Page 1 of 3

Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:15 pm
by Stratovarius
A thank-you statement posted today:
A thank you

Open letter to Timo Tolkki from three remaining Stratovarius members.

Dear Timo, we thank you for the waiver of your rights dated May 20, 2008 in the name Stratovarius, and the gift of your share of the income from the back catalog.

Technically and morally none of us was in the position to alone give or withhold the name Stratovarius. So, this certainly clarifies the situation, and we three thank you for that.

Good luck with your projects in the future!

Jörg Michael, Jens Johansson and Timo Kotipelto
Discuss here if you desire.

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:03 pm
by Plisken
Thats pretty cool so you guys are going to continue together making music and you can use the name you have become known by. One thing though its not signed by Lauri Porra, that mean he wont be with you guys anymore? or he didnt agree with using the name Stratovarius?

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:03 pm
by browneyedgirl
"Be careful of Greeks bearing gifts."

Good luck to you guys. :) I think a large portion of us fans support you, and are looking forward to the next Stratovarius album.

:headbang:

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm
by Special A
OH MY FIRST CORRECT reply!!!!! YIPEEE!!!
well....i hope Strato's new album will be very awesome! :D!
oh and im really touched about Lauri not being there anylonger, is there's reasons, then we are all ears!!

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm
by RazielSR
OMFG.
:fail:

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm
by JensJohansson
Plisken wrote:One thing though its not signed by Lauri Porra, that mean he wont be with you guys anymore?
No, Lauri is still involved in what come may.

Neither Lauri nor Jari were mentioned in TT's waiver/transfer document, that is the only reason.

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 pm
by RazielSR
And when are you gonna say something about your future guys?

Any songs! something!

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:29 pm
by Plisken
ah that makes sense i guess. well good luck man! I cant wait to hear you can come up with =)

PS. Gloy to the World is awesome!

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:34 pm
by JensJohansson
RazielSR wrote:And when are you gonna say something about your future guys? Any songs! something!
Well, when there is something concrete to tell, and preferably when there is some good news.

( I realize this looks a bit silly .. I'm very clearly posting in a forum about the fact that there is nothing really to post about yet :) )

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:39 pm
by RazielSR
JensJohansson wrote:
RazielSR wrote:And when are you gonna say something about your future guys? Any songs! something!
Well, when there is something concrete to tell, and preferably when there is some good news.

( I realize this looks a bit silly .. I'm very clearly posting in a forum about the fact that there is nothing really to post about yet :) )
Oh no...I thought when Lauri and all of you said in the statement "more info coming soon" it was because u were recording or something... :cry:

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:39 pm
by Lurdi
JensJohansson wrote:
RazielSR wrote:And when are you gonna say something about your future guys? Any songs! something!
Well, when there is something concrete to tell, and preferably when there is some good news.

( I realize this looks a bit silly .. I'm very clearly posting in a forum about the fact that there is nothing really to post about yet :) )
So what are you waiting for? Time is like gold and we cannot wait any longer...!!!

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:20 pm
by exe knight
I'm not sure if I should do this...
But this is what TT posted in the RR forum:
It is not a thank you. Funny how quickly "Tolkki's motivation was greed/Narcistic greedy Faust" turned to "Thank you". And of course no comment about my statement. Only about the money and
about exploiting the name Stratovarius.

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:46 pm
by StratoArwen
exe knight wrote:I'm not sure if I should do this...
But this is what TT posted in the RR forum:
It is not a thank you. Funny how quickly "Tolkki's motivation was greed/Narcistic greedy Faust" turned to "Thank you". And of course no comment about my statement. Only about the money and
about exploiting the name Stratovarius.
Wow, he sounds bitter still

Why would they have bothered making this statement if not to say thank you? To me it look like an olive branch or peace pipe

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:55 pm
by Verdades Parias
mmmm...


