DragonForce... ?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Xelrog T. Apocalypse
DragonForce... ?

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:37 pm

Sorry for another semi-relevant topic, but I was curious if there were many, if any, DragonForce fans here? Everywhere I look, I seem to see the Stratovarius fans bashing on DragonForce and vice versa... personally, I'm a fan of both of them, though Stratovarius is usually my preference between the two.

Yes, I know that they've only been around a few years. No, I don't give a shit whether they do or don't alter their playing speed or perform live. Yes, I find the lyrics stereotypical from time to time, but they'll still have their moments. All I honestly care about is that I find the music enjoyable to listen to with a certain embodiment of power that I personally listen to these sorts of bands in order to find.

I was wondering how many of you shared these sentiments and how many are neo-warring fanboys. Thoughts?

fernandotcl

Re: DragonForce... ?

Post by fernandotcl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Cant' say they're my favourite band, but I like their music. In special their latest album was great. Although the music is fast, it's not "plain" in any sense, there's a good load of emotion in it.

And I'm going to see them live in 29 days. :D

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:06 pm

I completly agree with your too. There is also another thing that bugs me. Everyone bitches and complains about Power Metal is always the same and the it is getting old. Now Dragonforce come along and do something new (and there is no other band that play the kind of Power Metal DragonForce play. Very fast and with videogame influence and all) and the people still complain about it.

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:17 pm

I'll second that it's difficult to find anything like it, yes, and that's one of the things I enjoy about it. Likewise it's difficult to find anything exactly like Stratovarius because it has its own unique sound to it and spans such a wide variety of styles and genres.

Another fantastic band - and they were mentioned in the 'Dream Concert' thread some time ago - is Symphony X, my [VERY close] second-favorite after Stratovarius. The only thing I love more than symphonic rock (what I call Soul of a Vagabond; what you call power metal) is classical rock, and they've managed to hit the nail on the head. A lot of Greek/classical influence combined with a new-age, very heavy mixed sound and deep, 'hidden meaning' lyrics. Right now I'm a bit obsessed with the track Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies), but I haven't listened to anything on the latest Polaris album yet, so with any luck Strato will win back my fandom. <:3

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:18 pm

Yeah. Symphony X is a great Band. Russel Allen is just awesome! What a voice!

stonedphoenix

Post by stonedphoenix » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:22 pm

I don't like DragonFake :cry:
But Symphony X kicks some serious ass! Russell's voice is one of the best i've heard in a long time in this musical genre!

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:27 pm

Speaking of voices... Rhapsody of Fire, whoever's leading that... jeez, man... XD

They've got a serious edge when it comes to Latin choir segments, which is an automatic win, but the singer... Oh man, that singer... Normally I wouldn't care for the sort of genre, but I'm mildly drawn in by the whole 'ballad over the course of an album' situation and held there by the choirs.

My current heirarchy: Stratovarius > Symphony X > DragonForce > Rhapsody of Fire.

I'm thinking of buying a little Apocalyptica to get a sample and I've heard good things about Kamelot and Sonata Arctica, too. But I stopped downloading for integrity's sake. (Hah. Limewire died.)

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:30 pm

I admit that Dragonforce we're the first Power Metal band I got into before Strato, Blind Guardian or Helloween. and I can listen to them. What I don't like about them is the recognition. Because I believe Stratovarius should have alot more of the recognition Dragonforce is getting. That is my own opinion anyway, im sure not everyone thinks this here :wink:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:31 pm

Rhapsody is cool. I am a whore for Neo-Clasical Metal!

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:35 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Stratodan. Normally I can't stand anything that gets more credit than it deserves... and DragonForce probably wouldn't be an exception were all the hype not focused entirely on Through the Fire and Flames after the Guitar Hero whoring.

The series had been long overdue for a Strato song - and by now I daresay they don't deserve one. Personally, I'd be insulted if they included any on that new Metallica title.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:38 pm

Maybe as a downloadable track. I think Black Diamond would be cool. Or Hunting High and Low. Maybe a new one too!

