Just Kotipelto !!

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
GuiHunter
Re: Just Kotipelto !!

Post by GuiHunter » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:02 pm

They look awesome in this video... Great voice and skills!!
Tolkki to Kotipelto:
- I talked with GOD and He said that I am the best in this band...
Kotipelto:
- I don't remember I said that...
( Fear No Beer !!! )

GuiHunter

Kotipelto destroys all

Post by GuiHunter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Guys, take a look at this video and tell me that Kotipelto destroys everything with his voice... So fuckin difficult this music, so fuckin talent...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTE3cMt7vok
Tolkki to Kotipelto:
Kotipelto:
( Fear No Beer !!! )

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:17 am

palarmux wrote:I bet! :wink: Have to say, he has best melodic metal voice!
I can't agree with you more!
It's a far,far better thing that I do than I have ever done;It's a far,far better rest that I go than I have ever known.

Luna

Post by Luna » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:32 am

Not only his voice but also the emotion he brought makes him so irreplacable.
It's a far,far better thing that I do than I have ever done;It's a far,far better rest that I go than I have ever known.

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:14 pm

RazielSR wrote:
icecab21 wrote:i think that was was where the electricty went out literly. the two of them are electric though
True. That was a fantastic performance. And you can see Tolkki and Kotipelto as a good friends. And now you see the current situacion...what a pity, seriously.
Well, I don't think they ever were friends. Just good band mates at best. According to both of them, they felt tension between each other.

I never even liked that Hiroshima Find Your Own Voice. I think it's really just overly high-pitched and Kotipelto just can't deliver it the way it should be. A few could though. Just so ridiculously hard song to sing, and that's not even near the quality of the album version. How he did it, though, I can't say. Protools? My friend and I have a theory that Tolkki threatened him with a gun. Or that he squeezed his balls in the hardest parts. Or something as clever anyway.

I'm not even sure which 'his' refers to which Timo in that phrase "Or that he squeezed his balls - -" and I don't think it really matters at this point anymore.
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Intiaani wrote:
RazielSR wrote:
icecab21 wrote:i think that was was where the electricty went out literly. the two of them are electric though
True. That was a fantastic performance. And you can see Tolkki and Kotipelto as a good friends. And now you see the current situacion...what a pity, seriously.
Well, I don't think they ever were friends. Just good band mates at best. According to both of them, they felt tension between each other.
Hasn't Tolkki said just that in an interview a few months back? I remember him saying something like that.

GuiHunter

Post by GuiHunter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:32 pm

Tolkki has bipolar disturb
Tolkki to Kotipelto:
Kotipelto:
( Fear No Beer !!! )

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:34 pm

FindYourOwnVoice

Re: Kotipelto destroys all

Post by FindYourOwnVoice » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:58 pm

GuiHunter wrote:Guys, take a look at this video and tell me that Kotipelto destroys everything with his voice... So fuckin difficult this music, so fuckin talent...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTE3cMt7vok
Pure magic and skill. What can i say more... Makes you shiver on how good Kotipelto delivers here!

Good to see Tolkki smiling and nodding at him in content while the storm (that this song is) too :)

GuiHunter

Post by GuiHunter » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:43 am

But hope to see next sunday the magic behind stratovarius with Kotipelto... I don't mind if Tolkki will not there...
Tolkki to Kotipelto:
Kotipelto:
( Fear No Beer !!! )

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:26 pm

GuiHunter wrote:But hope to see next sunday the magic behind stratovarius with Kotipelto... I don't mind if Tolkki will not there...
Guaranteed. I will once again see it next month, for the third time this year. :)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:58 am

I have to agree that Kotipelto is a great singer, he's one of my many influences
metal feeds the beast

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:59 am

Ragehead91 wrote: Hasn't Tolkki said just that in an interview a few months back? I remember him saying something like that.
I don't remember. I thought it was common "knowledge". I think they've both stated they never liked each other that much and it's not a secret.
hiro23 wrote:I have to agree that Kotipelto is a great singer, he's one of my many influences
Yes. And ex-Anthrax's Joey Belladonna is one of Timo's. I never knew this, and now I can't remember where I heard it. This isn't the first time something like this happens to me. :oops:

I always thought his Waiting for the Dawn solo album song Travel Through Time had a Belladonnish high scream in the end. :) Otherwise this really doesn't show up, or...?

Btw, Anthrax have no singer at the moment! :O We want Joey back! :D

Anyway, listening to Elements, Pt. 1 in awe of his vocal work, like always. And the huge talent for musicianship in the band anyway. :shock:

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Luna wrote:Not only his voice but also the emotion he brought makes him so irreplacable.
Yeah, I love the way he sings too :)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:01 am

I didn't know that Belladonna was an influence for him although it does make sense, No offense to the other kings of thrash metal but I always thought Belladonna was the only singer in the big four that could sing
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:56 am

hiro23 wrote:I didn't know that Belladonna was an influence for him although it does make sense, No offense to the other kings of thrash metal but I always thought Belladonna was the only singer in the big four that could sing
Tom Araya was the prototype of all Death Metal singers and Dave Mustain (althought I like his voice smoehow) sounds like JJ said like a "angry smurf" but I always thought James Heitfeld was decent from Master of the Puppets onwards.

