Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by hiro23 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:48 pm

Now I realize I'm going to be attacked,flamed, told I'm siding with "THEM" and that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I'm prepared for this, however I still wish to express this and I'm sure many other fans are with me.

Please keep the Stratovarius name guys, Stratovarius is more then just a band name it's something we fans have grown to love and would like to see continue on.

Now I do realize that there are people against this however I do believe that there are way more fans who are for you all carrying on stratovarius then there are against it.

I'm sure with you all at the helm that stratovarius has a bright and productive future ahead, please for us keep the legacy going.
metal feeds the beast

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by RazielSR » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:50 pm

I'm almost sure that the vast majority of the fans would like them to keep the name, so don't worry. :)
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

User avatar
JavyMetal1092
Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:00 am
Location: Chillán,Chile
Contact:

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by JavyMetal1092 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:29 am

RazielSR wrote:I'm almost sure that the vast majority of the fans would like them to keep the name, so don't worry. :)

I hope it is also because Stratovarius is a great, great name, it means mixing and synchrony between the metal and melody :)
I am very fond of that name, apart if they change what should I do with all my posters, wallets, folders, patches, etc.. I have them? Does the name cuts? :lol:
please no, and even until Stratofan sounds good, sounds good with everything, Stratovideos,Stratophoto,Stratomusic :lol: you are great Stratovarius

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27239
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:49 am

I hope they keep the name alive, too! :)
Just because one member("leader" or not) jumps ship its no reason to change everything.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by hiro23 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:22 am

That's why I have put this post up, I believe in the long run the pro's of keeping the name going far outweigh the con's.

I truly believe most of the fan base will be behind it 150%
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by icecab21 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:34 am

Keep the name alive. lp and mk will be the next to have the name and they can pass it on when they are done in the ever lasting cycle of changing band members and songwriters under the name stratovarius.

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27239
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:22 am

icecab21 wrote:Keep the name alive. lp and mk will be the next to have the name and they can pass it on when they are done in the ever lasting cycle of changing band members and songwriters under the name stratovarius.
But, isn't Jens at the helm now, more or less?

Stratovarius has not changed members near as often as some bands I could mention. Strato is pretty stable compared to many.
I think the current lineup will be in place for a while, they seem to have it all together.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by icecab21 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:58 am

school marching bands change their members every year.

As for the member change it’s just that the current members have started at the 4th and 5th commercial albums and there are 2 that have not been on any album yet. from the list of songs the guys said they were trying out 2 of the songwriters are ones that have never written a song for the name and the other 2 have only written a couple and written lyrics. That all of course is by the numbers stuff and the important part about this would be the band wanting to continue on from the best places from the old with new energy from the new. Since hopefully they will stay together for years to come, part of the name comes to what set lists they pick and if the old songs would be pushed off the set list for a majority or complete set of new songs.

User avatar
Inventariado
Member
Posts: 151
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:07 am
Location: Buenos Aires

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by Inventariado » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:13 am

'stratovarius' means a lot of things. I think it should all depend on the musical and conceptual direction the guys will take from now on. The answer will be there.
Mariano

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by hiro23 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:21 am

Inventariado wrote:'stratovarius' means a lot of things. I think it should all depend on the musical and conceptual direction the guys will take from now on. The answer will be there.
Agreed, plus the friendship between TK,JJ and JM doesn't seem to be one that's strained, what you need to take into account was the fact that TK and TT have had a rocky friendship for many years.

TT believes that TK didn't share his vision of the band and TK believed that TT was an arrogant asshole who wanted everything his way and wouldn't let him express himself.

now in this case it was no one's fault that they didn't like each other but the rest of the band shouldn't have to suffer because TT decided to leave the band.
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by icecab21 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:37 am

If stratovarious is a band that did not get enough expression from its own band members, should that be a reason to form a new name or keep a name? If tk is not so fond of tt's music and since if tts music is taken away we have no band, then what do we have left as a reason to keep the name? Are there any bands that have always had one songwriter and members that come and go, and then one day the songwriter leaves and the remaining members at that time kept the name and started to write new material in a new direction?

Those sentences are in self amusement because I think they would piss off grammar police, and pissing off grammar police is fun and the fact it takes away from the point and readability is amusing like in run on and non punctuated sentences such as this one.

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27239
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:35 am

Icecab21, would you please stop worrying about it! Its all going to be OK. The New Stratovarius is going to create&produce some very good music, you'll see. :music:
In the meantime, relax and put that damn Spoon down! :D
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2512
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by RazielSR » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:43 pm

Listening the pre-demos in the videos, I have changed a lot of things in my vision of the band. It sounds completely great and they must continue with the name if they want to.

