Overrated metalbands

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
NeonVomit
Re: Overrated metalbands

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:06 am

Veripalttu wrote:Are we getting to the true metal thing again?
No, but saying Iron Maiden aren't metal is like saying Mozart wasn't a classical composer.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Painless_Cry

Post by Painless_Cry » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:14 am

Mormegil wrote:

1) It's "Rhapsody", not "Rhapsosy"
2) Rhapsody isn't creative? They were the ones who started the whole symphonic mighty warrior -power metal, which has then been copyed by several other bands.
3) So far they have only made one 20 min. song and they don't have those 10 min. songs more than for example Stratovarius.
4) Luca Turilli isn't the singer, Fabio Lione is. Turillli is guitarist.
you got me there...

well my mistake, I know it's rhapsody... bad typing...

well, true, they started the whole dragon thing... but... still! it's too boring to write about the same thing once and once again...

luca turilli, yeah on guitars, sorry... I meant Fabio Lione (amazing voice)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:57 am

Painless_Cry wrote:
well, true, they started the whole dragon thing... but... still! it's too boring to write about the same thing once and once again...
I agree fully.

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:03 am

Sknight2112 wrote:Until recently, here in San Jose 92.3 on the radio was KSJO AKA the Metallica/ AC/DC station, they even had a 'Manditory Metallica' program every night...
I feel your pain! On 105.9, every night we have "Get The Led Out". :yuk:

However, i'm grateful we don't have a nightly "Linkin Parking Lot" or "Fresh Bizkits" program or something even more retarded than that.
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:40 am

Twilightsymphony wrote:
neonlightchild wrote:CRADLE OF FILTH :lol:
Why? They can play their instruments, their songs have a great songwriting and atmosphere and the lyrics are very good too... they dont even need their stupid image. My opinion of course.... its surely a band that gets bashed way to often.

This thread has some kind of explosive potential 8) :wink:
Oh, they are truly great musicians, they really can play their instruments, and damn they did when Nicholas Barkes was behind the drums!!! :shock:
They have awesome albums, like The Principle of Evil Made Flesh, Vempire, DUSK AND HER EMBRACE ( :evil: ) and also Cruelty and the Beast were great albums, but after that they were not the same band, many changes came, from the line up to their musical direction they changed, and turned into a "fashionable black new metal band"...am I so wrong? :P

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:43 am

Leo wrote:But I don't think Iron Maiden is so very more metal band.
Oh Lord, please forgive him, he must be taking drugs :roll:

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:20 pm

NeonVomit wrote:and Falling Into Infinity is my favourite by them, simply because it's the most in-your-face headbangable kickass one. It's the most METAL
This is nonsense. If you want great hedbang in-your-face kickass metal, you don't listen to DT, listen to some Cheese Metal like SA or HammerFall and his countless clones. And besides I think ToT and 6DOIT are both very heavy and still great records. But I think we'll never agree on this :D For me, DT is the only metal band that never gets me bored, I can listen to it all day long, I will still enjoy it. But some other bands like the aforementioned get me bored after five minutes. Just a matter of tastes I think :)
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:12 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:and Falling Into Infinity is my favourite by them, simply because it's the most in-your-face headbangable kickass one. It's the most METAL
This is nonsense. If you want great hedbang in-your-face kickass metal, you don't listen to DT, listen to some Cheese Metal like SA or HammerFall and his countless clones. And besides I think ToT and 6DOIT are both very heavy and still great records. But I think we'll never agree on this :D For me, DT is the only metal band that never gets me bored, I can listen to it all day long, I will still enjoy it. But some other bands like the aforementioned get me bored after five minutes. Just a matter of tastes I think :)
If you reffer "DT" to Dark Tranquillity, then i agree with you :D :lol: :lol: :lol: if not....it doesn't matter my friend hehe

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:26 pm

neonlightchild wrote:
MaFiaBoY wrote:
If you reffer "DT" to Dark Tranquillity, then i agree with you :D :lol: :lol: :lol: if not....it doesn't matter my friend hehe
Nope, DT is Dream Theater :D But the same goes for Dark Tranquility, great band too.

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:33 pm

(1721+15)

Metallica is definitaly one of the most overrated metal bands. They have many good songs, but they are a bit boring...
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:05 am

MaFiaBoY wrote:
neonlightchild wrote:
MaFiaBoY wrote:
Nope, DT is Dream Theater :D But the same goes for Dark Tranquility, great band too.
Dark Tranquility, now THEY I LIKE! Seen em live twice, amazing both times. Mixing really varied technical stuff, with great melodies and STRUCTURE and fantastic songwriting. I think they're MUCH better songwriters than Dream Theater.

As for the other comment, you misunderstood me when I said I liked FII because it's more metal, never mind, i cant be bothered to explain.

But yeah. I still think Dream Theater are overrated, but then again that's just my opinion. You have to admit I at least back my opinions up with reasons that make sense, unlike many other people...

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:14 am

NeonVomit wrote:
MaFiaBoY wrote:
neonlightchild wrote:
MaFiaBoY wrote:
Dark Tranquility, now THEY I LIKE! Seen em live twice, amazing both times. Mixing really varied technical stuff, with great melodies and STRUCTURE and fantastic songwriting. I think they're MUCH better songwriters than Dream Theater.

As for the other comment, you misunderstood me when I said I liked FII because it's more metal, never mind, i cant be bothered to explain.

But yeah. I still think Dream Theater are overrated, but then again that's just my opinion. You have to admit I at least back my opinions up with reasons that make sense, unlike many other people...
When you don't want to bother to explain your point ? Just kidding, I understood whan you meant :) But I still think thad DT is one of the greatest bands of all times (if not THE greatest), so they simply can't be overrated :D How much tastes an be different...

