What do you expect for the next album?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
Rebel
Re: What do you expect for the next album?

Post by Rebel » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:54 am

En extremt tråkig person wrote:
doc_holliday wrote: would you guys have examples of what you mean by heavy?
Manowar. Everyone else are posers.
If by heavy, you mean humorous, then yes.

I would call Episode and Infinite "Heavy" albums, for sure.
From Polaris, Blind and Forever is Today are the "heavy" songs

Some other examples of Heavy Power Metal would be mid 90s Blind guardian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Cxyd3VxbQ
Gamma Ray
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3ttBH_8r4
The Occasional Sonata Arctica song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h0C__ztQ78
And newer Angra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqNEXzPMOf8

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:54 am

I agree, they could release some "heavy" song. Something like Eternity, Dreamweaver, etc, etc. That kind of songs. That's Stratovarius and it's heavier.

What I want is variation, and I think that now we are gonna have a lot of variation with Jens, Lauri and Matias composing. And please...do not delay the album!! :) . I can see a November-December release.

Maybe they are working now in the album? Let's see if Jens or some other usual poster here like Lauri or Matias, tell us something soon. TK have some acoustic gigs with Liimatainen this month.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:10 am

:( I have heard that Tolkki can't be free from his cheesemaking before June. They have the summercheesecollection to take care of. Very hectic times in the cheesebranche now, hu!

Edit. :roll:
Sorry this post should have been placed under someother rubric. And I have maybe overflowed my posts today, so I will take a rest now.

En extremt tråkig pe

Post by En extremt tråkig pe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Rebel wrote:
En extremt tråkig person wrote:
doc_holliday wrote: would you guys have examples of what you mean by heavy?
Manowar. Everyone else are posers.
If by heavy, you mean humorous, then yes.
If you're not into metal
You are not my friend
Innebandy är en fånig sport

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:32 pm

RazielSR wrote:I agree, they could release some "heavy" song. Something like Eternity, Dreamweaver, etc, etc. That kind of songs. That's Stratovarius and it's heavier.

What I want is variation, and I think that now we are gonna have a lot of variation with Jens, Lauri and Matias composing. And please...do not delay the album!! :) . I can see a November-December release.

Maybe they are working now in the album? Let's see if Jens or some other usual poster here like Lauri or Matias, tell us something soon. TK have some acoustic gigs with Liimatainen this month.
You explained yourself very well RazielSR. Although not exactly that kind of examples with Strato, but you understood my point.
Also, no more delays with the upcoming album please :D
|StratoFan Forever|

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Tue May 11, 2010 8:33 pm

I would like to hear a little more guitar and a little less keyboard. (and I'm a keyboarder myself:P)
Also I didn't really like some of the lyrics.

Really looking forward to the coming album. :)

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed May 12, 2010 6:57 am

Quite frankly, I thought that the biggest problem with Polaris was that the closest thing we heard to Jens Lead tone was on King of Nothing, and I'm not even sure the tone he used in that does his talents true justice. I'm thinking more shredding, more shredding, and more riffing. Maybe some orchestration, choirs, and a song that layers Timo's voice along with said choirs? I mean come on, why hold back?

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:33 pm

Rebel wrote:Quite frankly, I thought that the biggest problem with Polaris was that the closest thing we heard to Jens Lead tone was on King of Nothing, and I'm not even sure the tone he used in that does his talents true justice. I'm thinking more shredding, more shredding, and more riffing. Maybe some orchestration, choirs, and a song that layers Timo's voice along with said choirs? I mean come on, why hold back?
We have already discussed this topic about Koti's voice so many times that now it's no use to start it again. And about Jens' keyboard skills, the way he did in Polaris was something new to many of us, and I personally found it cool to experiment another kind of sound. So what I understand is that you want him to play fast shreds the way he did in, for example, the Elements saga? I think it's not reasonable for a band to make a record with the same sound they have already did some albums ago.
But one thing is for sure; one fast song with a long duet between Matias and Jens, both showing their guitar and keyboard skills, wouldn't hurt that much :D
|StratoFan Forever|

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed May 12, 2010 6:07 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
Rebel wrote:Quite frankly, I thought that the biggest problem with Polaris was that the closest thing we heard to Jens Lead tone was on King of Nothing, and I'm not even sure the tone he used in that does his talents true justice. I'm thinking more shredding, more shredding, and more riffing. Maybe some orchestration, choirs, and a song that layers Timo's voice along with said choirs? I mean come on, why hold back?
We have already discussed this topic about Koti's voice so many times that now it's no use to start it again. And about Jens' keyboard skills, the way he did in Polaris was something new to many of us, and I personally found it cool to experiment another kind of sound. So what I understand is that you want him to play fast shreds the way he did in, for example, the Elements saga? I think it's not reasonable for a band to make a record with the same sound they have already did some albums ago.
But one thing is for sure; one fast song with a long duet between Matias and Jens, both showing their guitar and keyboard skills, wouldn't hurt that much :D
I believe I mentioned nothing of Timo's vocal range/ high notes/ whatever people bitch about on this forum about him all the time. I just want some epic layering. More shredding is a must, as it was sorely lacking from Polaris, and I don't really think we've had a Stratovarius album with consistently good guitar riffs since Episode. If Stratovarius wants to replenish its fanbase, then taking a few cues from Episode wouldn't hurt, and to me, the single biggest "sound" of Stratovarius, the defining uniqueness, and single most awesome factor of the band is the over-exxagerated, squealing Jens Keyboard Solo tone.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Wed May 12, 2010 6:32 pm

Yes, I would also love to hear some Episode influences again. A mix between Episode/Infinite/New stuff would be a dream come true. :)

