Listening to Polaris now

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by RazielSR » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:41 pm

It doesn't matter for me if the album is leaked to the inet or not. If I have the chance to listen this promo, I will listen.

That is not gonna change my preorder of 2 normal edition, 1 digipack edition and 1 vinyl edition, I'm waiting for some Japanese edition too. Make 20 editions, and I'll but it, so I don't give a fuck. I wanna see polaris cds around me till the next Stratovarius album ( I hope next year ). I hope to have another new mercnahdise too, shirts and all that stuff.
Anyway, I know which song is gonna be my fav song since november.

PS: The same happened to me with RR album which is not my fav style but of course I bought.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

User avatar
nefertari
Sr. Member
Posts: 1579
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:12 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by nefertari » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:12 pm

I preordered already the digipack version of Polaris, but I will buy the vinyl version too :).

fernandotcl
Sr. Member
Posts: 738
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:17 pm
Location: Stuttgart

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by fernandotcl » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:34 pm

JensJohansson wrote:I am hoping nobody will feel ripped off by buying physical products. I do realize CDs are quite expensive and times are tough.

I still maintain musicians should be paid for what they do. For me getting paid is just a means to an end -- the money is a really useful tool, in that it can be converted into more music :lol:
I've spared some money specifically for CDs. My major problem isn't even money right now, I have the money to buy at least a part of the albums I've downloaded throughout the years, but I really don't have room for stuff!

I'm serious, CDs are bulky. I love the cover art, but quite frankly I just rip CDs and store them somewhere. And at the same time, buying CDs, ripping them and throwing them away sounds stupid.

I'd like to build a complete Stratovarius collection, but for many other bands, it would be good enough to buy and download the albums (but not in DRM-riddled or lossy formats) and cover art (also in a decent format and size). Buying CDs is essentially collecting to me nowadays. I listen to music in my computer, where I can play all my songs in random order, for example.

I'll buy Polaris as soon as I can. But for many other bands, I'll keep downloading their albums until I move out to a place where I can have a room to store all my music related stuff or something, and then I'll probably be able to collect their albums as well.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

User avatar
robocop656
Sr. Member
Posts: 2312
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: pæniš
Contact:

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by robocop656 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:18 pm

I will only buy it if they release it in 8 track format.

Llageran
Sr. Member
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Llageran » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:57 pm

@Jens
Do you think I dare asking Anders if he has the whole album?
I'm currently on tour with Hammerfall. If it's ok.
I'm quite curious about it.

User avatar
Polaris
Sr. Member
Posts: 1573
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: In the Door of your Heart

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Polaris » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:01 am

LauriPorra wrote:Glad you like the stuff, Emancipation suite is written by me. I also wrote the music and lyrics to songs Falling star, Forever is today and When mountains fall.
Really!? You wrote all those songs alone?
So what can I expected from you as composer?
Now I'm worry! :o :lol:

User avatar
NeonVomit
Sr. Member
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:36 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:12 am

Well I'm buying it, no matter what. So what if I have to wait a week or month longer. As soon as it hits the store I'm getting it!

(unless of course it's on sale at the 18/05 gig in London :D )
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com


I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

LauriPorra
Moderator
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:35 am
Contact:

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by LauriPorra » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:06 am

Polaris wrote:
LauriPorra wrote:Glad you like the stuff, Emancipation suite is written by me. I also wrote the music and lyrics to songs Falling star, Forever is today and When mountains fall.
Really!? You wrote all those songs alone?
So what can I expected from you as composer?
Now I'm worry! :o :lol:


I sure did, lyrics and all. If you want to listen to my earlier stuff why not get one or both of my soloalbums. If you want to hear some metalstuff i have done, check out some of the tracks i wrote for warmen.

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27236
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:35 am

The US always gets the CDs later than Europe(through the catalogs), so Polaris should be available about my birthday from Metal Disc! Perfect timing! :) I am looking forward to hearing this album!

hiro23
Sr. Member
Posts: 3206
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 am
Location: saint george, utah

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by hiro23 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:02 am

Lauri:Did you ever get to write any tracks for sinergy or help with the Kotipelto songs?
metal feeds the beast

User avatar
Crazyniel
Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: São Paulo - Brazil

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Crazyniel » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:12 am

How can I preorder the Polaris CD?
I'm from Brazil, but if I can pay by credit card...^^

User avatar
Texidor
Sr. Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:41 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Texidor » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:09 am

:?: On the subject of downloading the album......I have to admit I am quite divided on that subject. On one hand I have been waiting for a true return of my favorite band in the whole world STRATOVARIUS. I mean honestly the S/T album was not my favorite even though it had a couple of good songs. And well what was to be the infamous RR album well was good and passable but nothing that got my blood totally pumping and tugged at my soul. So to be quite honest I would be more incline to download this album. Its something I have been waiting for for a long time. Of course I would buy more than one copy of the album. And do also have plans to buy tickets to the upcoming tour. I just have to have it NOW!
On the other hand I think that waiting would help support the band more. I believe that they would sell more records and have bigger profile if less people would download and actually went and bought the album. And I am sure the guys would appreciate our patient. OH BOY! :oops: What a dilemma.

