STRATOVARIUS RETURNS IN 2009

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Beast_Pete
Re: STRATOVARIUS RETURNS IN 2009

Post by Beast_Pete » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:26 pm

About the back-vocals: Lauri will do it, he already sang the songs with Tolkki after he joined the band.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:48 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:I did not post much in the old one&probably not in the new.
With a hidden nick of course because otherwise you would have been banned at that very moment!:wink:
Now, why would that be? :? Is there a TT-asslicking selected out clique or something? ;) I could say LOTS about that. Hell of alot. After all, I'm not a grape, I'm a raisin. Such loving kind words from a man of peace.:x

TT never banned anyone unless they posted something he did not agree with. I stayed on safe topics. And, yes, I had a different nick. Thats not illegal. A person is free to choose what nick they like, whatever band they like, whatever songs they like, etc, on and on.Or, are people supposed to be forced to like what others want them to? ???

Stratowarius

Post by Stratowarius » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:55 pm

:lol: I like that BP! :lol: Flaming Jakuzzi! Please do :lol:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Flaming Jakuzzi will be the epic thread that will take over the forum.

Tt has no problem with posting stuff saying all sorts of bad stuff about him. I did plenty of that. It’s just in how it is phrased.

rakettitulppa

Post by rakettitulppa » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:09 pm

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:17 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Now, why would that be? :? Is there a TT-clique or something? ;)
TT never banned anyone unless they posted something he did not agree with. I stayed on safe topics.
I just was recalling the times you were thrown away from the HtL forum. :roll:
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:52 pm

IceBreaker wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:Now, why would that be? :? Is there a TT-clique or something? ;)
TT never banned anyone unless they posted something he did not agree with. I stayed on safe topics.
I just was recalling the times you were thrown away from the HtL forum. :roll:
Stop lying. :roll:
It was just 1 time. And, that forum died ages ago. That forum was dead when I was banned. :lol:
I don't know why you hate me so much, IB, I have never attacked you, ever. Is this stupid animosity you have for me over the TT issue? If so, man, I could say alot. :roll: I mean, Good God. :roll:

IceBreaker

Post by IceBreaker » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:34 pm

No BEG, you took it wrong, it´s not personal between us. I meant I have a feeling if TT get know you have been on his forums he would ban you there quickly.
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:34 pm

it really seems like a damned if you do and a damned if you don't scenerio.

I'm sure Jens and the rest of the band knew they would get some flack for keeping the name but in the end I'm sure they kept if FOR the fans.
Most of us were devastated when we heard the news of a possible break-up and I have seen many of you say that Stratovarius should live on, me included.

So we really can't complain now that we have two bands to carry on the legacy.

I am happy for both parties and I really hope they are both in a better place now then they were when all this bullshit was going on.
metal feeds the beast

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:04 am

IceBreaker wrote:No BEG, you took it wrong, it´s not personal between us. I meant I have a feeling if TT get know you have been on his forums he would ban you there quickly.
He did know. :) Administrators have the IP addresses of every member of their forums. He knew, and I knew he knew. ;)
And what I know trumped what he knew. :D

joakofortress

Post by joakofortress » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:13 am

Pleaseee Don't forget Argentinaaa next year:D

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:07 am

AWESOME NEWS! I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW HAPPY I AM TO SEE THAT THEY CONTINIUE AS STRATOVARIUS! THEY NEVER SHOULD'VE THOUGHT ABOUT CHANGING THE NAME! CAN'T WAIT FOR THE GIGS AND THE ALBUM!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:25 am

Since the remaining members have written a minority of the material and there is a whole new dynamic with the way the band will be run this will interesting to see what elements stay similar to past songs and where they branch off. I will say that I would love a remake of some songs from the first three albums. Are there any other bands with zero members from their first three cds?

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:29 am

I don't think that will happen because I think re-recording songs from Tolkki is the last thing they want to do now. It wouldn't make sense anyway. They have to prove that they can continue with out Tolkki and wirte and compose great music on their own. So I don't think it would be a good move to remake those old songs.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:44 am

It’s more of a wish then something I think they would do, as least in the near future. I just have always wanted to hear kotipelto sing some of those songs. In those bootleg concerts from 1995 he sings a lot of songs from the first albums where tolkki was the vocalist.

