Your Electional Voting System

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
MAJINDIEGO
Your Electional Voting System

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:13 pm

Hello folks, i had this work in my university where i had to talk, for 1:30 hours about any subject related to international law and rights, so i decided, as i already had the curiosity to, study the US election system, specially to President.
Some people criticize it, and yes, there are some things that can be improved, but as a whole, i find it quite accurate. For instance, the Electors.

What about your Country? is it simple or complex? Do you agree with it?
:P
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

Shurik

Re: Your Electional Voting System

Post by Shurik » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:17 pm

Here in Israel we are voting for the parties and head of winning party has to assemble a government. Head of winning party becomes a prime minister ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:22 am

hey cool, you studied the us electoral system. that's awesome, not many people care about that sort of thing. i find that exceedingly wonderful.

i find our system of government QUITE over-beaurocratic. the elections themselves i feel aren't too bad, but within one's presidency it seems like there are so many things that one can manipulate, so many loopholes to disappear into.....that it seems more like an oligarchy than a democracy.

i have always honestly felt that the outcome of an election doesn't really matter in the long run, because the few that are in charge are going to do what they will regardless.
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:14 pm

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:i find our system of government QUITE over-beaurocratic. the elections themselves i feel aren't too bad, but within one's presidency it seems like there are so many things that one can manipulate, so many loopholes to disappear into.....that it seems more like an oligarchy than a democracy.
do you mean the bipolar party contest?
yep, i feel it is a shame that us elections are run, in fact, by two parties only, as the small ones don´t have enough power/money/etc..., partialy because of this burocratic system you said.

It is not nice for democracy that only two kinds of people, with the same ideas over the centuries, still share the top. That´s gotta be some fresh thoughts for electors to think about.

I bet there´s some nice ideas inside the small parties, but unfortunately, they don´t reach the us people.

but pehaps i´m talking bullshit, i´m not from inside to know how things work.
...it´s a miracle.

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sat Oct 09, 2004 12:34 am

MAJINDIEGO wrote: do you mean the bipolar party contest?
actually, i was referring to the elite 1%, but the bipolar party contest is an equally valid retardation of the U.S. elections.
MAJINDIEGO wrote: but pehaps i´m talking bullshit, i´m not from inside to know how things work.
No bullshit, mr. diego. You're totally on point. There are so many people here who actually don't even know that there's more than two parties. In fact, something over 90 candidates ran for president this year, and 72 are still in the race, representing 28 parties. But people really think it's only bush and kerry. It's fucking pathetic. I don't know who to be the most upset with; the media, the corporations, the 1%, or the common people.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:11 am

I know what I'm about to say sounds stupid, but there are probably millions of common Americans who would be a much better President than the one in office now. But, these people have neither the money or backing to get out there&get known, and spread their message to the people.
Lots of untapped potential out there!
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:34 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:I know what I'm about to say sounds stupid, but there are probably millions of common Americans who would be a much better President than the one in office now.
I would really like to agree with you. Bush is really fucking things up. But what really scares me is...what if it CAN'T get better? No matter who's in charge....?

Every presidential candidate promises change, but in all these years nothing's really changed that much. Which leads me to believe that it's quite possible that all the good intention in the world won't change things.

Especially in jobs, there have been a lot of times for me when i've thought to myself, "wow that sucks. i'm going to change it for the better," but when i actually get closer to it i realize that there IS no changing it for the better, because there's so many other forces keeping it in place. I have to be afraid that perhaps the presidency is like that. The trend we've set for ourselves leave no room for major change. For example (and this is really basal so please don't nitpick at it), the american "way of life" that makes us so fuckin great :roll: has left us with a serious dependency on imports of all kinds (especially oil!!). we could really improve our situation, and the situations of others, if we would stop manipulating every fucking country to serve OUR needs. it's fucking gay and egotistical. We never had a Manifest Destiny and we still don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:08 am

"I would really like to agree with you. Bush is really fucking things up. But what really scares me is...what if it CAN'T get better? No matter who's in charge....?"

Now that is one seriously, VERY Scarey, terrifying thought! :eek:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:50 pm

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote: I don't know who to be the most upset with; the media, the corporations, the 1%, or the common people.
i guess they all have their share of blame. Although it´s hard as hell to escape when someone with that amount of power tries to brainwash you.
:wink:
For instance, i believe there should be a debate, at least, with the top 5 estimated voted.
If you broadcast a debate only with two candidates, which image are you trying to sell? 8)
HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:I would really like to agree with you. Bush is really fucking things up. But what really scares me is...what if it CAN'T get better? No matter who's in charge....?
I don´t think so. There´s a probability of either work things out or mess things up even more.
US haven´t reach lost it all, there´s still some faith. But with Bush´s policies the american haters in the world will just keep increasing.
Think with me:
(before this elections) - Well, at least the americans didn´t know that Bush was such a devil;
(after the elections) - Well, the americans chose him, AGAIN...they´re as devilish as him, so they must DIE!!

I believe the level of animosity towards US will increase...and you know what that generates: Terrorism

I guess there´s no other way of ending terrorism but to prove Us is not that bad. And choosing Busg again won´t be a smart choice. At least there´s what most of foreigners think.
:wink:
...it´s a miracle.

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:15 pm

MAJINDIEGO wrote:(before this elections) - Well, at least the americans didn´t know that Bush was such a devil;
(after the elections) - Well, the americans chose him, AGAIN...they´re as devilish as him, so they must DIE!!
Thank you for that itemization. I was actually sort of afraid that people would hold the "after elections" view already. at least i know that we're absolved of blame until november. :)
MAJINDIEGO wrote:I believe the level of animosity towards US will increase...and you know what that generates: Terrorism
i believe it will too. that's why this "war on terror" is absolute bullshit. i don't mean to state the obvious, but....well....it's a little disparaging that North Americans still buy into that whole thing.

My dad really said a stupid thing the other day. Now, mind you, my dad is an extremely smart man who has a law degree, and thus has learned to evaluate ALL sides of a conflict. Or so i thought.

Me: Look at that soccer mom on her cell phone.

Dad: Dumb bitch.

Me: Yeah, soccer moms are really scary.

Dad: Scary?? They just have a different lifestyle. <Gets agitated> Let me set you straight: The only thing that's "scary" is fanatical muslims.

Me: "Hey Yussuf, can i call you back in a few minutes? My dad's an idiot."

Just kidding about that last line. Unbeknownst to my father, though, I do consort with a young Muslim named Necmattin, and i find him to be quite a source of inspiration.

There is no reason for a guy like my dad, with a thirteen-digit IQ, to say things like "The only thing that's scary is fanatical Muslims". Especially with such vehemence. This is the same guy who, less than a week ago, recommended to me that i read the Bhagavad-Gita. What has this country gotten itself into, when people like that are manipulated into such fear and hatred? ? ? ? Ah, fuck, i'm so pissed off. Fuck this, I'm moving to Germany and marrying Twilight Symphony's guitar. :wink:

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:02 pm

Hey, just came by to say i´ve received my grade on that work, and i got a 10! (which means A+)
hehe!
I rule!
:P
...it´s a miracle.