Live Setlist?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
GageClawson
Re: Live Setlist?

Post by GageClawson » Tue May 19, 2009 10:12 pm

CES wrote:That shows you how bad the acoustics are in the Cathouse. I was at the front row off to the left less than 4 feet from the speakers on that side though. I only regained hearing in my left ear this morning.
Yeah man the cathouse had a pretty shitty sound. I was at the front-right, and my ears were still ringing this morning, seem to be fine now but I was quite worried. :lol:

CES

Post by CES » Tue May 19, 2009 11:09 pm

Yeah, I was getting a bit worried. Had I still been partly deaf today, I was going to make an appointment with the doctor. I've been to almost every venue in Glasgow and never had partial deafness like that before.

ap3311

Post by ap3311 » Wed May 20, 2009 1:03 am

Wow and I was going to mention this. My right ear was completely deaf the day after the Wolves gig and didn't stop ringing til yesterday. They were ridiculously loud though, I mean as least twice as loud as any other gig I've ever been to!

CES

Post by CES » Wed May 20, 2009 2:50 am

I wouldn't call them the loudest band I've seen live. I think that honour goes to Slayer and Lamb of God. First ever concert I suffered a physical injury. Brilliant gig though.

Inventariado

Post by Inventariado » Fri May 22, 2009 11:58 am

Gregory wrote: Intro (Clockwork Orange)
Hunting High and Low
Speed of Light
The Kiss of Judas
Higher We Go
A Million Light Years Away
Will The Sun Rise
Winter Skies
Phoenix
Forever
Visions
Eagleheart

Deep Unknown
Black Diamond
Even it sounds ridiculous for many people, I would like not having so many classics on the setlist. I think Polaris is a very important album in this band history, or better said, totally a new chapter, so it would be fresh and cool to hear more live versions of these new songs.

In my humble opinion, although this band has a huge history and a glorious catalog of songs, live shows should bet more to the present and future. Last world tour with TT had a similar setlist, and for the things that happened, hearing all those songs without TT will make more evident the missing.

I can't say I don't like this setlist, but I would really love more to hear at least 6 Polaris songs (Blind, Winter skies, Forever is today, Falling star, Higher we go and Deep Unknown, as opening song perhaps!).
Mariano

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Fri May 22, 2009 12:11 pm

Inventariado wrote:Even it sounds ridiculous for many people, I would like not having so many classics on the setlist. I think Polaris is a very important album in this band history, or better said, totally a new chapter, so it would be fresh and cool to hear more live versions of these new songs.
Doesn't sound ridiculous, but it was a bit of a conscious decision for this tour leg. It's always more difficult for people to absorb live what they hear for the very the first time. And the new album only came out this week! :)

Having said that, now with hindsight the response also for the new songs was really nice though.

symphox

Post by symphox » Fri May 22, 2009 12:19 pm

JensJohansson wrote:
Inventariado wrote:Even it sounds ridiculous for many people, I would like not having so many classics on the setlist. I think Polaris is a very important album in this band history, or better said, totally a new chapter, so it would be fresh and cool to hear more live versions of these new songs.
Doesn't sound ridiculous, but it was a bit of a conscious decision for this tour leg. It's always more difficult for people to absorb live what they hear for the very the first time. And the new album only came out this week! :)

Having said that, now with hindsight the response also for the new songs was really nice though.
Yeah i think in few weeks, there are more and more from Polaris songs, but for the moment it's very important play HHAL, Black diamond, Visions... for fans!! And see Matias played too :D

Jens how are you feeling about UK tour? it was Great to begin a new adventure with Strato? 8)

Raven

Post by Raven » Fri May 22, 2009 6:36 pm

JensJohansson wrote:Doesn't sound ridiculous, but it was a bit of a conscious decision for this tour leg. It's always more difficult for people to absorb live what they hear for the very the first time. And the new album only came out this week! :)

Hey Jens, I say that you just have to take more of Polaris songs to the setlist. Not for any moral reasons, but just because those songs are good and they can easily compete with old classics. That way they get more familiar with people and become classics as well :)

I might come to see you guys at Myötätuulirock and I hope that I'll hear Forever Is Today there live!

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Fri May 22, 2009 6:49 pm

Well, let's see...you can't make a whole setlist just with Polaris! :)

I think that songs like:

Blind
Forever is today
King of nothing
Winter skies
Emancipation I and II
When mountains fall (acoustic)
Deep Unknown

MUST appear in future gigs.

Then OF COURSE the classics. But I think it's interestig if we could find some songs that Stratovarius doesn't used to play so much. Jens in the interview talked about Phoenix, that's a fantastic song and a bit "wasted". And what about The abyss of your eyes? TK is perfect singing live this one.