I’m not really sure what bands have to prove, they just need to get enough fans to enjoy their music and buy from them. With all the people that hate dragonforce, that has not stopped them from selling lots to those that enjoy them. I have full Confidence this stratovarius lineup will be able to create music that many will enjoy. To me having a fun time and enjoying band chemistry and chemistry with the fans is the proof of a band with the right priorities.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:24 am

icecab21 wrote:Since the remaining members have written a minority of the material and there is a whole new dynamic with the way the band will be run this will interesting to see what elements stay similar to past songs and where they branch off. I will say that I would love a remake of some songs from the first three albums. Are there any other bands with zero members from their first three cds?
Thin Lizzy has been touring with long time members but no founding members for quite some time
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:45 am

Well with thin lizzy stratovarius has cool company. Thin Lizzy is a crazy situation though.
Sykes has stated that the current Thin Lizzy is "more of a tribute thing"[18] and that it would be wrong to record new material under that name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_Lizzy#Personnel

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:35 am

True, but they still tour and release live albums.

I mean it's not the perfect example but it is one case of a band touring around with no original members.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:00 am

Of course, I started off the question as someone of interest so I should not turn it to some detective work. Stratovarius is definitely its own situation. The band members must have decided that they had a passion for playing the songs and are excited to share them as well as their continuation. This is part continuation and part tribute to the good times and the timeless songs they were a part of. Tolkki blessed them to use any name but Stradivarius and I hope he can keep his focus where it should be with his band. Young blood and energy in both bands and 2009 will be full of special music releases that I look forward to

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:04 am

your right, let's just listen and enjoy the music that is coming our way from both bands
metal feeds the beast

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:52 pm

cliff wrote:I don't share your enthousiasm.
I think it is wrong that the guys continue with the name Stratovarius. This is terribly wrong. I think this is a lack of respect to the fans because for us, Stratovarius was and will always be Kotipelto, Tolkki, Jens, Jörg... and Jari.
leave Stratovarius behind and start a new band.
I absolutely don't share your opinion. When two people of a 5-members band leave this band (Jari & Tolkki), I don't see any problem for the remaining members (Koti, Lauri, Jörg & Jens) to use the same name, especially when one of the past members who left the band (Tolkki) let them the legal use of the name... :roll:

Stratovarius is living and is arising from the ashes of the crisis, ready to fill our ears with a great music! Viva Stratovarius!!! :)
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:59 pm

Completely agree MetalAngel.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:59 pm

icecab21 wrote: I’m not really sure what bands have to prove, they just need to get enough fans to enjoy their music and buy from them. With all the people that hate dragonforce, that has not stopped them from selling lots to those that enjoy them. I have full Confidence this stratovarius lineup will be able to create music that many will enjoy. To me having a fun time and enjoying band chemistry and chemistry with the fans is the proof of a band with the right priorities.
They kind of have to prove that they can make a Stratovarius Album without Tolkki.

Stratowarius

Post by Stratowarius » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:36 pm

:lol: A new "United we stand"maybe :?: :?:

IceBreaker

Post by IceBreaker » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:14 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
icecab21 wrote:They kind of have to prove that they can make a Stratovarius Album without Tolkki.
I have been thinking that too. Maybe one of the reasons they want to continue, specially with the old name...

Aldaron

Post by Aldaron » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:50 pm

Stratowarius wrote::lol: A new "United we stand"maybe :?: :?:
Please no. :shake:
That's one thing I won't miss about TT's writing; the ponderous ballads. :tired: I just never liked those songs and it isn't because I'm not "spiritual". They just plod along to me and seem a bit too pretentious. I think you can still convey messages of spirituality with livlier, melodic tunes.
Let's Rage!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:18 pm

IceBreaker wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
icecab21 wrote:They kind of have to prove that they can make a Stratovarius Album without Tolkki.
I have been thinking that too. Maybe one of the reasons they want to continue, specially with the old name...
Yes. They want to prove that Stratovarius wasn't just Tolkki.