I'm thinking they could never have been able to continue with the band, unless it launches a media rumor ( "apparently continue as Stratovarius"). This means that could be an excellent move, or a big trap. If this is so, they deserve applause. :lol:

Good winds, continue as Stratovarius! you can do it now

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:23 pm
by RazielSR
Eeeedeeeeeeeeen is buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrniiiiinnnnnnnnnnng

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:39 pm
by browneyedgirl
Nobody is indispensible in the music industry. There have been big name bands in which half the band gets killed, dies, or leaves, and the band survives---successfully, I may add.
IM without Steve? :shock: Oh, the horror! :eek:

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:50 pm
by Maniac
OK, but here we don't have to do with such a case. Tolkki is alive. But since you referred it I also consider it unrespectful for some people to continue touring as Thin Lizzy when the founder of the band is not alive. It's how one thiks of a situation and the criteria that may have.
Have to remind you that some years ago Tolkki refused to continue with Strato if Kotipelto, Michael, Johansson weren't in the band. I believe that these guys should do the same now. The big difference is that then Tolkki decided that even T.K, J.M, J.J weren't original members. And he did the same now. Having all the rights to keep the band on his own, he preferred to quit, unfortunately the other members don't respect that. It's a pitty..

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:58 pm
by exe knight
More stuff from RRforums...
Two things on the statement make me think that it's hironical:

1. "Open Letter" -this is way too small to be an "open letter"-

2. "read 3922 words Tolkki's statement here": the number of the words on TT's statement is there for a reason ;-)


EDIT:

And this: "Hungry ki$$e$ May 20, 2008".

Well, i think that we haven't reach the bottom yet. Too sad situation.
Good that you noticed that "read 3922 words Tolkki's statement here" because that really is there
for a reason. Also why publicice an "open letter" about the waiver of rights and "thanking me" about
that openly if not to get points from fans?Don't you think that the transformation from "greedy Faust"
to "Thank you for the money" in just 3 weeks says something?
As I explained in my statement, my reasons for giving up all that was because the act of continuing as Stratovarius without me is evil to me. And that I don't want to have anything to do with evil and especially the money it generates. And here you find a corporate thank you from that very same evil:)
When you think about this "thank you" in the light of what I wrote in my recent statement, it has nothing to do with a warm hearted thank you. It is more like fuck you. Sad but true.
(note, the one above is by member...I think it was Season of Change, and the second post is by TT, and TT quoted SoC)

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:01 pm
by Rebel
browneyedgirl wrote:
Maniac wrote:I hope you guys understand at some time, that there cannot be Stratovarius without Timo Tolkki in the band, and stop this madness. Just imagine Iron Maiden without Steve Harris...
Nobody is indispensible in the music industry. There have been big name bands in which half the band gets killed, dies, or leaves, and the band survives---successfully, I may add.
IM without Steve? :shock: Oh, the horror! :eek:
Yeah, they'd have to steal Lauri Porra to fill that void
XD

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:08 pm
by exe knight
The thing that actually proves that this is NOT a "thank you" is when you click this link

http://strato.jens.org/tolkki-statement-2008-05-20.php

then in the small title down of the Stratovarius pic it says "Hungry ki$$e$ May 20, 2008".

You can't say "THANK YOU" and at the same time writing "Hungry ki$$e$".

Anyway, i think that the current Strato-situation is sick. At the end there will be no fans at all.

EDIT: Right now someone erased this "hungry ki$$es" and changed that title... Of course What a coincidence!!! :-)
And more interesting stuff (not by TT, by SoC.)

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:12 pm
by IceBreaker
*censored* weird. He may be right with this: "At the end there will be no fans at all. "

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 pm
by StratoArwen
exe knight wrote:
The thing that actually proves that this is NOT a "thank you" is when you click this link

http://strato.jens.org/tolkki-statement-2008-05-20.php

then in the small title down of the Stratovarius pic it says "Hungry ki$$e$ May 20, 2008".

You can't say "THANK YOU" and at the same time writing "Hungry ki$$e$".

Anyway, i think that the current Strato-situation is sick. At the end there will be no fans at all.

EDIT: Right now someone erased this "hungry ki$$es" and changed that title... Of course What a coincidence!!! :-)
And more interesting stuff (not by TT, by SoC.)
It was Tolkki who wrote "money hungry kiss of judas" not Stratovarius

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:17 pm
by StratoArwen
IceBreaker wrote:*censored* weird. He may be right with this: "At the end there will be no fans at all. "
Did you get censored here??