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Eh. Like I said, I think there are series far more deserving of Stratovarius' epic out there. (... DBZ anyone? Anyone? =D)

I've seen someone play Phoenix (on Very Hard) using a hacked Guitar Hero II before, though.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:43 pm

Xelrog T. Apocalypse wrote:Eh. Like I said, I think there are series far more deserving of Stratovarius' epic out there. (... DBZ anyone? Anyone? =D)
Why? I think there are ppl out there who would like to play Strato on Guitar Hero. And don't tell me the "They've sold out" BS. It is just good advertisement. I know, DragonForce overblew it a bit but still.

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm not insulting Stratovarius, I'm insulting Guitar Hero. I just think it's horribly overrated as a series and combining the two would be an insult to both modern gaming and the band itself.

It's bad enough we have to deal with this 'family Wii' BS now. -_-

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:52 pm

I like Dragonforce a lot and saw them live in Wacken 2005, even talked with Herman Li at the backstage area and he was really easy-going, actually the whole band is. :)

They certainly have a not too variative music style compared to Stratovarius or a Dream Theater, but I don't think it's a big problem. They will surely take new directions in the future just like other long running bands.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:53 pm

I bought their debut album when it came out. I think I listened to it few times, but now it just serves as a plate for an inch-thick layer of dust. And any new songs I've heard from them didn't impress me any more.
Kudos for them for creating such a unique sound, though.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:57 pm

Xelrog T. Apocalypse wrote:I'm not insulting Stratovarius, I'm insulting Guitar Hero. I just think it's horribly overrated as a series and combining the two would be an insult to both modern gaming and the band itself.
It is a guitar "simulation". You play it for fun. I don't see what is overrated about the series. I know, all this 13-year-old boys who brag because they can "pley Thru teh Fier end teh flemes on exberd" can get on your nerves but overall It is a fun game.

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:18 am

Those people who say DragonForce "sold out" certainly didn't listen to Ultra Beatdown. Last time I checked, selling out implied a change of style in order to gather more popularity, and in that sense DrafonForce remained as "true" to its "roots" as possible.
Ragehead91 wrote:I completly agree with your too. There is also another thing that bugs me. Everyone bitches and complains about Power Metal is always the same and the it is getting old. Now Dragonforce come along and do something new (and there is no other band that play the kind of Power Metal DragonForce play. Very fast and with videogame influence and all) and the people still complain about it.
I don't know who those people who complain about power metal being always the same are, cause I'm not one of them and I have yet to find someone who really likes power metal and thinks it's getting old. Power metal fans who say power metal is getting old aren't power metal fans. Good music is atemporal. Heck I've been listening to the same songs for the last 6 years (and I know people who have been doing so for much longer) and it never got even remotely close to old to my ears (thank God!).

Now what DragonForce does is much more than "uptempo music". Even if they played their songs at half speed, they would still sound amazing, cause they're really good songs.
stratodan1990 wrote:What I don't like about them is the recognition. Because I believe Stratovarius should have alot more of the recognition Dragonforce is getting. That is my own opinion anyway, im sure not everyone thinks this here
There's a lot of hype surrounding DragonForce, but that isn't a bad thing. In the end, when everyone is tired of Guitar Hero and the hype fades away, real fans will remain loyal to the music.

And the world isn't fair to being with. Decent bands rarely get the attention they deserve. DragonForce is getting decent attention, that is a good thing for power metal fans in general.

And well, Stratovarius, HammerFall and Edguy are still far more popular here than DragonForce. They're not even gonna play in Sao Paulo for this tour, instead they'll play on a nearby city, at a smaller venue. They still have to prove their salt down here. :D

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:44 am

I love dragonforce songs on midi where I can make piano versions and play around with the arrangements. They come up with some of my favorite melodies.

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:08 am

I think Dragonforce is horrible. Most of their music sounds exactly the same (which is common in Power Metal...but Dragonforce's repetition is unbearable). They do nothing original, and their guitarists are just speed demons that have no heart or soul (just like having 2 Yngwie's with only half the talent).

