revolution renaissance website!

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Plisken
revolution renaissance website!

Post by Plisken » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:55 am

damn thats a pretty nice website. Simple, elegant, looks great and has a lot of content.

http://www.revolution-renaissance.com/

Stealth

Re: revolution renaissance website!

Post by Stealth » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:16 am

We Hold the Key by Monsanto does NOT sound good... He sings out of tune, especially when he says "keeEEyyy". Overall, the song has a lot less emotion than Strato's original version. It's hard to explain, but this version sounds lifeless, sterile.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:37 am

its a demo all done in a week. tk also has some great tune problems in his demos. i love the songs

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:02 am

Well then, maybe they shouldn't post demos done in a week, just like authors don't publish draft versions of their books.

Still, the overall sound of the song sounds "emotionless".

EDIT: Another thing, good singers shouldn't have THAT many tune problems, demo or not. Otherwise, how do they manage to sing live?
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:05 am

the mere act of singing requires a emotion. apathy is emotion if you hear apathy or something. they should post it because some people appreciate it being posted. they should post it because of what they want to do. they dont need to cater to anyone else. there will always be people that enjoy it and those that dont. the people that enjoy it can carry on and those that dont can move on.

tk sings with a shit load of tune problems live. i have a lot of recordings that prove that.

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:21 am

thats true dude tk does have a lot of tune problems live. But he is awesome when he gets it right!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:30 am

I don’t think everything needs to be perfect to have a good time or receive something positive from the music. I don't care what complaints others would have toward what I like. If I enjoy it, that is what is important to me. Out of all the top power metal bands, none of the singers give perfect performances every time and they all have songs with. Some of the most popular bands and some of my favorite bands are ones that have a lot of people that hate them and insult them. Stratovarius is one of those bands and RR will be another.

boswoth

Post by boswoth » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:18 am

Stealth wrote:Well then, maybe they shouldn't post demos done in a week, just like authors don't publish draft versions of their books.

They sound like Stratovarius "covers", put simply. The web site looks great and Gus is quite OK but psychologically the band video is creepy, Tolkki surrounded by yes men he hired from internet. Its also so typical Narcissist. Nobody in the room would dare to say "Timo, you're wrong" :)

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:41 am

Well, I like Gus voice but I wouldn't change him for TK. When TK fucks up, he does it with style 8)

I want to hear the final versions of the songs. Oh and:
RR website wrote:Revolution Renaissance cherishes the legacy of Stratovarius in its music as a natural continuation to Tolkki’s songwriting which contributed 95% of Stratovarius material in 23 years he played in the band. Paradise, Season of Change, Father Time, Black Diamond, Hunting High and Low, Kiss of Judas and Forever among other songs have left Tolkki’s trademark Stratovarius sound and songwriting in the history of melodic symphonic power metal. Revolution Renaissance will continue this legacy with a new energy, enthusiasm and attitude.
I find 95 a little bit high, so 4 guys just added up 5% in 23 years?? maybe 1% each and 1% of random shit :lol:
---...---

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:54 am

The website is cool.

Gus is a very good singer. He have a versatile and powerful voice, if you can't see that...

The Stratovarius songs fits a lot better with Timo Kotipelto, its normal. The future RR songs will fit better with Gus, that's normal too.

For me TK voice is the best cause I prefer his timbre. Ok, he is not as versatile as other singers but I prefer his voice.

I'm very biased with this. Even being biased, I just can say Gus is a very good singer, at least that seems. (We hold the key demos is a bit out of tune, but well...this are just demos and the same use to happen with every singer in this case.)

But you can't say that Gus is a bad singer cause is a great singer.

We'll see live.

We have now two great bands. Stratovarius and RR. So let's enjoy music.

Icarus and Loneliness of 1000 years are just amazing songs.

The other guys, well they sound very good and well prepared. They seem really good players. Mike is doing some great job there, I like the drums too, and the bass. Well they sound good, seriously. I think Mike is "Jens school".
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

empi

Post by empi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:32 am

RazielSR wrote:

We'll see live.

Sorry but what a retarted argumentation is this ?
You are right we will see it live. For my taste his voice is to rough for Stratosongs. Icarus is good.
Another thing is you can manipulate voices with the computer so its not easy to say if it was originally sung as you hear it. nothing is like it seems :D

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:45 am

empi wrote:
RazielSR wrote:

We'll see live.

Sorry but what a retarted argumentation is this ?
You are right we will see it live. For my taste his voice is to rough for Stratosongs. Icarus is good.
Another thing is you can manipulate voices with the computer so its not easy to say if it was originally sung as you hear it. nothing is like it seems :D

Well, then I tell you too: Sorry, but what a retarded argumentation is yours?

Of couse his voice is rougher, but if you feel good saying is a bad voice, then say it, that's a retarded opinion for me, not mine. Read it again.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

empi

Post by empi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:54 am

Please read my posts with eyes open and tell me where i said that Gus is a bad singer. I have never said it ! I only said i dont like his voice in old stratovarius songs what doesnt say that he is a bad singer. I think he is a good one. Sometimes it seems some people here in forum read only what they want to read and not the real words in the postings.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:57 am

Then tell me, why did you say that me saying: "you can't say is a bad singer" is a retarded opinion.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:03 am

Or well, maybe you meant that how can I say it's a good singer and then say we'll see live.

I say it because it seems a good singer in studio and we need confirmations seeing live performances, but anyway I don't see it as a bad singer.

empi

Post by empi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:12 am

Dont try to interpret my postings. Do only read them. Over and out
And for your brain:

your assumption is: Gus isnt a bad singer
your argument is: cause he is great.

Make this sense ?

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:16 am

:roll: (change "great" for some word that makes sense for you).

Well, back to topic...

