Koti`s voice?

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
alpha&omega
Koti`s voice?

Post by alpha&omega » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:59 pm

Im very big fan of strato and Kotipelto but Im just wondering what have happened Koti`s (always so perfect) high vocals? I have listened many video and audio clips from this polaris tour and kotis voice isnt so good.
Especially destiny is quite awful but other songs too.. :(
What have really happened? Comparing 2005-2006 live difference is quite big. His voice is like a tired? Im sad :cry:
Strato is Dead! Long live Strato

Plisken

Re: Koti`s voice?

Post by Plisken » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:02 am

ah I thought the samething but when I saw strato at the Los Angeles show TK was amazing! He had no problems at all and his voice sounded great!

In those videos his vocal chords probably were very tired from all the previous shows.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:33 am

But I haven't seen ANY video from the Polaris Tour where he sounds good... Are there any video's on YouTube fron the LA show?

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:53 am

He sounded great when I saw him. Then again, I saw him in the bathroom. :crazy1:

StratoFabio

Post by StratoFabio » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:56 am

I think has got efforts just with Destiny and Forever is Today... I hope it is just a (short) bad time
StratoFabio

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:11 am

rikkertje wrote:But I haven't seen ANY video from the Polaris Tour where he sounds good... Are there any video's on YouTube fron the LA show?
I dont know if there are any on youtube but there are a few video I took of the show but havent had the chance to post them up yet.

SinisterStar

Post by SinisterStar » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:02 am

its called getting old. He wasnt terrible when i saw them last year but certainly wasnt amazing

StratoFabio

Post by StratoFabio » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:04 am

SinisterStar wrote:its called getting old.
well...he's just 40...
StratoFabio

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:34 am

Let's see, his voice seems a bit tired in the shows.
He have some problems on some songs. Well, not "problems", is just that he can't reach certain notes. In Madrid he was really ok and in some songs he was amazing and in other ones you felt that he missed some notes.

Old? Cmon...40 years. That's not old.

Anyway, he always used to sing a lot of high notes and maybe his voice is a bit tired and he should improve the way he sings to take care of his voice.

I see a change from 2006 to now. The first time I can see TK with really weak voice, was in the Wacken 07. I know the band was terrible in that performance, but TK was really weak.

It has been a lot of years "forcing" his voice. And it happens the same with all the singers with that capability to reach high notes, someday they just lose it and they change the songs in the next albums.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 pm

I was 3 times at this tour, and he sings better and better. Last gig (2 weeks ago) some songs we sang almost perfect (Paradise, Forever is Today, SOS) and in some he had some problems(Deep Unknown), but comparing ie Will the sun Rise from year ago and now i say that he made a progress.
I also think that YT films from gig make vocals (not only TK) uglier than live. The same with Kai, Deris, etc.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:18 pm

pneumonia wrote:I was 3 times at this tour, and he sings better and better. Last gig (2 weeks ago) some songs we sang almost perfect (Paradise, Forever is Today, SOS) and in some he had some problems(Deep Unknown), but comparing ie Will the sun Rise from year ago and now i say that he made a progress.
I also think that YT films from gig make vocals (not only TK) uglier than live. The same with Kai, Deris, etc.
Nice to hear that. I think he is improving too.
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:07 pm

pneumonia wrote:I was 3 times at this tour, and he sings better and better. Last gig (2 weeks ago) some songs we sang almost perfect (Paradise, Forever is Today, SOS) and in some he had some problems(Deep Unknown), but comparing ie Will the sun Rise from year ago and now i say that he made a progress.
As much as I would like to believe that he sings Forever is Today perfect. I know it's just not possible. The chorus is just too high for him. I don't know how he did it on the album but I guess he will never be able to perform it like that...

StratoFabio

Post by StratoFabio » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:39 pm

rikkertje wrote: As much as I would like to believe that he sings Forever is Today perfect. I know it's just not possible. The chorus is just too high for him. I don't know how he did it on the album but I guess he will never be able to perform it like that...
he perfectly singed Find Your Own Voice (that's higher) so why couldn't he sing Forever Is Today?
StratoFabio

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:24 pm

For me his voice still is very good, I went to their show last year & was great!
I really don't understand why some people are always complaining about his voice!? :roll:

BTW: Would be annoying if he sang only in high notes, for example in Find your own voice is very sharp I don't like it!

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:48 pm

StratoFabio wrote:
rikkertje wrote: As much as I would like to believe that he sings Forever is Today perfect. I know it's just not possible. The chorus is just too high for him. I don't know how he did it on the album but I guess he will never be able to perform it like that...
he perfectly singed Find Your Own Voice (that's higher) so why couldn't he sing Forever Is Today?
FYOV is just as high as FiT. It's not higher. :) And he sang FYOV 7 years ago. His voice was much more relaxed back then. I doubt he van still sing FYOV these days. :)

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:37 pm

Polaris wrote:For me his voice still is very good, I went to their show last year & was great!
I really don't understand why some people are always complaining about his voice!? :roll:
/quote]

We don't complain. We love Kotipelto's voice and we want his voice the best possible.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:27 pm

I prefer the way he sounds on Cain's offerig than on Polaris.