Anyone feel the same way ?

HIGHER WE GO!
SHINE ON!

dirtclaw
Jr. Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by dirtclaw » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:21 am

I've got the album bought and paid for already (digi-pak)... just waiting for the dreaded release date to come so i can put it in my CD player and never take it out...


And speaking on the Deep Unknown video, just so long as the wait isn't anything like the wait for Kamelot's 'Love You To Death' video... (which... still hasn't been released?), its not a concern to me when the video will be released in all of its invisible drumkit glory :lol:


It's cool that promo copies are out already, I guess... hopefully the album goes as long as possible without leaking out. Waiting only makes it better when you finally get to hear it

Star_Ocean
Sr. Member
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Star_Ocean » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:55 pm

I absolutely love that demo. It sounds like it should be on Kotipelto's Waiting for the Dawn album. :lol:

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:59 pm

Texidor wrote::?: On the subject of downloading the album......I have to admit I am quite divided on that subject. On one hand I have been waiting for a true return of my favorite band in the whole world STRATOVARIUS. I mean honestly the S/T album was not my favorite even though it had a couple of good songs. And well what was to be the infamous RR album well was good and passable but nothing that got my blood totally pumping and tugged at my soul. So to be quite honest I would be more incline to download this album. Its something I have been waiting for for a long time. Of course I would buy more than one copy of the album. And do also have plans to buy tickets to the upcoming tour. I just have to have it NOW!
On the other hand I think that waiting would help support the band more. I believe that they would sell more records and have bigger profile if less people would download and actually went and bought the album. And I am sure the guys would appreciate our patient. OH BOY! :oops: What a dilemma.
Why is this a dilemma? If you download it and buy it later I don't see any problems. You have it earlier and with buying a copy when it comes out you'll suport the band. I don't really get what you mean.

Metalcentral
Jr. Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Metalcentral » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Texidor wrote::?: On the subject of downloading the album......I have to admit I am quite divided on that subject. On one hand I have been waiting for a true return of my favorite band in the whole world STRATOVARIUS. I mean honestly the S/T album was not my favorite even though it had a couple of good songs. And well what was to be the infamous RR album well was good and passable but nothing that got my blood totally pumping and tugged at my soul. So to be quite honest I would be more incline to download this album. Its something I have been waiting for for a long time. Of course I would buy more than one copy of the album. And do also have plans to buy tickets to the upcoming tour. I just have to have it NOW!
On the other hand I think that waiting would help support the band more. I believe that they would sell more records and have bigger profile if less people would download and actually went and bought the album. And I am sure the guys would appreciate our patient. OH BOY! :oops: What a dilemma.
Why is this a dilemma? If you download it and buy it later I don't see any problems. You have it earlier and with buying a copy when it comes out you'll suport the band. I don't really get what you mean.
One dilemma would perhaps be that it is still illigal?
And it is the bands work, and if they want it on the net before the relase it should be up to them and not others do decide.

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:26 pm

Metalcentral wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Texidor wrote::?: On the subject of downloading the album......I have to admit I am quite divided on that subject. On one hand I have been waiting for a true return of my favorite band in the whole world STRATOVARIUS. I mean honestly the S/T album was not my favorite even though it had a couple of good songs. And well what was to be the infamous RR album well was good and passable but nothing that got my blood totally pumping and tugged at my soul. So to be quite honest I would be more incline to download this album. Its something I have been waiting for for a long time. Of course I would buy more than one copy of the album. And do also have plans to buy tickets to the upcoming tour. I just have to have it NOW!
On the other hand I think that waiting would help support the band more. I believe that they would sell more records and have bigger profile if less people would download and actually went and bought the album. And I am sure the guys would appreciate our patient. OH BOY! :oops: What a dilemma.
Why is this a dilemma? If you download it and buy it later I don't see any problems. You have it earlier and with buying a copy when it comes out you'll suport the band. I don't really get what you mean.
One dilemma would perhaps be that it is still illigal?
And it is the bands work, and if they want it on the net before the relase it should be up to them and not others do decide.
Actually, It is illegal. So what? I know ppl who do it that way since years and nothing ever happened.

This is stupid. I am pretty sure the band is always agains the leak. But it isn't on them really. They can't really decide. If someone who gets a promo CD tries to leak it, he will leak it. No matter what the band says.