And their singer...dear God, their singer. Such an annoying piece of shit.

And live, they're one of the worst performers I've ever seen.

They're a gimmick band who will fade away as quick as they appeared.

Most overrated power metal band next to Helloween. But at least Helloween has talent.

m4tthewk

Post by m4tthewk » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:01 am

Dragonforce represent everything bad about the genre to me. They take an already very formulaic brand of music and somehow make it even more generic and lifeless. They're a novelty act and I really don't care for them.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:11 am

When I saw them they played accurate. They are skilled, whether people want to call them talented or not.

NightScreamer

Post by NightScreamer » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:00 am

Nope, dragonforce sucks balls, but Rhapsody is good, and so is BG

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:40 am

I find it ok to say you don't like it, not useful at all maybe in the context of this thread, but acceptable.

But people who say they don't have "soul" never listened to a complete album apparently. They don't have a "soul" compared to what? Compared to Stratovarius, I'd agree, but they aren't below the average power metal band when it comes to "soul", whatever you mean by that.

They're an easy target and people simply bash them for whatever reason. It's like they were harming the genre or something, it's weird. If it's popular, it's automatically disgusting.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:19 am

Star_Ocean wrote:I think Dragonforce is horrible. Most of their music sounds exactly the same (which is common in Power Metal...but Dragonforce's repetition is unbearable). They do nothing original, and their guitarists are just speed demons that have no heart or soul (just like having 2 Yngwie's with only half the talent).

And their singer...dear God, their singer. Such an annoying piece of shit.

And live, they're one of the worst performers I've ever seen.

They're a gimmick band who will fade away as quick as they appeared.

Most overrated power metal band next to Helloween. But at least Helloween has talent.
You don't mean that.
You just say that because you don't like a band that others do.
More fans = more haters

I like DF and I just hate all the people bashing it around the web. whatever the band says or does it can't help them because there are people obsessed of writing some comments on every possible on video on youtube.
after that the people who like the video don't even check DF out but instead if they are asked do they like dragonforce they say everything the basher told.

I like PM and many other metal genres but one thing I cant stand is bashing.
and no I don't like DF that much but it is good at times.

If you are looking for a strato style Pm band there are lots of stuff out there like:
old Sonata Arctica
Excalion (in a way)
you should at least check Leverage and Olympos mons

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:49 am

Saying you don't like it is one thing, telling people it downright sucks is just being a self-righteous asshole. >.> I've listened to Edguy on YouTube a few times and it doesn't even sound like the same kind of music to me - it sounds like one of those whiny little teen fad bands like Green Day and Linkin Park.

Just keep in mind that there is no fact here - from simple mathematics to who the superior between two bands is, the world runs on opinion. In a reply to mayhem, I only partially agree with you: It's all a matter of taste. I enjoy DragonForce - I think they have some enjoyable-sounding songs, regardless of whether most of them have a similar style, and I can listen to most of them without getting bored very quickly. In fact there may just be a greater percentage of DF songs I find notable when compared to their whole discography than there is Stratovarius songs. But there are bands out there who just plain don't deserve the hype. Linkin Park and Drowning Pool among them. I'm disgusted by how readily society will hop on the bandwagon because some asshole seems to think that listening to that rubbish is 'the cool thing to do', whether it's good or not, and then abandon everything they've stood for for the past two months because he/she decides that he/she's sick of it.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:58 am

Music is full of irony and people are full of it too.

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:11 pm

Yngwie Malmsteen = so good

Stratovarius = even better

the rest... bad copies. :D

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:08 pm

You've propably never heard of Joe Stump. Great guitarist.

Xelrog T. Apocalypse

Post by Xelrog T. Apocalypse » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Is Yngwie the DragonForce lead singer, lol? I barely know Stratovarius members, let alone the other bands. :(

Vocal-wise I have to pick Symphony X. I don't have much real preference between Tolkki and DragonForce... Rhapsody's an easy last though. XD Which isn't to say they're a bad band. I just think their vocalist isn't exactly the best around. ;P

And no, never heard of Stump. I've heard of Jerry C., though.