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:58 am

When I saw them live he didn't have any problems with his voice. He is still fucking great! It's just that audio records from live shows are never the same quality as actually listening to them live.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:21 am

Beast_Pete wrote:When I saw them live he didn't have any problems with his voice. He is still fucking great! It's just that audio records from live shows are never the same quality as actually listening to them live.
Exactly, besides it is impossible for a singer to sound exactly like they did 10-15 years ago, it just comes with age :wink:

Star_Ocean

Post by Star_Ocean » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:33 am

I rarely ever hear a power metal singer perfect live.

In fact, the only one I can think of that is close to perfection live is Fabio Lione, who is around Kotipelto's ago (a couple years younger I believe) and is still amazing.

But Kotipelto has never been perfect. I recall an Anthem of the World performance from the 90s that was beyond atrocious.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 am

Star_Ocean wrote:I rarely ever hear a power metal singer perfect live.

In fact, the only one I can think of that is close to perfection live is Fabio Lione, who is around Kotipelto's ago (a couple years younger I believe) and is still amazing.

But Kotipelto has never been perfect. I recall an Anthem of the World performance from the 90s that was beyond atrocious.
Hansi Kursch can do it

Aldaron

Post by Aldaron » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:25 pm

Star_Ocean wrote:I rarely ever hear a power metal singer perfect live.

Dio

I've seen him four times and he was dead on for each.
Tobias Sammet has been damn near perfect every time I've seen him as well.
No diss to Koti, but I've seen him on and off at a number of performances. He seems to suffer a little more than usual from tour illness and the like, but the last two times I saw him on this most recent US tour he was excellent and hit almost every note no problem. I think he struggles with taking care of his voice while traveling.
Let's Rage!

UnaInZodiac

Post by UnaInZodiac » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:34 pm

For my ears TK's voice is always a delight. I heard the band four times last year. For me it is a mystery, how these vocalists are able to perform night after night anyway. See the schedule and the amount of gigs per month. An external instrument is so much easier to tune... For the ultimate hearing experiences we have the CD's, don't we!

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:06 pm

I was a bit concerned because I thought his voice wasn't great in Polaris, but Gather The Faithful blew me away and now those worries are a thing of the past. His voice is better than ever in that album.

I don't know what to say about his live performances, though. I've seen him live twice, and both times I noticed he couldn't hit the higher notes. In fact, last time I was able to notice he was kind of struggling to sing at higher pitches. This didn't affect the overall band performance, though.

This is the second thread about this topic. I don't know, perhaps if Koti doesn't feel confortable singing at high pitches anymore, maybe he shouldn't try to do it? I'm afraid that trying to reach those notes might make things even worse for his "studio voice" in the long term. :(

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:56 am

Well, I do belive Kotipelto used to sing better, but I think from that to say that he can't sing good no more, that's too much.
But why to write it down when you can listen it yourselves:

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-ZjF6M52sU&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-ZjF6M52sU&hl ... 2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

I think that is actually a perfect one by 98%
No need to feel so afraid, colors last a lifetime and fade to gray...
Tony Kakko

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:10 am

A really really very good performance!!!

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:47 am

if Koti doesn't feel confortable singing at high pitches anymore
I wouldn't say so.
He has said he has never changed his singing style and is singing just as he has always used to sing.

stratowerner

Post by stratowerner » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:02 pm

What a useless topic,If you want a perfect performance stay home on your chair and play your fav strato songs on the stereo player.
Timo is a human just like the rest of us,with good and perfect moments.
Timo looks good,sings good,is in a great shape and No he isn't perfect like the most people on this planet.

Stratowarius

Post by Stratowarius » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:17 pm

stratowerner wrote:What a useless topic,If you want a perfect performance stay home on your chair and play your fav strato songs on the stereo player.
Timo looks good,sings good,is in a great shape and No he isn't perfect like the most people on this planet.
:) At last a sensible post in this subject. :)

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:15 am

HinatAArcticA: 98%? Really?
stratowerner wrote:What a useless topic,If you want a perfect performance stay home on your chair and play your fav strato songs on the stereo player.
You don't need to go all defensive like that. We all love Stratovarius and we all consider Kotipelto one of the most beautiful power metal voices ever. That doesn't change the fact that a considerable chunk of the community is concerned about his voice.

First, allow me to make it clear that I do respect Kotipelto as the very compentent singer he is. But plain and simple, in all recent (2004-2009) live performances I've seen (in videos and in person), Kotipelto couldn't reach the higher notes consistently. What I wanted to know is:

- Has he always struggled to reach those notes?
- If not, is this a permanent issue?

That's all, really. Enough with the usual "if you want him to sound great, listen to the albums" fanboy crap. A lot of people are quick to say that he has ups and downs, yet all videos out there tell a different story (are there no ups?).