A question for Jens

Here you can talk about Stratovarius and related bands. Language used is English.
The Buttmonkey
A question for Jens

Post by The Buttmonkey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi everyone! This is my very first post. Let me just say how much of an effect Stratovarius has had on me in the past year of my life (I only recently discovered them).

Now, down to buisness. As far as I know only Jens can aswer my question.

What is the religion of all the different members of Stratovarius? Are they mostly christian? Athiest? I'm just curious.

Also, I hate to bring up you-know-who, Jens, but I wonder the same thing about Yngwie Malmsteen. I've always figured he was catholic, but only you would know.

If you actually answer (or anyone else knows) I'll be very happy and play Visions (Southern Cross)solo.

Auf mienersehen.
Stratovarius, duh.

Burning Reflection

Re: A question for Jens

Post by Burning Reflection » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Hi there! Awesome that you're inquiring into the depths of stratovarius' music! Timo Tolkki was the one who wrote most of the lyrics to the songs so these are his beliefs and possibly the other band members too. It would be too easy to categorize Strato as "religious". It may have some religious messages, but it's essence to me is a combination of religion, metaphysics, ethics, introspection, overcoming adversity, environmental awareness, psychology, philosophy, and self-empowerment. It's a complex unification of these things into what I would describe as the "spiritual path"; it's a road that encompasses all views and is a never ending search for truth and meaning. Granted my words will never suffice the whole depth and totality behind the spiritual path, but hopefully that gives you a glimpse into where some of these ideas may have originated from :)

The Buttmonkey

Post by The Buttmonkey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Burning Reflection wrote:Hi there! Awesome that you're inquiring into the depths of stratovarius' music! Timo Tolkki was the one who wrote most of the lyrics to the songs so these are his beliefs and possibly the other band members too. It would be too easy to categorize Strato as "religious". It may have some religious messages, but it's essence to me is a combination of religion, metaphysics, ethics, introspection, overcoming adversity, environmental awareness, psychology, philosophy, and self-empowerment. It's a complex unification of these things into what I would describe as the "spiritual path"; it's a road that encompasses all views and is a never ending search for truth and meaning. Granted my words will never suffice the whole depth and totality behind the spiritual path, but hopefully that gives you a glimpse into where some of these ideas may have originated from :)

I understand what you're saying and that's kind of what I'm asking, but I'm thinking more like the song "Fantasia" from Elements Pt. 1. The lyrics "Imagine a world with no religion". I'm all like "Is it metaspiritual mumbo-jumbo made to sound interesting or is it Tolkki's actual thoughts?" See what I'm saying?
Stratovarius, duh.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:03 am

From my understanding, none of the members of the band really associate with conventional, mainstream religion.
Now, I may be wrong about Lauri and Matias. I know that Tolkki had some weird beliefs, he seems to believe in a very vague higher power along the lines of mother nature, (he also assigns it a female pronoun) and does not believe this deity seeks worship, only "Peace Love and Understanding".
Kotipelto and Jens appear to be Atheistic or Agnostic. I might guess Jorg is as well.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:07 am

My question: Who gives a shit?

The Buttmonkey

Post by The Buttmonkey » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:17 am

Ragehead91 wrote:My question: Who gives a shit?
My answer: Me and my friend.

:wink: :lol: :wink:
Stratovarius, duh.

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:29 am

+ 7

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:27 am

Sorry dudes! They're all Jewish.

Plisken

Post by Plisken » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:59 am

The Buttmonkey wrote:Hi everyone! This is my very first post. Let me just say how much of an effect Stratovarius has had on me in the past year of my life (I only recently discovered them).

What is the religion of all the different members of Stratovarius? Are they mostly christian? Athiest? I'm just curious.

Also, I hate to bring up you-know-who, Jens, but I wonder the same thing about Yngwie Malmsteen. I've always figured he was catholic, but only you would know.

If you actually answer (or anyone else knows) I'll be very happy and play Visions (Southern Cross)solo.

Auf mienersehen.

This is probably what your looking for (from Jens' website)

http://www.panix.com/~jens/philosophy.par

Its pretty long but very interesting!

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:41 am

The Buttmonkey wrote:Hi everyone! This is my very first post. Let me just say how much of an effect Stratovarius has had on me in the past year of my life (I only recently discovered them).

