new band name

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Stratowarius
Sr. Member
Posts: 1702
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: new band name

Post by Stratowarius » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:19 am

:shock:What are you talking about?????? Lesbian lovers and roses and tits and tats??? Can you explain please??? :cyclop:

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27236
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: new band name

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:17 pm

Stratowarius, I don't think he knows what he means. ;)

@icecab21, you already have been tested. ;) You would make a good lawyer(or bodyguard) except for the fact that you are so damn obvious. :D

Now, on to positive.
I think the New Stratovarius album with Jens&Co. will be one of the best power metal albums to come along in years. Its possible it will beat the last few Stratovarius albums hands down. Because we know Jens&Co. strengths, and the music they will produce will be awesome! :music:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: new band name

Post by Rebel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:07 pm

I think we need to stop comparing Stratovarius to Stratovarius and start measuring their work against stuff like Unia and Gambling with the Devil (By Sonata Arctica and Helloween respectively)

User avatar
Verdades Parias
Sr. Member
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:34 pm
Location: Entre Ríos, ARGENTINA!!!

Re: new band name

Post by Verdades Parias » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:13 pm

Rebel wrote:Unia
:zzz:


apart of that, JENS in "STRATOVARIUS WRITING MODE" IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, thats why i'm waiting for this album, Ride like the wind is one of the best songs i ever heard, Glory of the world too

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: new band name

Post by Rebel » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Verdades Parias wrote:
Rebel wrote:Unia
:zzz:


apart of that, JENS in "STRATOVARIUS WRITING MODE" IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, thats why i'm waiting for this album, Ride like the wind is one of the best songs i ever heard, Glory of the world too
I'd have said Reckoning Night, but that's a bit older.

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: new band name

Post by icecab21 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:21 pm

Of course if you compare them to a non power metal album they will be a better power metal album

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27236
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: new band name

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:41 pm

Verdades Parias wrote:
Rebel wrote:Unia
:zzz:


apart of that, JENS in "STRATOVARIUS WRITING MODE" IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, thats why i'm waiting for this album, Ride like the wind is one of the best songs i ever heard, Glory of the world too
Don't forget Kotipelto, either!
He writes some of the best power metal songs out there! :music:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

User avatar
mo-ka
Sr. Member
Posts: 367
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:35 am
Location: Terni - Italy

Re: new band name

Post by mo-ka » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:46 pm

Strato can be OK...but their "lily" will remain?
Every moment is like gold, You'll remember when you're old.

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27236
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: new band name

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:29 am

mo-ka wrote:Strato can be OK...but their "lily" will remain?
Well, the fleur-de-lys can be a symbol for any group or organization. So, I think legally&morally they can use it if they want to.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: new band name

Post by hiro23 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:05 am

I think the new album will be amazing, I mean Jens wrote great songs like run away and kotipelto is a great singer and lyricist, yes I will say that it's going to sound different but in the end I'm sure it will still sound like stratovarius 8)
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: new band name

Post by icecab21 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:33 am

I just hope their song arrangements are as great as these songs will be. Listening to some of their solo stuff they have some great songs on them that are a little lacking in the guitar and atmosphere side. Just like I would have loved to hear new era done with full stratovarius arrangement I think tk and jj songs would be better with a stratovarius arrangement.

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: new band name

Post by RazielSR » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:39 am

I dont' like Kotipelto composing, at least not in his solo albums. For me is and always will be the best singer in the world (at least the best and most beautiful voice for me), but I don't like his solo stuff. I'm afraid about this new line-up. Time will tell, I just wish the best for them and I'd like to listen a extremely good power metal album coming from them.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: new band name

Post by icecab21 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:40 am

When kotipelto does his solo stuff he has a different goal then what he would write for when try’s to do a stratovarius song. I think he can create some great melodies but his songs should be arranged differently and have some big changes to the instruments. Give his music the guitar, drums and keyboard tones of stratovarius and that gives an instant improvement. give his songs more complicated arangments and that's another instant improvement/way to be closer to the neoclassical melodic power metal parts of stratovarius

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: new band name

Post by RazielSR » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:55 pm

That's true, Icecab, and that makes me think that they will compose great songs. He try to get another style of songs in his solo career, of course. I just hope they doesn't make the same with this new stratovarius.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

