US Shows Possible?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Star_Ocean
US Shows Possible?

Post by Star_Ocean » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:34 am

So, the US has been pretty shafted by many of the past Stratovarius tours. I know they aren't super popular in the US, but there is still a very loyal fanbase! If I recall correctly, the one US tour Stratovarius did (I didn't attend, sadly) was sold out pretty much everywhere.

But my question is, if the next Strato album results in a huge success and a world tour, would you guys consider coming to the US? Or considering the weird circumstances involving the legal issues, Tolkki, etc., are you just thinking about playing it safe and sticking close to home and the countries that you are really popular in until the band picks up steam again?

I was devastated initially hearing the "break up" announced by Tolkki. I had never gotten to see my favorite band live. Then, when I heard Jens and the gang would be going on without him, my hopes skyrocketed! I hope the US sees Strato once again! If not with this album, hopefully with the next!

NeverendingAbyss

Re: US Shows Possible?

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:42 am

Yes! Come to VA to have some FUN! :D
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:55 am

After the whole "stunt", you wouldn't believe my elation when I saw that Strato was "rejoining" to do their first tour of N. America! It might be a little too early to ask them to come to the States, but they can definitely count on me to come out and support 200% percent!

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:33 am

The US presents some pretty heavy thresholds logistically for European bands on this level of ticket sales.

There are the flight costs for long transatlantic flights. These apply to American bands coming to Europe as well of course. One way to try to mitigate this is by combining the US with South America.

There are visa costs. It used to be only expensive, now since 9/11 it's expensive, time-consuming and complicated. Yet dealing with this cannot be skipped. Someone getting caught trying to sneak into the US is inadmissible to the country for 10 years. You can't fuck around with people about stuff like that and say, "hey, come on, let's go play the US without work visas".

The fees are small, and the venues are far from each other, at least in the West. This means high travel costs and low income. There has to be at least zero profit for anything to get off the ground. Negative profit doesn't work (except if you're on Wall Street perhaps). You can't go to Lufthansa and say "I want twelve transatlantic air tickets, here's minus 5,000 euro"

Lastly .. the US has a substantial cotton importation trade barrier. So bringing T-shirts to sell is complicated and less profitable than in Europe, where most european bands print their shirts of course.

I'm just mentioning this so you can get a sense of how the decisions where to play are made.. and a bit of the tedious practical matters of bringing live music to people hearts ..
Jens.

================================
"Koskenkorva is very good."
-Ronald Reagan
================================

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:04 am

Ok, the plan is to apply the band for a federal bail out or find some wealthy supporter of the band for patronage purposes. In the mean time we can use local methods to help support the band and help build up a fan base. Time to work on creating the greatful stratovarius heads.

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:21 pm

Hmmm... that may be up there in the US, but for us we pretty much don't give a shit who enters here so feel free to bring your family, friends and obscene amounts of alcohol when you tour around El Salvador :D
---...---

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:47 pm

Well, sad to say it, but I know better than to beg them to tour in my neck of the woods. The closest venue would possibly be Nashville, Tennessee, or Birmingham. The most we can hope for around here is Lynrd Skyrnd or Thunderpussy. :lol: Oh, I think Steppenwolf and Alice Cooper came around once, back in--er-err-about 1974? ??? :D

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:01 pm

JensJohansson wrote:The US presents some pretty heavy thresholds logistically for European bands on this level of ticket sales.

There are the flight costs for long transatlantic flights. These apply to American bands coming to Europe as well of course. One way to try to mitigate this is by combining the US with South America.

There are visa costs. It used to be only expensive, now since 9/11 it's expensive, time-consuming and complicated. Yet dealing with this cannot be skipped. Someone getting caught trying to sneak into the US is inadmissible to the country for 10 years. You can't fuck around with people about stuff like that and say, "hey, come on, let's go play the US without work visas".

The fees are small, and the venues are far from each other, at least in the West. This means high travel costs and low income. There has to be at least zero profit for anything to get off the ground. Negative profit doesn't work (except if you're on Wall Street perhaps). You can't go to Lufthansa and say "I want twelve transatlantic air tickets, here's minus 5,000 euro"

Lastly .. the US has a substantial cotton importation trade barrier. So bringing T-shirts to sell is complicated and less profitable than in Europe, where most european bands print their shirts of course.

I'm just mentioning this so you can get a sense of how the decisions where to play are made.. and a bit of the tedious practical matters of bringing live music to people hearts ..
So I take that as a no for now, at least until the band gets back up on its feet? :lol:

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:01 am

JensJohansson wrote:The US presents some pretty heavy thresholds logistically for European bands on this level of ticket sales.