Auf mienersehen.
I might also say that actual religion has a very small part in peoples lives up here in the north.
We are the least religious people in the world and that is mostly because up in here you can believe in anything and you don't have to prove it to anyone. People aren't publically religious. They believe if tehy believe. Most of us are Lutheran which I think is the most beliveable direction of Christianity even if I myself am leaning towards being agnostic.

So I would think TK and maybe Lauri could be part of the Lutheran Church (at the least the chances are that they are) but you can't see that giving any influences or impact of anykind in their lives or thoughts.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm

so everyone but jens gives a answer

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Or maybe the guys in the band would rather just keep such matters private.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:21 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:

Auf mienersehen.
I might also say that actual religion has a very small part in peoples lives up here in the north.
We are the least religious people in the world and that is mostly because up in here you can believe in anything and you don't have to prove it to anyone. People aren't publically religious. They believe if tehy believe. Most of us are Lutheran which I think is the most beliveable direction of Christianity even if I myself am leaning towards being agnostic.

So I would think TK and maybe Lauri could be part of the Lutheran Church (at the least the chances are that they are) but you can't see that giving any influences or impact of anykind in their lives or thoughts.
I take it the anglican/episcopalian church doesn't have much sway there. It's kind of a mix of lutheran and catholicism. Except it's even more "Open" than Lutheran, but the traditions are structured after the catholic church.

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:48 pm

The Buttmonkey wrote:
I understand what you're saying and that's kind of what I'm asking, but I'm thinking more like the song "Fantasia" from Elements Pt. 1. The lyrics "Imagine a world with no religion". I'm all like "Is it metaspiritual mumbo-jumbo made to sound interesting or is it Tolkki's actual thoughts?" See what I'm saying?
No, not mumbo-jumbo. These are real life changing and future altering beliefs. In a technical sense you might want to take a look at the lines after, "no religion, no God"...."Just Your Own Truth". No matter what religion anyone believes in, the core of the matter is that people want security in an uncertain world, and these religions offer people a sense of reference in life and an object of devotion. There is something undeniable out there: that of which we feel and when it comes down to it, truly religious people will know at the heart of the matter that they want to unleash the highest human capacities, live Godly ideals, feel secure, and discover universal truths about life and the world.

The first lines of the song give an image of our own personal kingdom that resides inside. Once we find that key, through courageous and arduous introspection, we can enter the kingdom we've created for ourselves. We would be metaphorically like that of angels and heroes where we can create a positive history that generally repeats itself and will never end. In a metaphysical sense, each generation lives to complete the incompleteness of the last that's what I think TT meant by "We've been expecting you". Instead of seeking security and answers through external sources, he is suggesting that we have the ability to find these truths for ourselves if we look deep within. We may be currently in a state of confusion and turmoil, but man does have inherent capacities to learn ways of love, truth and reason if they combat the inertia of laziness. "Once the power of love over comes the love of power, the world will know peace" - I believe a part of this quote was used in the song. Fantasia resides deep in our hearts if we learn how to feel what we have always desired: security, understanding and need to be loved. This is a self-empowering message to not follow anybody to find your own truth, and to become the kings of our lives that we were meant to be

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Totally agree with you :D. But seriously; like many other have said, I think they should prefer to keep their believes in private. It's about everyone's choice of what do they believe; and honestly I don't see Jens coming here to talk about this. Sorry to let you down :?
|StratoFan Forever|

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:56 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Or maybe the guys in the band would rather just keep such matters private.

Nothing wrong with discussing religion or one's own beliefs, but, OTOH, its nobody else's business, either! Besides, does knowing a band members religion have anything to do with enjoying their music? I don't think so! :)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:28 pm

Image (Sorry for "borrowing" it :D)
|StratoFan Forever|

doc_holliday

Post by doc_holliday » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:18 pm

i do. it's a question like any other question. the guy's curious about it. why shouldn't he ask? If jens and friends don't wanna answer, so be it, they just have to say so.

Mehida

Post by Mehida » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:21 am

Don't need to be a "Jens Johansson" to avoid talking about personal stuff.
WTF, is not an inquisition, just a common question as result of curiosity, they are welcome to answer or not.