User avatar
MetalAngel
Sr. Member
Posts: 4355
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 4:23 pm
Contact:

Re: new band name

Post by MetalAngel » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Stratovarius is still Stratovarius and will stay it, with or without Tolkki. That's all. You shouldn't discuss more about rumours, which aren't, at least, based on reality or on some news. And, please, STOP TO BLAME TOLKKI OR ANYBODY ELSE. That's not so important to know all the story. Tolkki is only a human being and as a human being he can do some mistakes. The remaining members of Stratovarius are humans too...So, stop to take sides and you should begin to concentrate on something more important : the music.
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27236
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: new band name

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:04 pm

hiro23 wrote:I think the new album will be amazing, I mean Jens wrote great songs like run away and kotipelto is a great singer and lyricist, yes I will say that it's going to sound different but in the end I'm sure it will still sound like stratovarius 8)
Sure it will, because 4/5 of Stratovarius will still be present! :)
You know what is said about Rumors, though, a part is always based on facts. ;)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: new band name

Post by icecab21 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:10 pm

With LP being a part of warmen, kotipelto ,stratovarius, all parts that have 2 members of stratovarius participate in. from a branding perspective this gets a little fuzzy what makes him a part of the 4/5 members. He’s in the band because the rest of the guys like him and he’s a good person and musician but he is not a part of having the name rights. 2/5s of this band could go by kotipelto or stratovarius and 3/5s have toured as stratovarius and kotipelto. As long as they give fair play to tolkkis materal , they are stratovarius . a band is different without a songwriter, the name can be just a name, but the music of this new band will not be the same. If it’s the music that counts, then understand that (at least this is what I gather) is that tolkkis does not think the rest of the guys live his music the way he does and that his music is a part of the meaning of stratovarius to him. So in this sense he is purely thinking of the music. People keep saying he should shut up but if you read the lyrics the lyrics are what he lives when hes not having health problems. The guys seems prone to problems and people insulting him does not help that. Notice how he always pops up how much money goes to war and how many people are poor and how he has certain views on government and religion, that is all in his music as well and in the shows as backdrop. He says the rest of the band does not share this dedication to pessimism of mankind and feelings toward society and that that was a part of his music, the music of stratovairus. Im twisting some of what he says but might as well have fun doing so since it does not make sense to me and he says he does not like to explain his music. i think this oppionion of his has just come over the past couple of years since before he said he did not care if the lyrics were a united effort and if the rest of the band lived them like he does

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: new band name

Post by hiro23 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:50 pm

yeah but you also can't help but be a little offended when he says the other members aren't capable of writing music like him.

I know it can mean several things but in this case it's almost as if he's saying they'll never have what it takes.

Pink floyd went through the same thing when david gilmour wanted to carry on and roger waters was against it, and look what happened, we got great albums like momentary lapse of reason and the division bell.

I think the others members of stratovarius are capable of doing that.
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: new band name

Post by icecab21 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:50 pm

With pink Floyd my favorite song on the turning away is the Gilmour’s pink Floyd. I could find it I think I posted the link on the rr forum where I went mentioned the pink Floyd one with tolkki. I think Rogers says that the Gilmour Floyd is such a different view lyrically than the waters lyrics that it made him laugh.

I think on the songwriting part tolkki is thinking about how it’s his nature to write about what he writes about and that he is moving in a direction away from what the rest of the guys are all about. I have a hard time seeing that the rest of the band took a non interest to the material and were just a along for the ride. I think the rest of the guys might do a song more like paradise than celestial dream, mother Gaia and some of the other more orchestrated nonmetal pieces. tolkki mentions on here that he could listen to Jens play the piano for hours and be really content with that so if they put some of that piano like stuff in a metalized and symphonic fashion I think he will have a much better opinion with it. I think he relates their songwriting to what they do in their solo careers and both guys write for a different goal in their solo career. But on the other hand he says that he has not liked the songs they brought to him as much and that they have turned up in solo cds. Of course he also has not even heard some of the material his ex band mates have created.