I don't see any problem now, and what are we gonna do with all our mechandise, etc, etc?
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

User avatar
nefertari
Sr. Member
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:12 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by nefertari » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:55 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:I hope they keep the name alive, too! :)
Just because one member("leader" or not) jumps ship its no reason to change everything.
I agree totally :D

FrightNight
Jr. Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: Fourth Dimension

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by FrightNight » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:43 pm

Hope they don't continue under Stratovarius-name or abbreviated Strato. There can't be Stratovarius without Tolkki. It's same thing, that there can't be Nightwish without Tuomas Holopainen or Iron Maiden without Steve Harris. I know that many people here doesn't like Tolkki, because he broke up the band, but the fact is that Stratovarius, which we knew, was his creation (I know that he wasn't original member, but the very first Stratovarius was very different that the Stratovarius which we knew) and he is also written 95 % of the band's songs. You don't understand, that he composed Episode and Visions (I know that all the lyrics wasn't by him), which are ones of the greatest metal albums ever and without him there wouldn't be bands like Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Children of Bodom etc.

The second reason why don't continue under Stratovarius name, is it that they said that the new music will be different than Tolkki's music - heavier and progressivier (not symphonic- progressive like Elements).
"The New Stratovarius is going to create&produce some very good music, you'll see."
It's not Stratovarius anymore.

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by icecab21 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:34 pm

What does the music being good or not have to do with them using the name stratovarius? There is no doubt it will be cool music. Seems like that makes it into a "they are good people and musicians so they should keep the name".

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27239
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:40 pm

FrightNight wrote:Hope they don't continue under Stratovarius-name or abbreviated Strato. There can't be Stratovarius without Tolkki. It's same thing, that there can't be Nightwish without Tuomas Holopainen or Iron Maiden without Steve Harris. I know that many people here doesn't like Tolkki, because he broke up the band, but the fact is that Stratovarius, which we knew, was his creation (I know that he wasn't original member, but the very first Stratovarius was very different that the Stratovarius which we knew) and he is also written 95 % of the band's songs. You don't understand, that he composed Episode and Visions (I know that all the lyrics wasn't by him), which are ones of the greatest metal albums ever and without him there wouldn't be bands like Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Children of Bodom etc.

The second reason why don't continue under Stratovarius name, is it that they said that the new music will be different than Tolkki's music - heavier and progressivier (not symphonic- progressive like Elements).
"The New Stratovarius is going to create&produce some very good music, you'll see."
It's not Stratovarius anymore.
Part of growing up is realizing we don't always get what we want, and eventually learning to live with it.
Sorry, but it is the remaining StratoGuys decision of what name they want to use. Its not your decision, my decision, any fans decision, or even Tolkki's decision.
The guys are not stupid, and they will do what is best for the band in the long run. Give them alittle credit and confidence.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by icecab21 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:29 pm

It’s not really a want for them to use a name or not, it's more of a branding issue. The fact that they can pick whatever they want is a fact that squashes all discussion. That should not just be said to people that give reasons of why the branding of the name gets changed with the new lineup. You seem to give your reasons why they should keep it and don't seem to care about the bands choice until someone else gives reasons why they should not.

User avatar
black death
Sr. Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by black death » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:07 pm

nefertari wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:I hope they keep the name alive, too! :)
Just because one member("leader" or not) jumps ship its no reason to change everything.
I agree totally :D
Me too!


Inventariado, who is on your avatar? You? You (or who is it) look like one Czech pop singer :w00t:

User avatar
Lurdi
Sr. Member
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: On the Mediterranean

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by Lurdi » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Obviously it is not just a fucking band name. It is much more than it, it means a lot to us...It would be as if The Rolling Stones were going to change their name now :? I'd love them to continue with the name, but I think we will first know how the album is going to be called and when it is going to be released than the definite name of the band. :)

User avatar
R.F.
Member
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:46 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by R.F. » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:00 pm

Well, many posters`ve already said that Stratovarius name contains huge meaning for everyone here. For example, I`ve got an artistic reason to desire the band staying as Stratovarius. If Strato releases the new album it will be a slap in the genius`s face. Hm, you know whom I`m talking about) It would a briliant result of the events occured this year from the writer`s point of view *_* And personally for me it will give another proof that Tolstoy was right saying "If the so called truth is not for everyone, it has nothing to with truth".