User avatar
robocop656
Sr. Member
Posts: 2312
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: pæniš
Contact:

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by robocop656 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:47 pm

Ragehead91 wrote: Actually, It is illegal. So what?
:shock: Apparantly you weren't sued by Metallica in the napster days!!
:lol: :lol:

I got 8 years and no probation for downloading master of puppets in 96kbps!! :lol: :lol:

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:57 pm

I wasn't into Metal during the Napster days. I started listening to Metal in 2004.

User avatar
black death
Sr. Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by black death » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:19 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Metalcentral wrote: One dilemma would perhaps be that it is still illigal?
And it is the bands work, and if they want it on the net before the relase it should be up to them and not others do decide.
Actually, It is illegal. So what? I know ppl who do it that way since years and nothing ever happened.

This is stupid. I am pretty sure the band is always agains the leak. But it isn't on them really. They can't really decide. If someone who gets a promo CD tries to leak it, he will leak it. No matter what the band says.
Actually, as long as I know, the downloading itself is NOT illegal in most countries. What is illegal is providing something copyrighted for downloading. But often it occures concurrently...
Ragehead91 wrote:I wasn't into Metal during the Napster days. I started listening to Metal in 2004.
So what? It's not only about metal.

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:56 pm

black death wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Metalcentral wrote: One dilemma would perhaps be that it is still illigal?
And it is the bands work, and if they want it on the net before the relase it should be up to them and not others do decide.
Actually, It is illegal. So what? I know ppl who do it that way since years and nothing ever happened.

This is stupid. I am pretty sure the band is always agains the leak. But it isn't on them really. They can't really decide. If someone who gets a promo CD tries to leak it, he will leak it. No matter what the band says.
Actually, as long as I know, the downloading itself is NOT illegal in most countries. What is illegal is providing something copyrighted for downloading. But often it occures concurrently...
Ragehead91 wrote:I wasn't into Metal during the Napster days. I started listening to Metal in 2004.
So what? It's not only about metal.
About downloading:
I dunno how it is in your country, but here in germany ppl got sued because they downloaded music without paying for it. So yay, it is Illegal. At least in germany.

And about the Napster thing:
He was refering to the Napster/Metallica thing which was mainly about Metal. of course I know it is music in generall. I said that because it was impossible for me to get sued because of this whole case because I wasn't even listening to their music at that point nor did I download something from them.

User avatar
robocop656
Sr. Member
Posts: 2312
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:04 pm
Location: pæniš
Contact:

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by robocop656 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:21 am

Personally and if anybody really gives a shit, my experience with buying cds versus downloading is kind of shitty. When I buy cds, I appreciate the music a lot more than just downloading it. It feels as if throughout the years my enthusiasm about music has gone down the drain. Having such a vast amount of music available online spoiled me and I rarely take the time to just sit down and appreciate the music. The sweat and blood that most musicians go through ain't just a walk in the park obviously and it's a sad thing. But the feeling of having the artwork in your hands and reading the lyrics, knowing all the time and passion it took has a emotional attachment. More so when I was growing up. But anyway, the moral of the story is give credit where credit is due. :)

User avatar
Verdades Parias
Sr. Member
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:34 pm
Location: Entre Ríos, ARGENTINA!!!

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Verdades Parias » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:09 am

LauriPorra wrote:
Polaris wrote:
LauriPorra wrote:Glad you like the stuff, Emancipation suite is written by me. I also wrote the music and lyrics to songs Falling star, Forever is today and When mountains fall.
Really!? You wrote all those songs alone?
So what can I expected from you as composer?
Now I'm worry! :o :lol:


I sure did, lyrics and all. If you want to listen to my earlier stuff why not get one or both of my soloalbums. If you want to hear some metalstuff i have done, check out some of the tracks i wrote for warmen.
Some days ago, I was hearing "All children...", and listening to the song Realeased, I was thinking: "This dude should be playing Pink floyd or progresive stuff", is like a D. Gilmore song, it's rare how someone who plays in such a Heavy Metal Band can be playing this kind of ethereal, climatic and atmospheric stuff, really beutiful

User avatar
Texidor
Sr. Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:41 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Texidor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:42 am

:P I have to agree with you there. You are absolutley right! I remember when I first started buying cd's back in the 90's it was always exciting ( especially before the internet ) to hold a new cd from your favorite band and see the artwork and liner notes. I remember the day I went to my local record store and picked up Destiny. I remember driving in my car and listening to the first notes of little boy singing and me pulling over going WOW! THE HELL IS THIS ! THIS AWESOME. I remember having that heart tugging feeling listening to Inifinite and Elements.

As I said earlier I would love to have hands and ears on Polaris today but you have a point my friend.......... The experience is far too worth it. BUt how times they have changed! :cry:
SHINE ON!