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:23 am

Yeah I love Dark Tranquility as well :D

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:55 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Yeah I love Dark Tranquility as well :D
Yeah!!!! :D :D :D
When i put on my cd player "The Minds I" and "Damage Done" i can't skip any track....i know Dream Theatre is a great band...but when it comes to "DT'S" i stay with Dark Tranquillity hehehehehe :D :shock: :D :shock:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:58 pm

I adore Lethe, from The Gallery. One of the most powerful songs I know, and by powerful i don't mean fastest/heaviest/most technical, power has nothing to do with that.

THE most powerful song I've ever heard in my life is a 70-year old bluesman singing unaccompanied, with only clapping. THAT was true power in music.

Dawn_is_Here

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:21 pm

This is what Metal fans consider the best band in this "tournament":

Rock On!

ElDiablo

Post by ElDiablo » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:40 pm

Well it's easy to get popular by doing the same stuff over and over again. Maybe they once were a bit more innovative (like 20 years ago) but currently they aren't too original anymore.

And yet again, the band has it's moments, but what I truly dislike are the "fanboys" around their product :D
'Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses' - Arthur C. Clarke

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:48 pm

ElDiablo wrote:Well it's easy to get popular by doing the same stuff over and over again. Maybe they once were a bit more innovative (like 20 years ago) but currently they aren't too original anymore.

And yet again, the band has it's moments, but what I truly dislike are the "fanboys" around their product :D
Really? Have you actually listened to 'Dance of Death' and paid attention to it?

Really doesnt sound like anything theyve ever done.

Sir. Decadence

Post by Sir. Decadence » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:43 pm

Dawn_is_Here wrote:This is what Metal fans consider the best band in this "tournament":
Okey, where the hell is Metallica?
Or Dream Theater?
That tournament is the most stupid thing that I have seen in a while...

I think bands like Korn, Evanescence, SlipKnot and so on are overrated.
But it's just my opinion, just like that stupid tournament have opinions of some certain metalfans.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:16 pm

Sir. Decadence wrote:
Dawn_is_Here wrote:This is what Metal fans consider the best band in this "tournament":
Okey, where the hell is Metallica?
Or Dream Theater?
That tournament is the most stupid thing that I have seen in a while...

I think bands like Korn, Evanescence, SlipKnot and so on are overrated.
But it's just my opinion, just like that stupid tournament have opinions of some certain metalfans.
1 agree with you 110%, this "tournament" is bullshit :/

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:00 pm

Slipknot are a very very funny case. Yes, there are a bunch of 14 year old nu metallers who love them, but they actually have some INCREDIBLY good death metal - YES, Death Metal songs. As in, proper Morbid Angel-like songs.

Yeah, they're overrated by many people, but a lot of people immediately dismiss them, so are underrated by others... funny huh.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:04 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Slipknot are a very very funny case. Yes, there are a bunch of 14 year old nu metallers who love them, but they actually have some INCREDIBLY good death metal - YES, Death Metal songs. As in, proper Morbid Angel-like songs.

Yeah, they're overrated by many people, but a lot of people immediately dismiss them, so are underrated by others... funny huh.
I absolutely love Slipknot. Those who bash this band, mostly do this after hearing couple of songs or just hearing from the friends that this band is nu-metal. IOWA and their last album have some of the heaviest stuff nowadays ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:09 pm

Shurik wrote: Those who bash this band, mostly do this after hearing couple of songs ...
Like 'Wait and Bleed' maybe?

Its exactly like people hating Stratovarius just because they heard Eagleheart on the radio and saying it's all popmetal...

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:16 pm

Indeed.
BTW, Slipknot have one of the best metal drummers in the world, this guy is insane, he's like a drum machine ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Sir. Decadence

Post by Sir. Decadence » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:55 pm

SlipKnot have some quite good songs, ok.
But they sucks live, really.
They are so much worse than in albums.
And I HAVE SEEN THEM LIVE, so I know what I am talking about.
My friend has seen them live twice, he likes them in the albums, but he says too that they really sucks live.
But this is also a opinion question, so it's stupid to debate about it.

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:11 pm

i cant really see the point why there have to be 9 members, as the music doesnt seem to be that complex. I have their latest album and i think its quite ok, nothing i would always listen to, but some songs are pretty good. The Blister exists is great.

I dont think they are that extreme though ;)
One of the few modern sounding bands i might appreciate.. they surely have some potential.

Overrated: Bands like Mayhem and Belphegor who are mainly successful because of some queer facts in their history...
Delusions Of Grandeur

Veripalttu

Post by Veripalttu » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:04 am

That tournament shows why I think Maiden is overrated. Maiden is good but not that good.
I haven't killed him yet sir,
But when I do, I shall have the stomach and the liver too,
And the floppily doppilies in their horrid glue.

Sknight2112

Post by Sknight2112 » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:25 am

acctualy i think the tourny is pretty good, its nto exactly how i would rate it but close to. To me there is really no arguement, Maiden is the best to me, I mean after so amny years they can still pull out stuff that blows me away like... the entire dance of death album
United metallians ready to strike!!!!

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:44 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Shurik wrote: Those who bash this band, mostly do this after hearing couple of songs ...
Like 'Wait and Bleed' maybe?

Its exactly like people hating Stratovarius just because they heard Eagleheart on the radio and saying it's all popmetal...
Well, Eagleheart is terrible song. I think too that Eagleheart is popmetal and HHAL-clone...

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:15 pm

I think Eagleheart is at least 10,000 times better than HH&L...
And I also agree about Maiden winning the tournament, but they should win the final against Dream Theater and this would be a VERY close match :D