Stratovarius RR demos vs Polaris

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.

Which would be a better album, Strato RR or Strato Polaris? (RR demos with Strato performing)

Stratovarius RR hands down! Only Tolkki can write songs with such imense Strato soul.
12%
Polaris! No question about it! Stratovarius have been oppressed by a mighty tyrant for too long!
60%
I like both. RR rules, and sounds like old strato and so does polaris. Two very inspired records! (Mind you this option is a Cop Out!)
28%

Total votes: 68

warrencurrymetal
Stratovarius RR demos vs Polaris

Post by warrencurrymetal » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:11 pm

I want to know which do you think would have made a better return to form album? (or just plain better stratovarius album)

Only answer if you have heard the RR demos with the Strato crew. I'm not referring to new era. (even though the songs are basically the same)

IMO RR demos are really good, better than new era. I think all the new vocalists sound extremly detached from Tolkki's music as opposed to TK. Plus, I really enjoy the strato sound which is lacking on new era. However, this being said, I still think Polaris has more substance.

mayhem-for-all

Re: Stratovarius RR demos vs Polaris

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:15 pm

well I haven't listened to al of the demos but musically I like New Era a lot.
Some songs in the middle just don't fit Pasis voice that well but Kiske does good (although I don't usually like his voice or style or attitude)

And who wouldn't like Polaris (excluding Tolkki)

I'm not comparing them here ( I hate comparing as there is just music that I like a lot music that I like a bit and music I don't like these are in the same category)

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Stratovarius RR hands down! Only Tolkki can write songs with such imense Strato soul.

Polaris! No question about it! Stratovarius have been oppressed by a mighty tyrant for too long!

I like both. RR rules, and sounds like old strato and so does polaris. Two very inspired records! (Mind you this option is a Cop Out!)
Good job with the outrageously overdramatic comments: lol:

For me, my favorite album would be a mix of the two of them. RR has both my favorite songs and my least favorite songs out of the bunch.

palarmux

Post by palarmux » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Both are great, but i still put that polaris thing :)

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:20 pm

POlaris. No doubt.

Maddest Hatter

Post by Maddest Hatter » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 am

This is a tough one for me because I really love both albums. I know some of you have expressed your dissappointment with the material on Revolution Renaissance/ New Era, but I still play it heavily and I love it. I really think Tolkki did a great job with the songs. There are one or two on there that I could take or leave, but certainly songs like "Heroes," "I Did It My Way," "Angel," "Keep The Flame Alive," and "Last Night On Earth" show Tolkki at his finest.

While I do prefer the Revolution Renaissance demos slightly over New Era, the Strato demos are kind of sad to listen to because it reminds you of what it really COULD have been. A lot of those songs have the classic Stratovarius sound written all over them and though Tolkki did get some great singers to record them for New Era, I still think that Kotipelto's voice sounds the best on those tracks. Naturally, since the Strato tracks are demos, the lyrics on New Era are fine tuned and the production is vastly superior. But if Stratovarius has been given the same attention, Revolution Renaissance could have been a great album.

Having said that, I think Polaris is a great album in itself and I disagree with Tolkki's comments that it doesn't sound like a convicing Stratovarius album. It's got those uplifting melodies, Jorg's trademark double bass, epic songwritting, and those guitar/keyboard dual leads. Some of it is definately a step into new territory (Falling Star), and indeed some of it does sound more like Kotipelto than Stratovarius (Higher We Go). But quite a bit of it is very reminiscent of the Episode, Visions or Infinate era of the band (Forever Is Today). Naturally, it won't ever sound exactly like classic Strato without Tolkki, but I honestly was expecting more of a change than what it turned out to be.

So, long story short, I guess my vote goes for the 3rd option.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:10 am

I don't think demos give a fair representation of what a final version of a song would be like. We really don't get to know what the songs would have been like if they had become full studio versions of stratovarius. Time is a huge effect on songs. Elements 1 has a bonus disk that has all the demos from that record and there are some major changes to songs and we have other demos that show really big changes.

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:38 pm

Polaris only has a couple of songs I like. The rest, at least to me, is atrocious to listen to. Winter Skies, Blind, and King of Nothing are some of my least favorite Stratovarius songs.

RR is certainly not the greatest, but at least I can listen to the worst songs on the album without feeling like I want to throw my speakers through a window.

Inventariado

Post by Inventariado » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:00 am

RR demos and Polaris are quite different stuff.
Mariano

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:44 am

From the looks of tts posts, he would have put winter skies on an album if it was a song presented to him. He did put a few songs written by others out and any song not picked was of course available for the writer to release elsewhere. The band did pick tt to pick the songs/ came into the group knowing that TT had the control, but either way that is rather voluntary and members can always start their own bands to express themselves however they want.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:40 am

I think both are very different but also very good, I think it would have been great to see Stratovarius:RR however we got something just as good(and here's a controversial opinion)with Polaris.

Yes the songs do not sound like Tolkki written songs however the good spirit is still in there and the songs are still very beautiful.

Remember that this opinion does not reflect everyone else's just my own.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:07 am

Remember that this opinion does not reflect everyone else's just my own
Nice disclaimer. It's good to know.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:08 am

Star_Ocean wrote: Winter Skies, Blind, and King of Nothing are some of my least favorite Stratovarius songs.
:lol: :lol: Winter Skies and Blind are my two favourite songs on the record and are rapidly becoming two of my favourite of all Strato songs.

That's opinions for you! ;)
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:20 am

Inventariado wrote:RR demos and Polaris are quite different stuff.
I totally agree.

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:55 pm

NeonVomit wrote: :lol: :lol: Winter Skies and Blind are my two favourite songs on the record and are rapidly becoming two of my favourite of all Strato songs. That's opinions for you! ;)
Dude, I think you have some kickass opinions!! :lol:

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:35 pm

Honestly, I like both. I think new era with stratovarius would have been a masterpiece with both Jens and Jorg involved. Tolkki is a genius song writer! Things I love about Tolkki's song writing is that his songs are catchy with some of the best lyrics I have ever read. I'm guessing the arrangements, lyrics, and guitar solos probably would have been top tier if RR were finished with the original band and produced by Tolkki.

Then Polaris is something new and fresh with a formidable theme compared to other Strato albums especially in lieu of recent events. I still get that sense of positivity, but it's a little different with the new members. The album is technically proficient, there are some good hooks, and it is an album that shows what could have been (and is) without Tolkki. I like keys in general and especially Jens' keys and overall presence on this album. Like someone else said, I think Winter Skies and Blind are the best songs on this album right now. Brilliant composition on both those songs. The only complaint I have atm is some of the songs sound like a wannabe old Stratovarius to me. I really don't like emancipation suite, it sounds like an attempt to sound like a mix between Infinity and Babylon. Even the lyrics are an attempt to be like old Stratovarius. Not to say it's bad at all, but I think When Mountains Fall is far too superficial for me to like after listening to songs like Forever for almost the last 10 years.

I think if anything, Strato might wanna consider making music that doesn't attempt to sound like old Strato. I think King of Nothing is a good example. It's different and kind of makes the music and lyrics their own style and unique. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a big fan of metal in general not just Stratovarius, and to me Polaris and all of the songs are kick ass metal songs, but sometimes it doesn't have that same feeling when I get the impression that when the music is trying to retain that Tolkki sound.

I don't wanna seem negative because I do love both and I'm truly glad that we still have the new Strato producing new music and preserving the old classics to be played live. I'm sure the next album will be some good quality metal too. Although I dumped on Lauri's songs a little, I gotta say my favorite part on the album is the bridge in Forever is Today with Jens' harpsichord sound and the guitar harmonizing with it right before coming back to the chorus 8) If that's ever played live I could imagine a huge circle pit with people running fist pumping in the air! Cheers and I hope I no offense was taken.

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:19 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote: Winter Skies, Blind, and King of Nothing are some of my least favorite Stratovarius songs.
:lol: :lol: Winter Skies and Blind are my two favourite songs on the record and are rapidly becoming two of my favourite of all Strato songs.

That's opinions for you! ;)
I think the instrumental music in Winter Skies, Blind, and King of Nothing are probably the best on the album, but the way the vocals are written and the terrible chorus' just ruin it all and make them unbearable for me.

Which is weird, because in "Glory of the World," I hated the instruments, but loved the vocals. Same with "It's a Mystery." :lol:

Florian

Post by Florian » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:23 pm

I think the RR demo is far better than the RR version with all Timo Tolkki's friends. But I think Polaris and the RR demo are of same quality.

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:54 am

JensJohansson wrote:
NeonVomit wrote: :lol: :lol: Winter Skies and Blind are my two favourite songs on the record and are rapidly becoming two of my favourite of all Strato songs. That's opinions for you! ;)
Dude, I think you have some kickass opinions!! :lol:
So do I !!!!!!!!!!!! :D :beer:

Fuuso

Post by Fuuso » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:21 am

Polaris.
RR had some good songs like Last Night On Earth but I don't think it's even close to Polaris as a whole.

empi

Post by empi » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:16 pm

This poll is in my eyes totally retarded.
I really like Polaris but i like also RR demos.
opressed by tyrant???
And this typic strato soul from older songs can only be given by tolkki to those songs.Cause you feel how he expresses himself through his music.
But that doesnt mean that polaris songs are bad.
I think its normal that songs which were written by other composers have another soul. It is nothing bad but you can hear it.
I hope you get my point.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:26 pm

Okay, no all jokes aside, I always thought that exept Last Night on Earth New Era was really, really lame try from Tolkki to re-create the old magic from Visions days. And that attempt just failss in my opinion.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Ragehead:so polaris then?
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Yes. I also don't really like Polaris but I have to say it is a good album.

Neferte

Post by Neferte » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:47 am

I like some songs of both VERY MUCH. It's a mix of classic and new Strato.
"Heroes" with Kotipelto is just... great. I love the emphasis Timo gives to the verses.
And am I the only one who thinks that the main riff of the song "Revolution Renaissance" resembles "Soul of a Vagabond" a little? :roll:
Angels will cry
and the moon will disappear
the sun slowly dies
we'll be fading to the dark, so I fear...

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Neferte wrote:I like some songs of both VERY MUCH. It's a mix of classic and new Strato.
"Heroes" with Kotipelto is just... great. I love the emphasis Timo gives to the verses.
And am I the only one who thinks that the main riff of the song "Revolution Renaissance" resembles "Soul of a Vagabond" a little? :roll:
Heroes reminds me very much of "Against the Wind" and "Keep the Flame Alive" is a "A Tale that Wasn't Right" (Helloween Song) clone with "My Heart Will Go On" intro.

R.F.

Post by R.F. » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:00 pm

I like both albums and chose the thrid variant, but for the sake of the band Polaris is better, because it gave chance for other songwriters to show themselves.
Neferte wrote: And am I the only one who thinks that the main riff of the song "Revolution Renaissance" resembles "Soul of a Vagabond" a little? :roll:
Oh far not the only one =))
Even TT himself had to comment on this. I think there is nothing bad when the same composer makes similar music. And in metal it even more hard to invent something actually new. For self-copying shame on Hans Zimmer - remember Gladiator and Pirates of the Carribean =)

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:11 pm

The Stratovariusdemos sounds horrible in my opinion... But I love the songs! New era has some really amazing songs. Love both NE and A o A.