If you guys had a good agent, you could work out a deal importing T-Shirts, or visa costs. Possibly, you could get the governments to give you a deal on the grounds that your popularity and impact on music could allow you to aid ailing venues with increased sales.
Talk to Sonata Arctica, In Flames, Children of Bodom, or Nightwish, all four of them have had successful North American Tours with stops in the Detroit Michigan area. Bodom and In Flames first toured with Megadeth on the Gigantour tour, then again seperately for their individual albums, Nightwish and Sonata Artica toured together.

Dream Theater has an album being released next year, and although you guys have already stressed you're not moving towards a Dream Theater sound, I'd imagine you have a somewhat similar fanbase. I also understand that you were a candidate for the replacement to the band's original keyboardist Kevin Moore, before you joined Stratovarius.

Is it then possible that you could not (For a leg of the tour at least) Tour with Dream Theater for publicity, and with your newer (non Tolkki) sound, even if the profits for the tour were not huge, the Tolkki sound was never quite as popular in North America as other power metal bands like Sonata Artica, Nightwish, and (admit it, they completely ripped off your style Jens), Children of Bodom. However, Dream Theater is immensely popular in metal circles in America, you might be able to reestablish yourself by attracting the MASSIVE shows that Dream Theater does, you could possibly draw some sales for "King of Nothing", or whatever you decide to name your next album. Plus, I know a few Strato nuts in the state that would LOVE to see you guys play. (I have to thank their pressure to what got me into my first metal band, Stratovarius).

There are several T-shirt providers, such as American Apparel (They use domestic labor, instead of sweat shop labor), their T-Shirts could be made in the Americas, and you could have them delivered to your first venue, or each venue thereafter.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:02 am

browneyedgirl wrote:Well, sad to say it, but I know better than to beg them to tour in my neck of the woods. The closest venue would possibly be Nashville, Tennessee, or Birmingham. The most we can hope for around here is Lynrd Skyrnd or Thunderpussy. :lol: Oh, I think Steppenwolf and Alice Cooper came around once, back in--er-err-about 1974? ??? :D
'74??? That was the last tour with the original Alice Cooper band, Muscle of Love, was it not?

Stratosfear

Post by Stratosfear » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:03 pm

Marcel Schirmer (Destruction) wrote:In other countries people travel days to see shows. It s a sad thing that in Europe you can t play at the beginning of the week anymore. Maybe this is our last Euro club tour, don t miss your chance ... we are not gettin any younger!

Most people don't know that touring means loosing money for most artist today. With the petrol going up and up again, tour - busses are getting priceless. Fees are droping cause of to much traffic in the clubs. Too many festivals are killing the normal touring situation. Worlds economy situation won't help. We'll have a lot of shows till the end of 2009. After the 25th anniversary tour we'll see if we will be able to go on. Hopefully our fans will support us well on this important tour... this band is my life, I wanna do this till the end of my days. So see you out there!!!

Stratosfear

Post by Stratosfear » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:32 pm

Rebel wrote:Talk to Sonata Arctica, In Flames, Children of Bodom, or Nightwish, all four of them have had successful North American Tours with stops in the Detroit Michigan area. Bodom and In Flames first toured with Megadeth on the Gigantour tour, then again seperately for their individual albums, Nightwish and Sonata Artica toured together.
I wouldn't be so sure about Sonata Arctica in USA. Megadeth hasn't been huge band in USA since mid 90s.

Artist/Event: STRATOVARIUS, INTO ETERNITY
Venue: Richard's on Richards
City/State: Vancouver, British Columbia
Date: Oct. 5, 2005
Gross Sales: $3,571
Attendance: 158
Capacity: 500

Venue: House of Blues
City/State: Cleveland, Ohio
Date: Sept. 27, 2005
Attendance: 233
Capacity: 600

Artist/Event: STRATOVARIUS
City/State: Chicago, Ill.
Date: Sept. 28, 2005
Attendance: 351
Capacity: 1,300

Venue: Ascot Room at The Quest
City/State: Minneapolis, Minn.
Date: Sept. 29, 2005
Attendance: 161
Capacity: 400
Rebel wrote:Is it then possible that you could not (For a leg of the tour at least) Tour with Dream Theater for publicity, and with your newer (non Tolkki) sound, even if the profits for the tour were not huge, the Tolkki sound was never quite as popular in North America as other power metal bands like Sonata Artica, Nightwish, and (admit it, they completely ripped off your style Jens), Children of Bodom. However, Dream Theater is immensely popular in metal circles in America, you might be able to reestablish yourself by attracting the MASSIVE shows that Dream Theater does, you could possibly draw some sales for "King of Nothing", or whatever you decide to name your next album. Plus, I know a few Strato nuts in the state that would LOVE to see you guys play. (I have to thank their pressure to what got me into my first metal band, Stratovarius).
Dream Theater isn't huge band in USA. Average attendance figure was maybe 2000-3000 in 2006. I haven't seen latest numbers.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:28 am