Everything here should turn out great. tolkki will have to choose what opinion he wants to take on everything and the rest of us can either enjoy it or pass it up. The names of bands are so fuzzy anyway. If the guys just wanted the money, they would do something more profitable. this is not going to be like the new ceo of a luxury car business taking over to scrap the luxury cars and turn the place into a used car lot for stolen cars( as fun as it is for me to imagine that and chicken little it)

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: new band name

Post by hiro23 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:23 am

I agree, I just say we should see what the new material is going to sound like, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: new band name

Post by icecab21 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:06 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BkBt5tM ... re=related

wells heres kotipelto sos done awsomely.


heres a stratovarius sos done awsomely
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClvlwOCIZFM

i do wander what arrangements of songs the guys will use in concerts if they keep stratovarius. this new guitar player i hope will be influenced by tolkkis guitar style ( well just guitar style since i want the band to have great chemistry and love what they are doing and creating)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm7U9hUo ... re=related

posting sos i might as well post the one with tk's real sos accident. scary situation thankfully it did not turn out worse.


and just because this one has a real loud bass so we get to hear a tk lp playing a kotipelto song thats one of my favorites of his in the chourus area. tk has to be sick in this one though fun high notes here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfc4Z87u ... re=related


and heres the sos from that concert for one more sos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKSI0IZ5 ... re=related

User avatar
AMBR@BEC
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: new band name

Post by AMBR@BEC » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:50 pm

Verdades Parias wrote:...it seems that they are really dealing with the YES/NO Stratovarius. Big dilema!
Yes, that does seem to be the dilemma, and a tricky one it is. It seems using the Stratovarius name has the potential to stir up more controversy and bad vibes than it's worth. Using Strato would seem a good alternative, but even that abbreviation seems to illicit some negative reactions. Could be a no-win situation.

Other variations of the name might be more universally acceptable and still retain some "brand-label" value.

Stratology - got the Strato in the front and sort of implies a philosophy. Might be good/might backfire. A Google search shows it's been used in a variety of ways before.

Straterra - sounds cool and sort of earth, or world inspired. Unfortunately, it's also the name of a non-stimulant drug used to treat ADHD. THAT might breed some odd speculation.

Stratocracy - another cool sounding name, but it's an actual word for a type of government led by a military leader. Could also lead to unwanted correlations.

Stratociria - a kind of variation on the world stratocirrus which is a type of cloud. Maybe....

Stratosirius - adding the name of the brightest star that can be seen from Earth to the Strato prefix has a good sound and interesting meaning, but then again, people might draw an association with the satellite broadcaster whose adopted the name.

Truly a dilemma and one without an easy, no fault answer, I'm afraid. Good luck sorting this one out.
“He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool” A. Camus

Beyond Ear Candy Metal Radio
beyondearcandy.com
Photos from 2008 Winter NAMM and Blog on Ben in Iraq on MySpace myspace.com/ambr_bec

User avatar
Rebel
Sr. Member
Posts: 2134
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:41 am

Re: new band name

Post by Rebel » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:41 am

AMBR@BEC wrote:
Verdades Parias wrote:...it seems that they are really dealing with the YES/NO Stratovarius. Big dilema!
Yes, that does seem to be the dilemma, and a tricky one it is. It seems using the Stratovarius name has the potential to stir up more controversy and bad vibes than it's worth. Using Strato would seem a good alternative, but even that abbreviation seems to illicit some negative reactions. Could be a no-win situation.

Other variations of the name might be more universally acceptable and still retain some "brand-label" value.

Stratology - got the Strato in the front and sort of implies a philosophy. Might be good/might backfire. A Google search shows it's been used in a variety of ways before.

Straterra - sounds cool and sort of earth, or world inspired. Unfortunately, it's also the name of a non-stimulant drug used to treat ADHD. THAT might breed some odd speculation.

Stratocracy - another cool sounding name, but it's an actual word for a type of government led by a military leader. Could also lead to unwanted correlations.

Stratociria - a kind of variation on the world stratocirrus which is a type of cloud. Maybe....

Stratosirius - adding the name of the brightest star that can be seen from Earth to the Strato prefix has a good sound and interesting meaning, but then again, people might draw an association with the satellite broadcaster whose adopted the name.

Truly a dilemma and one without an easy, no fault answer, I'm afraid. Good luck sorting this one out.

Straterra isn't a stimulant?