User avatar
Texidor
Sr. Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:41 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Texidor » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:31 am

LauriPorra wrote:
Polaris wrote:
LauriPorra wrote:Glad you like the stuff, Emancipation suite is written by me. I also wrote the music and lyrics to songs Falling star, Forever is today and When mountains fall.
Really!? You wrote all those songs alone?
So what can I expected from you as composer?
Now I'm worry! :o :lol:


I sure did, lyrics and all. If you want to listen to my earlier stuff why not get one or both of my soloalbums. If you want to hear some metalstuff i have done, check out some of the tracks i wrote for warmen.



It seems that Strato is going back to their melodic epic power metal style. After the S/T what inspired you guys to do a different type of record with POLARIS? :?:
SHINE ON!

User avatar
black death
Sr. Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by black death » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:22 am

Ragehead91 wrote: I dunno how it is in your country, but here in germany ppl got sued because they downloaded music without paying for it. So yay, it is Illegal. At least in germany.
No idea what is ppl, but media here also say somebody was sued because of downloading etc. I dunno how is it in Germany and I'm too lazy to find it out :P , but if you're just repeating what you've heard in news, it doesn't necessarily have to be absolutely correct. I said most countries, not all.

But if all Germans thinks in the same way like you...
Ragehead91 wrote:Actually, It is illegal. So what? I know ppl who do it that way since years and nothing ever happened.
...yay, I'm not surprised if it's illegal :lol:

empi
Member
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2003 12:19 pm
Location: Nürnberg

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by empi » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:28 am

Another question why must there be a lable like edel nuclearblast or whatever. Is the risk of selfproduction so high for a band ?
I liked it very much how TT sold Saana over webdownload and paypal.
Why must there be a label in the value chain ? I bet without the label cds would be cheaper. I have no problem to pay 15 bucks or so for the guys who made the music but the label what the fuck are they for ?? Some marketing bullshit and blabla.

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:48 am

black death wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote: I dunno how it is in your country, but here in germany ppl got sued because they downloaded music without paying for it. So yay, it is Illegal. At least in germany.
No idea what is ppl, but media here also say somebody was sued because of downloading etc. I dunno how is it in Germany and I'm too lazy to find it out :P , but if you're just repeating what you've heard in news, it doesn't necessarily have to be absolutely correct. I said most countries, not all.

But if all Germans thinks in the same way like you...
Ragehead91 wrote:Actually, It is illegal. So what? I know ppl who do it that way since years and nothing ever happened.
...yay, I'm not surprised if it's illegal :lol:
I have to apologize here. I remembered the news storys wrong. These guys were sued for uploading and sharing with programs like Bearshear and Limewire. Sorry for that. My fault. You're right.

User avatar
JensJohansson
Administrator
Posts: 1490
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by JensJohansson » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:12 pm

empi wrote:Another question why must there be a lable like edel nuclearblast or whatever. Is the risk of selfproduction so high for a band? I liked it very much how TT sold Saana over webdownload and paypal. Why must there be a label in the value chain ? I bet without the label cds would be cheaper. I have no problem to pay 15 bucks or so for the guys who made the music but the label what the fuck are they for ?? Some marketing bullshit and blabla.
This is a really good point. The short answer is, after you produce an album it has to compete with other albums in the marketplace, and it has nothing to do with the music on the album. There is just also alot of other people out there making music! Thus you need people coordinating, handling marketing -- buying magazine ads, buying radio ads, setting up publicity, pressing CDs, handling foreign licensing, and much more. For us to do it ourselves it would really be too much work and we could not do it reliably, we are flakey, we don't have offices set up to do this kind of work (I sometimes basically have a n "office" which consists of a suitcase, a laptop and a cell phone, myself).

This is why you need labels. They have people who do this stuff all day long, and they are good at it.

This may be different some day, but at this point (2009) that day is not here quite yet. At this level of production you will still have to rely on selling physical product (CDs). You'll note that even Saana now finally is also available as an actual CD.

The internet bandwidth explosion has made conditions more difficult at the moment, not easier. Of course a lot of people are honest, but there are many who also just download music for free. This makes having professionals handling marketing even more important, since margins have shrunk.

Some people question the need for copyrights. I disagree with them. The copyright (right for a human to own also non-tangible or intellectual property) is even referred to in the UN declaration of human rights.

RazielSR
Sr. Member
Posts: 2505
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:32 am
Location: Valencia - Spain

Re: Listening to Polaris now

Post by RazielSR » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:42 pm

We (stratovarius forum members) should create a new label to promote Stratovarius. Stinky pregnant for president :lol:

Anyway, labels are necessary, that's for sure. The same way every "worker" of the band is necessary (drums technicians, soundtechnicians, lighting technicians , mixing technicians, vodka technicians, coffee technicians, cleaner technicians, wcexplosive technicians)...
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Locked