And there are so many more, like E-T-E-R-N-I-T-Y PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLAY THIS ONE.

My favourite strato song, Speed of light is always there, so I'm happy.

And S.O.S ??!

And LORD OF THE WASTELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what about Against the wind and Distant skies!?!?!?!

I was happy to see Will the sun rise in Uk tour.

Hunting is starting to be a bit...boring, you know the song is GREAT but is ALWAYS in the setlists!

OH! FOREVER FREE TOO!!!!

And TWILIGHT SYMPHONY!!

Inventariado wrote: In my humble opinion, although this band has a huge history and a glorious catalog of songs, live shows should bet more to the present and future. Last world tour with TT had a similar setlist, and for the things that happened, hearing all those songs without TT will make more evident the missing.
That is true, but you need some more songs to make a setlist!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Fri May 22, 2009 7:49 pm

I know TK doesn't really like the songs, but when Starto came to the states for the Black album, the only song that was played off of either elements was Eagleheart. I would love to hear a song like Elements or I'm still Alive in the setlist. I feel those albums are very good, but were kinda neglected live wise in the last few tours in the states

ap3311

Post by ap3311 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:23 pm

As many people have already mentioned they've never toured the UK before except for playing Bloodstock and a single gig in London a couple of years back.

Whilst a lot of you have heard the classics many times before and wanted a new setlist, I think I speak for most UK fans who say that we wanted the classics the most cos we'd never heard them live before. Of course a few songs from Polaris as well but I think 3 was the right number in my opinion. Very good choices as well, Winter Skies was awesome and will probably become a staple in the future.

shg

Post by shg » Sat May 23, 2009 6:12 am

Can I make a wish? Play some more songs from Polaris here in Finland summer-festivals. Specially in Sauna open air! We here already know those songs and album sell here quite well. My own favorite song is Blind. It is so goooood! So I'd be happy to hear that!

StratoFabio

Post by StratoFabio » Sun May 24, 2009 8:51 am

emperor_black wrote:-Deep Unknown
-Falling Star
-The Kiss of Judas
-Forever is Today
-Galaxies
-S.O.S
-Will the Sun Rise?
-Winter Skies
-Emancipation Suite
-Hunting High and Low
-Against the Wind
-United

Encore:
-Destiny
-Somehow Precious
-King of Nothing
-Black Diamond
is it actually the setlist for every new gig?
StratoFabio

empi

Post by empi » Sun May 24, 2009 11:05 am

come on 13 songs on the set and then 6 from polaris ? do it but without me.polaris is good but hey this band tours one time in 5 years so i like to hear the classics too

Jussi

Post by Jussi » Mon May 25, 2009 12:32 pm

It would be awesome to hear songs like somehow precious, king of nothing, elements, soul of vagabond, Season of Faith's Perfection, mother gaia and some quite fast songs from new album like forever is today and falling star.

I know that bands want to play in summer festivals songs that are familiar to the listeners, but I hope that you make exception! :)

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:54 am

http://www.metalfromfinland.com/news/20 ... _available

The group's setlist was as follows:
'Hunting High And Low'
'Speed Of Light'
'The Kiss Of Judas'
'Higher We Go'
'A Million Light Years Away'
'Will The Sun Rise?'
'Twilight Symphony'
'Winter Skies'
'Phoenix'
'Bass solo
'Forever'
'Visions'
'Eagleheart'

Encore:
TK's drum solo
'Deep Unknown'
Keyboards intro feat. main riff from 'Black Night' (DEEP PURPLE)
'Black Diamond'
A really good set.
If just Kiss of Judas would be swithed to Forever is Today I would be really happy.
Maybe destiny or Anthem of the world too but thats not as necessary.

We need a live album!!!
and a poll should Forever is Today be included in the set!

another_hero

Post by another_hero » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:18 pm

And Emancipation Dusk?... The best solo of Matias in Polaris... also be included in the set list... for me...

Angelic Storm

Post by Angelic Storm » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:02 pm

CES wrote:Perhaps because "We" (read: the UK) haven't had Strato tour this country ever in the 20-something years they've existed. Now, I'll try to explain it: In a country that you have never toured in but has a fanbase, would you a) Play the classics the fans want to hear or b) play songs from an album that wasn't even released in the country at that date.