I just hope they don't sing many Stratovarius songs. Twilight time and Dreamspace songs ok, but I don't wanna listen classical Stratovarius songs with Kotipelto on vocals, played by RR. Anyway it's up to me.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:19 am

The only problem that I have when I read through the bio of RR, is that again the description shows it as Tolkki's band. It says all the time things like TTs legacy in Strato, 95% songwriting, continuing his legacy, and so on. If it really goes that way, RR might face such problems like Stratovarius in the last years.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:21 am

Well, the bio is a bit... strange? ....

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:57 am

Holy shit, looks like this band is actually going somewhere after all.

Am I allowed to compliment Gus' voice in this forum without being called god knows what? Because I kinda like his voice. Reminds me of Jon Oliva and Pasi Rantanen. :)
The rest of the band (especially keyboards and including Tolkki) didn't really affect me one way or another, but since these are just demos, I'm not too upset about it. Yet.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:10 pm

Mormegil wrote:Holy shit, looks like this band is actually going somewhere after all.

Am I allowed to compliment Gus' voice in this forum without being called god knows what? Because I kinda like his voice. Reminds me of Jon Oliva and Pasi Rantanen. :)
The rest of the band (especially keyboards and including Tolkki) didn't really affect me one way or another, but since these are just demos, I'm not too upset about it. Yet.
I like his voice too, reminds me of Russell Allen.
Leaving apart all the problems, I'm gonna just enjoy the music. RR is gonna make good music, and Stratovarius too. Maybe at the end, we won something.

Now maybe in a few days we have something more about Stratovarius too!

Mörkö

Post by Mörkö » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:49 pm

stratohawk wrote:The only problem that I have when I read through the bio of RR, is that again the description shows it as Tolkki's band. It says all the time things like TTs legacy in Strato, 95% songwriting, continuing his legacy, and so on. If it really goes that way, RR might face such problems like Stratovarius in the last years.
You see the potential problem clearly. The songs are good, the musicians are good and yes Timo Tolkki clearly has all of the power in that band. He is good at music but really terrible at publicity, marketing and business.

A reputation for reckless behavior, fraud and irrationally backing out of deals makes it hard to find reliable people who trust you and want to do business with you, and to get funding.

Cancelled gigs, a lack of funds, ineffective marketing, and poor record distribution are the exact same problems whether the singer of the band has the name Kotipelto or Monsanto.

Oceanids

Post by Oceanids » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:33 pm

boswoth wrote:
Stealth wrote:Well then, maybe they shouldn't post demos done in a week, just like authors don't publish draft versions of their books.

They sound like Stratovarius "covers", put simply. The web site looks great and Gus is quite OK but psychologically the band video is creepy, Tolkki surrounded by yes men he hired from internet. Its also so typical Narcissist. Nobody in the room would dare to say "Timo, you're wrong" :)
How do you know that? Why is it that because the guys get along well that they are "yes" men? I know two of them quite well and they certainly are not.

Different situatution and dynamic of course than with Stratovarius. But these musicians were carefully chosen based on their talent and potential for the band, not cause they kissed Timo's ass. He could much more easily have found 4 or 5 random Finnish guys to do that for a lot less work. :lol:

boswoth

Post by boswoth » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:08 pm

Oceanids wrote:How do you know that? Why is it that because the guys get along well that they are "yes" men? I know two of them quite well and they certainly are not.

Different situatution and dynamic of course than with Stratovarius. But these musicians were carefully chosen based on their talent and potential for the band, not cause they kissed Timo's ass. He could much more easily have found 4 or 5 random Finnish guys to do that for a lot less work. :lol:
When was the last time you told Timo "you're wrong"? :)

Oceanids

Post by Oceanids » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:14 pm

boswoth wrote:
Oceanids wrote:How do you know that? Why is it that because the guys get along well that they are "yes" men? I know two of them quite well and they certainly are not.

When was the last time you told Timo "you're wrong"? :)
I don't really talk to any of my friends that way, now that I think about it. If I disagree with someone (yes I have certainly disagreed with Timo at times) I will tell them. There were things on Saana that we didn't see eye to eye on, but it was his project and I deferred to his judgement, because there were a lot of things I was still learning about, being primarily a stage musician... not because I assumed he is right 100% of the time, no matter what. :)

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:50 pm

The websites look great and I really liked the music, so much good energy in it :), Gus sounded very nice :).
We Hold The Key sounded great with him ;) though I´m a huge Stratovarius-fan.

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:08 pm

Gus doesn't match the older songs at all (he sounds terrible in Last Night on Earth), but he is incredible in the newer songs. So I have a lot of hope. :)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:25 pm

The content of the website is good, but why is the format so dark? ???
I mean, the band can create their website the way they want, but why not more colorful?

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:10 pm

Star_Ocean wrote:Gus doesn't match the older songs at all (he sounds terrible in Last Night on Earth), but he is incredible in the newer songs. So I have a lot of hope. :)
Completely agree.

Nobody can match Kotipelto. But Gus is really good in the new songs.

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:20 pm

I've already listened to the demos and new songs and I like them, I think Gus is a great singer and really versatile. I think he's going to sing very well live songs too. But personally there is something I don't like very much, these new songs look a lot like many songs from the New Era album: Born upon the cross, Eden is burning, the ballad is almost like Keep the flame alive...
I'm sorry but that's what I think. Where are the guitar solos? I see a lot of artificial sounds replacing guitar solos. There are hardly guitar solos and TT is very much capable of composing and playing wonderful guitar solos, those we were used to. What's happened? We had songs as Destiny, Visions, We hold the key and many others that were totally unforeseeable from the beginning till the end, that were constantly changing the melody, the rythm and they went back to the melody...you couldn't expect what was coming next. Now it's quite different.