is one of my favorite Helloween songs, but I like TTOTO more, to me that album is just perfect.

Mormegil wrote:I wholeheartedly agree that Gambling is the greatest since Time Of The Oath. I absolutely adore it. Kill It became instantly one of my favourite-songs by them.
Oh yea, that is an awesome song. The Saints, Dreambound, Paint A New World, Heaven Tells No Lies... dammit it's all great! :D
As far as Deris albums
1. Dark Ride
2. Keeper 3
3. TTOTO
4. Better than Raw
5. Rabbits

Locked