Stratosfear wrote:
Rebel wrote:Talk to Sonata Arctica, In Flames, Children of Bodom, or Nightwish, all four of them have had successful North American Tours with stops in the Detroit Michigan area. Bodom and In Flames first toured with Megadeth on the Gigantour tour, then again seperately for their individual albums, Nightwish and Sonata Artica toured together.
I wouldn't be so sure about Sonata Arctica in USA. Megadeth hasn't been huge band in USA since mid 90s.

Venue: Richard's on Richards
City/State: Vancouver, British Columbia
Date: Oct. 5, 2005
Gross Sales: $3,571
Attendance: 158
Capacity: 500

City/State: Cleveland, Ohio
Date: Sept. 27, 2005
Attendance: 233
Capacity: 600

Artist/Event: STRATOVARIUS
City/State: Chicago, Ill.
Date: Sept. 28, 2005
Attendance: 351
Capacity: 1,300

Venue: Ascot Room at The Quest
City/State: Minneapolis, Minn.
Date: Sept. 29, 2005
Attendance: 161
Capacity: 400
Rebel wrote:Is it then possible that you could not (For a leg of the tour at least) Tour with Dream Theater for publicity, and with your newer (non Tolkki) sound, even if the profits for the tour were not huge, the Tolkki sound was never quite as popular in North America as other power metal bands like Sonata Artica, Nightwish, and (admit it, they completely ripped off your style Jens), Children of Bodom. However, Dream Theater is immensely popular in metal circles in America, you might be able to reestablish yourself by attracting the MASSIVE shows that Dream Theater does, you could possibly draw some sales for "King of Nothing", or whatever you decide to name your next album. Plus, I know a few Strato nuts in the state that would LOVE to see you guys play. (I have to thank their pressure to what got me into my first metal band, Stratovarius).
Dream Theater isn't huge band in USA. Average attendance figure was maybe 2000-3000 in 2006. I haven't seen latest numbers.
2000-3000 is quite a bit more than Strato got last time through the US

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:49 am

Do you think it's possible to tour the U.S. if some of these things were worked out?

I would love to see you guys play in Vegas.

Maybe a lot of us can start a petition so that a lot the reps here can get you all some work visa's.
metal feeds the beast

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:27 am

hiro23 wrote:Do you think it's possible to tour the U.S. if some of these things were worked out?

Maybe a lot of us can start a petition so that a lot the reps here can get you all some work visa's.
Vegas? Hmmmmmmm. Have Madonna,Brittany,and Barry Manilow open for them---that would definitely work! ;)

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:39 am

if we could just somehow attach them to like a hannah montana jonas brothers movie concert that can make houndreds of millions like the last one they did.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:51 am

Vegas is a VERY big place!!!!! I mean, OMG! It would be great to play there, I'm sure!!!! :)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:42 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
hiro23 wrote:Do you think it's possible to tour the U.S. if some of these things were worked out?

Vegas? Hmmmmmmm. Have Madonna,Brittany,and Barry Manilow open for them---that would definitely work! ;)
These are bands that shouldn't be in the same state let alone the same stadium :lol:
metal feeds the beast

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:39 am

hiro23 wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:

These are bands that shouldn't be in the same state let alone the same stadium :lol:
Well, an opening act with Barry(the POP God)would definitely lure me in! =P
Image Image
I think he is the one in the middle......Barry,shame on you! :oops: :D

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:36 am

I'm not knocking manilow just to be clear, he's great at what he does and I'm glad he's had success because of it.

But as far as genre's go wouldn't he be the thing that most metal bands are not trying to sound like? :lol:
metal feeds the beast

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:06 am

hiro23 wrote:I'm not knocking manilow just to be clear, he's great at what he does and I'm glad he's had success because of it.

But as far as genre's go wouldn't he be the thing that most metal bands are not trying to sound like? :lol:
:lol: I know! I'm just joking. :D He's a Vegas attraction&thats why I made the joke. ;)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:01 pm

I should have known :lol:

I suspected you were messing with me but sometimes you just can't tell when you type it.
metal feeds the beast