Question about the song run away

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
hiro23
Question about the song run away

Post by hiro23 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:41 pm

I was just wondering why Run away was put as a b-side, that song is so good I really think it should have been put on the first elements album.
metal feeds the beast

emperor_black

Re: Question about the song run away

Post by emperor_black » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:28 pm

The song was written by Jens, I think

my hypothesis:

Timo Tolkki didn't like the song that much. The verses of the song are a little repetitive and the song doesn't have a pre-chorus (most Tolkki songs have pre choruses).

I personally don't think that the song matches the overall sound of the album, but I like its catchy chorus :P

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:42 pm

I thought the song would have matched up perfectly after learning to fly. :)
metal feeds the beast

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:10 am

bonuses are usually good!
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:37 am

I never liked the idea of "bonuses" in music. I mean, what is this, pinball?
I say, just put all the songs you have on the album and be done with it :D

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:09 pm

Ride like the wind also... great music.
---...---

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:27 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:I never liked the idea of "bonuses" in music. I mean, what is this, pinball?
Yeah, I think the major problem is that those bonus tracks are only available on specific versions of the album.

This idea probably is an attempt to turn albums into collectibles. Some of us, though, don't care much about the albums themselves, but only the music. I don't want to buy 4 different versions of the same album to get the tracks I want... :(

In short, we need Intermission Part 2. :D

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:34 pm

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:I never liked the idea of "bonuses" in music. I mean, what is this, pinball?
My thoughts exactly. I don't like the idea of bands considering some of their songs lesser, b-class bonus track -material before they are even released. :roll:
fernandotcl wrote:In short, we need Intermission Part 2. :D
Absolutely, with a proper quality version of Solitude and maybe some covers. I'd be interested to hear some classical piece played by Jens. :)

RuruPillow

Post by RuruPillow » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:48 pm

AGAG wrote:Ride like the wind also... great music.
I love this song too!! :beer: :beer: :beer:

RuruPillow

Post by RuruPillow » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

fernandotcl wrote:
AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
In short, we need Intermission Part 2. :D

:beer: :beer: :beer:
It's so greeeeeeeeat idea!! :beer::beer::beer:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:06 pm

I agree.

Though what my whole point is run away shouldn't even be a b-side.
Sometimes I can see the point of a b-side, Iron maiden typically does spoof songs as b-sides, but in the case of run away that is a song that's so good it should have been on the elements album.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:30 pm

the lyrics could be part of the reason.

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:22 pm

Well, the same happens with many other songs. Incredible songs such as Cold winter nights, What can I say?When the night meets the day...How could they be bonus tracks? I don't know why but, for whatever reason they were discarded.
To be frank this fucks me up quite a lot. If they are finally going to be included, why don't they include them all in every single edition, European, Japanese...etc? Japanese people always get more songs than us!!! :x

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:52 am

icecab21 wrote:the lyrics could be part of the reason.

Run the other way
wipe your tears away
the pain is here to stay
nothing in the way
take the clouds away
there's nothing more to say
there's nothing more to say
Run away
i will remember you
run away
i will remember 'til i die
Never wanna die
drowning in the sky
like rats who left the trap
was it just a game
only doubts remain
we're drowning in the pain.

hmmm... I don't see anything wrong with them.. pesimistic perhaps?, well, I like them, they quite tell the truth in some given moments...
---...---

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:22 am

I mean in relation to what tt was doing with elements. It is rather different from other lyrical themes in elements. I like the song and lyrics too. I’m not sure why bands must leave so much empty space on the cd, it might be a label thing. With run away being on the eagle heart single along with the eagle heart demo, it does sound like a promotional reason was at least part of the decision from at least the record company.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:28 am

that could be it however they could have just did what manowar did with gods of war, add it in as the last track and just list it as a bonus track.
metal feeds the beast

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:53 pm

I honestly think the sole reason why it wasn't put on the album was because it didn't fit musically...at all. If they had put it in, it just wouldn't fit.

That, or Tolkki figured it was really repetitive, or he just flat out didn't like it. I really don't like the song either, and can see why it wasn't on the album.

Miss Destiny

Post by Miss Destiny » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:01 pm

:D I think you are wrong. I like it very much and I think it is the best song on the record. I would like to ask yoy again Star Ocean. Are you the same guy under that nick on RR?

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:23 pm

I don't think fans subjective choice of songs being good or not or the best or the worst come in mind when bands choose what to play. To me bands should do what they want and if they have fans they have fans. With everyone having different favorites and seeking music for different reasons, there will always be people pleased and people displeased with decisions.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:41 pm

I agree that bands should do what they like and that sometimes fans tend to disagree as to what is a good song and what is a bad one.