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Wed May 12, 2010 7:41 pm

Rebel wrote:I just want some epic layering.
Heck no! Kotipelto is so good interpreting whatever he sings, I would never want to hide his weaknesses (Are there? Not that I know of. Not being able to sing some sickly high notes like on Father Time chorus is hardly a weakness... There's so much more in his interpretation than that.) with some fancy Blind Guardian-like layering.
Rebel wrote:If Stratovarius wants to replenish its fanbase, then taking a few cues from Episode wouldn't hurt, and to me, the single biggest "sound" of Stratovarius, the defining uniqueness, and single most awesome factor of the band is the over-exxagerated, squealing Jens Keyboard Solo tone.
With this I agree. Some more attitude, rocking Stratovarius wouldn't hurt. If there's anything wrong with the band since, say, Visions, is the certain cleaniness and "civilized metal"-ish approach. :D Some more anticipate roughness here and there wouldn't hurt. :) Also, the sound... We have a big agreement on this. I think it's also the Finnvox studios and Mikko Karmila. He must have some basic Stratovarius settings in his head and/or comps. :D I always thought the Stratovariusness came from Tolkki's pen, but Polaris proved me wrong!
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:05 pm

layering does not hide anything. its for artistic reasons of the vision of the band members if they do it. layering as a harmony aspect is great for me. i like it if a voice can be recorded to make it polyphonic

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Thu May 13, 2010 6:40 am

I envision a song on the next album starting with the most extreme Jens Lead known to man, something he'd usually only break out live, with some sort of extreme harmonic or squealing tone. Slow intro, that slowly builds into a fast solo, at the peak of the solo, Jorg and Lauri come in, blasting away the power metal beats like none before, then the Jens solo bonanza gives way to a similar Matias solo, but more shredding, extreme sweeps and arpeggios, and then swing right into a heavy riff and the first verse. Use it as the album opener as way to announce the presence and power, and to say "We're back to reclaim our throne, thank you very much"

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu May 13, 2010 7:23 am

I just want the A-family to be in the special thanks section :lol: :rvd:

AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAAAAA » Thu May 13, 2010 8:11 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:I just want the A-family to be in the special thanks section :lol: :rvd:
:twisted: This would be agreeable.

palarmux

Post by palarmux » Thu May 13, 2010 10:17 am

That would be fun! :D

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu May 13, 2010 10:19 am

:lol: Yes something like: "special thAAAAAAAAAAnk's to the A Family, the Simpson and Donald Duck for the forumite compositions...! "
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed May 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Rebel wrote:I believe I mentioned nothing of Timo's vocal range/ high notes/ whatever people bitch about on this forum about him all the time. I just want some epic layering. More shredding is a must, as it was sorely lacking from Polaris, and I don't really think we've had a Stratovarius album with consistently good guitar riffs since Episode. If Stratovarius wants to replenish its fanbase, then taking a few cues from Episode wouldn't hurt, and to me, the single biggest "sound" of Stratovarius, the defining uniqueness, and single most awesome factor of the band is the over-exxagerated, squealing Jens Keyboard Solo tone.
That's your point according to your favourite album and to what you consider is "the best" they have done that attracted that huge amount of fans...Or at least so I understand. Then I shall disagree: I'm not denying that Stratovarius has found his sound back at the period of "Episode", but many others fans, like me, thinks that their real sound is the one they had at "Infinite"; others may say that but with "Visions", others with "Destiny", and even others would say that the self-titled was their biggest masterpiece so far (still respect their opinions).
In that case, we'll never be at the same frequency if we keep talking about which sound they should imitate; in fact I consider those changes between albums really good for the fan: They try to make different sounds to re-new the list of fans they have, and not turn into a repetitive band. With this in mind I'm saying "let them do the next record the way they feel comfortable with" :)
|StratoFan Forever|

Texidor

Post by Texidor » Mon May 24, 2010 8:49 pm

I think there is a little bit about what everyone is saying that I can agree. For sure I was pleased with Polaris and their live perfomance was as always amazing! My only down part with Polaris was they tried to play it as safe as possible. And being the situation as it was I dont think I can blame them. To me Strato embodied the spirit of a roller coaster ride. Each new album was bigger better and faster. I think this apexed with Infinte... I mean 10 years later and Millenium ( in my opinion the one of the forgotten Strato gems) and Phoenix are still my all time fave songs period! I think they need to grow and expand on Polaris and bring back some of fist pumping power. That sounds a little selfish on my part but I would love to have Stratovarius release an album that made my heart race and headbag like Infinite did!
SHINE ON!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Texidor wrote:I think there is a little bit about what everyone is saying that I can agree. For sure I was pleased with Polaris and their live perfomance was as always amazing! My only down part with Polaris was they tried to play it as safe as possible. And being the situation as it was I dont think I can blame them. To me Strato embodied the spirit of a roller coaster ride. Each new album was bigger better and faster. I think this apexed with Infinte... I mean 10 years later and Millenium ( in my opinion the one of the forgotten Strato gems) and Phoenix are still my all time fave songs period! I think they need to grow and expand on Polaris and bring back some of fist pumping power. That sounds a little selfish on my part but I would love to have Stratovarius release an album that made my heart race and headbag like Infinite did!
With that in mind, I can only agree with one thing: They for sure should release a fast and epic album sometime, just like they did with Infinite (don't blame me, I think it was their greatest masterpiece ever); I'm just saying that we should let them "experiment" with a new sound and see how that goes :)
|StratoFan Forever|

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:21 pm

I wonder a song written by Jörgi :)

I have no wishes, after Polaris I just trust you. No Episode, No Visions, Elements or Polaris. Just a new album!