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by hiro23 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:42 pm

Listen I do know and realize that tolkki wrote the bulk of the material and I still regard him as a genius musician, however if he didn't want the name to keep going with the other three then he never should have signed up that waiver of rights.

He should have just told them "listen I'm breaking up the band, find something else to do"

I mean the rights legally belong to TK,JJ and JM now, and yes I know there is talk of them just playing musical chairs with members, however I don't believe they would ever do that, cause if TK and JJ call it quits then the band is officially over.

now I'm not attacking anyone I'm simply stating the facts as I see them, I'll reiterate if tolkki didn't want them to use the name the waiver should never have signed.
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
Lurdi
Sr. Member
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: On the Mediterranean

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by Lurdi » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:52 pm

But hiro23, don't worry, nobody's attacking you, on the contrary. The vast majority is agree with you!
I hope they say soon what they are going to do. Now we already know they are continuing together the name issue is yet to be said. Maybe they decide to be called 'the unnamed band' Do you imagine going to a show of the unnamed band? :lol:

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by hiro23 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:05 pm

Lurdi wrote:But hiro23, don't worry, nobody's attacking you, on the contrary. The vast majority is agree with you!
I hope they say soon what they are going to do. Now we already know they are continuing together the name issue is yet to be said. Maybe they decide to be called 'the unnamed band' Do you imagine going to a show of the unnamed band? :lol:
Thanks man for the vote of support, and I didn't mean to sound as if I thought people were attacking me either.
I just simply wanted to state the situation as I saw it.

I mean I'll still be happy if they call themselves something else and I'll still buy both their albums and Tolkki's albums, However since they do own the rights to the name now I just say why not carry on.

Now it would be one thing if this was a plethora of crappy musicians trying to carry on the name but it's not, as we know the current line up is composed of some very excellent musicians.

Seriously I believe if the current line up goes on we are going to see some awesome Stratovarius albums.

Either way thank you for saying that
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
Lurdi
Sr. Member
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: On the Mediterranean

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by Lurdi » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:07 pm

hiro23 wrote:
Lurdi wrote:But hiro23, don't worry, nobody's attacking you, on the contrary. The vast majority is agree with you!
I hope they say soon what they are going to do. Now we already know they are continuing together the name issue is yet to be said. Maybe they decide to be called 'the unnamed band' Do you imagine going to a show of the unnamed band? :lol:
Thanks man for the vote of support, and I didn't mean to sound as if I thought people were attacking me either.
I just simply wanted to state the situation as I saw it.

I mean I'll still be happy if they call themselves something else and I'll still buy both their albums and Tolkki's albums, However since they do own the rights to the name now I just say why not carry on.

Now it would be one thing if this was a plethora of crappy musicians trying to carry on the name but it's not, as we know the current line up is composed of some very excellent musicians.

Seriously I believe if the current line up goes on we are going to see some awesome Stratovarius albums.

Either way thank you for saying that
Well, I am a girl, but it's ok :lol:

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by hiro23 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:43 am

whoops my bad :lol:

either way I stick by the same point :lol:
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
Verdades Parias
Sr. Member
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:34 pm
Location: Entre Ríos, ARGENTINA!!!

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by Verdades Parias » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:50 am

STRATOVARIUS!!!!


absolutely!!!!

A new, fresh, and powerful vision of Stratovarius

User avatar
exe knight
Sr. Member
Posts: 2551
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:04 pm
Location: the whitefish river (siikajoki)

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by exe knight » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:17 am

Though I'll get everyone channeling their hate towards me,

rather not.

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by hiro23 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:27 pm

exe knight

I do respect your opinion and it's perfectly okay to have it, I for one won't bash you.

I just see better benefits of the name being carried on then I do them stopping it entirely.
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
JensJohansson
Administrator
Posts: 1490
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Keep the Stratovarius name Jens, Timo K and Jorg

Post by JensJohansson » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:20 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:But, isn't Jens at the helm now, more or less?
We're running things in a pretty disciplined but yet rather egalitarian way. Not so different from the TT days. The main difference is that now everyone is involved in the writing, whereas before we delegated the musical authority (and alas, responsibility) to TT.

The way we solve the unavoidable "musical difference" discussions now is that if someone makes a song, he becomes the "Führer" of that song in a way, with absolute musical decision power. So far it's working well. :)

Well.... regarding that name ... Jörg suggests the name "killing an Arab" after the Cure song..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BD1uGPkxQfA

I thank you all for your considered and heartfelt opinions, and I say let's defer the name discussion a little bit while we are working out the music ... some more thought and discussion also within the band clearly may be of some value :lol:

Locked