However in this case I really have seen more people who like this song then hate it, and one thing many bands take into consideration when playing a set list is "what songs do we get the best reaction from?"

plus one thing I would like to add is that some of the best songs in history have had repeating choruses
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:37 pm

Out of 2 songs the song is the second most popular on the single. I really don't know about set lists because every concert that I have been to has always had songs that would not be played if it was up to the popularity of a bands discography or even the album they are touring for.

While I really like a song like run away, I can't say I think it's the cds biggest musical accomplishment that would be studied the most in a music college or the song that has the most stories of touching people’s hearts.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:24 am

icecab21 wrote:Out of 2 songs the song is the second most popular on the single. I really don't know about set lists because every concert that I have been to has always had songs that would not be played if it was up to the popularity of a bands discography or even the album they are touring for.

While I really like a song like run away, I can't say I think it's the cds biggest musical accomplishment that would be studied the most in a music college or the song that has the most stories of touching people’s hearts.
Actually, Ride Like the Wind is the one that REALLY kicks ass.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:39 am

Great songs, but my favourite Jens stratosong is Glory of the World. Totally badass!
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:21 am

I think I was misunderstood.

I'm not saying I thought it was the best song ever to come from the elements sessions. I was merely saying that I think it was good enough to be on the album.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:47 am

I don't think the idea of a b side means that the band did not think the song was quality enough for a record. There are many reasons songs get to b sides. I do think bsides should be quality songs that one can't find on the album. otherwise, there is not the same incentive for people to go out and buy the single.

RuruPillow

Post by RuruPillow » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:34 pm

Lurdi wrote:Well, the same happens with many other songs. Incredible songs such as Cold winter nights, What can I say?When the night meets the day...How could they be bonus tracks? I don't know why but, for whatever reason they were discarded.
To be frank this fucks me up quite a lot. If they are finally going to be included, why don't they include them all in every single edition, European, Japanese...etc? Japanese people always get more songs than us!!! :x
Lurdi, Please without getting angry... :cry:
I presently have lived in Japan, but CD of the Japanese edition is very expensive.
1 CD from 2400JPY - 3000JPY!! (20Euro - 25Euro!!)
I read Website, “Why only the Japanese edition the bonus track or DVD being attached?” Yngwie is asked to the fan.
Yngwie answered. “The Japanese edition CD selling price is high very. Therefore bonus track or DVD it belongs. Unless it belongs, it cant trade mainly. Please understanding.”

I think, it is delightful for tune to be recorded more, but it is regrettable for the price of CD to be high.
I have been troubled very from time of the child time,Japanese edition CD being very expensive is troubled.

PS
Yngwie's new albam Japanese edition as for one tune it is not recorded!! :lol: :lol:
Why? Although it was SHM-CD where the sound quality is good :roll:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:13 pm

I would definatly be up for a intermission part 2
metal feeds the beast

mitelika

Post by mitelika » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:35 am

Is there enough material for a intermission part 2?

I mean it seems there won't be a LOT of gems not included in a major album any more due to the now-changed method of WHOSE songs should be in.

VictorTDD

Post by VictorTDD » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Bonus track is usually a nightmare! Some die-hard fans have to buy different editions to complete their collections. It's not easy. Not only much money and time to be spent, but difficulties searching for and buying them.

But, on the other hand, bonus tracks are also the symbol of valuable editions. They are often limited/special editions or import versions. Like Strato's 3 long boxes released by NB which include exclusive demos, Infinite French 2CD version which include exclusive Phoenix demo, many Japanese import versions include exclusive B-sides, and etc.

The editions attached with bonus tracks may partially contain ideas from the record companies. However, this in some conditions does good things to the fans. Strato's long boxes give us the opportunity to listen to the demos (in which many fans are interested). Japanese imports contain bonus (not ony bonus tracks) or feature deluxe packaging to fit the high price. Also, some other imports containing bonus tracks just want to thank the fans in other countries.

Anyway, I personally like to collect different editions of Strato records. :lol: It's interesting.

RuruPillow

Post by RuruPillow » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:30 pm

hiro23 wrote:I would definatly be up for a intermission part 2
I would like to hear the French box set edition bonus track! I slowly want "Intermission 2" :lol: :lol:
VictorTDD wrote: Japanese imports contain bonus (not ony bonus tracks) or feature deluxe packaging to fit the high price. Also, some other imports containing bonus tracks just want to thank the fans in other countries.

Anyway, I personally like to collect different editions of Strato records. :lol: It's interesting.
真的嗎? 你是Stratovarius球迷的真理!! :headbang:
Really? you are Stratovarius fan of the truth!!

Because, Japanese edition CD is the same price as luxury lunch in Shanghai!!
I guess will enjoy Shanghai luxury lunch... Hahaha :roll: :lol: