Better Guitarist

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.

Who's the better guitarist?

Timo Tolkki
52%
Matias Kupiainen
48%

Total votes: 71

Burning Reflection
Re: Better Guitarist

Post by Burning Reflection » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Takatukkajukka wrote: Matias uses different techniques like sweeping, string skipping, tapping etc, but nowadays is seems that Timo only use that fast alternate picking which he has been using last 10 years.
Ummmm...not true. Have you heard AoA and the RR demos? There are plenty of those techniques on AoA and the demos

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:55 pm

AoA was a very guitar based and different album.
I liked it and I think Tolkki did good.
He always does.

If I had just bought the rrecords and had never enetered internet I wouldn't be blaming Tolkki for anything.
still I have yet to judge what would I think of the Self titled album because I haven't bought it yet.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:36 pm

I have to agree that it's way to early to be comparing here, Matias has only done one album, we should wait till he's done a few more before we start polls like this.
metal feeds the beast

scorp

Post by scorp » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:43 pm

I just voted for Mat, not because I think he's better (as I said, there can be no comparison between them), but to "bring balance to the poll". :P

Let's just say that my ears are more attuned to TT's guitars and prog isn't exactly my style, but that doesn't make Matias a less skillful player!
Insurrection!

Takatukkajukka

Post by Takatukkajukka » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:06 pm

Burning Reflection wrote:
Takatukkajukka wrote: Matias uses different techniques like sweeping, string skipping, tapping etc, but nowadays is seems that Timo only use that fast alternate picking which he has been using last 10 years.
Ummmm...not true. Have you heard AoA and the RR demos? There are plenty of those techniques on AoA and the demos
I meant that Timo can't use and mix those techniques so versatile than Matias. I have heard AoA and I have to admit that Timo has improved his style and made it more enjoyable to listen. In AoA Timo's solosound is more rough than ever before and in my opinion it suits RR better than Stratovarius.

Since Timo replaced active pickups with passive pickups, step by step his sound has become more rough. I still prefer him to go back to active pickups because the "Timo-sound" to me is the way he used to play in Fourth dimension-Visions era :)

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:01 am

What a really silly topic. Then what? Are we going to compare Jari Kainulainen with Lauri Porra? Tuomo Lassila with Jorg Michael? Antti Ikonen with Jens Johansson? or Timo Tolkki's voice with Timo Kotipelto's? Bullshit!

Every single musician has his own and particular style, you can't just ask "who is better" be specific. Maybe, who is "faster"? Who puts more feeling in the songs? Who has better soloist's songs? Who is your favorite guitarrist? Or something like that could have an answer but "better"? (based on what?) Oh how I hate this threads.

They both are amazing!

I pass, (not voting).

Cheers anyway!! :x

P.S. I hope you to think about what you've done! :x

Eugenia

Post by Eugenia » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:00 am

lalodrums2 wrote:What a really silly topic. Then what? Are we going to compare Jari Kainulainen with Lauri Porra? Tuomo Lassila with Jorg Michael? Antti Ikonen with Jens Johansson? or Timo Tolkki's voice with Timo Kotipelto's? Bullshit!

Every single musician has his own and particular style, you can't just ask "who is better" be specific. Maybe, who is "faster"? Who puts more feeling in the songs? Who has better soloist's songs? Who is your favorite guitarrist? Or something like that could have an answer but "better"? (based on what?) Oh how I hate this threads.

They both are amazing!

I pass, (not voting).

I'm with you. _You said all the things that I wanted to say.
" In My Weakness, Trying to Pretend I'm Strong"

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:04 am

lalodrums2 wrote:Every single musician has his own and particular style, you can't just ask "who is better" be specific. Maybe, who is "faster"? Who puts more feeling in the songs? Who has better soloist's songs? Who is your favorite guitarrist? Or something like that could have an answer but "better"? (based on what?) Oh how I hate this threads.
I think "who is better" is his way of asking "who do you prefer"...no reason to throw a tantrum. :shock:

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:24 am

In my mind they both are excellent,they can´t be compared, that´s why I didn´t vote at all.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:37 pm

Impossible choice.

In terms of technique Matias is better, thats the only thing I can say for sure.

Technique is not the only thing that makes a musician however.

I am not voting.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Timo writes better music, so I choose him. :P

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:02 am

Star_Ocean wrote:Timo writes better music, so I choose him. :P
How can you say that? Matias only composed one song on his own. Don't you think it is a bit unfair?

Eruaistaniel

Post by Eruaistaniel » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:12 am

Well, they have really different ways of playing... and that's quite clear they have different backgrounds (well Timo doubles Matias' age, anyway)as well.

I'd say that Matias has very lovely technique, powerful vibratos (well, mostly absent in TT's playing or so...).

Guitaristically speaking I prefer Matias for many reasons, on the other hand, I love TT's playing too...

Malteada

Post by Malteada » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:19 pm

lalodrums2 wrote:What a really silly topic. Then what? Are we going to compare Jari Kainulainen with Lauri Porra? Tuomo Lassila with Jorg Michael? Antti Ikonen with Jens Johansson? or Timo Tolkki's voice with Timo Kotipelto's? Bullshit!

They both are amazing!

I pass, (not voting).

Así es mi amigo! ;)

I Prefer Tolkki by far...
My grandmother don't let me see Chabelo.

_Pepe_

Post by _Pepe_ » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:23 pm

they can't be compare... tolkki is a excelent composer, Matias is a good composer too, but his best characteristic is his virtuosity and technic.

They both are amazing!

null vote xD

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:27 pm

I agree with many other members here, this poll really is pointless and we should not even try to compare the two until Matias has established himself a lot more.
metal feeds the beast

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:29 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
How can you say that? Matias only composed one song on his own. Don't you think it is a bit unfair?
Not really considering the Matias stuff before Strato, I hated, and I consider Timo's first stuff to be far superior to Matias's first stuff.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:17 am

Star_Ocean wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Not really considering the Matias stuff before Strato, I hated, and I consider Timo's first stuff to be far superior to Matias's first stuff.
What stuff? This stupid Grind/Death/Whatever band and those few youtube videos? Come on! This was the very beginning of Matias carrere! Give him some time.

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:16 am

I prefer Matias actually.I have tried some samples of Fist of Fetus,and found him very technical though he isn't so showing when playing Strato.Anyway most strato's songs are not so closely depending on techniques.
Maybe Tolkki is excellent in terms of songwriting,but in terms of guitar perfomance,I'm still suspicious.Sometimes it's not how long you have played the instrument that decides your performance,some people are able to get status in a short time,and I believe Matias is exactly one of them that is called genius.
It's a far,far better thing that I do than I have ever done;It's a far,far better rest that I go than I have ever known.

JensOfSweden

Post by JensOfSweden » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:28 am

Keyssion wrote:I think that Matias is technically better than Timo. I still mostly like Timo's solos better :) Especially the very emotional ones!
Um Tolkki is very technical though lol

I think TT is better than Matias overall, but he has a more creative style

Noxica

Post by Noxica » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:What stuff? This stupid Grind/Death/Whatever band and those few youtube videos? Come on! This was the very beginning of Matias carrere! Give him some time.
I'd tread very carefully calling Fist In Fetus 'stupid', seeing as it's still very much a current project of his.

I prefer Matias, but I freely admit I'm heavily biased by my long-standing affection for that "stupid Grind/Death/Whatever band", his solo stuff and his charmingly insane partner-in-crime :lol:
Tin coffepots, iron coffeepots
They're no use to me
If I can't have a proper cuppa coffee from a proper copper coffeepot
I'll have a cuppa tea!

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:14 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Star_Ocean wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
What stuff? This stupid Grind/Death/Whatever band and those few youtube videos? Come on! This was the very beginning of Matias carrere! Give him some time.
Yeah, and I found the stuff at the beginning of Timo's career to be far better than the stuff at the beginning of Matias's career, like I said. :P

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Noxica wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:What stuff? This stupid Grind/Death/Whatever band and those few youtube videos? Come on! This was the very beginning of Matias carrere! Give him some time.
I'd tread very carefully calling Fist In Fetus 'stupid', seeing as it's still very much a current project of his.
So why can't I call it stupid? I hate that Grind/Death Metal stuff. For me it is stupid.

AAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAA » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:23 pm

:lol: :drop: How do you rate your ability to detect insincere sarcastic responses?? :roll:

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:19 pm

Timo is my favourite guitarist. My vote is obvious.

But Mathias is rather new in the "industry" compared to Tolkki, so this poll is rather pointless...
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Matias has also worked aw a session musician so if I can find those works that adds to what he has done. That he can work as a session musician says something about him. I just think they are not the same guitarist and both have their strengths and weaknesses. Guitar playing is not some static thing and they can get better or worse at any part of it.

Rebel_93

Post by Rebel_93 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:08 pm

Before Timo Tolkki was the greatest guitarist on earth and a really fat guy.Now he's only a really fat guy.But anyway it's too early to judge Matthias' skills.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Rebel_93 wrote:Before Timo Tolkki was the greatest guitarist on earth and a really fat guy.Now he's only a really fat guy.But anyway it's too early to judge Matthias' skills.
He was quite skinny bakc in the early days.
Then he got a bit chubby and now he is slowly turning better again.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:32 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
Rebel_93 wrote:Before Timo Tolkki was the greatest guitarist on earth and a really fat guy.Now he's only a really fat guy.But anyway it's too early to judge Matthias' skills.
He was quite skinny bakc in the early days.
Then he got a bit chubby and now he is slowly turning better again.
I think the peak of his chubbyness was 2003.

Burn1ng_R@g3

Post by Burn1ng_R@g3 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:39 pm

=