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:21 am
by Verdades Parias
Maniac wrote:I hope you guys understand at some time, that there cannot be Stratovarius without Timo Tolkki in the band, and stop this madness. Just imagine Iron Maiden without Steve Harris...
This band is not TIMO TOLKKI's RISING FORCE!!!! For God sake, let the guys do their stuff!!!. Timo tolkki is what it is, thanks to these guys, you're talking about people who have played with Saxon, Malmsteen, DIO!, Rage, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Axel Rudi Pell. And you say they can't do it?

Tolkki was part of Stravarius, the biggest undoubtedly, but it was not everything, that's a fact, the level of these musicians is really high. So stop idolizing!!!

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:00 am
by JensJohansson
If someone gives you a gift irrevocably and with no strings attached, surely not at least saying "thank you" would be a bit rude? :)

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:00 am
by IceBreaker
StratoArwen wrote:Did you get censored here??
No, just wrote that instead of the well-known word. :wink:

By the way, there´s added a couple more "how many words" figures links to the Thank you statement.
Tolkki's 3,922 word statement of May 20 can be read here » Mirror »
The actual waiver of rights can be seen here » Mirror »
Tolkki's 549 word statement of May 9 can be read here » Mirror »
Tolkki's 1,391 word statement of May 7 can be read here » Mirror »

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:10 am
by miditek
Verdades Parias wrote:
Maniac wrote:I hope you guys understand at some time, that there cannot be Stratovarius without Timo Tolkki in the band, and stop this madness. Just imagine Iron Maiden without Steve Harris...
This band is not TIMO TOLKKI's RISING FORCE!!!! For God sake, let the guys do their stuff!!!. Timo tolkki is what it is, thanks to these guys, you're talking about people who have played with Saxon, Malmsteen, DIO!, Rage, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Axel Rudi Pell. And you say they can't do it?

Tolkki was part of Stravarius, the biggest undoubtedly, but it was not everything, that's a fact, the level of these musicians is really high. So stop idolizing!!!
+1 (!) Although Tolkki was certainly the primary songwriter and producer, it also seems that he was also the primary source of trouble and drama as well. He should, of course, be given credit for his contributions to the band, and equally important, for seeking treatment for his illness, but in no way should be lionized or put up on some sort of pedestal.

I believe that each of these guys will do fine as they continue on their respective careers, and I agree with you @Verdades_Parias that this idolatry has gotten just a wee bit out o' hand! ;)

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:12 am
by Maniac
Verdades Parias wrote:
Maniac wrote:I hope you guys understand at some time, that there cannot be Stratovarius without Timo Tolkki in the band, and stop this madness. Just imagine Iron Maiden without Steve Harris...
This band is not TIMO TOLKKI's RISING FORCE!!!! For God sake, let the guys do their stuff!!!. Timo tolkki is what it is, thanks to these guys, you're talking about people who have played with Saxon, Malmsteen, DIO!, Rage, Grave Digger, Running Wild, Axel Rudi Pell. And you say they can't do it?

Tolkki was part of Stravarius, the biggest undoubtedly, but it was not everything, that's a fact, the level of these musicians is really high. So stop idolizing!!!
Seems that you got into Stratovarius with albums like Destiny & Infinite, and so I can get your point. I appreciate Jorg's & Jens participations but that doesn't mean anything about who is the history of Stratovarius. As you have the right to say that, I also have the right to say that there cannot be Stratovarius without Tolkki, since here is supposed to be a democratic forum..

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:20 am
by Beast_Pete
Well I guess you guys have to negotiate with Sanctuary first, then can you concentrate on writing songs. That's quite some times (several months at least).

Re: Tolkki's waiver and transfer of royalties

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:49 am
by NeonVomit
JensJohansson wrote:
RazielSR wrote:And when are you gonna say something about your future guys? Any songs! something!
Well, when there is something concrete to tell, and preferably when there is some good news.

( I realize this looks a bit silly .. I'm very clearly posting in a forum about the fact that there is nothing really to post about yet :) )
Well yeah, I imagine finding a guitarist is top of your list of priorities for the moment!