So yeah, not everyone has had the chance to see Black Diamond, Eagleheart, Judas or Paradise live.
Well said! I missed the UK tour this time, hopefully they will come back soon :(

Lots of other countries have had the joy of seeing bands like Stratovarius every tour. This was the first for Strato doing a full UK tour, and if I went to see them for the first time, and didnt hear the likes of HHAL, Eagleheart, The Kiss Of Judas, or Black Diamond, I'd be extremely dissappointed. For fans who have seen them on numerous occasions, I can understand the need for the band to mix up the setlist a bit. But for those of us who have never had the opportunity of seeing them live before, we want to hear all the classics!

The new album is awesome though, and I'd love to hear a few songs from that of course. Especially "When Mountains Fall", one of the most beautiful songs of the world!

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:47 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:http://www.metalfromfinland.com/news/20 ... _available

'Hunting High And Low'
'Speed Of Light'
'The Kiss Of Judas'
'Higher We Go'
'Will The Sun Rise?'
'Twilight Symphony'
'Winter Skies'
'Phoenix'
'Bass solo
'Forever'
'Visions'
'Eagleheart'

Encore:
TK's drum solo
'Deep Unknown'
'Black Diamond'
A really good set.
If just Kiss of Judas would be swithed to Forever is Today I would be really happy.

We need a live album!!!
The tracklist sais 'TK's Drum Solo'!!! :shock: This is a mistake right?

palarmux

Post by palarmux » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:18 pm

rikkertje wrote:

'Hunting High And Low'
'Speed Of Light'
'The Kiss Of Judas'
'Higher We Go'
'Will The Sun Rise?'
'Twilight Symphony'
'Winter Skies'
'Phoenix'
'Bass solo
'Forever'
'Visions'
'Eagleheart'

Encore:
TK's drum solo
'Deep Unknown'
'Black Diamond'
A really good set.

We need a live album!!!
No it's not ;) He really made a solo with drums

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:19 pm

I want to see it before I believe it! :shock:

emperor_black

Post by emperor_black » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:51 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:32 pm

Was this some kind of joke like Helloween did in 2005 where for example Dani Löble (the drummer) would come out with a mini-guitar and have a duell with Sascha Gerstner and latter Markus Großkoppf with a mini drum-set a duel against Dani?

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:49 am

Well I do know that TK was as drummer a long time ago... Maybe he can still do it.

stonedphoenix

Post by stonedphoenix » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:06 am

palarmux wrote:
rikkertje wrote:

'Hunting High And Low'
'Speed Of Light'
'The Kiss Of Judas'
'Higher We Go'
'Will The Sun Rise?'
'Twilight Symphony'
'Winter Skies'
'Phoenix'
'Bass solo
'Forever'
'Visions'
'Eagleheart'

Encore:
TK's drum solo
'Deep Unknown'
'Black Diamond'
A really good set.

We need a live album!!!
No it's not ;) He really made a solo with drums
Someone upload that solo NOW!! :shud:

Gilles

Post by Gilles » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Somebody know if they played the same setlist in the last few show?

kindman

Post by kindman » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:35 am

Ragehead91 wrote:Was this some kind of joke like Helloween did in 2005 where for example Dani Löble (the drummer) would come out with a mini-guitar and have a duell with Sascha Gerstner and latter Markus Großkoppf with a mini drum-set a duel against Dani?
At the beginning of encore Jorg suddenly came out of his drum kit to the front of the stage and forced TK to play drum solo for the audience. Though Timo was really surprised, he played a couple of patterns and then told to totally stunned audience that he hasn't practiced for about 15 years. So seems all the thing was pure joke and improvisation from Jorg's side :D

palarmux

Post by palarmux » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:39 am

kindman wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:Was this some kind of joke like Helloween did in 2005 where for example Dani Löble (the drummer) would come out with a mini-guitar and have a duell with Sascha Gerstner and latter Markus Großkoppf with a mini drum-set a duel against Dani?
At the beginning of encore Jorg suddenly came out of his drum kit to the front of the stage and forced TK to play drum solo for the audience. Though Timo was really surprised, he played a couple of patterns and then told to totally stunned audience that he hasn't practiced for about 15 years. So seems all the thing was pure joke and improvisation from Jorg's side :D
That may be as you said. But it is possible that they have planning that before too. And Timo was "suprised" when Jörgi asked that. Who knows? :) Overall I think everybody in show loved it =)

eagledreamr

Post by eagledreamr » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:41 am

I see them tomorrow, I'll tell you the setlist, if TK played drums, if Jens sang La Cucaracha... :lol:

(omg, did I say tomorrow...TOMORROW!!!)
Life's to short to cry
Long enough to try

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:58 am

eagledreamr wrote:I see them tomorrow, I'll tell you the setlist, if TK played drums, if Jens sang La Cucaracha... :lol:

(omg, did I say tomorrow...TOMORROW!!!)
We are on the way.. :)