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:56 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
icecab21 wrote: I have full Confidence this stratovarius lineup will be able to create music that many will enjoy. To me having a fun time and enjoying band chemistry and chemistry with the fans is the proof of a band with the right priorities.
They kind of have to prove that they can make a Stratovarius Album without Tolkki.
I think everyone's reasons are different, and it's as you all perhaps realize a pretty long and tangled story.. maybe better suited to be expanded upon in the interview rounds later around the release, if at all.

Anyway... to me one of the main factors really was what the stuff would sound like. Because TT was such a fundamental part of the band, there really was no knowing what it would sound like.

But it's quite funny actually how much like the Stratovarius of yesteryear it already "sounds", I mean just the instrumentation with everyone's quirks as musicians in place. I don't make many illusions about my irreplaceability, to me it's primarily TK and Jörg, who I think both have pretty idiosyncratic and recognizable habits when singing and playing. You can hear it's them after like 10 seconds, which I think is great.

But have we written Timo Tolkki songs? Of course not. It will be a bit different on that level. Whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know. he is a genius songwriter so they are big shoes to fill! It will just be what it is. I'm pretty happy anyway with the music, only problem is that there is a LOT of work remaining before it becomes possible to release it :)

Cheers,

/j
Jens.

================================
"Koskenkorva is very good."
-Ronald Reagan
================================

JavyMetal1092

Post by JavyMetal1092 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:36 pm

cliff wrote:
JavyMetal1092 wrote:
cliff wrote:I don't share your enthousiasm.
I think it is wrong that the guys continue with the name Stratovarius. This is terribly wrong. I think this is a lack of respect to the fans because for us, Stratovarius was and will always be Kotipelto, Tolkki, Jens, Jörg... and Jari.
leave Stratovarius behind and start a new band.
Please do not begin to lose this great moment, leaves the past behind, if they want to have this wonderful name is their decision, I now go away to celebrating, and please be happy and continue forward, do not remain stuck :D
I'm not being stuck. I accept at 100% that there is this new band and I'm totally happy about it. I am actually looking forward to listening to the new material made by the guys. Still, no matter if 4 guys out of 5 remain in this band, it will never be Stratovarius. Just like Revolution Renaissance is not Stratovarius either.

Besides, you said "leave Stratovarius behind". This is actually exactly what I am doing. To me, Stratovarius is way behind. Even if this new band may sound at 99% like Stratovarius, even if the new album might be 10 times better than Visions, there will never be any Stratovarius band ever again. This is a new band.

Like I said, it is a lack of respect to the hardcore fans, and to Tolkki, to keep the name. But well, this is just my opinion, obviously most of you here are excited about the news. I'm not. Period.
that sound better, you are a great fan and honest :D
Stratofan forever, Long Life to the Metal! \m/

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:52 pm

JensJohansson wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
icecab21 wrote: I have full Confidence this stratovarius lineup will be able to create music that many will enjoy. To me having a fun time and enjoying band chemistry and chemistry with the fans is the proof of a band with the right priorities.
I think everyone's reasons are different, and it's as you all perhaps realize a pretty long and tangled story.. maybe better suited to be expanded upon in the interview rounds later around the release, if at all.

Anyway... to me one of the main factors really was what the stuff would sound like. Because TT was such a fundamental part of the band, there really was no knowing what it would sound like.

But it's quite funny actually how much like the Stratovarius of yesteryear it already "sounds", I mean just the instrumentation with everyone's quirks as musicians in place. I don't make many illusions about my irreplaceability, to me it's primarily TK and Jörg, who I think both have pretty idiosyncratic and recognizable habits when singing and playing. You can hear it's them after like 10 seconds, which I think is great.

But have we written Timo Tolkki songs? Of course not. It will be a bit different on that level. Whether that's a good or bad thing I don't know. he is a genius songwriter so they are big shoes to fill! It will just be what it is. I'm pretty happy anyway with the music, only problem is that there is a LOT of work remaining before it becomes possible to release it :)

Cheers,

/j
I don't agree with your replacability. Show me someone that can do solos like Learning to Fly, I'm Still Alive, or The Cage's intro solo note for note and then I'll believe you. You're right though, it's a bit harder to follow your playing style's idiosyncrasies and habits :lol: BTW, I noticed your style right away when I heard your short solo on Marty's Loudspeaker. Checked the booklet right away and it was you :)