Polaris - Your Review

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
JensJohansson
Administrator
Re: Polaris - Your Review

Post by JensJohansson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:16 pm

Mormegil wrote: Jens once explained it on this forum. The song tells about megalomaniac Swedish king who is trying to create a huge Swedish Empire.

I think he was Karl XII ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_XII_of_Sweden ) but I'm not entirely sure.
No no no!

Moar like this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(history)

It was more about the idiocy of warfare and overstretched empires anyway. Oh dear, now i sound so self important. :lol:

STINKY_PREGNANT_MAN

Post by STINKY_PREGNANT_MAN » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:23 am

SPEAKING OF "OVERSTRETCHED EMPIRES", I HAVE RETURNED FROM A VISIT TO MY GYNECOLOGIST TO BEAR YOU AN IMPORTANT, PROFOUND BIT OF WISDOM I HAVE RECENTLY ACQUIRED. IT GOES AS FOLLOWS:

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR.

I CAME UP WITH THIS WITTICISM BY MY LONESOME!

KISSES,
STINKY!

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:13 pm

Intiaani wrote:As requested in the Finnish talk forum, I translated my rather new Polaris review into English. So, here goes. :roll:

9½/10, the Album of the Year so far on par with Heaven & Hell – The Devil You Know.

You actually think The devil you know is good??? I would give that album 3/10. Really boring.

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Rage1979 wrote:
Intiaani wrote:As requested in the Finnish talk forum, I translated my rather new Polaris review into English. So, here goes. :roll:

9½/10, the Album of the Year so far on par with Heaven & Hell – The Devil You Know.

You actually think The devil you know is good??? I would give that album 3/10. Really boring.
It was, at start. Have you given it some time to grow? The songs end up to be better than most on The Mob Rules, not to speak of Dehumanizer... The monotonity of the songs become some sort of solid balance in time, and that makes it a really strong album with absolutely no weak tracks on it! Nowadays I get goose bumps on Atom & Evil and Bible Black already although I thought especially Bible Black was too long and boring at first. ;)

Then again, maybe sheer hard listening has kinda automatically made it a good album for me; I've listened to it about as much as Polaris, and that's a lot more than other albums of this year. I don't care, though. It still very close to masterpiece for me. :)

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:25 pm

Intiaani wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:

A few listens... I dont have the time to listen to every album 10 times like before.. then I wouldn't have the change to listen to the stuff that really is good.. I miss the melodies.. But then again nothing that Dio has done since Dehumanizer is actually really good..

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:37 pm

I shouldn't have time for that either... That album just made me play itself until its secrets finally revealed to me. Or something. D: I listen to much music nowadays, so it's about a couple of albums a year I listen to more than a few times.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:51 am

Intiaani wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:

It was, at start. Have you given it some time to grow? The songs end up to be better than most on The Mob Rules, not to speak of Dehumanizer... The monotonity of the songs become some sort of solid balance in time, and that makes it a really strong album with absolutely no weak tracks on it! Nowadays I get goose bumps on Atom & Evil and Bible Black already although I thought especially Bible Black was too long and boring at first. ;)
Disagree BIG Time. The Devil You know is good, but both the Mob Rules and Dehumanizer are better.

@DiamonD@

Post by @DiamonD@ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:56 am

Yeah, "Polaris" is really great album! It gives possitive and god humour :lol: but I shoul like to say something about Tolkki's music in RR: it's still impressing, but very-very depressing

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:22 am

One thing I'm feeling with Polaris is that I need to listen the album again.

I mean, I usually stop playing an album for some weeks when I get a bit bored to listen the same songs playing over and over again, and then if I have the necessity to listen again that album, it is because I really like it. Well I suppose the same happens to everybody.

That didn't happen to me with AoA. I was listening the album for one week, in the car, home, computer, etc, etc, and I've never feel the necessity to hear it again. It is sad, but true. I have the album in the shelf meaning just the first RR album, the new TT's band.

And I know, I do know, that the next Stratovarius album is gonna be better than Polaris. Mainly because Polaris was a difficult album with a lot of strange things on air.

I'm really happy with all the things happening nowadays in Stratovarius camp. I would prefer to see Stratovarius as always was, with the classic line-up and all the things we don't have nowadays. But, in essence, it's almost the same. and the new guys, Matias and Lauri are doing great and I accepted them as new Stratovarius members since I heard Polaris 2 or 3 times.

The only thing I miss is to see Tolkki making new and fantastic albums and being well and steady. Cause as all we know, we know nothing about RR and Tolkki's camp.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:41 pm

@DiamonD@ wrote:Yeah, "Polaris" is really great album! It gives possitive and god humour :lol: but I shoul like to say something about Tolkki's music in RR: it's still impressing, but very-very depressing
It would be depressing if they won´t carry on..

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:54 pm

@DiamonD@ wrote:Yeah, "Polaris" is really great album! It gives possitive and god humour :lol: but I shoul like to say something about Tolkki's music in RR: it's still impressing, but very-very depressing
Nope. Maybe it would be depressing if I would care for it.

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:53 pm

RazielSR wrote:One thing I'm feeling with Polaris is that I need to listen the album again.

I mean, I usually stop playing an album for some weeks when I get a bit bored to listen the same songs playing over and over again, and then if I have the necessity to listen again that album, it is because I really like it. Well I suppose the same happens to everybody.

That didn't happen to me with AoA. - -
Well, at least it happens for me to. Well, it hasn't happened since Destiny in this measure anyway, except on some Blind Guardian works mainly. :) But with Stratovarius, nope. It's inexplicable how the album just makes you come back for it every single time. For me the reasons of course are 1) it's a new Stratovarius album, and Stratovarius for me is more like a brand than a band; something I always feel good with, their music just can't be bad. 2) The variety of songs. The only spot I it isn't happening is between Forever Is Today and Higher We Go, as they are too similar songs in a row. Otherwise this album changes all the time: only a few albums do that, especially in power metal. 3) Sheer quality of the album. Great songs, and the Stratovarius sound which originally drained me into their music is there. And there is certain magic to it I really can't explain... :D I kinda like it less than the best of Stratovarius albums, but still it just keeps getting more listens, always being the best choice for all the Strato records to get into the player. ??? The guys must've drugged it at least, or something!

And this certainly didn't happen with AoA. I originaly thought it was Tolkki's composing that affected me so strongly, but apparently it wasn't. It's the sound, the band, Stratovarius, playing. Especially as Porra's taken one huge step forward as a composer, a huge step at least for the Stratovarius fankind. :)
RazielSR wrote:And I know, I do know, that the next Stratovarius album is gonna be better than Polaris.
If this will be true, I'll be utterly amazed. Once again. Although the band has never let me down before...