User avatar
AMBR@BEC
Member
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:46 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: new band name

Post by AMBR@BEC » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:28 am

"Strattera is the first and only non-stimulant medication approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children, adolescents, and adults."
“He who despairs of the human condition is a coward, but he who has hope for it is a fool” A. Camus

Beyond Ear Candy Metal Radio
beyondearcandy.com
Photos from 2008 Winter NAMM and Blog on Ben in Iraq on MySpace myspace.com/ambr_bec

User avatar
AGAG
Sr. Member
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:04 am
Location: El Salvador

Re: new band name

Post by AGAG » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:29 am

AMBR@BEC wrote:"Strattera is the first and only non-stimulant medication approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in children, adolescents, and adults."
It's... perfect!!!
---...---

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: new band name

Post by hiro23 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:49 pm

I don't know, I still think that by placing such importance on one member we are acting as if the others didn't matter.

personally for me kotipelto was the one who got me listening to stratovarius, not tolkki
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27236
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: new band name

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:30 pm

hiro23 wrote:I don't know, I still think that by placing such importance on one member we are acting as if the others didn't matter.

personally for me kotipelto was the one who got me listening to stratovarius, not tolkki
+5 Me, too! I heard&saw AGAINST THE WIND video, and thought Koti's singing was out of this world great, and the rest is history! :) I started buying StratoCDs, and now I have the whole Shebang, except "The Past&Now". :( Hopefully, I will get it one day.
The point is, yeah, it was Koti's vocals that caught my attention to Stratovarius.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

User avatar
AGAG
Sr. Member
Posts: 7857
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:04 am
Location: El Salvador

Re: new band name

Post by AGAG » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:32 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
hiro23 wrote:I don't know, I still think that by placing such importance on one member we are acting as if the others didn't matter.

personally for me kotipelto was the one who got me listening to stratovarius, not tolkki
+5 Me, too! I heard&saw AGAINST THE WIND video, and thought Koti's singing was out of this world great, and the rest is history! :) I started buying StratoCDs, and now I have the whole Shebang, except "The Past&Now". :( Hopefully, I will get it one day.
The point is, yeah, it was Koti's vocals that caught my attention to Stratovarius.
Maybe that's the reason for the hatred between the band members, maybe Tolkki is jealous because TK was the one who gave the band a real place in the metal world...
---...---

User avatar
Lurdi
Sr. Member
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: On the Mediterranean

Re: new band name

Post by Lurdi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:09 pm

AGAG wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
hiro23 wrote:I don't know, I still think that by placing such importance on one member we are acting as if the others didn't matter.

personally for me kotipelto was the one who got me listening to stratovarius, not tolkki
+5 Me, too! I heard&saw AGAINST THE WIND video, and thought Koti's singing was out of this world great, and the rest is history! :) I started buying StratoCDs, and now I have the whole Shebang, except "The Past&Now". :( Hopefully, I will get it one day.
The point is, yeah, it was Koti's vocals that caught my attention to Stratovarius.
Maybe that's the reason for the hatred between the band members, maybe Tolkki is jealous because TK was the one who gave the band a real place in the metal world...
However I also like very much those songs sung by TT. In my opinion he also has a very beutiful voice, although I acknowledge I prefer TK's voice and for me he will always have the most beautiful male voice in the whole world.

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: new band name

Post by hiro23 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:50 pm

Lurdi wrote:
AGAG wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
hiro23 wrote:I don't know, I still think that by placing such importance on one member we are acting as if the others didn't matter.

personally for me kotipelto was the one who got me listening to stratovarius, not tolkki
+5 Me, too! I heard&saw AGAINST THE WIND video, and thought Koti's singing was out of this world great, and the rest is history! :) I started buying StratoCDs, and now I have the whole Shebang, except "The Past&Now". :( Hopefully, I will get it one day.
The point is, yeah, it was Koti's vocals that caught my attention to Stratovarius.
Maybe that's the reason for the hatred between the band members, maybe Tolkki is jealous because TK was the one who gave the band a real place in the metal world...
However I also like very much those songs sung by TT. In my opinion he also has a very beutiful voice, although I acknowledge I prefer TK's voice and for me he will always have the most beautiful male voice in the whole world.
I agree TT has a good voice too, however TK really did put Stratovarius on the map, before him not a whole lot of people even knew who stratovarius was.
metal feeds the beast

Locked