Intiaani

Post by Intiaani » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:41 pm

What does Belladonna have to do with death metal?

Anyway,
hiro23 wrote:No offense to the other kings of thrash metal but I always thought Belladonna was the only singer in the big four that could sing
I kinda think so too. Hetfield's style is very unique, but he ain't the best singer anyway. His strenghts are the angriness, like in Master of Puppets for example, and his over-the-top suffixes(?) ("WHISKY INN THE JARROOOUUWWAH~!") :D where Belladonna had a high and rough and great voice for real. ^_^

Timo is just cleaner. Some single pitches from him are towards Belladonna (like the ending one, IIRC, in Travel Through Time), but normally this doesn't show up that much, or what do you think?

I think I remember he mentioned it when he was a guest DJ in the Finnish Radio Rock show... It would be nice to know some of his other idols, too. Basics Halfords and Tates are my 50 cents.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Intiaani wrote:What does Belladonna have to do with death metal?
Read. I was talking about Tom Araya, the Slayer frontman, not Belladonna.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:42 pm

It's interesting cause Belladonna claims Bruce Dickinson as one of his influences.
metal feeds the beast

GuiHunter

Post by GuiHunter » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:09 pm

Bruce is always a influence to everyone who sings
Tolkki to Kotipelto:
Kotipelto:
( Fear No Beer !!! )

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:54 am

GuiHunter wrote:Bruce is always a influence to everyone who sings
Nah.
My influences are Andi Deris, Ozzy, Frank Zappa, Hansi (Although I can't do any of his higher stuff), and Alice Cooper. Mostly Cooper and Deris.
I have a really deep range, so singers like Kotipelto and Dickinson don't do anything for me.

César Maciel

Post by César Maciel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:07 am

Keyssion wrote: I think the best Paradise I've heard is where there supposedly was no electricity. I don't remember the year, venue, country, anything, but I saw it via this forum on YouTube. That was some strong and secure singing. :o
I think it happened in São Paulo, in March 1999. There was a nationwide blackout in Brazil exactly in the night when Stratovarius was supposed to play, and instead of calling off the show they just improvised an acoustic set. By doing so they showed an incredible respect to the fans, and the video also demonstrates very clearly how powerful Kotipelto's voice really is.
Find your own voice - Make your own paradise

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:25 am

My influences are Andi Deris, Ozzy, Frank Zappa, Hansi (Although I can't do any of his higher stuff), and Alice Cooper. Mostly Cooper and Deris.
I have a really deep range, so singers like Kotipelto and Dickinson don't do anything for me.
What is deep about the voice of any of those?

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:51 am

icecab21 wrote:
What is deep about the voice of any of those?
Zappa did a few deep vocals, but mostly, they're lower/mid range singers (Which is my upper range), and have rougher sounding voices.
Cooper did a lot of deeper rougher vocals.

Metal, admittedly, aside from death metal, doesn't lend itself to overly deep vocals, but Helloween does occasional backing vocals that are deeper, like the vocals before the solo in The Dark Ride, and the intro of The King for 1000 Years.

GuiHunter

Post by GuiHunter » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:17 am

Andi Deris is Bruce Dickinson fan...... Give me a break man
Tolkki to Kotipelto:
Kotipelto:
( Fear No Beer !!! )

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:34 am

there are a lot of metal genres with low vocals. gothic, industrial, doom, power, heavy, folk, thrash. well, pretty much any genre has its share of bass and barotone vocalists.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:44 am

icecab21 wrote:there are a lot of metal genres with low vocals. gothic, industrial, doom, power, heavy, folk, thrash. well, pretty much any genre has its share of bass vocalists.
Yeah, I've noticed.
Although my plans are pretty much to primarily play bass or guitar, and kind of act as an auxillary vocalist for songs that require a deeper vocal, but get a singer that can go higher, give the songs a more dynamic range and a more typical singer to fall back on.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:50 am

Always a good thing for a band to have singers that can fill out different sides of the vocal range. Just don't get a girl to do lower vocals than you, on second thought, that would be awesome, perhaps something for another band though.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:00 am

icecab21 wrote:Always a good thing for a band to have singers that can fill out different sides of the vocal range. Just don't get a girl to do lower vocals than you, on second thought, that would be awesome, perhaps something for another band though.
Despite a desire to do more Power Metal stuff, my writing tends to side much more with Doom Metal. It's possible to draw a bridge between the two, and some of my songs kind of sway back and forth between slower doom metal and quicker speed/power metal, but it definitely lends itself to a range of vocal possibilities
(Except that I cannot write lyrics to save my fucking life)

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:35 am

Except that I cannot write lyrics to save my fucking life
that will be good for doom metal